New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

1282931333436

Comments

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player

    kojack said:
    While the Rift-S has less usb ports, it's going to be interesting to see if it has less usb issues.
    There were 3 main problems with Rift usb:
    - not enough ports on pc
    - too much bandwidth for a single usb controller if you had too many sensors connected at once
    - general usb incompatibility

    The Rift-S fixes the first one. 4 usb cables (for my setup) down to 1. But we still have potential usb incompatibility, plus we have 166% greater bandwidth usage than 4 cables all put onto a single cable (and therefore not possible to split over multiple controllers). If a single usb controller had trouble with 3 cameras (which is why oculus recommend only 2 cameras on usb3 and 3rd/4th on usb2), imagine it now handling 5 from the Rift-S.
    (Unless there's a snapdragon hidden in the Rift-S so they can use it's DSP to process tracking like the Quest does).

    There was a lot of speculation on reddit somewhere that the Rift-S will handle tracking calculations in the headset and will only send back positional data which reduces the bandwidth needed. Any thoughts on that?

    The power requirements will likely be higher though and likely need a powered USB extension cable.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Previously for my Rift connection I was using the Virtual Link port on my 2080 Ti for both my HDMI and my USB 3 connectors for two sensors and headset.
    When I built this new PC my case has a front panel HDMI port and USB 3 port which I now have my Rift headset plugged into. Makes it very convenient having the headset plugged into those ports. I have my sensors still plugged into the Nvidia Virtual Link port.

    So on the upcoming Rift S, which will have Display Port- wonder if I would be able to use an adapter with it to still utilize that easily accessed front panel HDMI port on my computer case?
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe I was wrong @dburne but thought you was going the reverb route mate ? Still deciding ??
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Techy111 said:
    Maybe I was wrong @dburne but thought you was going the reverb route mate ? Still deciding ??
    At this time I am considering going with both, Rift S and Reverb.
    Rift S for my Oculus Touch games that I still enjoy and upcoming ones like Lone Echo II, and Reverb for my flight simming. Also may depend on which comes out first.
    If all I did was flight simming ( granted it is the bulk of my gaming time), I would only be looking at the Reverb.

    Will see how I feel when these devices are actually available to order.
    I was going to get a Quest when it became available, but if I go above route I will likely drop the Quest plans.

    Who knows though, when they do become available I may just decide to stay with Rift CV1 for Touch games, and Reverb for my flight sims. Still not sure the changes to the Rift S are going to be worth upgrading my CV1 to it.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    I think I will now just keep the old CV1 going as I don't play touch games that often and do the upgrade for the reverb. Hmmm or do I sell the CV1? Decisions decisions 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,619 Valuable Player
    If you get the Reverb, Techy, please share your full impressions. It is a mighty sexy headset!

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    I  certainly will, my aim is to be first on the purchase list !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    dburne said:
    Techy111 said:
    Maybe I was wrong @dburne but thought you was going the reverb route mate ? Still deciding ??
    At this time I am considering going with both, Rift S and Reverb.
    Rift S for my Oculus Touch games that I still enjoy and upcoming ones like Lone Echo II, and Reverb for my flight simming. Also may depend on which comes out first.
    If all I did was flight simming ( granted it is the bulk of my gaming time), I would only be looking at the Reverb.

    Will see how I feel when these devices are actually available to order.
    I was going to get a Quest when it became available, but if I go above route I will likely drop the Quest plans.

    Who knows though, when they do become available I may just decide to stay with Rift CV1 for Touch games, and Reverb for my flight sims. Still not sure the changes to the Rift S are going to be worth upgrading my CV1 to it.
    I'm intending to get the Reverb, the only thing that would stop me is if the gtx 1080 performance is just abysmal. That's a lot of pixels to push. I'm holding out for another generation of GPU for better or worse I'm going to upgrade my entire PC. I've tried to get a GTX 1080Ti cheap but the bids end up going higher than 2080's.

    As for the Rift-S, there is some appeal there to be able to play some of the upcoming Oculus Home titles with Touch controllers like Lone Echo 2. I'm already getting a Quest and don't really want both. I have too many headsets already. Maybe when it comes down on price some.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,619 Valuable Player
    I was just about to ask...

    I need to upgrade my 980 this year. What's the best GPU recommendation? Looks like it may be that 2080ti
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    For pushing the pixels and future proof then yes, grab a 2080ti ;) retire that poor old 980 !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,114 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    For pushing the pixels and future proof then yes, grab a 2080ti ;) retire that poor old 980 !!!

    Good Decision. When I bought my 1080ti the 1080 for less was tempting but it pays to future proof. You would think the 1080  would come down in price.  It's crazy how it works.



  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,279 Volunteer Moderator

    mmmm @Techy111 , now I'm wondering if I should wait for you to review the Reverb before buying a Rift-S or you should wait for me to review a Rift-S before buying a Reverb!!!

    ….or maybe we just go ahead and buy the two different headsets and others can benefit from two reviews.

    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    I think whatever now, I need and want the increased resolution for ours and others flight simulators. It's really all I ever do so I'm after that damn reverb. Will keep my Go but undecided yet on the cv1. And @inovator my 2080ti when I bought it was 1059 quid but rocketed up to 1499 just a few weeks later. Crazy prices  I really thought the 1080ti's would of come down in price now.......
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Techy111 said:
    For pushing the pixels and future proof then yes, grab a 2080ti ;) retire that poor old 980 !!!

    Good Decision. When I bought my 1080ti the 1080 for less was tempting but it pays to future proof. You would think the 1080  would come down in price.  It's crazy how it works.



    Well the 1080TI is not that far behind the 2080TI in performance which is why it's holding value. I bought my 1080 when they first came out as I was due for an upgrade. The TI version didn't come out for almost a year after. No regrets on that. But now, I'm definitely on the bottom of the curve with a 1080 in 2019.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Zenbane said:
    I was just about to ask...

    I need to upgrade my 980 this year. What's the best GPU recommendation? Looks like it may be that 2080ti
    Nevermind, had bad numbers.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,114 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I think whatever now, I need and want the increased resolution for ours and others flight simulators. It's really all I ever do so I'm after that damn reverb. Will keep my Go but undecided yet on the cv1. And @inovator my 2080ti when I bought it was 1059 quid but rocketed up to 1499 just a few weeks later. Crazy prices  I really thought the 1080ti's would of come down in price now.......
    If you look it up you may find there was an increase in cards needed to work the bitcoins computations and that contributed. It made me hope that market would crash.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    Just for your info, I had a 1080 and the jump from that to a 2080ti was measured close to a 50% increase in pixel power :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,085 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Techy111 said:
    For pushing the pixels and future proof then yes, grab a 2080ti ;) retire that poor old 980 !!!
    I had a 980 and pre ordered a 2080ti. I was dissapointed with the specs but hung on in there. The straw which broke the camel's back for me was the company were deliberately borking the power delivery compared to their premium model to artificially make the more expensive card attractive . I got a £580 1080ti instead which sits all day around 2ghz and a 1ghz.OC on the memory under benchmark load.
    The 2080ti IS a great card however . I do think this generation is a skippable one however. If it were me right now with a 980 I would pick up the cheapest 2070 you can find. It will be a nice step up from a 980 and use it to ride out this generation and go balls to the wall top end on the 7nm refresh.
    This is of course ignoring AMD. I am not sure how good AMD is in VR but at the mid range the Vega 56 and 64 is pretty good when you factor in the free games. Worth thinking about.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    +1 on what he said ^^^ ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Techy111 said:
    Just for your info, I had a 1080 and the jump from that to a 2080ti was measured close to a 50% increase in pixel power :)
    Then that's even crazier. And Yea, what bigmike said is valid. 7nm/Ampere should be a big jump, holding off with a incremental update might be smarter since you're going for a Rift-S.


  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    I'm redownloading VRmark myself to test my system. I was looking at bad numbers. This article mirrors what you said Techy. https://uploadvr.com/rtx-2080-performance-benchmark/ 

    I hadn't looked at the performance metrics since the 2080TI came out and when all the problems people were having with them happened I ruled it out and haven't revisited until this morning.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,578 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 27
    It is a beast, a pricey one but a beast mate. Even the 2080 over the 1080 is worth it imo

    Oh and I'm going down the reverb path ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    It is a beast, a pricey one but a beast mate. Even the 2080 over the 1080 is worth it imo

    Oh and I'm going down the reverb path ;)
    That's why I'm re-downloading VRMark right now. I might spring for a 2080 as a hold me over and still go for an Ampere.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited March 27
    Ok i figured out what happened, with my CPU, the Orange benchmarks only show a 20% bump for the 2080 and 30% for 2080TI. The Blue shows a 34% bump for the 2080 and a 53% bump for the 2080TI. Yeaaa I think I might be ordering a 2080 lol. I just wish Nvidia would give a hint on when Ampere is coming.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I  certainly will, my aim is to be first on the purchase list !!!!
    ;) 
    I will likely be right there with ya.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,150 Valuable Player
    When overclocking your GPUs take care not to go overboard with your GDDR5 overclock. Doing so can negatively affect your framerates.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,619 Valuable Player
    Great interview with Jason Ruben of Oculus on both Quest and Rift-S



    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Sign In or Register to comment.