New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
edited March 2019 in General

Hello folks, ahead of the GDC reveals and Oculus news I thought it would be nice to have one space where we can discuss the news rather than a million threads. What are you hoping for? What are you most excited about?

Keep an eye out on Oculus twitter and the official blog, will try and update here also:

GDC starts this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and we. are. pumped. Game devs and gamers alike will get hands-on with Oculus Quest, we’ll share some brand-new Rift demos, and we may just have an announcement or two up our sleeves...

RIFT S COMING IN SPRING 2019!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oculus-rift-s-our-new-pc-vr-headset-launching-spring-2019/

#QuestCountdown 

Oculus will be announcing exciting news through the week, so stay tuned!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-at-gdc-2019-oculus-quest-rift-demos-and-more/

Update:

Update: Monday:
Beat Sabre Announced for Oculus Quest:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/freestyle-beat-saber-joins-the-oculus-quest-launch-lineup/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for the time conversion, saved a bit of time...

Obviously playing Beat Saber on Quest in the video.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks for the time conversion, saved a bit of time...

Obviously playing Beat Saber on Quest in the video.
    Yup!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Beat Saber announcement trailer for Quest:

Be good, die great !
    KlodsBrik said:
    Beat Saber announcement trailer for Quest:

Holy cow, nice find!

It looks like the "360" tracking people were so worried about is not going to be an issue!

• NeokinNeokin Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2019
    I just realised, spring starts on Wednesday. I heard there is a secretive press meeting that is embargoed till Wednesday too ... so ...

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    looks like no public live streams then, at least i cant find any.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    If they're confident enough in the Quest's tracking quality to make Beat Saber a launch title, that should reassure anyone who was skeptical about that sort of thing.

Especially considering the Vive struggled with Beat Saber.  (granted that was because of a software issue, but it still gave me a chuckle)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    edited March 2019
    CrashFu said:
    If they're confident enough in the Quest's tracking quality to make Beat Saber a launch title, that should reassure anyone who was skeptical about that sort of thing.

Especially considering the Vive struggled with Beat Saber.  (granted that was because of a software issue, but it still gave me a chuckle)
    John Carmack himself was tweaking the algorithm. He wanted  beat sabre to play BETTER

Wintermute
     No news coming out from there whatsoever .... Does this mean that...

Be good, die great !
    KlodsBrik said:
     No news coming out from there whatsoever .... Does this mean that...

The super-secret embargo is till Wednesday (1st day of spring funnily enough) I am sure we will hear more as the week progresses. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,943 Valuable Player
    I hope Beat Saber for Quest is not the "exciting news" they were talking about. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
    Wintermute

The super-secret embargo is till Wednesday (1st day of spring funnily enough) I am sure we will hear more as the week progresses. 
      Oh, you were dead serious .. lol .. Damn
    In that case:
    But 48 hours of waiting .... :(

Be good, die great !
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    Dang just got back in and no Rift news.
    Disappointment again...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    Is there any new news newsing the net yet?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

dburne said:
    Dang just got back in and no Rift news.
    Disappointment again...
    GDC lasts 4 days ... plenty of time, and more updates are on the way.

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,504 Oculus Start Member
    I would imagine Quest release date and Rift S will be announced at F8 and GDC will be for games only.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,002 Valuable Player
    Dear Oculus, I was expecting both the Oculus Quest and the Oculus Rift S to both release at 3pm this afternoon. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive!!!!  :o:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,475 Valuable Player
    First day of spring comes when NATURE decides. Same goes for any other “official” season date. Official dates mean absolutely nothing. 

That said I am on the fence about the Quest. If it’s an Android device then no way will I buy or sell it. More interested in the Rift S though. 
    Digikid1 said:
    First day of spring comes when NATURE decides. Same goes for any other “official” season date. Official dates mean absolutely nothing. 

That said I am on the fence about the Quest. If it’s an Android device then no way will I buy or sell it. More interested in the Rift S though. 
    Quest is an Android device, 100% confirmed.

Digikid1 said:

Quest is an Android device, 100% confirmed.
    Darn. It looked so good too. 
    Does the OS matter?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 335
    Trinity
    Most likely the best news will be delivered....at....the end!!!! :D
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, MSI 1080ti Gaming X, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Does the OS matter?
    I don't think so; as long as it performs properly and does what it's supposed to then who cares what OS it is..

besides, Proper AR will happen eventually, so having really good quality insideout tracking that's been refined over a couple of years in the android space will be a good thing.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Phones use ARM with RISC Processing (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) which was accidentally discovered way back for the BBC MICRO. It's highly efficient powered and will make Win10 need to change it's architecture to use one. The PC for Gaming will likely soon be phased out too! We know the GPU cards are already approaching their limit for crunching memory for speed.

edited March 2019
    The death of the gaming pc has been championed since the PS1 days. One day it will happen just like one day the end of the world really will be neigh...but it is not today and it won't be soon.

GPUs were in a rut years ago with the 8800 series .... Then Fermi launched and it ran hot and performed less well than hoped, but 1 iteration on and it showed how good it was. I think there is a lot of similarities with Fermi and RTX.

CPUs were in a rut then sandybridge came out. They are in a rut now (though AMD are doing well at bringing decent performance at a good price).

Get NV on 7nm and I think things will improve for pc gaming, though AMD being able to trade GPU blows at the sharp end and not just the mid range will help.... whether AMD will be able to with Navi.... I am not so sure, but now they are well and truly back in the game on the cpu front i am hoping they can put some proper development money into the gpu side, and they are already  leagues ahead in the APU market.

It has been some time since i bought a gpu from the red team and I would like to change that.

edit regarding ARM........ Nvidia were experimenting with putting an arm companion cpu on their gpus for some features.  Not sure if that is something they are still looking at or if it was a dead end.
    My mates husband is very high up in them maybe i should try to get some gossip? (they are based a stones throw from where i work)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,940 Volunteer Moderator
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    It's highly efficient powered and will make Win10 need to change it's architecture to use one.
    Windows 10 has been available on ARM for a while. The Asus Novago laptop from mid last year was Windows 10 on a snapdragon 835 cpu (same as Quest).  Although a change of architecture would help it to run well (it's not great).
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • Caldari5Caldari5 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 
    Crowaust said:
    Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 
    Pacific 

proper time is Eastern.