New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
edited March 20 in Oculus Rift S and Rift

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-reality

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ?? 147 votes

Yes, sign me up!
18%
vannagirlRedRizlaCooterPootJeffNikLollososuperkevDaftnDirectjayhawkRaySuaventwigbelsThmoasClartSkScotcheggCrashFuLZoltowskiNacaryusocsteve39RosgilliesAidens12ShocksOculus 27 votes
Undecided - I need more info
25%
AekeroAndersNolbergerbigmike20vtDilipnalex66RagingAvatarMradrLuluViBritanniaShadowmask72paesanvfrhawkdavejohnblackkzintziChazmeisterPIXELATEDTadinZenbanecrayladKenSniperohgrant 38 votes
No Rift-S for me!
55%
LuciferouskurrySharpfishHiro_Protag0nistWildtShiiNeawoulfChivaslogotomieSpyrdemsm903korgen63DoogukpjennessRolzBraVoTrepidorfixit35LitespeedYoLolo69 82 votes

Comments

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 441
    Trinity
    Frankly, I have no idea.
    On some points, it sounds like an upgrade. Having the Go visuals is great.
    But on others, it sounds like a downgrade. An LCD screen...? Really? I heard the black levels shouldn't be that horrible, but still.
    I'm not fond of the Go-style audio system as well, but since we can use our own headphones instead, it shouldn't be an issue for me as long as I can use my wireless headphones with it.

I'll try it whenever I can and that will make me decide, but for now I'd rather buy the Quest so that I get a headset from that "line of product" (i.e standalone VR) and wait for Rift 2 to upgrade on the PCVR side.

I love that the requirements are the same as the Rift though. And the price is great as well.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,770 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    No Rift-S for me!
    I'm still in love with my CV1, my backlog is full, no need to get a new HMD where the pros may be balanced by the cons (trade-offs and limitations). No plans to jump ship  o:)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Yes, sign me up!
    I probably will.. I'm an easy sell for new tech. fortunately the newer tech is less expensive than new tech used to be (my first 50" plasma was, I think, around 7k)... but i'd really love the digital screen (no screen-dooring) and eye tracking... so.. maybe i'll wait..
  • CongratsulationsCongratsulations Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    No Rift-S for me!
    I’ll wait to OC6, and see if they are working on gen 2?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,239 Valuable Player
    I'm concerned about the lack of physical IPD adjustment, and Nate's comments in the Tested interview confirm that it will not work for as broad a range of people as the CV1. I'm also disappointed in the modest resolution bump--1600p would have made it much more tempting. I do like the sound of the new passthrough mode, though.

I'm going to wait and see. My three-year-old CV1 continues to serve me well, and I don't have any USB or sensor issues with my current setup. Not a lot of compelling reasons to switch over immediately.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • KayosKayos Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    No Rift-S for me!
    Looks like HP Reverb is the way to go now.
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 102
    Art3mis
    Yes, sign me up!
    The inside-out tracking is the game changer for me. For me, getting rid of the sensor placement and USB problems associated with my room scale setup are reason enough to "upgrade" to the S.
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    No Rift-S for me!
    I really love my CV1, my 3 sensors tracking is almost perfect, so unless my Rift dies, I will wait for a real next-gen HMD, even if it's 2021 or 2022.
    But I may buy a Quest for my friends when they come home, to show them what they CAN buy and use too, without having a high end rig.
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
    This Rift S reveal has simply made the quest way more attractive. I doubt I'm not the only one thinking this as an existing Rift owner. I guess it's a win win for anyone new to the Oculus platform where they will have some interesting choices to make.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,913 Valuable Player
    Yes, sign me up!
    This Rift S reveal has simply made the quest way more attractive. I doubt I'm not the only one thinking this as an existing Rift owner. I guess it's a win win for anyone new to the Oculus platform where they will have some interesting choices to make.
    Am i missing something with Quest?? Is quest the real upgrade then Shadow??
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    No Rift-S for me!
    Not for me at this point but I appreciate what they have done here. It will hopefully fill a much needed middle ground for pc gamers with mid to high pc's and bring more VR users in.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
    @vannagirl well yeh because it's completely tether free, a really nice upgrade from the GO with its tracked controllers. If you already own a Rift, then the incremental Rift S sidegrade isn't compelling enough unless there are glowing reviews. Oculus are playing an interesting game and will no doubt hit hard when Rift 2 is revealed next year.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 965
    3Jane
    Yes, sign me up!
    Im definately getting a Quest, no doubt, that´s the only reason I never got a Go.

At some point im im sure im getting a rift-s as well.
     I believe in Oculus and their knowhow, and what they have putted together with the rift-s is a fully functional HMD that will kickass overall. ( Read somewhere that the vibrant colors and true black with no godrays and only minimal SDE ( if you truly looked for it ). That´s what does it for me.
    However, as always I will wait for several reviews before I truly decide. The whole experience I´ve had with my rift for the 17 or so month´s I´ve owned have been a blessing and I believe that Rift-S will deliver the same experience.

An "expensive" upgrade for someone that already have a Rift, for sure. Well, soon reviews will let me know.
    Be good, die great !
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player
    No Rift-S for me!
    KlodsBrik said:
     I believe in Oculus and their knowhow, and what they have putted together with the rift-s is a fully functional HMD that will kickass overall.
    But they had fuck all to do with the Rift S as I see it. It's simply Lenovos already designed WMR product, they snagged when they realized they might have to put something out now that their own Rift 2 project was cancelled.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • KamukixKamukix Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I'm really not sure yet, but I'm very much interested. I've owned my beloved CV1 for going on my 3rd year now, and in that time I've also owned the Samsung Odyssey and Odyssey+ as well as the Google Daydream (different category of course)...I've got a Pimax 5k+ coming (eventually haha, but hopefully this month), and I'm 100% sure that I won't stop there.

The Rift S has some strong points for me, and for the most part ONLY one downside...........I really really really really love the CV1 headband setup, it's super comfortable for very very long 6-12 hour stints of racing (iRacing guy here) and it just works so freaking well for me.

The S on the other hand......that actually scares me that they fixed a thing that wasn't broken for me, and made it like the Odyssey/O+ now instead, which is in NO WAY as comfortable as the Rift for me though it was 'okay'. I just knew(!!!) that they would leave that alone, but I was wrong so I'm unsure on whether or not I want to buy one now yet...of course I haven't tried it yet lol. It might be just fine, but I just worry about the comfort and ease of putting it on/off now that the original headband style is gone.

Other than that I didn't expect much from the new iteration, and I got roughly what I expected and that's fine with me. My Rift is still fantastic so any extra goodness is a welcome thing. The IPD thing doesn't bother me because I luck out with my ~64IPD which according to a Google search is the average IPD anyway.

The head-speaker thing is weird to me and I'll never ever use that, but they've taken care of it by giving me a headphone jack anyway. I used to use the original Rift headphones which are better than they have any right to be, then I went to my Panasonic studio phones which are obviously hilariously better, and finally I'm using the add-on in-ear Rift headphones now which free up my headphone port on my 2nd soundcard for another bass transducer setup that I like using for racing.

I wish I could get one without the controllers since I already have the original Touch and I'll possibly only use it for racing anyway. Who knows, I just want it in my hands so I can see what's what. :smiley:
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player
    No Rift-S for me!
    Oh, and they didn't have the time to plug a wire into the otherwise superior Quest HMD.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 965
    3Jane
    edited March 20
    Yes, sign me up!
    Wildt said:
    But they had fuck all to do with the Rift S as I see it. It's simply Lenovos already designed WMR product, they snagged when they realized they might have to put something out now that their own Rift 2 project was cancelled.
    Hmmm , could be. Soon someone close to us will tear one apart and let us know .. :lol:
    Be good, die great !
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,454
    3Jane
    No Rift-S for me!
    I am not wanting a WMR unit for Gaming LOL! The lack of proper ear phones is terrible.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,209 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    From what we know so far - I say I am more on the ropes for No or Undecided. 60/40 atm in terms if it warrants a buy. Right now I still plan on buying a Quest as it seems more worthy of the price point because it's a on the go unit that should be fun to play with while not at home or over at someone else house (much like a console).

On the other hand - I feel like the Rift S does have some strong points for that price point. At the same time, that price point kill it for something connected to a PC that is naturally going to have more power anyways as hardware gets better. The lack of using my current tracking system sucks a bit - but something I can live with as long as vision tracking is or a good 90% what it did. From what we do know though - that isn't the case with the Rift S only doing about 80% as good but still pretty solid for the area it does track.

Along with that - there was other compromises I just don't understand. The drop in FPS/Hz seems like a silly reason. I understand it was to help keep the same specs as CV1 - but really - who cares? The performance differences is a small one and one that  they could've lied about and still got away with it honestly LOL.

The switch to fast LCD is fine - I understand again why they might have done that - but to go back to software IDP is better over a real slider is flat out stupid. The dual screen serves a purpose over the way it works and one of the main reasons they went that way in the first place. Going back now is just flat out wrong. Everyone is going to notice this when they use it if they come from a CV or a Quest.

If 100$ could fix these issues - I be more than willing to pay 100$ more to get a good refresh than this.

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,566 Valuable Player
    Yes, sign me up!
    It'll be a while before I make the upgrade  (I'll probably get the Quest first, and then need to lay off the spending for a while), but.. at some point, definitely!  Between the resolution, the inside-out tracking, the passthrough-plus system, and the potential for features like hand-tracking and mixed-reality stuff... this is a clear upgrade for only $400.

Not sure why people are talking about the minor tradeoffs like they're dealbreakers.  Could you really tell the difference between a refresh rate of 90 vs 80? 1440 resolution vs 1600?   I seriously doubt it.
    Anxiously awaiting the Rift-S.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    I'm going to wait for more real-life reviews before committing to a Rift-S or Quest.  

I've only had my CV1 and Go for ~11 months now and I'm actually very happy with both of these.  CV1 for AAA games and flight/racing simulators, Go for media and quick VR fixes when travelling.  At this point in time I do not see anything compelling to update either of these.  Never say never though, lol!

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,066
    Wintermute
    I like my Rift, though I might look to buy a replacement if anyone is selling one since I still have that annoying height shift bug :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,708 Valuable Player
    No Rift-S for me!
    I'm still happy with my CV1 even after 2 years.  This Rift S doesn't have anything that wows me and has more that makes me not want it like LCD, no IPD and wondering how the tracking behind the HMD is.  Nothing about it entices me about this thing.

• Andr0ss987Andr0ss987 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just bought a CV1 a bunch of days ago, so I am a bit disappointed about this news... the most relevant feature in my case is the absence of sensor, on the other hands the LCd instead of the OLED is not a good choice, i love the real black when i an in a dark room ir in space... and maybe turn back to 80hz it is not so bad but also not so good... in addition, i heard that the cable can't be replace, it's a really bad thing for me, this means it can't be upgraded but also the connectors on the cable are the first things  that in my case can be broke , because i connect and disconnect the device every time and put it back in its box every single day.

so it's not only an upgrade, it is also a downgrade... so i'm a little bit confused...
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,522 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Yes, sign me up!
    Techy111 said:
    It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.

What would you jump ship to if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I don't think there's a better alternative for the price. Eventually the Vive pro will be redundant because Valve will also start using inside out tracking. The HP Reverb is the only other I can see, but it uses only 2 camera's for tracking, unlike Rift -S five camera's with a cheaper price tag.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 983
    3Jane
    edited March 20
    No Rift-S for me!
    RedRizla said:
    Techy111 said:
    It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.

What would you jump ship to if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I don't think there's a better alternative for the price. Eventually the Vive pro will be redundant because Valve will also start using inside out tracking. The HP Reverb is the only other I can see, but it uses only 2 camera's for tracking, unlike Rift -S five camera's with a cheaper price tag.
    Some of us mostly play seated games so the 2 sensors is not a big deal. Yea it is terrible for games like beat saber/super active games but I still got a CV1 for that. Not like it's a very graphical game anyway and hopefully the Quest can play it proficiently enough. The big thing for me personally is when Ampere cards are going to release. I'm probably on hold until those come out unless my 1080 can power something like the HP enough. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,307 Volunteer Moderator
    No Rift-S for me!
    Yup sims all the way for me @RedRizla I have the 2080ti and yearn for better resolution for those pesky dials in my cockpit. I'll await reviews but the reverb is tickling my fancy.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,522 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Yes, sign me up!
    @Techy111 - Yes for Sims and with a card like yours, I did mention in another thread that HP Reverb would tick all the boxes. But for people new to PC -VR and who want the whole VR experience, then I don't think you can beat Rift -S.

You just have to consider if paying $600 just to play sims is worth it in the end I guess. That's if you are a new comer without a CV1 already.