New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player

Ya!  Now let me show you an image comparing the God Rays. Holy Cow that looks way better !

Huh

why does Vive Pro look so so bad, atleast to my eyes.

Maybe i need glasses
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    More i read about Rift-S, more i like it.
    They even fixed tracking. I hate it when usb sensors disconnect and connect again middle of game. Throwing your whole headset several inches for several seconds. Atleast in Rift-S you can only lost hand tracking when trying hard enough.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,875 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    vannagirl said:

Ya!  Now let me show you an image comparing the God Rays. Holy Cow that looks way better !

Huh

Maybe i need glasses

I think the images are only trying to capture the god rays - not the true sharpness - but agreed, comparing different angles and levels of blurry shots may easily make us compare apples to oranges - potentially predisposing to false conclusions (and of course such photos aren't easy to take). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Even though I would rather order through amazon, if 3rd parties have to wait to be able to sell the s. I will order through oculus because I can hardly wait to get rid of the rift sensor cameras.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:

I'm quoting this post from a different thread. I wanted to be sure people in this thread didn't miss it:

Woody3D said:

NO.  It is definitely not as bad as it seems.  I have a Rift (I have since the beginning!)  I also have a Samsung Odyssey.  After thinking about the tracking situation, I think the most revealing thing I can say is this:
    When I used my Samsung Odyssey in the first weeks, it was hard to get used to.  then they started to increase the 'intelligence' of the software, giving it predictive, and reactive algorithms.  Now, when I am in Lone Echo, The Climb, Time Transit, or JET ISLAND,  I no longer notice any problems at all with the tracking,  as a VR Developer,  I am highly adaptive yes, but they ALSO,  made it much better, If you reach behind you to grab something, then pull your arm back the rock or Arrow or Flashlight is indeed in your hand,.
       . It is perfectly able (check out your shadows!) to track your hand behind you, and then even though it is completely out of sight, TRACK YOUR HAND BACK with smart algorithms they evolved using our own game play styles.
    If my Odyssey wit it's 2 cameras can do that, bring me to what I would estimate is fully 90-95% of the full tracked experience, then 5 Cameras, is a HUGE BOON,.  I suspect the tracking will be ROCK SOLID.  One would have to REALLY twist to get it out of all sight, AND EVEN THEN THE PREDICTIVE ALGORITHMS WOULD COME INTO PLAY MAKING IT EVEN LESS LIKELY ONE WOULD NOTICE ANY PROBLEM! 

The screen may not be a LED,.. BUT it has I believe 1/3 more sub-pixels than the VIVE Pro!  I have a feeling, one would very quickly adapt to that too, The level of CLARITY and Lowered God Rays and a slight FOV Bump (I have heard) , the GREAT THINGS people say about the Go!'s Screen and Lenses,..    I think the dark levels with be something we adapt to (OR FIND A WAY TO GET AROUND USING GPU Screen Output controls Gamma adjust etc...)   I think it will be a STUNNER... 
    My only problem, is that as a self-incarcerated Oculus Exclusive Developer (LOL I feel I owe them a few 'gratitude games'!) with 4 QUEST Games in the works,  I will almost certainly HAVE to buy a QUEST to really make sure my games work and are accepted the first time (I don't want to waste their time, I keep what I call a 'Carmack Checklist' of acceptable game variables, features, options, preferred compression/optimization schemes, Texture-Atlasing, Procedural/Variable based materials where possible etc. etc.) 
    My releases, are NOT little games, (one is,..) they are near AAA, pre-naturally optimized to near miraculous levels, but with the look of extreme photoreal, immersive warmth, imperfect imperfections,. etc.. ! (I use light, cheap, Facial Bones instead of Morph Targets, Edge fading algorithms to make flat-plane opacity mapped Trees etc, look normal...)   Ahem.   :)_

SOOO,.  MY Biggest Problem now:
        I almost HAVE to get a QUEST but really WANT A RIFT S!   It is basically impossible for me to get both.  If only the Quest could be hooked up to PC>..  Or maybe even just .. 'receive a test build' from Unreal via WIFI or something? (Though that would not allow for working IN VR Editor mode, which I do whenever possible too,.  

Anyways long story short,  I am a Developer and I am now, (having really thought about it, considered all the variables,). quite happy with both new devices,  Just.. not thatI will have to choose between them.  and continue with my old Rift for,.   a very long time until I release my games... (Which WILL Sell, I worked on film, TV (and games) in Hollywood for 25 years, as Visual FX and Character Animator.  I worked on the Hollywood Film Life of Pi 3D, I worked at Activision, Praxis Filmworks, Warner Bros.  I had an Animated TV show in the early 90's.  I am bringing all that experience to my Solo-Produced, Self-Taught Games,.  I am different,  THEY will be very different,..

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/667548/#Comment_667548

After 5 straight days of attempting to serve each other up shit sandwiches, I think that post is the one that has me most interested in trying Rift-S now.

I said a while back in another thread that I suspect Oculus would use their software to fill in any blank spots when inside outside tracking was used. With five camera's they may not have to do this, but I'm sure their software will fix it if all the camera's don't. i think I'll be getting a Rift -S and an HP Reverb.  I have the best of both worlds then, the HP Reverb just for some Sims and Rift -S for everything else.

Edit: I must say, I also prefer the PSVR design because the CV1 design really hurt my face. I hate having something pushed against my face tbh. PSVR is super comfortable I've tried it and it's much better.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,007 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019

... meanwhile at GDC, Pimax lets people "look" at their Knuckle controllers, but not actually "use" them

CES 2019: I Got To Hold (But Not Use) The Pimax Knuckles-Like VR Controllers

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2019-hold-pimax-knuckles-controllers/

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Techy111 said:
    Zoom in to the right knuckles thumb stick, broken I'd say.....

Nice catch!
    The evasive legendary knuckles controllers. Maybe they will come out with the cosmos.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,629 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    vannagirl said:

Huh

Maybe i need glasses

I think the images are only trying to capture the god rays - not the true sharpness - but agreed, comparing different angles and levels of blurry shots may easily make us compare apples to oranges - potentially predisposing to false conclusions (and of course such photos aren't easy to take). 
    The video shows it better. Go to 17:10.

Of course it could be a circumstance of camera capture too. Heres' a vid from a different guy/camera

The Go's blacks look acceptable in those scenes. I actually bought a GO for my Ex and we broke up while it was in shipment lol. I never got to use it.

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 482
    Trinity
    edited March 2019
    vannagirl said:

Huh

Maybe i need glasses
    That pic is for comparing God Rays.
    It's worth noting, that even though the Vive Pro has an improved 1600p OLED, the Vive Pro still uses the OLD Vive lenses (like seriously HTC).  The God Rays are coming form the use of the old lenses.
    You can also see some of the concentric ring pattern that Vive uses complain about.

Whereas the GO uses Oculus' "next gen" lenses that have significantly reduced God Rays and larger sweet spot.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Little.Robot.FairyLittle.Robot.Fairy Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    edited March 2019
    I'm going to have to pass on this unless I can get my hands on a VR ready laptop or backpack, and can take a Rift S to go wirelessly walk around VR at a local unoccupied indoor basketball court or some other free roaming area where I can just walk around a VR space freely, but not have to compromise on playing PC games. The game I play most in VR, VRChat, is not going to work with all in one VR solutions like Oculus Quest.

But if I could get my hands on a high end, lightweight gaming laptop for VR, to put in a backpack with maybe a couple extra batteries for longer sessions. And find a safe big open space to walk around in VR, then I could see myself putting up with all of the downsides of the Rift S. It would at least be better for freeroaming PCVR than WMRs with less inside-out cameras. I would probably try to go to a local gym with a basketball court when no one is using it as to avoid dangers and sunlight which damages HMDs.

But I don't have a VR ready laptop, or a VR gaming backpack, and I just got done paying off my new high end VR ready desktop. The most disappointing aspect of the Rift S for me personally is the tracking. People who have tried it at GDC say the extra cameras go a long way towards making the tracking better than Windows Mixed Reality, but still isn't perfect, and still isn't even as good as the outside-in tracking on the original CV1 Rift. Meaning as someone who doesn't free roam VR or have the equipment for it yet, and doesn't want to settle for quest, and plays in a bedroom, this is a downgrade on the most important VR feature for me.

There's definitely a use case for this. And I can see wanting one a lot if I had a VR ready laptop or backpack to go roaming around the biggest indoor space I could find and safely use. But it's definitely not for me. It's not what I needed out of a refresh at all. And compromises on several of the aspects of the Rift that mattered the most to me.

It makes me sad that if my Rift ever breaks, I may have to settle on a Rift S if I want a Rift again. Or find a used Rift CV1, which might be expensive. I think at that point I would rather just get a Vive, though. The only downside with Vive is it can be a bit more expensive and the Vive Pucks aren't as good as Oculus controllers. But I've started to realize I would much rather deal with Vive Pucks than inside-out tracking. Plus hopefully Valve won't keep delaying their Knuckles controllers indefinitely.

Had Oculus wanted to focus on going in the direction that is most important, to me at least. Which is better tracking, instead of portability and improved resolution, I would have been more than happy to keep supporting Oculus. At this point I'm saving my money for a Vive rather than a Rift S. Sorry, Oculus.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,887 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    vannagirl said:
    I hear they are being bundled with a Star Citizen release

I heard they'll be released with Half-LIfe VR and the new Valve headset. That would be a game changer. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Zoom in to the right knuckles thumb stick, broken I'd say.....

I hear that might be why we havent see them yet - that they keep breaking and the plastic theyre using to cheap out on just isnt working for them lol.
    vannagirl said:
    I hear they are being bundled with a Star Citizen release
    I think half life would be more likely.
    Today I was going to play my rift which lately has only been on weekends since I can keep it set up for 1.5 days. But now that rift s is close I got super lazy. I will only play the go and borderlands vr on psvr until then. It's kind of a relief not  to have to continue that crazy setting up. I will now drink to my rift and be grateful for the many hours of game play and helping my lifelong dream of vr come true. It is now officially retired.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    I'm keeping my sensors connected to the wall just in-case Oculus decide to use them in their software for Rift -S. But I will wait for Rift -S before starting anymore new games. I want to see them in all their glory on the new Rift -S. I just hope it arrives May 2nd or before.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    edited March 2019
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to mention something and ask if this is true, but also I've been away a few days and so I haven't read anything past page 24 of this thread so after asking this question I will quickly read the last 4 pages to make sure this hasn't already been mentioned...

I posted on a YouTube video the other day and someone responded saying this:

"I agree with you on the headphones, they were awesome! Luckily for us Oculus heard the feedback and they're going to create a Headphone addon for Rift-S"

And now I'm like, omg Is this true? And the guy/girl still hasn't responded to me yet. What do you guys think? Real or fake?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    I'm keeping my sensors connected to the wall just in-case Oculus decide to use them in their software for Rift -S. But I will wait for Rift -S before starting anymore new games. I want to see them in all their glory on the new Rift -S. I just hope it arrives May 2nd or before.

Why do you think you would need your Sensors? 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,353 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Just in case Oculus adds support for sensors to be used with the Rift S, Nate Mitchell hinted they would do this if there was enough demand for it during his interview with Norm from Tested.

This is why the design of the Rift S is so much better than the design for the HTC Cosmos.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,035 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    This is why the design of the Rift S is so much better than the design for the HTC Cosmos.

I wish we knew enough about the HTC Cosmos to make such a comparison! 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,875 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    RedRizla said:

Just in case Oculus adds support for sensors to be used with the Rift S, Nate Mitchell hinted they would do this if there was enough demand for it during his interview with Norm from Tested.

I did follow a thread about that subject on Reddit - some potentially important answers:

" [...] you misunderstood what Nate said. He specifically said that Rift S won't support external sensors, but Oculus would continue to support the OG Rift external sensor setup."

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3r5vy/nate_mitchell_said_they_will_support_existing/

My hopes aren't high, sadly...  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    I read a tweat earlier from J Carmack and he is hoping to get the quest usable on PC via a wireless teather. If they get that working that will be really interesting (and I suggested this may happen a week or so ago ;) )
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,212 Valuable Player
    I read a tweat earlier from J Carmack and he is hoping to get the quest usable on PC via a wireless teather. If they get that working that will be really interesting (and I suggested this may happen a week or so ago ;) )
    A TPcast like adapter for the Quest would render the Rift S totally obsolete imo. Would be awesome.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,438
    Project 2501

I thought that "wireless" and "tether" are not things that go together. If you're tethered, you're not wireless, and vice versa. I could be wrong though.
    The tweet reply from Carmack that I posted didn't mention wireless.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

edited March 2019
    "teathering" just means "linking together" when talking computer tech. The term "tethered" usually gets associated with a wire since the phrase became more popular when people started tethering their smart phones to a PC with a USB Cable.

Whenever I travel and I need an internet connection, I typically can just turn "tethering" on my Android, and then my computer will "see" it listed on the Wifi access points. At that point I can connect my Laptop to my smart phone wirelessly, and my Laptop will use my Android's internet connection so that I can browse the Web on my laptop. It's all done without physically connecting the phone and the Laptop together.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    Excellent article on the Rift S.....and right on point as well. 

http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/
    edited March 2019

Now that a new week is starting, and GDC is behind us while Rift-S is ahead of us, I believe that one thing was made very very very clear...

No one properly braced themselves. At least not proper braced.