New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,732 Valuable Player
    It's just a place holder release date, pretty common in retail. Oculus themselves are saying Spring this year. I suspect it will launch during F8.

Agreed, I was just calling out the listing. I wonder if they will launch at the same time as Quest...?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,969 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
     If you believe December  I'll sell u ice in the summer.
    I'm not reporting my belief, I'm reporting what Amazon is showing. Learn to read. I'll sell you a 3rd grade level reading comprehension workbook this Spring.
    Zen, warrning, that is nearing close to a personal attack ok

But both of you try to be more friendly ok:) I understand and trust me - I know how everyone feels - just keep it cool and civil if we can.
    edited March 2019
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
     If you believe December  I'll sell u ice in the summer.
    I'm not reporting my belief, I'm reporting what Amazon is showing. Learn to read. I'll sell you a 3rd grade level reading comprehension workbook this Spring.
    Zen, warrning, that is nearing close to a personal attack ok:)
    Apologies. The spammy situation clouded my judgement. Edited my post.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,573 Valuable Player
    I agree and I don't believe I have said anything negatively  personal to an individual unless it was said to me 1st. May the future of oculus be long and prosperous! (Said while drinking my brandy)
    inovator said:
    I agree and I don't believe I have said anything negatively  personal to an individual unless it was said to me 1st.
    Except when you called people hypocrites. That was you being negative and personal first.
    I said not to an individual. May peace be with u.
    inovator said:
    I said not to an individual. May peace be with u.

People are individuals. Just because you insult a group of individuals instead of one individual doesn't mean you have achieved something good.
    May peace be with u. 
    edited March 2019

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    I´ve had discussions like this myself. Usually how I found long lasting relationships in the past.

Be good, die great !
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,267 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

If you check the Amazon listing for Rift-S, it has the following release date:
    December 31, 2019

Release won't be then, no chance it is either placeholder OR Oculus are just going to sell it themselves for the 1st 6-9 months before allowing 3rd party stores to sell it.
    Either is possible but I think the former more likely. Placeholder date because Amazon either don't know themselves or under NDA
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,905 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:

If you check the Amazon listing for Rift-S, it has the following release date:
    December 31, 2019

Release won't be then, no chance it is either placeholder OR Oculus are just going to sell it themselves for the 1st 6-9 months before allowing 3rd party stores to sell it.
    Either is possible but I think the former more likely. Placeholder date because Amazon either don't know themselves or under NDA

Oculus states on their website that Rift-S is coming in spring 2019 = May 31 2019 at the latest:

Quest on the other hand could be December 31  - currently it just says 2019 on the Oculus website:

I think the German seller Saturn (which is quite large) stated something like May 2 for the new version of Rift, probably not a bad estimate for availability of Rift-S. And at OC5 Oculus also stated spring for Quest - I'd be surprised if both Rift-S and Quest won't be available in May. 2c.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited March 2019

I'm quoting this post from a different thread. I wanted to be sure people in this thread didn't miss it:

Woody3D said:

NO.  It is definitely not as bad as it seems.  I have a Rift (I have since the beginning!)  I also have a Samsung Odyssey.  After thinking about the tracking situation, I think the most revealing thing I can say is this:
    When I used my Samsung Odyssey in the first weeks, it was hard to get used to.  then they started to increase the 'intelligence' of the software, giving it predictive, and reactive algorithms.  Now, when I am in Lone Echo, The Climb, Time Transit, or JET ISLAND,  I no longer notice any problems at all with the tracking,  as a VR Developer,  I am highly adaptive yes, but they ALSO,  made it much better, If you reach behind you to grab something, then pull your arm back the rock or Arrow or Flashlight is indeed in your hand,.
       . It is perfectly able (check out your shadows!) to track your hand behind you, and then even though it is completely out of sight, TRACK YOUR HAND BACK with smart algorithms they evolved using our own game play styles.
    If my Odyssey wit it's 2 cameras can do that, bring me to what I would estimate is fully 90-95% of the full tracked experience, then 5 Cameras, is a HUGE BOON,.  I suspect the tracking will be ROCK SOLID.  One would have to REALLY twist to get it out of all sight, AND EVEN THEN THE PREDICTIVE ALGORITHMS WOULD COME INTO PLAY MAKING IT EVEN LESS LIKELY ONE WOULD NOTICE ANY PROBLEM! 

The screen may not be a LED,.. BUT it has I believe 1/3 more sub-pixels than the VIVE Pro!  I have a feeling, one would very quickly adapt to that too, The level of CLARITY and Lowered God Rays and a slight FOV Bump (I have heard) , the GREAT THINGS people say about the Go!'s Screen and Lenses,..    I think the dark levels with be something we adapt to (OR FIND A WAY TO GET AROUND USING GPU Screen Output controls Gamma adjust etc...)   I think it will be a STUNNER... 
    My only problem, is that as a self-incarcerated Oculus Exclusive Developer (LOL I feel I owe them a few 'gratitude games'!) with 4 QUEST Games in the works,  I will almost certainly HAVE to buy a QUEST to really make sure my games work and are accepted the first time (I don't want to waste their time, I keep what I call a 'Carmack Checklist' of acceptable game variables, features, options, preferred compression/optimization schemes, Texture-Atlasing, Procedural/Variable based materials where possible etc. etc.) 
    My releases, are NOT little games, (one is,..) they are near AAA, pre-naturally optimized to near miraculous levels, but with the look of extreme photoreal, immersive warmth, imperfect imperfections,. etc.. ! (I use light, cheap, Facial Bones instead of Morph Targets, Edge fading algorithms to make flat-plane opacity mapped Trees etc, look normal...)   Ahem.   :)_

SOOO,.  MY Biggest Problem now:
        I almost HAVE to get a QUEST but really WANT A RIFT S!   It is basically impossible for me to get both.  If only the Quest could be hooked up to PC>..  Or maybe even just .. 'receive a test build' from Unreal via WIFI or something? (Though that would not allow for working IN VR Editor mode, which I do whenever possible too,.  

Anyways long story short,  I am a Developer and I am now, (having really thought about it, considered all the variables,). quite happy with both new devices,  Just.. not thatI will have to choose between them.  and continue with my old Rift for,.   a very long time until I release my games... (Which WILL Sell, I worked on film, TV (and games) in Hollywood for 25 years, as Visual FX and Character Animator.  I worked on the Hollywood Film Life of Pi 3D, I worked at Activision, Praxis Filmworks, Warner Bros.  I had an Animated TV show in the early 90's.  I am bringing all that experience to my Solo-Produced, Self-Taught Games,.  I am different,  THEY will be very different,..

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/667548/#Comment_667548

After 5 straight days of attempting to serve each other up shit sandwiches, I think that post is the one that has me most interested in trying Rift-S now.
    Brixmis said:
    Oculus/Facebook have a number of highly qualified and experienced professionals working on their VR products. They do a lot of market research and know their products better than anyone.

Yet all the armchair experts here seem to think they know better. Well, Zenbane always thinks he knows better, that's a given, but this thread and all the other ones here trying to tell Oculus how they are doing it wrong just make me laugh.

So thanks for the light entertainment ;)

You're welcome - can't help it, I'm a tire kicker by nature :blush:

Image result for tire kicking animated
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    Brixmis said:
    Oculus/Facebook have a number of highly qualified and experienced professionals working on their VR products. They do a lot of market research and know their products better than anyone.

Yet all the armchair experts here seem to think they know better. Well, Zenbane always thinks he knows better, that's a given, but this thread and all the other ones here trying to tell Oculus how they are doing it wrong just make me laugh.

So thanks for the light entertainment ;)

You're welcome - can't help it, I'm a tire kicker by nature :blush:

Facebook and Oculus have responded to mass consumer complaints in the past. The most historic one being the DRM Check. Posters like Brixmis simply don't have much knowledge of the history between Facebook, Oculus, and the Community.

Armchair Experts > Sideline Cheerleaders
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,948 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    I just posted in the Audica thread about something changing with my Odyssey+ since the last time I tried beat saber so I can attest to what this developer is talking about. I was playing a bunch of single player games and stuff like Gorn and then I went away to flat screen land for a couple of months. Somewhere along the way it learned how to predict. It is really good now something definitely got improved. Beat Saber is flawless for me now with just two cameras after previously being unplayable. Having 5 will be close to perfect in everything and a lot more convenient. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,287 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    I just posted in the Audica thread about something changing with my Odyssey+ since the last time I tried beat saber so I can attest to what this developer is talking about. I was playing a bunch of single player games and stuff like Gorn and then I went away to flat screen land for a couple of months. Somewhere along the way it learned how to predict. It is really good now something definitely got improved. Beat Saber is flawless for me now with just two cameras. Having 5 will be close to perfect and a lot more convenient. 
    My takeaway here is that "close to perfect" is actually better than "flawless" :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited March 2019
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    I just posted in the Audica thread about something changing with my Odyssey+ since the last time I tried beat saber so I can attest to what this developer is talking about. I was playing a bunch of single player games and stuff like Gorn and then I went away to flat screen land for a couple of months. Somewhere along the way it learned how to predict. It is really good now something definitely got improved. Beat Saber is flawless for me now with just two cameras. Having 5 will be close to perfect and a lot more convenient. 
    My takeaway here is that "close to perfect" is actually better than "flawless" :lol:
    Lol I meant close to perfect tracking in everything. Beat Saber is mostly in front of you. If you recall from the Beat Saber thread, in 5 minutes with the O+ I gave up as It was getting occlusion from my wide swings.
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:

I'm quoting this post from a different thread. I wanted to be sure people in this thread didn't miss it:

Woody3D said:

When I used my Samsung Odyssey in the first weeks, it was hard to get used to.  then they started to increase the 'intelligence' of the software, giving it predictive, and reactive algorithms.  Now, when I am in Lone Echo, The Climb, Time Transit, or JET ISLAND,  I no longer notice any problems at all with the tracking,  as a VR Developer,  I am highly adaptive yes, but they ALSO,  made it much better, If you reach behind you to grab something, then pull your arm back the rock or Arrow or Flashlight is indeed in your hand. It is perfectly able (check out your shadows!) to track your hand behind you, and then even though it is completely out of sight, TRACK YOUR HAND BACK with smart algorithms they evolved using our own game play styles.

I know your intentions with this post were different, but it actually makes me more positive about the Reverb - if HP uses similar algorithms. 
    I do believe newcomers to VR will love the Rift-S, but considering the cons and pros I don't think Rift-S is enough to make me abandon the Rift (and I'd never sell the Rift for Reverb, I'd only consider the Reverb as a supplement for the Rift). 

edited March 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

I know your intentions with this post were different, but it actually makes me more positive about the Reverb - if HP uses similar algorithms. 
    I do believe newcomers to VR will love the Rift-S, but considering the cons and pros I don't think Rift-S is enough to make me abandon the Rift (and I'd never sell the Rift for Reverb, I'd only consider the Reverb as a supplement for the Rift). 
    Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are. Anxious to get some footage.
    edited March 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are.

Agreed, although I'd be willing to endure some grey for 4K res  :D

The SPUD/MURA has been very annoying on the Rift for long, and I don't take it lightly that many RIFT-S reviewers found it more greyish than the Rift. I love space apps and games the most - the universe really needs true blacks. The SPUD nearly killed Spheres for me. 

edited March 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are.

Yea true enough, as long as they aren't washed out gray like the Pimax, I'll probably spring for it.
    edited March 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

The SPUD/MURA has been very annoying on the Rift for long, and I don't take it lightly that many RIFT-S reviewers found it more greyish than the Rift. I love space apps and games the most - the universe really needs true blacks. The SPUD nearly killed Spheres for me. 
    Ditto, it was mind blowing the first time I used the O+ in darker games and even colorful games. I find the Rift colors very dull despite being an OLED. My main gripe about Rift S was always the price, the loss of audio and the concern about black levels after multiple people commented on gray blacks. If I didn't have an O+ already, i'd probably be more interested. The tracking is the biggest advantage I'd want out of it, but Right now I'm pretty content with the O+.

pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yea true enough, as long as they aren't washed out gray like the Pimax, I'll probably spring for it.

My wife really dislikes the Rift - she thinks the image quality is way too pixelated. And my arguments like "but this isn't normal Rift res - you're getting ss 2.0 at perfect 90 fps in First Contact" - she just doesn't care - still too pixelated. 
    Now I was born with one hand on a Commodore 64 - I know the true meaning of "pixelated" - still we couldn't really see it back then  :D
    Maybe my wife's reaction is quite true for some ordinary persons not used to computer games - but used to high res image quality on a monitor. Somehow I think HP wanted to target these persons with the pro version of the Reverb, maybe the Reverb wasn't really designed for gaming but to provide the best image quality for more serious apps (containing text documents and the like). And maybe HP then thought: why not sell units to the few hardcore gamers with beefy systems who want a great jump in visual clarity... Still we need proper reviews of the final and available HMDs - not just from persons having used a new HDM for 30 to 60 minutes. 

edited March 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

My wife really dislikes the Rift - she thinks the image quality is way too pixelated. And my arguments like "but this isn't normal Rift res - you're getting ss 2.0 at perfect 90 fps in First Contact" - she just doesn't care - still too pixelated. 
    Now I was born with one hand on a Commodore 64 - I know the true meaning of "pixelated" - still we couldn't really see it back then  :D
    Maybe my wife's reaction is quite true for some ordinary persons not used to computer games - but used to high res image quality on a monitor. Somehow I think HP wanted to target these persons with the pro version of the Reverb, maybe the Reverb wasn't really designed for gaming but to provide the best image quality for more serious apps (containing text documents and the like). And maybe HP then thought: why not sell units to the few hardcore gamers with beefy systems who want a great jump in visual clarity... Still we need proper reviews of the final and available HMDs - not just from persons having used a new HDM for 30 to 60 minutes. 
    Yea SDE bugs me still to this day. I'll share a story on that. I actually bought my Rift on an impulse buy. I was loosely following VR and everyone was hyping the Vive and such at the time. I felt the Rift looked more appealing to me, looked more like a luxury item and the Touch Controllers were just out for a couple of months and were so nice looking unlike the Vive Dildos. I found a video on youtube of a girl drawing in tilt brush with roomscale. Didn't know Roomscale was even a thing for Oculus yet (it was still experimental) so I went to Oculus.com and ordered one. The first game I loaded up was the first encounter tutorial and I couldn't get over the SDE. I was like this is it? This is what I spent my money on? It was upwards of 800+ at the time for the rift and 3rd sensor and cabling. I restarted my computer, Then I put in Robo Recall.... and that first scene where the robots turn on me.... scared me half to death. I was in a room alone lol..but that made me realize the power of VR. Even through the SDE and the Native resolution (I hadn't figured out hwo to supersample yet), there was enough there to scare the crap out of me.

I found this forum trying to find a way to reduce SDE after I had already bought the Rift. There's been several games I've spent more time trying to get the SDE minimized through supersampling and graphic settings than actually playing the games. It has remained the number 1 complaint for me so I do share that issue with your wife and why the HP Reverb is going to get serious consideration lol. 

I dug this up from that Rift S wish list thread awhile back and you can see where I had SDE lol. I nailed the price even though I was expecting an OLED/Improved Quest for that price. But they did deliver on 1 and 2 and 6.

pyroth309 Posts: 634 Neo
    Guess I'm in the minority but I feel like 300 bucks for an improved rift seems unlikely. I'm guessing it'll be around 399. Anyways most of my list has been stated but here's the priority for me.

1. SDE reduction
    2. Higher Resolution
    3. FoV 
    4. Option to use Constellation
    5. Better Colors
    6. Less God Rays.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,748 Valuable Player
    I keep seeing comments throughout this thread and others talking about the Rift S and a true 2nd Gen Rift yet to come, even to suggest Oculus will in the future provide 2 PC-VR devices, the S model and then the upper end model in addition ( with Half Dome technology).

But really at least from what I have seen, there is no information out there to confirm this will be the case. That would mean Oculus plans on having 4 different product lines for VR, rather than the 3 they have been focused on. It is entirely possible (and this is just speculation as well) the top end they were initially targeting has been cancelled. It could be the bulk of their focus for the foreseeable future will be in mobile and stand alone, with a small offering for PC-VR enthusiasts. The new Rift - the Rift S - may just be the future for Oculus in the PC-VR realm, leaving the top tier PC-VR development for others.

And maybe they might re-visit this at some point way down the road. For me though, I am holding out no more hope for what I once hoped to see from Oculus in the high end PC-VR market. I sure as heck am not going to continue with the CV1 and wait for a possible true 2nd gen Rift. At this point I am fairly sure I will be going with the HP Reverb for my flight sims, will probably pick up a Quest for some simpler games I can play anywhere. Hell if Oculus had of just released the Rift S  which was more like the Reverb but with the 5 cameras and OLED displays I would have been all over it. I will miss having the Touch Controllers, but hopefully the games I will be able to play with Quest will satisfy that part for me as most of what I do anyway is flight sims. And hopefully race sims here soon.

Oculus once was the leader in PC-VR tech, but I fear they have elected to let someone else take lead in that department while the bulk of their focus being on lower end higher sales volume devices.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited March 2019
    @dburne while nothing about a true CV2 is confirmed, Nate was asked about it in the Tested video, and his response was a very strongly indicated "yes." I get what you are saying about how it makes it seem as if 4 product lines would be made, but that is just part of the confusion Oculus is currently creating. Also, there was a strong rumor leak about the CV2 that comes from a similar source that leaked the Rift-S rumor leading up to GDC.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,267 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    I would love a higher end HMD to partner rift S but TBH I just don't see it right now even though I think It makes sense. Unless oculus are truly asshats wanting to deliberately rip us off (and I do not think they are - for no reason other than it is short term minor profit for long term loss of good will)
    I do not think oculus would sell us Rift S and then drop CV2 right after because some of us would have wasted a lot of money. IF CV2 was coming within 12 months of rift S I think we would be warned.

Best hope for a CV2 imo is at the earliest summer next year
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)