New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

DilipDilip Posts: 235
Nexus 6
edited March 21 in General
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
«13456712

Comments

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. Not a viable option for me since I need the full 360 spectrum. Guess I will be waiting til next year's Rift CV2. FML
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. 
    Isn't it unfair to declare without testing both side by side ...
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,770 Valuable Player
    I just want to play Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath and Stormland - which HMD should I choose?

     :D 

    Dead Citadel would be my most solid argument for the Reverb - but in that game I got weapons on my back... 

    "Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games" - man, what a great slogan I just made up there!  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    Dilip said:
    Zenbane said:
    The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. 
    Isn't it unfair to declare without testing both side by side ...

    We have received 100% confirmation about the tracking downgrade from first-hand reviewers and Nate Mitchell himself. If a car maker tells me that there's no rearview mirror in a vehicle, I don't need to drive it myself to understand what that means.

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    edited March 21
    "Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games"
    isn't where anomaly or malfunction begin with...games should be independent of device supporting all devices in ideal world...
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    Dilip said:
    Zenbane said:
    The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. 
    Isn't it unfair to declare without testing both side by side ...

    We have received 100% confirmation about the tracking downgrade from first-hand reviewers and Nate Mitchell himself. If a car maker tells me that there's no rearview mirror in a vehicle, I don't need to drive it myself to understand what that means.

    Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,522 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. Not a viable option for me since I need the full 360 spectrum. Guess I will be waiting til next year's Rift CV2. FML

    So you aren't even buying an Oculus Quest?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,770 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Dilip said:
    "Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games"
    isn't where anomaly or malfunction begin with...games should be independent of device supporting all devices in ideal world...

    Maybe - in the old days I spent a lot of money upgrading for upcoming games that then got postponed several GPU generations. My lesson learned was to wait for the games you really want to experience and then find out if you needed to upgrade anything and what the best upgrade would be. 

    I bought the Rift to play Lone Echo, I didn't buy the Rift because I just love testing new hardware and the stumbled across Lone Echo.

    All my current games work great/flawlessly on the CV1, I think I'll wait and see what happens when games arrive I'm really looking forward to play. Waiting for faster and cheaper GPUs may also be beneficial. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    Dilip said:
    Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda
    Well that analogy doesn't fit because Nate works for Oculus and helped create Rift-S. So that is an employee of Toyota talking about a Toyota vehicle.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Dilip said:
    Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda
    Well that analogy doesn't fit because Nate works for Oculus and helped create Rift-S. So that is an employee of Toyota talking about a Toyota vehicle.
    I thought you refer Nate's comment as "HP" downgraded their tracking...
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S.

    Well that analogy doesn't fit because Nate works for Oculus and helped create Rift-S. So that is an employee of Toyota talking about a Toyota vehicle.


    I interpret this as HP Reverb has worse tracking than both Quest and Rift S 
    Isn't it what you said.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:
    Waiting for faster and cheaper GPUs may also be beneficial. 
    Is in fact a best policy .. upgrading GPU over 2+ generation gives boost that you would really notice as mostly single generation upgrade adds nothing but refinement and renaming... It also matter how hard your earned money is and how much you appreciate them while spending.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    edited March 21
    RIFT S was kept under powered to not to steal show from Quest, is my strong feeling too..come on FB can and surely deliver HI Res OLED Twin Displays as this price point ($400).
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    Dilip said:
    I interpret this as HP Reverb has worse tracking than both Quest and Rift S 
    Isn't it what you said.

    Nate (Toyota) said that Rift-S has behind-the-back tracking issues. And HP (Honda) has said that Reverb is using 2-front facing cameras.

    Do you get it now?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    So HP is inferior in tracking to RIFT S for not having top camera too..
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    Dilip said:
    So HP is inferior in tracking to RIFT S for not having top camera too..

    HP has 2 front-facing Cameras. Quest has 4 cameras. Rift-S has 5 cameras.

    It's not just the "top camera" that HP is missing when compared to Quest and Rift-S.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 983
    3Jane
    edited March 21
    Yea the HP tracking is going to be way worse than the Quest or RiftS. It's the same as an Odyssey+ which also has a bluetooth dongle in the headset. When you are in the cameras view the tracking is great,,, but there's a lot of blind spots. Even with teh Rift-S having 5 cameras there will be some blindspots but a lot less than the WMR 2 camera system.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    1. Why Didn't Oculus just add Virtual Link Controller board to Oculus Quest  it would have been all in one that RIFT S could never be.. is what i also think???
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,708 Valuable Player
    Dilip said:
    Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
    my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
    switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
    I'm interested in the HP Reverb, but only for Flight sims like DCS World due to the tracking.  I'd keep my CV1 and play the regular games on it, but use the HP for Flight or Racing sims.  Since that's the case and it will no doubt also require a GPU upgrade, I won't be buying one anytime soon if ever at all.

  • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    Yep the HP looks good. I only do Sims so it looks like the perfect option for me now. 

    After 3 years of love my Rift is now going on Ebay....so sad feels like im selling the family cat... or even worse.... 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
    TC1999 said:
    After 3 years of love my Rift is now going on Ebay....so sad feels like im selling the family cat... or even worse.... 
    Pfft, lost for words...


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    TC1999 said:
    Yep the HP looks good. I only do Sims so it looks like the perfect option for me now. 

    After 3 years of love my Rift is now going on Ebay....so sad feels like im selling the family cat... or even worse.... 
    Yep same reason and plan for me.
    Cept I will keep the CV1 for the occasional foray into some Touch games.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,013 Volunteer Moderator
    If somebody buys me a Rift-S, I can map out the actual visibility coverage. :)

    I may take the easy way out, if I can get my work to buy a Rift-S (it suits that environment, frequent setting up and packing up in different locations) then I can try it out as much as I want without paying anything. :)

  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 670
    Neo
    edited March 21
    Dilip said:
    RIFT S was kept under powered to not to steal show from Quest, is my strong feeling too..come on FB can and surely deliver HI Res OLED Twin Displays as this price point ($400).
    I would disagree. I think it was exactly for what Nate claimed. Since it's a replacement for the Rift, they wanted to keep the PC requirements the same as they were for the OG Rift. I think that well see that $400 his res oled in Rift 2 if there ever is such a thing.
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    I currently have a rift and will be buying a Quest.

    So far my next PC HMD will be the HP Reverb if nothing else comes out before hand.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,703 Valuable Player
    jayhawk said:
    Dilip said:
    RIFT S was kept under powered to not to steal show from Quest, is my strong feeling too..come on FB can and surely deliver HI Res OLED Twin Displays as this price point ($400).
    I would disagree. I think it was exactly for what Nate claimed. Since it's a replacement for the Rift, they wanted to keep the PC requirements the same as they were for the OG Rift. I think that well see that $400 his res oled in Rift 2 if there ever is such a thing.
    If there is a rift 2 I damn well hope not! An actual genuine rift 2 needs to be closer to the half dome with 130+ FOV imo and NOT what is in the quest.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,248 Valuable Player
    So the Half-Dome concept was shown working on a prototype working on a mock-up of the CV1 construction using constellation tracking. Following that presentation, a number of the dev team members have left the company including their chief advocate, and the whole design of the CV1 hardware has been retired for a completely new design. So based on that I wonder what the direction will be for the CV2 that some many here thinks will be coming our in 24-months?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    I currently have a rift and will be buying a Quest.

    So far my next PC HMD will be the HP Reverb if nothing else comes out before hand.
    Yeah that is my plan as well. Will keep the Rift for those Rift games I occasionally do.
    I will pick up a Quest for some stand alone games/experiences.
    I will get the HP Reverb for my flight simming which is the bulk of what I do in VR.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,522 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Does anyone have a pic of the coverage you can expect from these 2 camera headsets? I think I'm going to get a HP Reverb. I really wanted the Rift -S to have Oculus Quest screens at least, but I think they've messed up this time around by making their flagship PC-VR headset inferior to Oculus Quest. 

    How bad is this two camera tracking, if you are using it for more then Sims? And how good is it if you are just using it for sims?
«13456712
Sign In or Register to comment.