cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

Anonymous
Not applicable
Frankly, I have no idea.
On some points, it sounds like an upgrade. Having the Go visuals is great.
But on others, it sounds like a downgrade. An LCD screen...? Really? I heard the black levels shouldn't be that horrible, but still.
I'm not fond of the Go-style audio system as well, but since we can use our own headphones instead, it shouldn't be an issue for me as long as I can use my wireless headphones with it.

I'll try it whenever I can and that will make me decide, but for now I'd rather buy the Quest so that I get a headset from that "line of product" (i.e standalone VR) and wait for Rift 2 to upgrade on the PCVR side.

I love that the requirements are the same as the Rift though. And the price is great as well.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'm still in love with my CV1, my backlog is full, no need to get a new HMD where the pros may be balanced by the cons (trade-offs and limitations). No plans to jump ship  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Epona0000
Protege
I probably will.. I'm an easy sell for new tech. fortunately the newer tech is less expensive than new tech used to be (my first 50" plasma was, I think, around 7k)... but i'd really love the digital screen (no screen-dooring) and eye tracking... so.. maybe i'll wait..

Congratulations
Adventurer
I’ll wait to OC6, and see if they are working on gen 2?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I'm concerned about the lack of physical IPD adjustment, and Nate's comments in the Tested interview confirm that it will not work for as broad a range of people as the CV1. I'm also disappointed in the modest resolution bump--1600p would have made it much more tempting. I do like the sound of the new passthrough mode, though.

I'm going to wait and see. My three-year-old CV1 continues to serve me well, and I don't have any USB or sensor issues with my current setup. Not a lot of compelling reasons to switch over immediately.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Kayos
Protege
Looks like HP Reverb is the way to go now.

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
The inside-out tracking is the game changer for me. For me, getting rid of the sensor placement and USB problems associated with my room scale setup are reason enough to "upgrade" to the S.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
I really love my CV1, my 3 sensors tracking is almost perfect, so unless my Rift dies, I will wait for a real next-gen HMD, even if it's 2021 or 2022.
But I may buy a Quest for my friends when they come home, to show them what they CAN buy and use too, without having a high end rig.
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup