Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

ShocksVR
Superstar
I wonder what it'll be called.

Will they run with what the community named it and call it "Rift-S" ?

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I wonder what it'll be called.

Will they run with what the community named it and call it "Rift-S" ?

Rift-S makes it sound like an iPhone series lol

I hope they change the name for the final product. If not, all the anti-Oculus folks will dub it, "Rift-Sucks" lol

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
With the current Rift showing as sold out on a lot of websites, could this also mean that it's arrival is imminent? Like much sooner then we think?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

With the current Rift showing as sold out on a lot of websites sites, could this also mean that it's arrival is a imminent? Like much sooner then we think?

For @snowdog's sake I sure as hell hope so!
😛

I'm braced, and officially excited.

Wildt
Consultant
All naive wishes aside my gut tells me its a Wired Quest without the SoC, at an even cheaper price. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm really hoping for:
  1. Increased FoV
  2. Reduced Screen Door
  3. Reduced God Rays
  4. Improved Black Levels
  5. Eye Tracking

The biggy for me is increased pixels per degree and we know that's a definite.
Then reduced godrays/improved contrast, also I think a definite.
Increases FOV would be great, even a small increase.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'm really fond of my 3 sensors and love the tracking. Unless Oculus can make even better tracking somehow (and not just "nearly as good"), I'd greatly appreciate being able to use my sensors with a new HMD. 

Well not sure I'll upgrade soon, I really love my Rift CV1. We have a special bond, I even like the SDE to some degree - like scanlines in my MAME arcade games :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"