Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 16 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    @SkScotchegg - The reason might be because lots of people had problems with audio on the CV1. Didn't the ribbon cable wear out and snap for a fair few people? I also suspect it's due to the more robust design of the Rift -S, which is designed like PS-VR. It would be hard getting the headphones adjusted to your ears with the PSVR design, which btw I find really comfortable.

I quite like the Rift- S for the price, if it's £399 I think it's worth it. You can spend an extra £100 on a good pair of headphones that are better then the current Rift's speakers and that makes it £499, which is still worth it.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,200
    Wintermute
    kojack said:
    Aekero said:
    It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
    Yeah, that price was rather painful.

But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? :)
    (Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)

It's a sad day for VR lol.

I still love my Rift but I just can't get over removing the hadphones on Rift S. I'm going to have nightmares tonight where I'm talking to myself in my sleep saying "no, no, no, don't remove the headphones! No please! No God please!!! don't take my headphones away!!!!" :(
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    edited March 20
    pyroth309 said:
    Ok that's hilarious.
    Whoever made this that's my future boyfriend/girlfriend :lol:
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    MowTin said:
    Rift S fixes everything for me that I didnt like about the CV1

• Optics (Going from GO to my Rift always feels like I am looking through vaseline covered glass) GO optics are superior to pretyt much anything else out there, and that is a fact, look it up.
    • SDE: Great Resolution (Go panel is not pentile so no more maura, much higher pixel fill,  no blotches of redness, perceived SDE is much lower)  
    • Vibrancy and brightness of the LCD panel in GO (its super bright and colours are soooo punchy, compared to RIFT).
    • Ergonomics, Rift is uncomfortable for me with my large head so this is a big improvement, I found PSVR HMD super comfy and this is a rip of that.
    • No more worrying that sensors are aligned properly or somebody moved them
    • Passthrough!
    • 3 USB ports will be freed up

I don't have a GPU to drive anything higher than that res reliably. Even my 1080 even struggles sometimes.

If you own a GO, 60hz looks perfectly fine. 80hz on the Rift S will make no difference to you from 90, yet you are saving 10fps of horsepower.

One small thing is that LCD's blacks are not pure black.

Everything else ticks the boxes for me.

The baffling thing for most of us is why the resolution is lower than the Quest. I think it will ultimately come down to how it looks. I'm worried about the lack of deep blacks in space games like Elite Dangerous. 

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Rift S fixes everything for me that I didnt like about the CV1

• Optics (Going from GO to my Rift always feels like I am looking through vaseline covered glass) GO optics are superior to pretyt much anything else out there, and that is a fact, look it up.
    • SDE: Great Resolution (Go panel is not pentile so no more maura, much higher pixel fill,  no blotches of redness, perceived SDE is much lower)  
    • Vibrancy and brightness of the LCD panel in GO (its super bright and colours are soooo punchy, compared to RIFT).
    • Ergonomics, Rift is uncomfortable for me with my large head so this is a big improvement, I found PSVR HMD super comfy and this is a rip of that.
    • No more worrying that sensors are aligned properly or somebody moved them
    • Passthrough!
    • 3 USB ports will be freed up

I don't have a GPU to drive anything higher than that res reliably. Even my 1080 even struggles sometimes.

If you own a GO, 60hz looks perfectly fine. 80hz on the Rift S will make no difference to you from 90, yet you are saving 10fps of horsepower.

One small thing is that LCD's blacks are not pure black.

Everything else ticks the boxes for me.

The baffling thing for most of us is why the resolution is lower than the Quest. I think it will ultimately come down to how it looks. I'm worried about the lack of deep blacks in space games like Elite Dangerous. 

We'll the black levels of the Oculus Go are supposed to be pretty good and the colours are supposed to be more vibrant too, and the SDE is also pretty much gone too apparently. I'm guessing that you'll probably get used to the black levels and won't notice them that much in game.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    edited March 20
    MowTin said:
    i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high spec rift as well as the rift S.
    I don't get that either. I'm thinking they were obsessed with the price. 

Everyone was hoping for simply a wired Quest. 

I'm beginning to think my next headset will be a Vive. The knuckles controllers look awesome. 

I'm also worried about my space games. If the Blacks aren't as deep then that may be a deal breaker. 
    I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,406 Valuable Player
    edited March 20

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.
    What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using in CV1 does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.
    Mradr said:

What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.
    Pentile vs Grid + Pixel Fill
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Mradr said:

What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.
    That isn't a limitation of OLED though. That just how pixels are lay out.
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:

That isn't a limitation of OLED though. That just how pixels are lay out.

Oh for sure, but those are the panels they are using .. I could obviously be talking out of my butthole ... but AFAIK that could be a reason. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to 
    My guess is they feel they've been winning the HMD wars with their low prices. They didn't want to raise the price or the minimum specs for PC VR because they feel these are the biggest barriers to entry. 

The problem with higher resolutions is very few people have to power to push those pixels. And the render target resolution is usually a lot higher. (correct me if I'm wrong) than the display resolution. 

I have a 2080 ti and I find that with a high super sampling (1.7 to 2.0) things look really good. So just raw resolution may not be the biggest issue in terms of image clarity. 

I think they see the Rift S as an update to the Rift not an upgrade. They needed the update to compete with the WMR headsets and retain their market share while they (hopefully) work on a Rift 2.0. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Wintermute
    All I wanted was increased FOV but what I actually got instead was...they took my earphones away. :(
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 422
    Trinity
    I don't understand why they would take the built in earphones away from the Rift? I mean come on? Why would you do that?

I was excited for the Rift S but that I'm just puzzled by, I really can't understand it. I really don't want to have to plug headphones in every time I put on the Rift S.

When I saw Quest, I thought wow, that looked awesome, and it has updated touch controllers and it's wireless so imagine playing Beat Saber with Quest, that will be wicked, I will buy Quest just for Beat Saber alone. And that was before Beat Saber was even confirmed for quest.

Rift-S and Quest feature the same sound tube system. So if you're gonna use headphones with Rift-S, you'll be doing the same with Quest.  BTW, the sound tubes are pretty good on GO.

And to echo other comments, Screen Door Effect and Clarity.
    Ben Lang from RoadToVR was on Reddit answering questions.  He said the Rift-S screen looks a lot better than what the specs state; mainly because it's an RBG screen (I believe Pimax also uses RBG).  The screen door effect is greatly reduce with RBG, thus greatly increasing clarity.  In his answer, he put the Rift-S just a notch below Vive Pro; so it sounds like the Rift-S could be "similar" to a 1600p OLED.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited March 20
    MowTin said:
    i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high spec rift as well as the rift S.
    I don't get that either. I'm thinking they were obsessed with the price. 

Everyone was hoping for simply a wired Quest. 

I'm beginning to think my next headset will be a Vive. The knuckles controllers look awesome. 

I'm also worried about my space games. If the Blacks aren't as deep then that may be a deal breaker. 
    I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to 

But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

The sensors might still be used to track the controllers if Oculus decide to keep this in their software. I think people's feedback will make them decide to do this, so I have a feeling it will stay in for now. 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,025 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    vannagirl said:
    vannagirl said:
    This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy

Flippin heck, where did you pop up from?

As for upgrade, i don't think it's much of one.  This is great for new PC VR users, might be worthwhile if you have the money (and already have a Rift).
    Haha

back to kill off this sausagefest!!!
    Oh so you ARE still alive. Was beginning to wonder if Snowdog had chased you down and you were in hiding. LOL

That said I am extremely disappointed in this so-called new replacement for the oculus rift. So unless there is a massive price cut I will not be getting one.
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

I don't agree mate, like I said in my previous post, the tracking and headphones was flawless for most Rift users and din't need to be changed. Don't forget people don't post on the forums every time their Rift works and says "Hey guys, my Rift is working 100% perfectly, just wanted to let you know". Instead people post when their Rift isn't working and complain about their individual issue which is in the minority of Rift users. 
    edited March 20
    And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...

Probably a visit to chocoholics anonymous.

You have to remember this is all about keeping prices low and getting numbers into VR. Adding £100 here an there for things like added speakers isn't going to get numbers into VR. VR will die a death eventually if it doesn't get lots of people on-board, it's as simple as that really. 

Keeping costs down is the only way to get lots of people into VR, unless you can think of another way?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    ... just logged back in to get caught up on "you have 64 notifications"

need more coffee
    Can we keep it to coffee Mr Zen....... :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    I own a GO as well as my Rift and yeah I agree with yourself and others, the GO sound is amazing, BUT for me, it's amazing as a media center for watching Netflix, YouTube and Live events. I don't want that same technology on my Rift and I don't want to have to plug in headphones either.

The Rift CV1 headphones for me, sound amazing, super comfy, and I've never had any issues with them. Also I've never had any issues with tracking either. So there are some people who would say "lets get rid of the headphones and tracking because we have problems with them" but i'm sure that's the minority, for everyone else the tracking and headphones were flawless. So that's what's makes this announcement so sad for me.

And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...
    Plugging in some headphones is not a big deal. And maybe it's nice to have the option of not using headphone when the wife is around talking to you (or just for being aware of your surroundings) :)

And if we can press a button and see the wife using passthrough, that would be good too. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    See! I told ya she'd miss me!!!  <3
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited March 20
    RedRizla said:

The sensors might still be used to track the controllers if Oculus decide to keep this in their software. I think people's feedback will make them decide to do this, so I have a feeling it will stay in for now. 
    True, but now that they have a more static strap, your argument about ribbon cables breaking should now be fix, would it not? That was more of a design flaw than it was a unfix-able problem honestly. I understand GO open air speakers are good - but I love the headphones that the OG CV1 came with too. For me it's not that much of a deal breaker - but it was nice to have something over the ear that was usually only heard by you than something everyone going to be hearing along the fact that you couldn't hear anything else outside of the game too.

Granted I like the earphone jack as an option - but to be force to have to use it instead seems 100% backwards.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,379 Valuable Player

I copied the two points that caught my attention the most:
    a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 20
    I feel like this is a better quote:

"Do you buy an iPhone this year or next year?" says Rubin. "That question is perpetual and not going away now we have the manufacturing infrastructure the world has.
    "Having said that, if you haven't bought a new iPhone for several models, the vast majority of the software works the same. The software doesn't change, and that's where we are right now with our ecosystem. It is possible there'll be new hardware in the next few years, but the ecosystem... We plan on making sure that software comes with you, so there's really no reason not to buy now. Same with your phone -- you buy when you want to buy."