New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

1234568»

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,038 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Dooguk said:
    You are obviously very average, ;)

Best. GIF. Evar. lol  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    edited March 28
    The Rift S was not meant as an upgrade for current Rift users, this is clear - however I would have WISHED if Oculus had thrown us existing Rift user a bone, that is a SLIGHTLY (!) improved Rift (which addressed the current flaws, eg. optics) at a REASONABLE price.
    €449 (or more likely even €499) is a ridiculous price for current Rift users who thought they may possibly get an affordable slight upgrade that could tie them over until a possible CV2.
    For me, the omitting of the good Rift CV1 headphones and the price are the biggest show-stoppers.
    * That being said, I think the inside-out tracking MAY WELL be good and should cover 99% of scenarios, without the annoying and always flakey USB sensors. (The USB had always been a cause for all sorts of issues, it's just not 100% reliable. And so was OLED and the problems with blacks, black smear, SPUD etc..
    As said, I think LCD and inside-out are good, I would have totally gotten this if it was reasonably priced and with the existing CV1 headphones. Even if I had a way to get a Rift S for €199 (which for me would be the only acceptable price as a an "upgrade" to a flawed Rift, even then I would only get it if I would manage to connect the CV1 headphones to it).
    For "VR newcomers" (people who never had a Rift before) then again S looks more reasonable, but I still think it is priced a tad too high.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 28
    @flexy123 - I think it's worth more then £199 LoL. Maybe £350 would have being good, but their not going to sell this for £199 that's for sure.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,038 Valuable Player
    199 quid lmfao  :D :D :D

Please tell me that isn't a serious post lololol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ksnksn Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Likely not getting Rift S. It's not the next generation Rift. I can't describe what is that. A bit increase resolution and better lenses are only advantage over CV1. All other features... seems to be disadvantage o_O
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,231
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    Do all the people on these forums that know their IPD wear glasses? I was just wondering because I don't know my IPD but I don't wear glasses so maybe that's why. 

I currently own Oculus GO though and I don't feel any discomfort compared to my Rift which is also perfect but obviously has the IPD slider. So I'm guessing my IPD must be in the majority range of 65. Although I do have a big head! lol

I'm not sure it has anything to do with having a large head, it's more to do with how far apart your eyes are. I think having a large head would just give you an Oculus face. 

LOL I've apparently got a huge head with little eyes...think beetlejuice but in reverse lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhYidRnUYAAy2AN.jpg
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • Darkon152Darkon152 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 4
    It really is very simple.  I'll never buy a Rift S.  I bought the final iteration of the regular Rift and even shelled out for a third sensor.  Had a real blast putting all that stuff up on the walls, but in the end, the tracking was worth it.  I know my IPD of 72ish isn't optimal, but at least on my basic Rift I can manage with it.  Not possible so I've been reading for the Rift S.  Three things.  It's what people deserve even if it costs just a bit more.  Better inside out tracking (I'm sure it's good, but I'm guessing it's not as good as wall mounted sensors.)  Wider field of view.  This is VR, not tiny window R.  Finally, stop being lame and either increase the IPD range or allow two different models for two separate ranges.  People are always saying, "Well, if they make it for people with high (or low) IPD they will lose money on it.  I don't think this is a problem.  Rather, split the average down the middle and make the two models from there.  No muss no fuss.
         If you don't do any of the above, I'm sorry.  The IPD is the real killer for me.  Was hoping for a slightly better and affordable VR experience that actually took into consideration, of all things, IPD.  Instead, all I see is a company that is willing to leave out large chunks of the population for a dime.  It's the first time I've ever thought to myself, I can't wait to see what Sony does with the PSVR2.  I'm pretty sure they won't disappoint...and will be an actual upgrade.
  • FangzhouFangzhou Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    edited July 26
    Update:
    Latest 1.39 PTC 3rd update fixed static flash. Finally.
    New bug: 
    1. Microphone noise, which makes VRChat almost not playable. Once it happens once, it will happen every few seconds until I restart my computer. After restarting computer, still got possibility to get microphone noise problem. 
    2.  Black screen.
    3. Controller drifting.
    Rift S is so buggy, I have to send full logs and bug reports everyday since it get problems everyday. 
    How should Oculus release such a buggy toy?

I have both CV1 and Rift S. Rift S is downgrade from CV1 from anyways: 
    1. HMD tracking is worse than all the OG VR headsets. Rift S cannot handle fast/sudden movement, the HMD image shakes when you try to reach a block in Beat Saber or dancing in VRChat. This makes Rift S the only headset that causing dizzy. None of OG WMR/CV1/Vive/PSVR have this issue. 
    2. Audio is a total downgrade, no need explain. 
    3. Static flash that all Rift S user experienced. None of OG or current generation VR headsets have this kind of issue (which is a must-fix before releasing). 
    4. Microphone is a downgrade from CV1. Actually CV1 microphone quality is very good. After using Rift S, my friends in VRChat thought I was using a cheap voice changer. The voice from Rift S is robotic and contains noises. 
    5. Oculus VR random crashes, black screen, etc. I have experienced at least 5 times crashing after 1 week usage of Rift S. It requires a restart of computer to fix. 
    6. Touch controller uses cheaper material. You can feel the difference once you use the controller. All the keys/triggers are not as sensitive as the OG touch controller. Even the plastic that new Touch controller use feels cheaper than OG touch controller. 

IPD is not a problem for me, hand controller tracking is as good as OG CV1 after 1.39 patch. However the HMD tracking problem and microphone quality is really disappointing me. The Rift S is more like a beta version "cost saver" headset for Oculus, with a combination of all cheap parts.  
  • BartDMBartDM Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited July 8
    send mine back to shop today. i could live with the crappy sound, microphone and build quality+ white flashes and the cheap and fragile feeling controllers but the real deal breaker was fine tracking. rough tracking like beat saber its fine but fine tracking is really bad.

it's especially noticeable when you throw stuff and the thing u try to throw just sticks to your hand and gets thrown right into the ground. or in medium when u try to sculpt from up close and the whole things just hangs for a second constantly. or when u try to draw stuff in quill and u get like a 3 inch line added to it because the controller didn't pick up yet it had to stop.

I'm kinda sad about it that tho it was such a let down because i really liked the screen and the comfort of the headset it self but bad fine tracking is a real deal breaker for me.

Gaming Rig

Skylake 6700k ~ 4,7Ghz
    Asus Pro gaming board Z170
    32GB DDR4 @ 2800Hz Kingston Savage C15
    1 x SSD Samung Pro950 @ 512GB
    2 x SSD Samsung EVO 1TB @ RAID-0
    2 x GTX 980Ti SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming OC'd
    Cooler Master V1000 PSU
  • Max_ImmelmamnnMax_Immelmamnn Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    so i saw this thread just after posting my disappointment thread.  my experience was a bit different, but just as aggravating. 

out of the box, my rift-s encountered problems.  1st, i could not look over my right shoulder.  if i did, my left hand lost tracking and would fly behind my back, or spin in circles.  i can look over left shoulder, no problems.

then i started getting "lightning flashes" in my head set.  very annoying when in the middle of competitive play.

both problems became more sever.  started hitting up the online trouble shooting guides.  what i found there, and here, is that these problems are running rampant within this community.  unfortunately, these problems became worse till at the 62hr mark, my oculus rift-s video completely failed.  i took the unit off, took a 30 minute break.  came back, no video.  nothing.  blackness.  my rift-s's mail is now being forwarded to Kingdom Come.

so i send in a ticket to oculus requesting a replacement unit.  it has been a week now since then, and i am STILL sitting here with $100 in VR software i can not use.  a brand spankin' new gaming rig with VR only gaming software.  AND!!!......a $450 plastic hat!   ::shakes head in disbelief::

i originally had asked for a replacement unit.  NOW.......i want my money back.

gonna go buy a vive like i should have from the start.  would not have all the software, but at least i would have a VR set.

on a side note, my buddy who bought a vive, and told me NOT TO BUY THE RIFT-S, got her faulty unit replace after a month of use, IN THREE [email protected]%&ING DAYS!!!!! of notifying HTC unit was faulty.

smacks oculus CEO on the nose with rolled up newspaper..........."BAD!!"
  • UserbananaUserbanana Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    CV1 will be probably my last Rift. Pitty. And also I will not recommed to anyone devices without mechanic ipd slider. It is a no-no, face it facebok, those are my eyes you wana scr*. 
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 554
    Neo
    flexy123 said:
    The Rift S was not meant as an upgrade for current Rift users, this is clear - however I would have WISHED if Oculus had thrown us existing Rift user a bone, that is a SLIGHTLY (!) improved Rift (which addressed the current flaws, eg. optics) at a REASONABLE price.
    €449 (or more likely even €499) is a ridiculous price for current Rift users who thought they may possibly get an affordable slight upgrade that could tie them over until a possible CV2.
    For me, the omitting of the good Rift CV1 headphones and the price are the biggest show-stoppers.
    * That being said, I think the inside-out tracking MAY WELL be good and should cover 99% of scenarios, without the annoying and always flakey USB sensors. (The USB had always been a cause for all sorts of issues, it's just not 100% reliable. And so was OLED and the problems with blacks, black smear, SPUD etc..
    As said, I think LCD and inside-out are good, I would have totally gotten this if it was reasonably priced and with the existing CV1 headphones. Even if I had a way to get a Rift S for €199 (which for me would be the only acceptable price as a an "upgrade" to a flawed Rift, even then I would only get it if I would manage to connect the CV1 headphones to it).
    For "VR newcomers" (people who never had a Rift before) then again S looks more reasonable, but I still think it is priced a tad too high.
    I would take a S at £200 in a heart beat simply to replace my WMR headset, but like the WMR i would only use it for sitting down VR like ED, Dirt rally, Stern VR pinball, FX2VR PB, Bridge crew, and so on, and my CV1 would continue to be my go to roomscale perfect tracking VR setup......so basically i would be will to pay £200 to lose 200x200 per eye in screen res, but gain a larger focal sweetspot that the S has over the first gen WMR headsets, plus godbye to the horrible WMR BT controllers....so do you want my money Oculus, £200...go on, you know you want to. lol
  • psugruepsugrue Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Wow I wonder if Oculus is reading any of this. They really dropped the ball. Its amazing how huge corporations can make such bad moves. This is what happens when you don't listen to your customers. No wonder their top guy bailed. I wonder what headset he uses?
  • GunnyNinjaGunnyNinja Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I said I would never buy a Rift S. I was disappointed at the changes. I ended up buying one. I was wrong. And right.
    • Didn't like the halo design because of how my Odyssey felt. Amazing how comfortable they made this one. 
    • Didn't like that it had no built in headphones. I have a 3D printer and found a pair that would adapt nicely.
    • Didn't think that the modest resolution increase would be noticeable since I wasn't really impressed with the higher resolution Odyssey. Looks better than the Odyssey( and Odyssey Plus).
    • Didn't like that it has no mechanical IPD adjustment. STILL don't like that it has no mechanical IPD adjustment. Mine is 72. The max of the software setting. 
    The whole time I felt like I was wearing someone else's glasses. Blurred image. Of all of the reasons I didn't want to buy the Rift S, only one made me return it. Also the FOV "seemed" smaller than the CV1. I really felt the scuba mask effect more in this one, but if I could have had a clear image, I'd gladly be in it now instead of here. The sad thing is, now I have seen the improvement, I can't enjoy my CV1, and Oculus has no solution for me. Can the cost savings of leaving that adjustment out, outweigh the loss in sales? 
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    I picked up my Rift S on Friday. I am trying..... but so many issues compared to my CV1. I definitely noticed the downgrade in FOV. Haven't really seen much of a benefit in the improved resolution, noticing lost of tracking with the controllers, and issues with the HMD tracking (already had to redo the guardian setup a few times especially as I transition between night and day). Not to mention so many crashes with Oculus home and the Rift S. I knew I was going to regret this purchase and sadly I do.

Thankfully I still have my CV1 hooked up and Oculus has given us an option to set whichever as active.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,711 Valuable Player
    psugrue said:
    Wow I wonder if Oculus is reading any of this. They really dropped the ball. Its amazing how huge corporations can make such bad moves. This is what happens when you don't listen to your customers. No wonder their top guy bailed. I wonder what headset he uses?
    Likely more a result of Oculus handing much if not most of the headset over to Lenovo to do. Remember all the talk of the release was on Quest, it wasn't until about 4 weeks prior to release we found out they would also be releasing a Rift S at the same time. It obviously did not go through enough QA prior to releasing it which I am sure now Oculus regrets.

In my case, after they have now fixed the white static flashes in the PTC, I am golden. I use it daily and am loving it.
    But yeah, they kind of gave themselves a black eye on this one. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 451
    Trinity

msm903 said:
    I picked up my Rift S on Friday. I am trying..... but so many issues compared to my CV1. I definitely noticed the downgrade in FOV. Haven't really seen much of a benefit in the improved resolution, noticing lost of tracking with the controllers, and issues with the HMD tracking (already had to redo the guardian setup a few times especially as I transition between night and day). Not to mention so many crashes with Oculus home and the Rift S. I knew I was going to regret this purchase and sadly I do.

Thankfully I still have my CV1 hooked up and Oculus has given us an option to set whichever as active.
    Be sure you use the Eye Relief button located on the underside of the headset. It brings the screen closer to your face (thus increases fov)
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • reb1rthreb1rth Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited August 1
    My beef with the Rift-S.
    I have big hands.  If I have to swing something I obviously have to grip the controllers.  I have to do this with my pinky fingers (to avoid the grip button) which overlap the controller, forcing my hands into an uncomfortable position which leads to discomfort and pain quite quickly.  Somebody needs to make an extender.  The only addon accessories I can find are silicon covers.

Other than that, I am happy with my purchase.