Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

13468936

Comments

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    No, I seen full on video of Quest being used in BS a while back
    Yeah nah, link to the video or article from "awhile back" or else we can't really claim that.

    It is confirmed today for what seems to be the first time ever. No point going back n forth just saying "yes/no" when we have the Internet to prove it lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe it was the GO with 6dof accessory? 


    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

    Be kind to one another :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    No, I seen full on video of Quest being used in BS a while back
    Yeah nah, link to the video or article from "awhile back" or else we can't really claim that.

    It is confirmed today for what seems to be the first time ever. No point going back n forth just saying "yes/no" when we have the Internet to prove it lol
    I know I am just trying to remember what it was like - the name it self was random letters and numbers - and it one someone testing BS software to see how it reacted to something. Like it wasnt to be shown but needed a demo of usage. Like I said that was a month ago lol - so I am not sure it is atm - looking for it again though. Sometimes I run across these leaks though and not sure if real or fake at times, lol. Some of us was were wondering if it was Rift S as well because it had a slightly different shape to it - but everything else match. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    I know I am just trying to remember what it was like - the name it self was random letters and numbers - and it one someone testing BS software to see how it reacted to something. Like it wasnt to be shown but needed a demo of usage. Like I said that was a month ago lol - so I am not sure it is atm - looking for it again though. Sometimes I run across these leaks though and not sure if real or fake at times, lol.

    I looked earlier when you first mentioned it. Went to YouTube and started using their filter system to try to find it. The closest thing I found was the video that LZ just posted about GO.

    I mean, I'm sure it is possible that this info was leaked before since this is a new version of Beat Saber built for the Quest platform. So yeah, that means Beta Testers were involved and it's hard to keep that stuff secret for long.

    But I have tried to stay on top with this stuff between information leaks on Facebook and reddit, and I honestly never saw it. Even now as I try to find it, I can't! The closest thing I found was a YouTube comment earlier today saying that they "already knew this was coming." But maybe that was just you? lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    I know I am just trying to remember what it was like - the name it self was random letters and numbers - and it one someone testing BS software to see how it reacted to something. Like it wasnt to be shown but needed a demo of usage. Like I said that was a month ago lol - so I am not sure it is atm - looking for it again though. Sometimes I run across these leaks though and not sure if real or fake at times, lol.

    I looked earlier when you first mentioned it. Went to YouTube and started using their filter system to try to find it. The closest thing I found was the video that LZ just posted about GO.

    I mean, I'm sure it is possible that this info was leaked before since this is a new version of Beat Saber built for the Quest platform. So yeah, that means Beta Testers were involved and it's hard to keep that stuff secret for long.

    But I have tried to stay on top with this stuff between information leaks on Facebook and reddit, and I honestly never saw it. Even now as I try to find it, I can't! The closest thing I found was a YouTube comment earlier today saying that they "already knew this was coming." But maybe that was just you? lol
    LOL no. And no on that guy either. Really this was a random account with like maybe a kids video on it or animation test. Like it look a leak from a beta tester. I thought everyone else knew xD I just can;t remember where I saw the post for it. I thought it was in roadtovr - maybe it was from uploadtovr - or raddit. I am looking. Everything getting a bit cover up with people asking a ton of questions over GDC - so even the world Quest is pulling a shit ton of results LOL
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    LOL no. And no on that guy either. Really this was a random account with like maybe a kids video on it or animation test. Like it look a leak from a beta tester. I thought everyone else knew xD I just can;t remember where I saw the post for it. I thought it was in roadtovr - maybe it was from uploadtovr - or raddit. I am looking. Everything getting a bit cover up with people asking a ton of questions over GDC - so even the world Quest is pulling a shit ton of results LOL

    Here's an article from this past December talking about how the Beat Saber dev's would not confirm it:
    https://www.quora.com/Will-Beat-Saber-be-available-on-the-Oculus-Quest

    Anyway, let's move on. If you ended up finding something that shows a public leak then cool. But so far you haven't so... on to bigger and better news, sweetie.
    ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    I want to pre-order the Quest and Rift-S now, pls make it possible to order now!
    We have been waiting to long now.... Teasing people, creates a feel for ordering. But waiting to long makes you look in to other vendors and brands......
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,704 Valuable Player
    JohSm67 said:
    I want to pre-order the Quest and Rift-S now, pls make it possible to order now!
    We have been waiting to long now.... Teasing people, creates a feel for ordering. But waiting to long makes you look in to other vendors and brands......
    Yep can't even order Quest yet, probably going to be a while... much else anything on Rift.
    But I guess this Beat Sabre thing is exciting for many.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Historically, neither Facebook nor Oculus has shown to have an interest in altering their business model and roadmap out of fear of consumers looking at other vendors. Which is understandable if you actually "look" at the other vendors, na' mean?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,704 Valuable Player
    Sounds like that may be your highlight of the week lol.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    I think we are suffering from slow news day fever. A huge lot of us on vr discord are micro analysing a video someone posted where Quest lost tracking in Beat Saber, we are doing frame analysis, reconstructing the position of the body in a 3d programme, basically going stir crazy! hahaha

    Yep!

    Someone on facebook already posted side-by-sides so that people can over-analyze the graphical differences.


    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    front page has changed from 

    to




    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

    Be kind to one another :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    Yea someone in discord doing the same here with BS XD I think people need to also remember is that Quest is not the same as PC so its going to look a lot different in many cases.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    For those of us waiting to order Quest, we probably won't see the official announcement and Order page until Wednesday when this presentation takes place:

    Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest


    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Historically, neither Facebook nor Oculus has shown to have an interest in altering their business model and roadmap out of fear of consumers looking at other vendors. Which is understandable if you actually "look" at the other vendors, na' mean?
    I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it. They did to meet their over all goal in that they want to hit mass market with VR. Rift S really should be a CV2 - not a refresh in the board market of things because CV1 would be the lower end model for PC - not Rift S being lower or higher. More or less - it screams a bit of delay for higher end VR headsets.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Mradr said:
    I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it.
    We don't know what Rift-S entails at all so we definitely cannot say what seems to be the most popular piece of conjecture "it's just a Quest with a cable."

    If you see my quote, I began with the word "Historically." Which means I'm basing my opinion on observing the facts that have transpired in the past. We can't argue historical facts with rumors of the future.

    But to your point, Facebook is not altering their plan with Rift's progression based on other Vendors; they are altering their plans based on the fact that they are not meeting their "1-billion customers" goal fast enough.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it.
    We don't know what Rift-S entails at all so we definitely cannot say what seems to be the most popular piece of conjecture "it's just a Quest with a cable."

    If you see my quote, I began with the word "Historically." Which means I'm basing my opinion on observing the facts that have transpired in the past. We can't argue historical facts with rumors of the future.

    But to your point, Facebook is not altering their plan with Rift's progression based on other Vendors; they are altering their plans based on the fact that they are not meeting their "1-billion customers" goal fast enough.
    Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

    Also, "Historically" we got rock band over Touch controllers:) (Sorry, I dont think this feeling will ever leave me from those dark days xD)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Don't want to read through all the posts, but is all this about Beat Bloody Saber? When are they likely to talk about Rift S? I think I'm having a grumpy Big Mike just woke up moment. 
    Maybe closer to the end - right now I say its all about the software than hardware. So we should see titles first follow by more news and hints - then finally the big news. Quest is the star of this show though so that is what they want to rave up.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

    I guess I'm not seeing where your disagreement comes from. We've had the Rift CV1 for 3 years, and everything we know about Quest and the rumored Rift-S comes in direct response to global sales not meeting expectations. So my comment is that Facebook doesn't give in to pressure from other Vendors. So far my point seems spot on; I don't see other vendors coming any closer to selling 1-billion units than Oculus. By all market standards, Oculus is the leader in VR right now with the combined sales of: GearVR, GO, and Rift. Not to mention that Oculus is the leader in "platform exclusives" for VR, as well as hand-controllers with Touch still being the defacto "best" implementation.

    I see zero evidence that any other Vendor is causing Facebook and Oculus to change course. You seem to be telling me that I might be wrong, which is fine. But you aint showing me yet.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 450
    Trinity
    GDC is a week long event.
    Oculus is having an invite only press event today (I think it's going on right now).

    What's significant of the invite only event, is there is an enforced embargo on the event that is lifted on Wednesday. Thus, many in the community think Wednesday will be the day Oculus makes those public announcements. Point being, GDC has only just begun! There should be more to come.

    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player

    Nice find! I think you are correct in that Wednesday is the big day for the biggest announcements. Multiple rumors are pointing in that direction.

    Enjoy the stress and insomnia, folks!

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    Just wake me up when it's time to order. Thanks.


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,704 Valuable Player
    We shall see, ain't holding my breath.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,520 Valuable Player
    Just wake me up when it's time to order. Thanks.
    Which headset are you targeting, Quest or Rift-S? Both??
    :o
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

    I guess I'm not seeing where your disagreement comes from. We've had the Rift CV1 for 3 years, and everything we know about Quest and the rumored Rift-S comes in direct response to global sales not meeting expectations. So my comment is that Facebook doesn't give in to pressure from other Vendors. So far my point seems spot on; I don't see other vendors coming any closer to selling 1-billion units than Oculus. By all market standards, Oculus is the leader in VR right now with the combined sales of: GearVR, GO, and Rift. Not to mention that Oculus is the leader in "platform exclusives" for VR, as well as hand-controllers with Touch still being the defacto "best" implementation.

    I see zero evidence that any other Vendor is causing Facebook and Oculus to change course. You seem to be telling me that I might be wrong, which is fine. But you aint showing me yet.
    Oh I see - I am not talking about other vendors - I am talking about customer pressure and the market the customer wants to play in - not the pressure of other vendors aka why I didnt say anything about them:) - just the idea what Oculus wanted to hit the one billion unit sell mark. They change their plans to hit with smaller upgrades than bigger ones so this way it scales better to market. Keep price low - and the upgrades just enough to seem like its a good deal over last gen model. I mean that is how basically cell phone work. Its still a phone - but just 20 or 30% faster than last generation. I say this because I dont think we will "see" a "were selling the CV2 next year!" at the next Oculus Connect. Most likely itll be about Quest and Rift S with a demo of CV2 with them talking about the next big changes - but will be more like features in terms of eye tracking. Next GDC 2020 will release a new GO2.0 and then finally OC 2020 news about a release date for CV2. Any sooner or later - I dont see the point in releasing the Rift S. Yet, this would still match customer pressure to upgrade with their hardware while providing a cheaper path.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Just wake me up when it's time to order. Thanks.
    Which headset are you targeting, Quest or Rift-S? Both??
    :o
    The wireless PSVR!





    j/k. I need to see both Rift products to know if I want both or not.

    *edit* on a sidenote, does that image bring back powerglove nightmares for anyone else?
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    For those of us waiting to order Quest, we probably won't see the official announcement and Order page until Wednesday when this presentation takes place:

    Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest


    Will follow, but after uding Vive, Rift, ogo, i want an upgrade and move to a Wireless HMD.
    My fear is that the Quest will be just another HMD in need for some upgrading to be good.

    Experience from using the TPCast on the original Vive was not that impressive. To much latency and bad SW/HW support (Still PC GPU rendering).
    Maybe I should go for VivePro with the original Wireless adapter or wait for the Rift S and wait for an Wireless addon for it.

    What should you spend your money on?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,508 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    For me? I spend it on almost anything else BUT wireless. I understand the freedom from the cord is nice - but to get that freedom it COST too much right now. Even if it came down - then the next headset will increase its price right back up to keep any where near the level of performance it needs to have for higher and higher resolutions. 

    I think the better move is to do something like Quest - but more of a pocket PC in terms of mobile parts inside a slight larger wallet size PC that feeds the headset the PC like device. This way you can use the device for PC or the mobile PC and you sure will know its limits by having it switch between the two stores. 
Sign In or Register to comment.