New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    When overclocking your GPUs take care not to go overboard with your GDDR5 overclock. Doing so can negatively affect your framerates.
    This can happen with System Ram too and can effect your tracking. I had to reduce my Ram Speed because of some tracking microstuttering.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,114 Valuable Player
    Agreed. The quest is making more of an attempt for mainstream and unfinished games would not help.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,549 Valuable Player
    "its a choice not a force" LOLOOLOLOLOL "We are no longer selling the CV1"
    edited March 28
    Zenbane said:
    Great interview with Jason Ruben of Oculus on both Quest and Rift-S

This was a good look into their thinking. After the Rift-S reveal that's pretty much what I deduced just from the design of it after my initial disappointment subsided. They're still trying to get as many people as they can into VR and remove as many barriers to entry as possible. Releasing a "CV2" would make me and a lot of people on this board very happy but the average joe blow out there can't afford it. I just kinda wish they could do both but I also understand the cost with that is probably not worth it. 
    edited March 28
    This was a good look into their thinking. After the Rift-S reveal that's pretty much what I deduced just from the design of it after my initial disappointment subsided. They're still trying to get as many people as they can into VR and remove as many barriers to entry as possible. Releasing a "CV2" would make me and a lot of people on this board very happy but the average joe blow out there can't afford it. I just kinda wish they could do both.
    It sounds more like comp-out honestly. He repeated things that every manufacturer has to deal with and do it well. Even startups can produce more than one SKU to support more than one group of users. I mean the comment like, "its a choice not a force" and at the same time stop selling CV1 is just an example of, "We know, but we just don't care" to me. Basically - we wont be seeing a CV2 for a few more years from what it is sounding like and the Rift S is the carry over until then. Aka, the Rift S is the new high end and their "upgrade" because there isn't another headset coming out any time soon in the "pro" market. More or less, this guy just gave me and everyone else that wants a higher end headset the middle finger for people that just want low cost headsets even though the cost of entry isnt the headset - but the PC it self. Amazing!
    OMG I didn't know I wouldn't have to pay again for rift ported games to the quest. I want to play for example the climb and superhot again without the wires on the quest which will make it a very different experience.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    OMG I didn't know I wouldn't have to pay again for rift ported games to the quest. I want to play for example the climb and superhot again without the wires on the quest which will make it a very different experience.
    He did mention that this would be up to the individual developers whether they opt for it or not  (As it should be) but yeah, this will be awesome for owners of multiple devices!

Combined with the cross-play feature (also a big deal!  Means those games' multiplayer communities won't be divided up)  I wonder if it will be possible for a household with both a Rift(-S) and a Quest to log in to the same game, from the same Oculus account, and play together?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,504
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
    • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
    • Quest will be only finished, final products.
    I think this is great.
    Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Zenbane said:
    Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
    • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
    I think this is great.
    Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).
    I'm a CV1 w/ a GO. I'm buying Rift-S for the improved optics, tracking ease, new features like Passthrough+
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,504
    Project 2501
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Zenbane said:
    I think this is great.
    I'm a CV1 w/ a GO. I'm buying Rift-S for the improved optics, tracking ease, new features like Passthrough+
    Seems sensible, thanks.  Are you also going to upgrade your Go to a Quest?  

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Zenbane said:
    I think this is great.
    The confirmation of cross-buy between Rift and Go makes me think that a "Go emulator mode" for Quest isn't necessarily out of the question, either.

Not that it would really ever be necessary;  if you own a Go and a Quest, why would you waste your Quest's batteries playing 3dof games when you can just do that stuff on the Go itself, and save the Quest for 6dof stuff?

I guess if you're letting someone else in your household borrow the Go, or you're going on a trip and only want to pack the Quest, and there's a 3dof game that you're just dying to play instead of any of your Quest games...   but that does kinda seem like an unlikely scenario, eh?    Or maybe if you buy the Quest and then decide you don't want your Go any more at all, so you sell / give it to someone else... but you still want to play the Go games on your account?  That might be a slightly more likely scenario, I guess.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,619 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    But it will be 100% supported going forward. Seems you cherry picked the parts of the interview you wanted to hear. I began highly skeptical, but I am able to process new information. Listen to the interview again, minus the bias.
    ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Zenny buys a Rift S,

calling it now  :p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 467
    Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Seems sensible, thanks.  Are you also going to upgrade your Go to a Quest?  
    No, I use GO for media: video, streaming TV, Netflix, Hulu, Venues.  It's still the best for that since it has the RGB stripe screen.  IMO, Quest is more about playing games which I don't need in a mobile device, I'll be using RIft for playing games.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    To me the go isn't that  comfortable without the stiff strap. I'll use the quest for media as well. 
    inovator said:
    To me the go isn't that  comfortable without the stiff strap.

That's exactly the strap I was talking about.
    edited March 28
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    But it will be 100% supported going forward. Seems you cherry picked the parts of the interview you wanted to hear. I began highly skeptical, but I am able to process new information. Listen to the interview again, minus the bias.
    ;)
    Can't support both if you only selling one though:) but you just ignore the fact? There isnt a choice here. They will support it much like the DK units. Once your warranty is up - they will just tell you to get a new one. There will be no extra parts outside of warranty or low volume supply once that extra stuff runs out. Even upcoming patches will be drop. So its not really a choice - its a cut off date:) I mean look at the treatment of DK owners after they stop the sell of the units.
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    ;)
    Can't support both if you only selling one though:) but you just ignore the fact? There isnt a choice here. They will support it much like the DK units. Once your warranty is up - they will just tell you to get a new one. There will be no extra parts outside of warranty or low volume supply once that extra stuff runs out. Even upcoming patches will be drop. So its not really a choice - its a cut off date:) I mean look at the treatment of DK owners after they stop the sell of the units.
    DK > CV1  vs  CV1 > Rift-S  is NOT a good comparison.

The Developer Kits, for starters, were NOT intended for consumers to buy in the first place. They were intended to be developer kits, and consumers were told to wait until the CV1 came out to buy a Rift.  So there was no reason for anyone to expect any kind of support for the Developer Kits once they were no longer needed for pre-CV1 development purposes.

afaik,  no release versions of Rift games ever supported the DKs to begin with, either.. and most programs made for the DKs won't run on Rift?    But Oculus has already stated that ALL future games in the Rift store will support the Rift as much as they do the Rift-S   (at least until we start getting into things that utilize the cameras for gameplay purposes, but that sort of thing is specifically NOT being allowed through the SDK in the near future)

Also, there were only ever enough DKs manufactured to supply the developers that needed them  (and the however-many enthusiasts that just couldn't wait).  Oculus even had to deny sales to certain countries for a period of time because so many people were ordering them just to play with, that it was preventing them from getting into developers hands.  By the time the CV1 launched, there really wasn't any more DK2 hardware to hand out.

The Rift, on the other hand, has been in production for a long-ass time, in mass quantities, in attempt to stay ahead of the demand.  So even though the systems aren't being sold, it's a safe bet that they still have plenty of units and accessories on reserve for replacement.
    edited March 28
    CrashFu said:
    ...already stated that..

...no release versions of Rift games ever supported the DKs to begin with...

...plenty of units ... reserve for replacement.
    They said the same thing about the DK units - history shows other wise right now. Even if I am wrong - time will have pass and everyone will be pressure to move on anyways, but again, still not a choice. It will be a push to move away from the current tracking method as they move forward with vision tracking. So yes, DK to CV1 is still an example what will happen much like how the DK owners felt about what happen to them. As for software patches - they will have less reason to focus on fixing current problems as they slowly get people to push over as well. Not that there are many issues - but I can for see a windows update there - a driver release there - and then slow death as people just tell people to stop messing with the USBs and cameras and move over to the vision tracking methods.

Oculus also "stated" that everything will be backwards compatible - but it doesn't look like the current tracking methods will be for the Rift S now is it:)?

Also, LOL wtf XD YES THEY WERE, OMG! LOL THAT MAKES ME LAUGH SOO HARD. You do know the CV1 didn't come with controllers, right? That they were design as seated games. Most games were created using the DK units for the CV1 release aka, they was design to work for both xD Ok, I understand maybe you came late into Oculus game - but your knowledge how it went down seems really off xDDD Most games now are design for the controllers - not the headset it self. That is the difference when it comes to the split of games.

The major problem with your theory is the fact you can't buy a older model. As things break - you will be force into getting a new one unless you want to not have a working unit meaning wasted cameras, cables, etc. This is what will create the pressure to move on - again - it wont be a choice - just something you have to live with. Unless you are under warranty - I dont think they're going to just replace your unit for a price either:)

Well if I am right, what will you tell me next:)? "Who cares that was 1-2 year(s) ago." Or "Rift S is better anyways... just move on!" LOL. Point is - it'll happen - but much like you laugh about the DK owners - that will happen to the CV owners too. 
    So to summarize VR Oasis' video:

built-in audio: Tinny.
    IPD:  can adjust from 58 - 72
    Tracking:  Excellent.
    Fit:  Very comfortable, glasses-wearers rejoice, but don't shake your head violently or it'll wobble
    For CV1 owners?:  Meh.
    As a first-time VR system:  Hell yes.
    CrashFu said:

Fit:  Very comfortable, glasses-wearers rejoice, but don't shake your head violently or it'll wobble
    Nice summary.

Yea the only reason I'm probably going to get a Rift-S is because I can't stand to put on my CV1 anymore and look through those lenses lol. I just looked on ebay and CV1's are going for 100 bucks, even saw a brand new unopened one for 150 lol. I'll have to hold mine until people need parts. :P
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,107 Valuable Player
    I'm actually pondering how to replace my IPD stuck Rift.
    Refurbished from Oculus, or a used one. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Mradr said:
    Can't support both if you only selling one though:) but you just ignore the fact?
    Incorrect. Microsoft supports things that they have discontinued all the time. Just because you don't understand how this is possible doesn't mean a company like Oculus doesn't understand. A lot of your arguments rely on the notion that an organization is limited to the things that you personally choose to understand. But that's fiction.

They will support it much like the DK units.

There's a difference between a Consumer product and a Demo product. That should be obvious.

Once your warranty is up - they will just tell you to get a new one. There will be no extra parts outside of warranty or low volume supply once that extra stuff runs out. Even upcoming patches will be drop. So its not really a choice - its a cut off date:) I mean look at the treatment of DK owners after they stop the sell of the units.

That's a nice fictional story. You'd make a decent writer I think lol

• trek554trek554 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 28
    pyroth309 said:
    CrashFu said:

Nice summary.

Yea the only reason I'm probably going to get a Rift-S is because I can't stand to put on my CV1 anymore and look through those lenses lol. I just looked on ebay and CV1's are going for 100 bucks, even saw a brand new unopened one for 150 lol. I'll have to hold mine until people need parts. :P
    I think you might want to look again instead of spreading nonsense. none of the Rifts can be had for anywhere near 100 bucks so not sure where you are pulling that BS from. maybe you are just looking at the starting bids. the cheapest buy it now CV1 on there is 275 bucks  plus 37 for shipping. that means NONE of the CV1 Rifts can be had for under 300 bucks at this very moment. 
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
    trek554 said:
    I think you might want to look again instead of spreading nonsense. none of the Rifts can be had for anywhere near 100 bucks so not sure where you are pulling that BS from. maybe you are just looking at the starting bids. the cheapest buy it now CV1 on there is 275 bucks  plus 37 for shipping. that means NONE of the CV1 Rifts can be had for under 300 bucks at this very moment. 

The only one spouting nonsense and BS here is you. Anyone can check Ebay and confirm several Rift's in the $100 range. Like this one:

• trek554trek554 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    trek554 said:

The only one spouting nonsense and BS here is you. Anyone can check Ebay and confirm several Rift's in the $100 range. Like this one:

maybe learn to read before replying. that is just a BIDDING PRICE just like I said. 
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
    trek554 said:
    maybe learn to read before replying. that is just a BIDDING PRICE just like I said. 

Yes, and the bidding price is how much they are "going for," which is what you tried to contradict. You don't understand many things so maybe stop trying to post so much and leave the conversation for the adults.