New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,638 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Digikid1 said:
    Excellent article on the Rift S.....and right on point as well. 

http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/
    That was a great read and valid point, especially about people investing in software in the Oculus Ecosystem and are no longer supported. Hmm, I might have to box up my CV1, maybe it will be worth some money after all!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,188 Valuable Player
    Rift S - Iribe must have been well aware of what the Rift S was going to be when he decided to leave Oculus.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I did follow a thread about that subject on Reddit - some potentially important answers:" [...] you misunderstood what Nate said. He specifically said that Rift S won't support external sensors, but Oculus would continue to support the OG Rift external sensor

setup."https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3r5vy/nate_mitchell_said_they_will_support_existing/My hopes aren't high, sadly...  

Well I'm still keeping them up because they are attached to my wall using trunking and are screwed in. I can't be arsed to take all that down and make a mess of my walls. I'll just keep CV1 as a back up to my Rift -S.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,256 Volunteer Moderator
    I’ll need to hear some more user reviews to get an idea of whether the lack of physical IPD adjustment will make the Rift S unusable for me. I know there was a video from someone (365VR?) who said that it was fine for them with a high IPD, but it was an hour-and-a-half of talking that I wasn’t willing to sit through to hear it first hand. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I’ll need to hear some more user reviews to get an idea of whether the lack of physical IPD adjustment will make the Rift S unusable for me. I know there was a video from someone (365VR?) who said that it was fine for them with a high IPD, but it was an hour-and-a-half of talking that I wasn’t willing to sit through to hear it first hand. 
    YI can't remember who said what now - one reviewer said that it made it look/feel a bit too narrow while 365VR said it felt fine - but was at the edge of their comfort zone.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Anybody think with talk of playing any game through a quest through your computer by streaming to play can cause it to be a waste to buy the quest and rift s? I think it's called typecast 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,890 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    I did follow a thread about that subject on Reddit - some potentially important answers:" [...] you misunderstood what Nate said. He specifically said that Rift S won't support external sensors, but Oculus would continue to support the OG Rift external sensor

setup."https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3r5vy/nate_mitchell_said_they_will_support_existing/My hopes aren't high, sadly...  

Well I'm still keeping them up because they are attached to my wall using trunking and are screwed in. I can't be arsed to take all that down and make a mess of my walls. I'll just keep CV1 as a back up to my Rift -S.

There has been some photos of sensors on Reddit making my skin crawl  :D

If this is the best some dudes can do, Oculus is really showing some mercy by giving them Rift-S. The Horror... the horror....

Maybe one or two of the sensor placements above weren't that bad - and I think someone at Oculus should have the courtesy to phone this guy and let him know his sensors aren't supported for future Rifts...  :|

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,356 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    This is why the design of the Rift S is so much better than the design for the HTC Cosmos.

I wish we knew enough about the HTC Cosmos to make such a comparison! 

We know enough. We know that it's not using Lighthouse tracking because neither the headset or the controllers have light sensors. We know that it's using inside out tracking similar to the WVR headsets because the controllers have lights on them (I suspect that Oculus have a patent for using IR LEDs on a headset and controllers) and the headset has cameras on it. We also know that the tracking for the Vive Cosmos is going to be inferior to the Rift S because the Rift S has an extra camera.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    I read a tweat earlier from J Carmack and he is hoping to get the quest usable on PC via a wireless teather. If they get that working that will be really interesting (and I suggested this may happen a week or so ago ;) )

I thought that "wireless" and "tether" are not things that go together. If you're tethered, you're not wireless, and vice versa. I could be wrong though.
    The tweet reply from Carmack that I posted didn't mention wireless.
    What @zenbane said :) tethered just means connected and in the context here can be wired or wireless 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

There has been some photos of sensors on Reddit making my skin crawl  :D

If this is the best some dudes can do, Oculus is really showing some mercy by giving them Rift-S. The Horror... the horror....

Maybe one or two of the sensor placements above weren't that bad - and I think someone at Oculus should have the courtesy to phone this guy and let him know his sensors aren't supported for future Rifts...  :|

The untidyness of the first few pics is really triggering me !!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,041 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    We know enough.
    We know that it's not using Lighthouse tracking because neither the headset or the controllers have light sensors. We know that it's using inside out tracking similar to the WVR headsets because the controllers have lights on them (I suspect that Oculus have a patent for using IR LEDs on a headset and controllers) and the headset has cameras on it. We also know that the tracking for the Vive Cosmos is going to be inferior to the Rift S because the Rift S has an extra camera.

When I see the term "I suspect" and "we also know", I see speculation - so I think, like others I will wait till I have tried the system to make my decisions on what it offers - than depend on assumptions at this point. Thanks anyway for your opinion.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    We know enough.
    We know that it's not using Lighthouse tracking because neither the headset or the controllers have light sensors. We know that it's using inside out tracking similar to the WVR headsets because the controllers have lights on them (I suspect that Oculus have a patent for using IR LEDs on a headset and controllers) and the headset has cameras on it. We also know that the tracking for the Vive Cosmos is going to be inferior to the Rift S because the Rift S has an extra camera.

When I see the term "I suspect" and "we also know", I see speculation - so I think, like others I will wait till I have tried the system to make my decisions on what it offers - than depend on assumptions at this point. Thanks anyway for your opinion.

Oculus having a patent for IR LEDs on headsets and controllers is pretty much a given otherwise other headsets would have them. Oculus headsets are the only headsets and controllers that have IR LEDs on them. Even Oculus switching from outside in to inside out tracking hasn't changed that fact.

And regarding the fact, and yes it IS a fact, that the Rift S tracking is better than the tracking on the Vive Cosmos it's quite plain to see WHY it's better. All you need to do is be able to count to 5. You don't even need to try the Cosmos to know this.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,011 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    We know enough.

I created this thread specifically for people to engage in healthy speculation. And in your case, I see no reason for you to chastise speculation considering how often you try to speculate about the future of things like facility-based virtual reality. You have posted many future predictions about what you believe will be the growing revenue of that industry. And any future projection is the epitome of speculation. I don't see why your ability to speculate on this forum should be treated any different than snowdog's speculation. It seems to me that since you cannot address his arguments directly, you are instead choosing to try to dismiss him personally. Not very constructive.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Yeah! And wot he said, innit  :p:D

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,041 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    And regarding the fact, and yes it IS a fact, that the Rift S tracking is better than the tracking on the Vive Cosmos it's quite plain to see WHY it's better. All you need to do is be able to count to 5. You don't even need to try the Cosmos to know this.

Again - interesting to hear your opinion. But as in the past I would rather focus on actual, but, hey thanks for sharing, I am sure we will be hearing a lot more of your views soon  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    As I've said, we know this for a fact unless HTC have a bit of a panic and duct tape another camera on the top lol

edited March 2019
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Again - interesting to hear your opinion. But as in the past I would rather focus on actual, but, hey thanks for sharing, I am sure we will be hearing a lot more of your views soon

Again, you don't seem to prefer actual when the speculation favors your preferences. But again, this topic is for both the actual and speculation. If you desire only the actual then this is likely not the best discussion to participate in.
    B)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,894 Valuable Player
    Those images perfectly illustrate the horror of dealing with multiple sensors.
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Those images perfectly illustrate the horror of dealing with multiple sensors.
    They’re fine if you set them up properly and have the correct Startech card installed. 
    edited March 2019

It's arguably "more difficult" to set up multiple Computer Monitors than it is to set up multiple Rift sensors.

This idea that setting up 1-4 VR Sensors is soooo daunting that the Industry needs to turn itself inside-out (pun intended) is a bit hyperbolic considering all the things we do to synchronize existing tech in our daily lives: bluetooth in cars, Alexa, Google Home, Robot Vacuum Cleaners, etc.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,638 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

It's arguably "more difficult" to set up multiple Computer Monitors than it is to set up multiple Rift sensors.

This idea that setting up 1-4 VR Sensors is soooo daunting that the Industry needs to turn itself inside-out (pun intended) is a bit hyperbolic considering all the things we do to synchronize existing tech in our daily lives: bluetooth in cars, Alexa, Google Home, Robot Vacuum Cleaners, etc.
    I never found Rift's CV1 setup daunting or hard but I did find it inconvenient when I first set it up. Having USB cables all over the place and having them take up 4 ports is a bit of nuisance, especially if you're using a room for multipurpose. Considering how much of a pain a lot of USB controllers can be with disconnects and errors and even incomptability with the Rift.(Though that's less of a problem with boards made today) having that problem multiplied 4 fold can be frustrating when it's partially working.

Then there's a lot of additional costs: 80 bucks or more to get a good USB expansion board if you need one. Up to 100 bucks for extension cabling for all the sensors and headset if you have a large room or are far from the PC. It's just an unnecessary annoyance and barrier especially for people using laptops which tend to have more issues and don't typically have many USB ports. Moving to a single cable off of the headset is just a lot better for the average use case. 1 USB extension cable needed, 1 HDMI.. done! And you dont' have to worry about anyone knocking your sensors around. 

I do understand it sucks for people who only care about scores/tracking as you're giving up a very important piece of that puzzle.. IE true 360 tracking. But the average person in VR are just in it for the experiences and to be wow'd by VR. 
    edited March 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    I never found Rift's CV1 setup daunting or hard but I did find it inconvenient when I first set it up.

Inconvenient in the way that it can be annoying to have to buy lots of hangers in order to hang up all your shirts and pants. I mean, we're talking luxury management here.

Having USB cables all over the place

Why are your USB cables all over the place? There is only one cable per sensor, and most rooms in homes are square shaped. Just follow the lines?

and having them take up 4 ports is a bit of nuisance

I have a surround sound system that has far more inputs/outputs than an Oculus Ready PC with 4 readily available ports.  I wouldn't describe it as a nuisance. I describe it as a luxury that I invested in.

On a personal note,

I spent over 10 years playing in Heavy Metal Bands. I used to have to carry around my guitar, amp, head, and special effects pedals everywhere all the time. To and from practice, to and from live performances. We had to set up and break down our own gear. I never made any money out of it, but it was a great feeling playing music in a tight group. When I read people complain about "Virtual Reality cables," not only am I incapable of sympathizing, but I can't help but wonder how that person would handle a real crisis in life. That's not directed at you, just an overall sentiment I have.

Considering how much of a pain a lot of USB controllers can be with disconnects and errors and even incomptability with the Rift.(Though that's less of a problem with boards made today) having that problem multiplied 4 fold can be frustrating when it's partially working.

If someone isn't enjoying the process of "solutioning" these issues, then they are probably in the wrong hobby. I spent over 100 hours just trying to get the right "sound" on my guitar. I used to run our instruments through my Desktop (Win XP days) and had all sorts of hardware/software combinations to get some fancy stuff going. Sorry, but I just can't sympathize with anything you are describing. It appears as if there's a generation of consumers that seem allergic to the concept of "figuring things out." Again, not direct at you, just an overall sentiment.

Cheers, buddy!

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:

I never found Rift's CV1 setup daunting or hard but I did find it inconvenient when I first set it up. Having USB cables all over the place and having them take up 4 ports is a bit of nuisance, especially if you're using a room for multipurpose. Considering how much of a pain a lot of USB controllers can be with disconnects and errors and even incomptability with the Rift.(Though that's less of a problem with boards made today) having that problem multiplied 4 fold can be frustrating when it's partially working.

Then there's a lot of additional costs: 80 bucks or more to get a good USB expansion board if you need one. Up to 100 bucks for extension cabling for all the sensors and headset if you have a large room or are far from the PC. It's just an unnecessary annoyance and barrier especially for people using laptops which tend to have more issues and don't typically have many USB ports. Moving to a single cable off of the headset is just a lot better for the average use case. 1 USB extension cable needed, 1 HDMI.. done! And you dont' have to worry about anyone knocking your sensors around. 

I do understand it sucks for people who only care about scores/tracking as you're giving up a very important piece of that puzzle.. IE true 360 tracking. But the average person in VR are just in it for the experiences and to be wow'd by VR. 
    Maybe I'm one of the few but know matter how much I tried I can only get 80 to 90 percent quality tracking. To make it worse I was to lazy to do the setup everytime which I should have since they are moved everytime. I have the sensors low but other members said they had theirs low with no issues. So I guess that's one of the reasons the rift s won't make me miss the sensors accracy. I suspect in my case they will even be more accurate.