Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 24 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,787 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Some of you are humerus. I won't name name but some of the gripers biggest gripes was how horrible the god rays are in the rift way before now. Some of those people  are saying they will wait. Well either your hypocrites or the god rays weren't bothering you as much as you said.
    I always said god rays were not that bad in-game for the most part.
    But the problem is "at what cost" to remove the godrays.?

FOV has steadily declined since DK1 and CV1 is rock bottom for what I feel is acceptable now, but some are saying riftS is a bit worse.

OLED panel loss . Again YMMV but I won the panel lottery with CV1 and don't suffer with the issues of some.

Same with tracking and constellation. My 3 sensor setup has behaved perfectly after getting a £5 usb3 card from about 6 months after touch launched.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,001 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    inovator said:
    Some of you are humerus. I won't name name but some of the gripers biggest gripes was how horrible the god rays are in the rift way before now. Some of those people  are saying they will wait. Well either your hypocrites or the god rays weren't bothering you as much as you said.

I am one of those people who said I would like to see Godrays gone, but I am not a hypocrite. A hypocrite is someone who acts one way but who really believes something else. Someone who admits they are having second thoughts about something is just being honest, so can't be classed as a hypocrite for giving an honest opinion. 

Agreed, I'd love to get rid of god rays too - but not if it'll cost an arm and a leg - or my black OLED screens - or my beloved sensors - or my headphones - or 80 Hz - or digital IPD. Also I'm not the greatest nature lover, but I'm not a fan of the throw-away society. Not that it has to be all green, but being able to reuse what isn't broken - like my external sensors and Touch - would be something I'd greatly appreciate. (I did read that the new Lenovo WMR headset *cough!* I mean Rift-S is incompatible with the external sensors at least the HMD, so changes to compatibility design choices should have been made long ago.) 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited March 22
    Wildt said:
    This new Lenovo is in my book an arguably fancy WMR device. You can get WMR devices for  $199 - and they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. What makes FB think THIS device is gonna make anyone on the fence about PCVR put down twice as much now?

That was my initial thoughts on it. It looks like an improved Lenovo explorer with 3 more cameras. It feels more like a punt to a later date (if CV2 rumors are real) or just an abandonment of PCVR than a winning strategy to me. The Quest actually looks like an Oculus device. 

*edit* ok abandonment might be strong, appeasement while they focus on Quest. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,672 Valuable Player
    As far as marketing goes, HP's Reverb is abandoning the exact same look that the new Rift-S adopted. Worse yet, HP's Reverb "upgrades" the HMD to look like a Rift. That's bad marketing for Rift-S.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,795 Valuable Player
    Yeah, the HP looks A LOT like a CV1 :smile:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,672 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, the HP looks A LOT like a CV1 :smile:
    And the Rift-S looks A LOT like the "old" HP.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Wildt said:
    This new Lenovo is in my book an arguably fancy WMR device. You can get WMR devices for  $199 - and they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. What makes FB think THIS device is gonna make anyone on the fence about PCVR put down twice as much now?
    I've never used a WMR so I don't know how good/bad the 2-camera optical tracking is. But everyone who's used it says Insight is great. Constellation was always a janky jury-rigged solution that needed you to spend an extra $70 (I think?) on an extra sensor to get the best 360/room scale. Insight was built from the ground up to be the best inside-out tracking system yet seen. Aside from people putting what I feel is WAY too much emphasis on how well Insight works when controllers are out of the cameras' field of view, it seems like Insight will be as good or better than constellation - especially Constellation with just 2 cameras.

The OTHER thing you're getting over any other WMR headset is the Touch controllers, which are obviously the best out there right now. Even the HP Reverb won't have that. So you're getting a Oculus-ecosystem WMR headset with the best tracking and the best controllers. I wish it was $300 or $350, but still, I think you're getting a better headset than other WMR ones. And $200 cheaper than the Reverb which again, has worse controllers and only 2 cameras.

To me the only letdown is the displays. If they had gone with 2K by 2K per eye LCD like HP, or even something like 1700 by 1700, I think people would be a lot less disappointed - even with worse black levels. And of course the other option would have been to use the same resolution OLED as Quest. I really hope there's a "Rift S Plus/Pro" in a LOT sooner than 3 years that has either a higher res LCD or Quest-resolution OLED. Because that would be the thing for current Rift owners to upgrade to.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Rift CV1 in the US is now Unavailable - https://www.oculus.com/rift

The price for my used Rift CV1 just went from 1K to 2K, thanks! Sensors can be bought separately from me - $500 per piece - hurry, this price is only valid until lunch today!
    Lol probably scalpers bought all the remaining Rift CV1's up.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,795 Valuable Player
    Lujho said:
    Wildt said:
    I've never used a WMR so I don't know how good/bad the 2-camera optical tracking is. But everyone who's used it says Insight is great. Constellation was always a janky jury-rigged solution that needed you to spend an extra $70 (I think?) on an extra sensor to get the best 360/room scale. Insight was built from the ground up to be the best inside-out tracking system yet seen. Aside from people putting what I feel is WAY too much emphasis on how well Insight works when controllers are out of the cameras' field of view, it seems like Insight will be as good or better than constellation - especially Constellation with just 2 cameras.

The OTHER thing you're getting over any other WMR headset is the Touch controllers, which are obviously the best out there right now. Even the HP Reverb won't have that. So you're getting a Oculus-ecosystem WMR headset with the best tracking and the best controllers. I wish it was $300 or $350, but still, I think you're getting a better headset than other WMR ones. And $200 cheaper than the Reverb which again, has worse controllers and only 2 cameras.

To me the only letdown is the displays. If they had gone with 2K by 2K per eye LCD like HP, or even something like 1700 by 1700, I think people would be a lot less disappointed - even with worse black levels. And of course the other option would have been to use the same resolution OLED as Quest. I really hope there's a "Rift S Plus/Pro" in a LOT sooner than 3 years that has either a higher res LCD or Quest-resolution OLED. Because that would be the thing for current Rift owners to upgrade to.
    We're talking about the device to help PCVR mass adoption.
    You really think that people, who for some reason didn't buy any of the existing cheaper HMD's, are gonna buy this $400 device based on the promise of different controllers and tracking that's said to be better than something they've never tried?

Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,738
    Project 2501
    Palmer saying if you give everyone a headset in the world  for free that alone wouldn't create a mass market. (I'm paraphrasing) i do agree with him. When reading all the article, I take out of the article that you need 3 things to grow the vr market. 1. great content. 2. Continuing hardware improvement and 3. A price that will acceptable to the masses. I believe that is what oculus is doing. Zuckerberg did say after all it would take at least 10 years.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,787 Valuable Player
    Despite not being that interested myself in rift s I do think rifts is a good product for helping getting vr off the ground in a way the pimax 5k or vive pro can't .
    I DONT think rift s is just a windows MR device because it has something windows MR owners and inknownfor a fact some vivers would dearly love.... The oculus infrastructure and software.

I love that the rift S exists but I wish it was a bit cheaper. IF oculus reaally want a device for the masses then not increasing minimum specs is a win, ease of setup is a win... But $399 plus taxes I think is a bit pricy .I predict $299 by Xmas.

The only thing I really wish is oculus ALSO offered a high end device and given they are not making these things themselves I would like to think they could have offered a rift S and a rift X.

Optional constellation support for touch is a no brainer. There is no hardware reason not to so it should not even be a decision. Will only need 2 as well so that still frees up a usb 3. Hell 2x usb2 would do it.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,738
    Project 2501
    I believe it's not just for new people. I say this in a good way that pc gamers which are many on this forum are some of the pickiest gamers of all times. My son is one of them. I can see decisions to buy may be over multiple issues or just one issue like I hate sensor set up or finally no more god raya etc. Its an individual thing. 
  • twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 416
    Trinity
    Removing hardware IPD for software IPD with a lower range is a sad design choice for Rift S. With 70-71 IPD, I already know Rift S is not for me.
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
    Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited March 22
    A.Force said:
     and that the technology has still not advanced enough to warrant an upgrade for me in 2019.

This IS the disappointment lol.

But I do agree with you. I was pretty upset after the reveal and disappointed. After that, I've moved on. I just like the conversation mostly and also have been providing my perspective as a WMR owner for people considering the HP with as little bias as possible. I'm also trying to make work go by lol.

I've already got money set aside to go big on GPU and to go big on a headset if I can ever spot one I deem worthy of it. I'll just buy some extra games in the meantime and hopefully will enjoy the Quest.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 397
    Trinity

Rift CV1 in the US is now Unavailable - https://www.oculus.com/rift

Our CV1's may become even more valuable if VR gamers are not happy with the dark levels or the inside out tracking of the S model, so i may have to box my CV1 away just in case its value soars. lol
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,566 Valuable Player
    I plan to retire mine one day, I have a mint unopened in box DK1 and DK2 but I am not buying a mint CV1 lol it will just be retired one day, placed in the lovely box it came in and put away for the future :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• IbegU2RiftIbegU2Rift Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    inovator said:
    Sensors high up for great tracking. My situation was I had to keep them lower. I had far from perfect tracking because I didn't have a way to place them high.I bet for me the s will have better tracking. Eeehaaaaa!!
    My sensors is at knee hight, and they track perfectly fine, maby you have a different problem.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited March 22
    I honestly have no problem with the look of the new Rift - S. I do want to say - I find it strange I love the new look of the HP REV. My first thought it was a Oculus product from HP when I saw it. Then I notice it was not - but even then I was like wow sexy :D until I found out more information about it. Something about that design just makes it look light and "open" to someone while the new RS looks heavy and a bit close off. Granted - that is not the case - I am just commenting on the fact of the look it self only. Far from that - I say as long as it works - then either design is ok. 

The Rift S is going to be what it is. At this point - Oculus needs to drop the act of being a close window and tells us more about their plans of the future. I don't mean give us a demo of the future and change it like they did (that was soo fing rude). What I mean is a real road map and their thought process on the products they have going forward with. How is the Rift-S going to effect the future of their 2.0 headset that everyone is waiting on. How does the Rift - S fit into the bigger picture. Is Rift S really a refresh or is it what they are betting is going to get them more people and that is the design they are going to upgrade/refresh every time now? How long are we going to be on the Rift - S? Does this reset the delay the enthusiasts have to wait? Are we going to see 4 products lines?

If you don't give any love to your enthusiasts customers - you do tend to lose one of the biggest voices for your product as well. Content is key - but your enthusiasts is what goes around telling everyone about the content and how amazing it is. If it isn't amazing to them - how do massive know or care?

If anything - Oculus should play this off and say Rift S is for the massive on the PC but for enthusiasts we have a another headset around the coroner for you. That they/we are going to have two product lines for PC as the scale of what entry is just too high to still bring out a better headset that fits everyone. They/we are sorry for not being more open and communicating this across to our customers - but they will work harder to let us know in the future at difference events through out the year on what we feel is the right direction for our product lines and what we want to cover in scope for each entry into VR.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    edited March 22
    Agree Oculus really needs to share a roadmap especially with all  the questions now on PC-VR after this Leno - err Rift S release.
    As far as I am concerned, when it comes to PC-VR Oculus has abandoned what "brung them to the party".
    Thankfully we now have other HMD manufacturers that are jumping in to fill that void.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,331 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I sense a slow build-up of sheer panic... It'll probably spread soon to Europe and then go global  :#

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b43u5h/oculus_rift_classic_unavailable_from_oculuscom/

Wow, that is messy handling of a situation that internally they knew was happening?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,001 Valuable Player
    edited March 22
    Just a few days ago this was a totally normal week - can't believe how fast life can change!  :open_mouth:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"