New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

CyionCyion Posts: 13
NerveGear
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion

Comments

• MJGalloMJGallo Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    I love my Rift and I really wanted to get an upgrade...

Unfortunately I will be sitting out of this product cycle and start looking at the others SO+, Vive Pro or even the HP.. 

If they’re listening..  it’s not too late..  a proper screen/resolution upgrade, fix the IPD issue and possible FOV increases can really turn this around..If it costs more, so be it.  That’s why we use PC for VR.

the hands on reviews will have to be amazing for me to reconsider...

• SpyrdeSpyrde Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well the rumors about this product prepared me for a disappointment. I kinda understood Oculus Go and Quest since they are cheaper and can be used with out a pc but Rift S specs are not good. It should be superior in every way than the 3 year old rift but now it only has slightly higher resolution, worse tracking and lower refresh rate.

Rift user since dk2, unless I hear something about Rift 2 soon (with actually worth while specs), I have to start seriously looking for alternatives.

2019 Rift 2 Christmas? Just tell me if there is no Rift 2 coming in the near future so I can start looking elsewhere for a company that sells to the hardcore pc audience.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 462
    Trinity
    edited March 20
    Rumors were this wasn't an upgrade (this is not Rift 2), but a replacement/side grade for the existing Rift manufacturing (Hence, Rift-S). Some of the reviews now coming out confirm this via Oculus themselves; that Rift-S is side grade and not a true successor to Rift (not Rift 2).

So if you didn't already own a PCVR headset, then Rift-S would be an option for you. 

IMO, they're probably including Insight now in Rift-S, as the next Rift (Rift 2.0) will probably include Insight.  So mind as well get it out now so you can improve it before Rift 2 launches.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 247
    Nexus 6
    IF S could be used with external cameras and the og Rifts controllers, i would consider ordering the S-HMD only. But as a whole system replacing the old Rift? Not a chance! 20% better resolution (even wit better fressnels) is not enough to replace older Rift especially when it's said that the IPD area is narrower. Which most propably in my case means that i wouldn't get IPD right. 

Back to the "waiting for Rift 2"-train.
    [email protected], ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • DWinner9971DWinner9971 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I'll copy my post from the Oculus at GDC thread...
    Well add me to the disappointed list concerning the Rift S! I kind of expected to be disappointed based on the rumors of it having inside-out tracking and not being the full Rift 2, but...
    A single panel?!
    No physical/real IPD adjustment (due to the single panel)?!
    A very marginal increase in resolution?!
    No sensor/camera capable of tracking behind the head/back for experiences such as Lone Echo and so many others?!
    Replacing the great onboard headphones with in-strap pipe audio?!
    Honestly, there are just too many questionable decisions that were made with this product.

WHY did Oculus work with Lenovo (a company that has only ever released one of the least impressive WMR HMDs) instead of simply releasing the equivalent of their Quest HMD without the onboard SOC?!!! THAT would have HAD to have allowed for a price point below the $400 Quest, right? I mean, the same thing WITHOUT the SOC...?!
    If they were concerned it needed another sensor/camera, then what would have been wrong with keeping it the same as the Quest, without the SOC, and adding an additional camera/sensor for a marginal increase in price?

I've loved my Rift. The first thing I would have wanted to change would be to have higher resolution panels.
    The last thing I would have done/hoped for would be a move to a single panel without the option for proper IPD adjustment ...or the move from OLED to LCD ...or the removal of the headphones.

Oculus, if you believe inside-out tracking is the future, then accept that it must truly match the performance of outside-in before releasing your next HMD. The lack of behind the head/back tracking will not be acceptable moving forward.
    I never expected to say this, but if I was going to purchase a new HMD this year, then it might be the one from ...HP!?!?
    I'm sorry, but the fact that HP's looks more appealing to me than what Oculus just announced actually blows my mind. Granted, the two-camera/sensor tracking would definitely be worse.

Rift 2 needs these things:
    -MUCH higher resolution - matching or hopefully beating the newly-announced panels in the HP Reverb.
    -Eye-tracked foveated rendering to enable decent performance with the MUCH higher resolution panels. (I honestly couldn't care less about people knowing where my eyes are looking, but devs could use it for that too)
    -Either a) Continued use of outside-in tracking OR b) inside-out tracking with no compromises that leave behind the back/head out of bounds.
    -Keeping onboard, high-quality headphones (NOT the inferior in-strap approach).
    -Increased FOV of at least 130 degrees, but preferably larger.
    -Throw in varifocal lenses if you want, but that isn't necessary if you're too hung up on product cost for mass adoption.
  • adriannachosadriannachos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    I don't have a VR ready PC but I was thinking of buying something like the Rift S in the future. Until I heard it uses LCD like the Go instead of OLED.....
  • pdhannemanpdhanneman Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I'm not going to jump on this Bitch-Band Wagon just yet.  However I will say I'm a bit concerned about the tracking.  What I think is a bit near sighted is not allowing the sensors to work with the S.  I'm hoping this is just temporary, and eventually Oculus will allow an optional senor plug-in, like the 3rd Sensor option Rift eventually allowed.
    i7-8700K 3.7GHz Processor | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX WHITE RGB Liquid Cooler | ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA Motherboard | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB  DDR4-3200 Memory | FireCuda 2TB 7200RPM Hybrid HD | Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD | Barracuda 4TB 7200RPM HD | WD Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 SSD | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card | Thermaltake - The Tower 900 Snow Edition Full Tower Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W Power Supply | Two Divorces | One Bad Ass Credit Card Bill
  • KingDGBKingDGB Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    Disappointed. As I’ve said in other threads. My IPD is wider than CV1 can go, so this probably wouldn’t work for me anyway. Really don’t like this product, and don’t like the idea of Quest. Debating getting Vive Pro Eye upon release. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,193
    Wintermute
    Only if my Rift stopped working, would I consider an "S". I would consider it for a couple of seconds and then buy a Quest to use while waiting for CV2.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    NerveGear
    Wmacky said:
    As a rift owner and a backer of the Pimax 5K+ that was beat up badly, and ganged up on this forum and belittled by Zenbain then told that waiting for the new rift was the only true path, I would just like to say

I’ve noticed some of these active contributors aren’t very nice or accommodating.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    I'm not going to jump on this Bitch-Band Wagon just yet.  However I will say I'm a bit concerned about the tracking.  What I think is a bit near sighted is not allowing the sensors to work with the S.  I'm hoping this is just temporary, and eventually Oculus will allow an optional senor plug-in, like the 3rd Sensor option Rift eventually allowed.

The controllers can still use outside in tracking so it would just be a case of Oculus keeping this in their software. Granted it would only track the controllers and not the Rift -S headset, but the controllers are really all that needs tracking when it comes to hands behind your back. Nate Mitchell said he would wait to see people's opinion on this, so all is not lost yet regarding outside in tracking.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,572 Valuable Player
    KingDGB said:
    I’ve noticed some of these active contributors aren’t very nice or accommodating.
    Not a fair assessment considering that you just joined recently and your post history is almost 100% voicing your displeasure with Oculus. I don't recall having any conversations with you yet, but your comment just now only reinforces the negative intentions you've had since joining. If you want nice and accommodating then try setting a different tone. It's a community of regular people, afterall.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    KingDGB said:
    Not a fair assessment considering that you just joined recently and your post history is almost 100% voicing your displeasure with Oculus. I don't recall having any conversations with you yet, but your comment just now only reinforces the negative intentions you've had since joining. If you want nice and accommodating then try setting a different tone. It's a community of regular people, afterall.
    That’s not true. I’ve asked some things about oculus and I’ve complained about oculus S, which is totally within my right. I’m not going to argue with you about that, it’s my opinion and it’s valid. Here you are proving my point.

I have read posts here for quite awhile. Almost every post I’ve seen you personally in is heavily argumentative, but I wasn’t actually referring to you. I don’t have negative intentions, my opinions on some Oculus things have been negative.

Ive had 0 conversations with you, but you I don’t find you to be helpful honestly so I don’t think I will be.

I don’t mean to attack you, but considering I’m not allowed to voice a clear opinion without dissent. I find it rather interesting that Since you’ve joined you have 13,000 posts. Which is over 11 per day, seems excessive to me. Maybe a break would help your tone.
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    KingDGB said:
    Not to mention, I wasn’t referring to my personal conversations, rather how others have been treated with valid questions.

The irony is that I said that in a post complaining about you bullying people.
  • WmackyWmacky Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    edited March 20
    Zenbane said:
    Wmacky said:
    As a rift owner and a backer of the Pimax 5K+ that was beat up badly, and ganged up on this forum and belittled by Zenbain then told that waiting for the new rift was the only true path, I would just like to say

Pimax is still a failed product in comparison, and Oculus developer info leaks talk of a new Rift CV2 being released next year that will be true Next Gen PCVR. The Rift-S is a refresh obviously, and so the truth path is still... just wait longer. Hell, even Pimax backers are still waiting today (literally) for their product to become market-ready. HTC Vive owners are still waiting for finger tracking. WMR owners are still waiting for true 360 degree room-scale with full hand-tracking.

Everyone is waiting.
       Failed product?  Haha

I just got finished doing a few laps in a formula 1 car using the 5K+ and my DIY full motion cockpit. Crisp view, and nice wide FOV to spot passing cars coming up from the rear.  Seems to work OK to me!

Granted this isn't a good product for poor people with less than TOTL computers. Anyway, enjoy your 3 year old product.
    Well this thread began with the right intentions and was very constructive. I entered the thread to voice my opinion about the need for integration with external sensors, but before I could type anything I could see that @Wmacky already posted with a purely personal and unconstructive post, and @KingDGB is not only upvoting the immature comment, but also taking part in the action of referencing people instead of the topic. This thread will likely end up locked thanks to these two taking it downhill so quickly. Such a shame.

Wmacky said:
    Failed product?  Haha

Yes, a purely failed product. I've stayed on top of the honest reviews about it. Even the official Pimax forum has only 28% of owners recommending the product.

I just got finished doing a few laps in a formula 1 car using the 5K+ and my DIY full motion cockpit. Crisp view, and nice wide FOV to spot passing cars coming up from the rear.  Seems to work OK to me!

If I had spent all that money, waited all that time, and talked it up so much... then yeah, I would probably do everything I could in order to salvage the situation as well. There are a few who try to make it seem like it was money well spent lol

Granted this isn't a good product for poor people with less than TOTL computers. Anyway, enjoy your 3 year old product.

Your product is 2 years old, and is still incomplete. Pot/Kettle much?

edited March 20
    KingDGB said:
    Zenbane said:
    KingDGB said:
    That’s not true. I’ve asked some things about oculus and I’ve complained about oculus S, which is totally within my right. I’m not going to argue with you about that, it’s my opinion and it’s valid. Here you are proving my point.

You turned a topic that is about the Rift-S in to your personal diatribe about how you have been treated. I haven't proven your point, I have just exposed your terrible double-standard. You seem to believe that you can be negative yet everyone else is supposed to walk on egg shells. Yes your opinion is valid "to you," and everyone else's opinion is valid to them as well. If you want people to act nicer then set a better tone. You are nearly 100% negative since arrival. And your attempt to derail this thread proves it.
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    KingDGB said:

How about this, we agree to drop it. I agree to continually voice my opinion, but try to be “less negative”. You agree to chill out alittle without attacking every point of someone’s post and maybe be alittle nicer yourself. After all you did get the previous post I tried to comment on locked because people were being toxic in your opinion.

Honestly, my opinion right now is negative on the subject, sorry I can’t help that. I feel like this S release is not in my interest, and I wanted to come to the forums, find like minded people, and voice our collective disinterest. If you don’t agree that’s fine, my point was merely that a lot of people have been condescending in my opinion.
    KingDGB said:
    Honestly, my opinion right now is negative on the subject, sorry I can’t help that. I feel like this S release is not in my interest, and I wanted to come to the forums, find like minded people, and voice our collective disinterest. If you don’t agree that’s fine, my point was merely that a lot of people have been condescending in my opinion.
    My opinion does not speak highly of Rift-S. I have voiced it plenty in 2 other threads. I don't recall having an encounter with you until now, and I'm merely pointing out the futility for you to chastise others for not being as nice as you need them to be considering that you tend to be mostly negative while also partaking in a topic derail.

I have no comment on your opinion about Rift-S. Right now everyone everywhere has something to say about it, good and bad. But if you want to join Wmacky in dropping the conversation down to an immature level, then that's a different story.
    ;)
    NerveGear
    Well, I tried to level with ya man. Tried to talk about Rift S I made that comment with true intentions, still feel that way now. Take it easy.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Sure are a lot of brand-new forum members showing up just to make "disappointment" threads, aren't there?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    I voiced my displeasure in the other thread ad nauseam and not sure I want to keep beating a dead horse as I moved on already but I will do a quick summation for compilation purposes. 

I think most of the dissatisfaction of myself and others seems to be that there was a big disconnect between what Oculus intended for the S and what everyone expected. It seems to me that the S is simply Oculus wanting to replace the CV1 with a cheaper model. Almost everything about it screams cost reduction to me and it looks more like a Lenovo explorer WMR headset with extra cameras than a premium Oculus product. Then, despite it looking cheaper, it is actually a 50 buck increase in price over the CV1 at $399. I would assume this is simply an early adopters tax to get some extra cash from all the faithful who do upgrade. I look for it to come down to $299 and will make more sense. Then you have the Quest sitting there, which if you analyze the components of it, seems to be much more than 399 bucks asking price and seems to be a much better value. It's kind of a tough pill to swallow for people who have been waiting for 3 years for a true Rift upgrade. This is more of an upgrade at the cost of other features. 
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    That S is a piece of shit to me. It has the worst specs that can be made on a vr headset:

- tracking inside-out (lower quality than IR or laser stations and impossible to use in dark)
    - no physical ipd adjustment + fresnel lenses = can't be used if your ipd is over 70 or under 60
    - psvr strap = light bleed

And that screen... omg, was Carmack under cocaine these months?
  • NeawoulfNeawoulf Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was really looking forward to the Rift S, but now that i know the specs i don't really see how this is an upgrade for my CV1. Slightly higher resolution is nice, FOV is basically the same, not sure about that single lcd display and no ipd adjustment (my ipd is about 56 or 57 mm).

Oculus was the company that started the vr hype and now, years after the CV1 came out, they give us a headset that is barely any improvement at all. I don't understand this.

What's nice about the Rift S? It's relatively cheap, but that's it. I'd rather pay a hundered Euros more for a better display. Maybe we'll see a Rift S Pro in a few months with a better display? I hope so. From the software perspective (ASW etc.) i really like Oculus VR, but this new piece of hardware is a bit of a disappointment from my perspective. I might buy an HP Reverb instead if it supports my relatively low ipd value.
    Without sausage everything is cheese
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    korgen63 said:
    That S is a piece of shit to me. It has the worst specs that can be made on a vr headset:

- tracking inside-out (lower quality than IR or laser stations and impossible to use in dark)
    - no physical ipd adjustment + fresnel lenses = can't be used if your ipd is over 70 or under 60
    - psvr strap = light bleed

And that screen... omg, was Carmack under cocaine these months?

Here's something from another thread just so that people know Oculus do listen. I also was guilty of thinking they ignore their customers in one of my post.