Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 9 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,034 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    inovator said:

Might be tempting if it had more then 2 camera's. I bet the tracking sucks with just the 2 camera's, but it might be alright for just racing sims. The screen resolution would also have a big impact on my Geforce 1080 no doubt, so it might be more tempting to those with a Geforce 2080Ti and if racing sims is your thing.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,803 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    Hello!!!!!
    edit she has clarified that it is just rumour fingers crossed

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    Refliza Wow thanks  for added info.  if it's only 2 cameras it's no longer tempting. Quest has 6 cameras.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    inovator said:
    Refliza Wow thanks  for added info.  if it's only 2 cameras it's no longer tempting. Quest has 6 cameras.
    Ya, the new HP is a WMR headset afterall
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,588 Valuable Player
    I think the bloke that was doing that demo with that MRTV bloke didn't know what he was talking about or just made a slip of the tongue. I thought it was odd when he said it. We haven't had any confirmation from anyone else that there are 6 camera on the Quest now.

Or it could be that the Rift S has 6 cameras, perhaps?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • sonicnerd14sonicnerd14 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    What day and time is the keynote suppose to be?
    Hello!!!!!

I would say the opposite. She said she's looking forward to try the Rift S tomorrow, so how is she clarifying that it's just a rumour? It sounds more like we will get some news to me.
    Does anyone know if we will be waiting months between orders, like with the oculus Rift where it was first come first served? Will they make enough Oculus Quest & Oculus S to go around this time, or could we be waiting months if we don't get our orders in?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,305 Valuable Player
    They will probably announce, that they will have an Announcement in the coming months, of where their VR future is headed, and that no they have not forgotten the Rift.  LOL.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,803 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Hello!!!!!

I would say the opposite. She said she's looking forward to try the Rift S tomorrow, so how is she clarifying that it's just a rumour? It sounds more like we will get some news to me.
    I do not know what you mean. She clarified in a further post that the rumour is rift s will be demoed tomorrow but that it is just a rumour. I am more hopeful now however than I was this morning :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Alllllllll abooooooaaaaaaarrrddd!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Project 2501
    edited March 19
    Someone pointed out about the video I posted that the guys demoing of the quest said there were 6 cameras. That was never announced. He was evasive about battery life etc. I believe it was a slip of the tongue. He seemed nice. Hope his head doesn't roll. I do  believe it's 6 cameras 
    RedRizla said:
    Does anyone know if we will be waiting months between orders, like with the oculus Rift where it was first come first served? Will they make enough Oculus Quest & Oculus S to go around this time, or could we be waiting months if we don't get our orders in?

The problem with the Rift launch was that the COO was useless. Since then they poached Hans Hartmann from Fitbit, this is the guy that sorted out the component shortage within weeks of getting the job and why the Oculus Go launch was good. I'm not expecting any stock issues because this guy is shit hot at his job.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    Some people are speculating Rift-S is a mode for the Oculus quest (Rift Streaming) ... allowing you to use the Quest as a rift with a PC wirelessly. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Project 2501
    Been there done dat
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Some people are speculating Rift-S is a mode for the Oculus quest (Rift Streaming) ... allowing you to use the Quest as a rift with a PC wirelessly. 
    What type of streaming? If its just streaming like - youtube streaming - mmm that is boring really. If its like live stream of the game - then they came cross some real life magic right now. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,041
    Wintermute
    "S" stands for suckers!
    There ain't no Rift S. They're smart enough to not leave traces of code for people to "find".
    Nothing to see here folks, go back to work or school or whatever and enjoy your old Rift, or your new Quest when it arrives.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • rhd2330rhd2330 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Oculus wouldn't be teasing us like this if there wasn't some big news coming.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    Mradr said:
    What type of streaming? If its just streaming like - youtube streaming - mmm that is boring really. If its like live stream of the game - then they came cross some real life magic right now. 
    Read my sentence again, but slower :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited March 19
    deleted.
    Wintermute
    rhd2330 said:
    Oculus wouldn't be teasing us like this if there wasn't some big news coming.

The teasing is self inflicted, based on a mention of "S" and "cameras" in existing Rift code.
    If it exists, and if it is released, it will be so far off that it will need to be changed to "T".
    (it might exist, and it might go on sale in November)
    edited March 19

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow. Maybe she is unaware that Oculus Quest has another mode if this turned out to be true, but I doubt it.

While it would be a great if all this was true, I also don't want my time limited in PC VR and that would be the case because of battery life. The Quest would need to be tethered in order for it not to use a battery, so my guess is Oculus Quest is not Oculus S.
    Wintermute
    edited March 19
    RedRizla said:

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow.

Check out her Twitter, she said afterwards in another tweet that she didn't know anything about an Oculus "S". She was assuming that she would be able to test it tomorrow. (if it exists)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,868 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    RedRizla said:

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow.

Check out her Twitter, she said afterwards in another tweet that she didn't know anything about an Oculus "S". She was assuming that she would be able to test it tomorrow. (if it exists)

I just read her other tweet, and you just lied. She did not say that she doesn't know anything about it. She said that she does not know anything more about it than any of us. Big difference. If you can do me a quick favor, stop posting. Thanks in advance.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Project 2501
    But we don't know anything more about it either. Either way it was said means the same thing. It's just samantics. I think to say he lied was a little harsh. We all know what we were told so other than that we don't know anything.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,868 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    It is not semantics at all. There is a blatant difference between someone saying, they do not know if something exists... versus  saying that they know it exist but do not know more about it than you do.

This discussion has enough conjecture, we do not need to muddy the waters with lying. And referrig to lying as semantics isn't helping. 
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane