Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 23 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    Some of you are humerus. I won't name name but some of the gripers biggest gripes was how horrible the god rays are in the rift way before now. Some of those people  are saying they will wait. Well either your hypocrites or the god rays weren't bothering you as much as you said.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,894 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    inovator said:
    Some of you are humerus. I won't name name but some of the gripers biggest gripes was how horrible the god rays are in the rift way before now. Some of those people  are saying they will wait. Well either your hypocrites or the god rays weren't bothering you as much as you said.

You are being highly premature with the attempt to call people hypocrites. When people complained about God Rays the never said that they want their hand-tracking downgraded. You are missing the point.

Imagine if your car engine failed, and when your mechanic fixed it, he removed the Power Steering. And when you complained that turning sucks, he responded, "Well  you're a hypocrite because all you cared about was a running engine."
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,593 Valuable Player
    ohgrant said:
     Not sure at this point what will be my next purchase. Modding my Vive with the gear VR lenses gave me greater appreciation for the importance of the optics for me to get the most immersive experience. I was still using my DK2 when I got my gear VR. When I first got my Rift those ridged plastic Fresnel lenses were a bit of a disappointment when it came to watching 3D movies and apps that were cross platform to gear VR and CV1 and didn't really benefit from PC mojo. When I picked up my Vive real cheap, first thing I noticed was the image quality was pretty much unbearable to me with those hazy optics. 
     I'm not sure if the lenses in the Gear VR are considered Fresnel. They don't have the layered ridges the Vive and Rift has, completely smooth convex lens just like all the ghetto mobile VR headsets, but much higher quality, I've seen. It seems like those ridged outer ring lenses are a premium feature only on high end VR gear. 
     To my eyes what those ridged outer rings do it add a bit of haze and blurriness, create a sweet spot and magnify a bit, slightly making the SDE more apparent there but blur the outer area. Also the cause of godrays Makes me think it's designed purpose was kind of a built in comfort mode. . With the lens mod, there is no sweet spot, SDE is apparent less at the sweet spot IMO , maximum super sampling and no ridges has made me content with current gear. The Rifts optics suffer to a much lesser degree than the stock Vive optics. If the lenses in the R-S are of the same smooth design as the Gear VR lenses, I'll probably get one sooner or later. 
      I'm going to keep my money ready for the inevitable price war when Vive releases their outsourced mobile/PC offering.
     At the end of the day I think it all will have a good effect on the VR scene if sales permit, there will be more people buying VR games and apps. The lower specs will force the devs to do more with less in a x86 Win environment. 

There won't be a price war of any description when the Vive Cosmos is released because it'll be at least twice as expensive as the Rift S knowing HTC.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Project 2501
    I stand by what I said.
    inovator said:
    I stand by what I said.

I stand by the fact that you don't understand what people were asking for.
    Project 2501
    We will agree to disagree in this case. 
    inovator said:
    We will agree to disagree in this case. 

You haven't proven your case. Unless you can pick a specific quote by a person who literally said "I want God Rays fixed, it's all I care about" and then quote them again complaining about Rift-S... then all you did was make up a fictitious story in order to falsely call someone a hypocrite.

There is no case to either agree or disagree with. There's just you making up a story and badly judging both people and a situation. That doesn't help this discussion in any constructive way.
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist

Project 2501
    Time to move on. Nothing to prove. The people I'm referring to know who they are. We have all been hypocritical in our lives. Nobody in what I mentioned are evil. I will not name names to prove something that is no big deal. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,061 Valuable Player
    inovator said:

I am one of those people who said I would like to see Godrays gone, but I am not a hypocrite. A hypocrite is someone who acts one way but who really believes something else. Someone who admits they are having second thoughts about something is just being honest, so can't be classed as a hypocrite for giving an honest opinion.

When I compare the Oculus Rift -S and Oculus Quest, for me it caused me to have a bigger gripe then Godrays. I see one VR headset with good hardware and another headset with not such good hardware going for the same price. Had Rift -S been cheaper then I might have thought differently. 

I will probably pick up the Oculus Quest, but I haven't decided yet because I'm a PC gamer.
    inovator said:
    Time to move on. Nothing to prove. The people I'm referring to know who they are. We have all been hypocritical in our lives. Nobody in what I mentioned are evil. I will not name names to prove something that is no big deal. 

Right so if there's nothing to prove then there's also no reason to call people hypocrites. Blanket name-calling makes situations worse, not better. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if people started pulling your quotes together to call you "ignorant."
    Project 2501
    Being hypocritical isn't ignorant. It's interesting your taking this so personal.
    inovator said:
    Being hypocritical isn't ignorant. It's interesting your taking this so personal.
    I never said that being hypocritical is the same as being ignorant. But I do think that it is ignorant to think that someone who wants reduced God Rays is a hypocrite because when the God Rays were reduced the Tracking was also reduced. That's not how hypocrisy works, and it is ignorant to think otherwise.
    Project 2501
    I'm  not saying anyone who wants god rays gone are hypocritical. Those that say the rift  is OK but it's not enough of an upgrade but won't upgrade when they hate god rays, are whom I'm talking about. If you hate god rays it should be reason enough if you are OK with the rift s in general.
    inovator said:
    I'm  not saying anyone who wants god rays gone are hypocritical. Those that say the rift  is OK but it's not enough of an upgrade but won't upgrade when they hate god rays, are whom I'm talking about. If you hate god rays it should be reason enough if you are OK with the rift s in general.

I never hated the God Rays, and Oculus did end up reducing them over a year ago with a Software Upgrade. I would love to see God Rays reduced further, but not at the cost of losing my perfect 360 hand-tracking.

You are still 100% wrong to suggest that people who hated God Rays are now hypocrites because they won't settle for the loss of integrated hardware audio and reduced hand-tracking accuracy. For you to call people hypocrites in this situation makes you seem ignorant.

The fact that you continue trying to stand your ground doesn't help your situation. Anyone who understands the concept of "hypocrisy" knows that it is completely inapplicable in this situation. So either you don't understand the difference between the Rift-S and Rift CV1, or you don't understand what "hypocrisy" means.

Either way, this discussion should involve addressing the issues and not trying to insult people. You are the one who turned this discussion in to name-calling. And you couldn't even back it up.
    Project 2501
    I never said you hated god rays. (Interesting)Relax pour yourself a nightcap and it will be better in the morning. 
    inovator said:
    I never said you hated god rays. (Interesting)Relax pour yourself a nightcap and it will be better in the morning. 

I was just clarifying my personal stance on God Rays as an example. I'm also pointing out that those who hate God Rays clearly didn't want to have other features downgraded. But that's the part you seem to be struggling with.

And believe me, I am calm. I'm just challenging your decision to start name-calling. Don't get scared!
    :D
    Project 2501
    We can agree to disagree. Have a good night. You wore me out.
    Project 2501
    From someone that tried both.
    But switching back and forth between Quest and Rift S, one thing became clear: The difference between mobile and PC felt like it was fading away. Rather than push further into higher-end VR, Oculus is converging the Rift S and Quest, and soon enough, there might not be any rift at all.
    edited March 21
    inovator said:
    From someone that tried both.
    But switching back and forth between Quest and Rift S, one thing became clear: The difference between mobile and PC felt like it was fading away. Rather than push further into higher-end VR, Oculus is converging the Rift S and Quest, and soon enough, there might not be any rift at all.

Well even if the Rift remains for another 5 years, I'm sure you'll still be around to make fake predictions and call people hypocrites as your only means to understand complicated situations.
    ;)
    Project 2501
    Wow your like a pit bull. This was not me saying this it was someone who expressed his opinion after trying both. Give me a few minutes and I'll get the link.
    inovator said:

Not sure what conversation you think we were having, but that article doesn't demonstrate anything to prove your case about Hypocrites.
    Project 2501
    I'm not a pit bull I changed the subject.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    Rift CV1 in the US is now Unavailable - https://www.oculus.com/rift

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,061 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    inovator said:

That article suggest that the Rift -S and Oculus Quest will be £300? I'm not sure that is correct but if it is I would definatly reconsider. This is what part of the article says: "Both models will cost $399, which converts to about £300". I was thinking it would be more like £399.

I'll wait for more reviews before I decide which headset I'm getting. I need an upgrade before Rift 2 arrives even if that means jumping ship to HP Reverb.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,419
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    I've already seen that video, and again... that's a video where people use it to talk about how it is "not flawless." I am not going to transcribe yet another video for you! lol

You don't have to transcribe anything people can watch the video for themselves. The two guys in that video literally said it was "flawless." They praised the tracking. People have seen plenty of first impressions regarding the Rift S. They can judge for themselves how most reviewers felt about the tracking regardless of what you or I say. 

I'm going to wait for Valve to announce Half Life VR and knuckles controllers. Oculus has no high end PC VR offering at the moment. 
    MowTin said:
    You don't have to transcribe anything people can watch the video for themselves. The two guys in that video literally said it was "flawless."
    Ah, you are still going with that story? Okay, repetition ensues!

It is only flawless within the tracking area. But this is the whole story which you continue to intentionally ignore:
    You're absolutely right that given that the sensors on the headset are tracking the controllers, there are going to be certain places where you're able to occlude the controller from the headset (Nate puts his hands behind his back). Or up close (Nate puts his hands on his forehead). That's exactly right. There are basically two areas that are problematic.