New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,564 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Mradr said:

@pyroth309 I wasnt talking about you in any of these post. I am not sure where Zen got the idea I was. So far everything youve said I agree on so far.
    I didn't notice anyway. When you and Zen start going I'm like -

I think I just died from laughter XDD I wish we could super post this:))
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,782 Valuable Player
    Yeah I can tell when @Mradr has rolled up his sleeves for another round of luvin. It gets my juices a flowin'...

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:
    Yeah I can tell when @Mradr has rolled up his sleeves for another round of luvin. It gets my juices a flowin'...

Unfortunately I have to go to bed for now XD but I will comment later:)) Take care for tonight. Also, I am going to hold you onto that beer later on:P
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player

WAAAGH!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,345 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Pretty good video. Pretty much confirmed most of my thoughts. I hope they come through with that over ear attachment, or I'll have to modify it to create my own permanent ones. It has the same shimmy as other halo designs.

Only thing that surprised me is how he was losing tracking close to the cameras. I hope they can fix that over time in software because I don't experience that with my O+.

Slept some hours and went to work - and then 47 new posts  :o 

Trying to get this thread back on track, I really liked the video - it confirmed most of my thoughts - that the tracking isn't quite as good (but it so close that most users probably won't notice the difference), limited god rays, decreasing SDE, sound may be a major issue and he liked the LCD - but he didn't recommend upgrading from the Rift. 

He had the Rift-S for 2 hours, maybe the longest yet. Still I'd like to read reviews after let's say at least 1 week of using the Rift-S with difference apps and games, not just Asgard's Wrath. Could be fun to try it, and it's not that expensive - I'm starting to think I could use both Rift and Rift-S - one for the kids, one for me ;-)

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? Does the Rift-S now look even better?
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,142 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? 
    Yes - the default render target is the same, so same headroom of course. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Pretty good video. Pretty much confirmed most of my thoughts. I hope they come through with that over ear attachment, or I'll have to modify it to create my own permanent ones. It has the same shimmy as other halo designs.

Only thing that surprised me is how he was losing tracking close to the cameras. I hope they can fix that over time in software because I don't experience that with my O+.

Slept some hours and went to work - and then 47 new posts  :o 

Trying to get this thread back on track, I really liked the video - it confirmed most of my thoughts - that the tracking isn't quite as good (but it so close that most users probably won't notice the difference), limited god rays, decreasing SDE, sound may be a major issue and he liked the LCD - but he didn't recommend upgrading from the Rift. 

He had the Rift-S for 2 hours, maybe the longest yet. Still I'd like to read reviews after let's say at least 1 week of using the Rift-S with difference apps and games, not just Asgard's Wrath. Could be fun to try it, and it's not that expensive - I'm starting to think I could use both Rift and Rift-S - one for the kids, one for me ;-)

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is crancked up to 2.0 - same headroom? Does the Rift-S now look even better?
    Don't worry, There was only like 5 good posts.

Yea supersampling is my only question at this point. I've never seen an LCD supersampled. The odyssey is more subtle but you can tell the difference on text.
    Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:

And I'd like to hear what happens if ss is cranked up to something like 1.5 - 2.0 - same headroom? 
     Yeah, but then the 80 Hz should give me like 12% more headroom... Which would be great  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,177 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    trek554 said:
    I think you might want to look again instead of spreading nonsense. none of the Rifts can be had for anywhere near 100 bucks so not sure where you are pulling that BS from. maybe you are just looking at the starting bids. the cheapest buy it now CV1 on there is 275 bucks  plus 37 for shipping. that means NONE of the CV1 Rifts can be had for under 300 bucks at this very moment. 

The only one spouting nonsense and BS here is you. Anyone can check Ebay and confirm several Rift's in the $100 range. Like this one:

I normally don't buy from e bay but I saw on the 1st page around 16 headsets within a few dollars of $200.00 and higher and 11  priced lower with 102.50 being the lowest. I guess it depends on the condition (scratches and material conditions). If what I saw was bidding it would be interesting to see the average price after bids.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, but then the 80 Hz should give me like 12% more headroom... Which would be great  B)
    Yeah, I forgot about that.
    And if you feel like 2.0 is maxing out the detail on a CV1, you'll probably wanna go to 2.5 on the Lenovo.
    Personally I feel anything above 1.6 just isn't worth it on the CV1.
    edited March 2019
    Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that.
    And if you feel like 2.0 is maxing out the detail on a CV1, you'll probably wanna go to 2.5 on the Lenovo.
    Personally I feel anything above 1.6 just isn't worth it on the CV1.

I can't see any/much difference using ss above 2.0 on the Rift - and 2.5 would require a 2080 Ti for most games, lol. Many games work great using high levels of ss - so why not get the best image quality possible. Games like Lone Echo profit the most regarding texture quality, in other games high ss provides great antialiasing, but I was hoping that higher res would reduce the need for ss, not increase it, we'll see ;)

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Hi everyone,

Doing a blanket reminder tour of the threads, please get yourselves re-acquainted with the forum rules as it would seem people have suddenly got mass amnesia due to the recent announcements.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/1443/oculus-forum-rules#latest

I don't like to get heavy handed so do me a solid, read the rules.

Thanks.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    I think it's because waiting is so hard it makes u crazy.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player

WAAAGH!
    edited March 2019
    Seems like the girls are super excited :blush: (and it seems like Oculus paid transport and accommodation like Mike from Oasis, so again this may lead to a bias)

RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like the girls are super excited :blush: (and it seems like Oculus paid transport and accommodation like Mike from Oasis, so again this may lead to a bias)

OMG this game will be awesome. Oculus! I'll give u 100 dollars more if you send me 1 day delivery now!
    inovator said:
    RuneSR2 said:

OMG this game will be awesome. Oculus! I'll give u 100 dollars more if you send me 1 day delivery now!

I had to stop watching the video - too many spoilers from the game - I prefer to know as little as possible (don't want to ruin any in-game surprises by having seen them first in a pancake video).

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,106 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    trek554 said:
    current bidding price is not how much a product sells for, you idiot. do you really not know how bidding works?

The "going for" price is not the final "sell price" you idiot. Do you really not know how English works?
    Really not sure why I am sticking my beak in but perhaps this is a regional dialect thing? Where I am from if some on tells me (rift in this case) things are going for X amount to me that would mean actual sale price once the hammer drops. If the bidding is not finished then the product is not going for the current price because you can't get it at that price. However it is quite likely where you are from the price it is going for could very well mean current bidding price?

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    inovator said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I had to stop watching the video - too many spoilers from the game - I prefer to know as little as possible (don't want to ruin any in-game surprises by having seen them first in a pancake video).
    Same here, I've only seen the initial trailer, trying not to spoil more than what they're advertising.
    edited March 2019
    Really not sure why I am sticking my beak in but perhaps this is a regional dialect thing? Where I am from if some on tells me (rift in this case) things are going for X amount to me that would mean actual sale price once the hammer drops. If the bidding is not finished then the product is not going for the current price because you can't get it at that price. However it is quite likely where you are from the price it is going for could very well mean current bidding price?

Have you ever attended a live auction? A live bidding?
    They literally say this:
    Going once, going twice ... sold!

If someone makes a bid before the Auctioneer says "sold" then the price changes (goes up), and it is going for a new price.

In an auction, once the hammer drops it "went for" (past tense) a sale price. That is why I defined "going" and made sure to put the tenses (time) around each phrasing. It is the individual who is placing the bid that changes the price, not the store. What you are describing is a basic store approach. So if you walk in to Best Buy and see a TV for $3,000 then that is how much is "going for" because you can't haggle the price! Since a price is set at a retail store, it's always going for the set sale price.

But at an auction... the price is constantly changing based on the consumer bidding. Which means that the price is always "going for" whatever the latest bid is, and when the "hammer drops" it is automatically sold to the last person who made the bid. Which means it "went for" the last bid price.

ergo,
    Going... Going... GONE!

edited March 2019
    @[email protected] At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean. How much usually after bidding do people pay for the headset or the price at a retail store.

Keep me out of this though LOL!!! 
    edited March 2019
    Mradr said:
    @[email protected] At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean.
    went for <> going for

Past tense vs present test.
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    @[email protected] At the end of the day - whatever the headset went for is usually what people mean.
    went for <> going for

Past tense vs present test.
    I said it correctly:) The only thing I would argue about is the fact it is USED and not NEW - so you are taking a big risk if the product doesn't have some wear and tear and or a glitch to the device. A seller would only have to say it was the buyer fault assuming if there was any damage or a glitch. I mean its easy to fight it - but can be a big headache if you are not use to it.
    edited March 2019
    Mradr said:
    The only thing I would argue about is the fact it is USED and not NEW

Why would you argue that? We're talking about Auctions and wording (e.g. going for). So why introduce a new argument now? lol

The E-Bay Auctions for the Oculus Rift include both USED and NEW products. That was stated very early on in this part of the discussion, and you can easily check E-Bay right now to see it.
    edited March 2019
    Lets make a poll - what do people think when they read "going for" regarding something being sold continuously on ebay. 
    .. But i feel pretty sure @Zenbane will insist we should all learn just English. :lol:
    edited March 2019
    Wildt said:
    Lets make a poll - what do people think when they read "going for" regarding something being sold continuously on ebay.

The proof was in the Auction video. They say "going once... going twice..." and then the price changes. No idea what a poll of public opinion will do for your argument since you're simply referring to a logical fallacy anyway: "Appeal to Popularity" lol
    https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/40/Appeal-to-Popularity

Wildt said:

.. But i feel pretty sure @Zenbane will insist we should all learn just English. :lol:

Not just English, but learning the Inner Workings of an Auction helps too.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,243 Valuable Player
    Evri1 shud speek propa Inglish like wot I do innit.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    When I want to find "the value of something on EBay"  I just do an advanced search, and look for Completed Listings.

Easy way to see what you can expect to get for it.  Only question left is how much you should start the bid at;  they say starting lower will get you more attention, but would you really want to risk selling your CV1 for a measly $100?  Not like you can get another one at this point, eh?  :wink:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.