Other HMD possibilities Thread — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Other HMD possibilities Thread

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,113 Volunteer Moderator
Ok let's get the ball rolling on what our options are for other headsets now or upcoming other then the oculus offerings. Link where possible and opinions of them or predictions. This could be a fun thread for all so keep it civil ;)
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,499 Valuable Player
    Group 1.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,113 Volunteer Moderator
    What's the one at the end Kev ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited March 21
    The concept prototype for the Qualcomm headset - seems to be using the same set up as Pico Neo2, Cosmos and Acer's new unit (4k screen and standalone with tether (USB-C) and 5g wireless). 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Group 2.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Qualcomm link = https://www.pcmag.com/news/367305/qualcomms-concept-vr-headset-can-stream-content-from-a-pc

Sounds very interesting, wirelessly over 5g but I'd expect a higher snapdragon down the line yes ?

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    I'll be interested in seeing what (if anything!) Valve bring to the table but by the time they release the thing (and rumours are flying around that it's been cancelled) the CV4 will be out I expect lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited March 21
    snowdog said:
    I'll be interested in seeing what (if anything!) Valve bring to the table but by the time they release the thing (and rumours are flying around that it's been cancelled) the CV4 will be out I expect lol

Yeah, a certain group of troll posters, with it in for Valve, started the rumour that the recent layoffs were part of the cancellation of the VR project(s), but in a surprise development GabeN himself went on line to comment that this was not the case, and the project is on track! Big surprise, and highly embarrassing for the tolls. Valve has something big, but the NDA's and embargo's are still in place.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Yeah, a certain group of troll posters, with it in for Valve, started the rumour that the recent layoffs were part of the cancellation of the VR project(s), but in a surprise development GabeN himself went on line to comment that this was not the case, and the project is on track! Big surprise, and highly embarrassing for the tolls. Valve has something big, but the NDA's and embargo's are still in place.

GabeN was responding to a question asking whether the games had been canned, he said no. At no point was he asked about the headset or did he confirm anything about the VR headset. For all we know this thing doesn't exist and that leak was just of a photo of an abandoned prototype. If it IS real, we probably won't see it being released for AGES because of Valve Time.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,091 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    GabeN was responding to a question asking whether the games had been canned, he said no. At no point was he asked about the headset or did he confirm anything about the VR headset. For all we know this thing doesn't exist and that leak was just of a photo of an abandoned prototype. If it IS real, we probably won't see it being released for AGES because of Valve Time.

No doubt Gabe was doing damage control with the PR statements. I'm sure they will be continuing with their VR efforts just fine. But it was hilarious seeing Valve getting trolled a bit. Especially considering how often Facebook and Oculus get trolled on a regular basis every time a rumor is leaked or an executive leaves the company.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    snowdog said:
    GabeN was responding to a question asking whether the games had been canned, he said no. At no point was he asked about the headset or did he confirm anything about the VR headset. 

Here is the post from a video of people speaking with GabeN:

That looks pretty definite, though I am sure you can read something else into anything. I will just say that I think the sources spoken with over the last few months make me feel that Valve has a VERY healthy VR project - that the headset for that project may end up being a version of the LG system is hard to say. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Ok let's get the ball rolling on what our options are for other headsets now or upcoming other then the oculus offerings. Link where possible and opinions of them or predictions. This could be a fun thread for all so keep it civil ;)
    Right now for me, nothing.
    Pimax for a bunch of reasons
    Anything windows MR because tracking
    Vive pro - wands and cost

The closest full package for me is still CV1 or RiftS.

Hopes for me (apart from rift s surprising me when i try it)

Valve announce something including knuckles.
    Or
    HTC have massive price cut of vive pro and again bundle with knuckles.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Valve representative Doug Lombardi confirmed to me there would be no VR updates at GDC from Valve but that it remains an area of interest and investment for the company.

“We still see VR as being really important, we still see a lot of people adopting it,” Lombardi said. “In the short term, or the not too distant future, we are going to be talking more about…what’s happening on Steam with VR past, present and future, but it just won’t be happening here at the show.”

https://uploadvr.com/steam-valve-vr-gdc-2019/?fbclid=IwAR32ZROYFgs2xy8-gw7ksB3Hsi0gCWDVSFwOnpBolla5YjZS20baAKjS8z8
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    Group 2.

You missed Google Cardboard!

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    And Nintendo
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    kevinw729 said:

Valve representative Doug Lombardi confirmed to me there would be no VR updates at GDC from Valve but that it remains an area of interest and investment for the company.

“We still see VR as being really important, we still see a lot of people adopting it,” Lombardi said. “In the short term, or the not too distant future, we are going to be talking more about…what’s happening on Steam with VR past, present and future, but it just won’t be happening here at the show.”

https://uploadvr.com/steam-valve-vr-gdc-2019/?fbclid=IwAR32ZROYFgs2xy8-gw7ksB3Hsi0gCWDVSFwOnpBolla5YjZS20baAKjS8z8

Still no official word on an actual headset though. All GabeN said was that it 'was a people thing, not a hardware thing' and the mention of hardware in that response could be the Knuckles controllers rather than an HMD.

I don't have that much faith in Valve when it comes to releasing stuff, I'll only believe that they're working on releasing a HMD when we get official confirmation that it exists, and even then I'll still have my doubts until it's actually released gien their atrocious track record over the years lol

edited March 21
    This thread does a great job of showcasing the pushback consumers are voicing right now over Rift-S. As we can clearly see, there are zero viable options lol

Those headsets are quite depressing. They aren't fit for PCVR enthusiasts. This will just be another year long wait for Rift CV2. Some of those may be good for SIM enthusiasts due to the limited requirements of full 360 room-scale tracking. The rest can be thrown on a kiddie ride at a VR Arcade. But nothing proper for Home PCVR.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    This thread does a great job of showcasing the pushback consumers are voicing right now over Rift-S. As we can clearly see, there are zero viable options lol

Those headsets are quite depressing. They aren't fit for PCVR enthusiasts. This will just be another year long wait for Rift CV2. Some of those may be good for SIM enthusiasts due to the limited requirements of full 360 room-scale tracking. The rest can be thrown on a kiddie ride at a VR Arcade. But nothing proper for Home PCVR.
    Yea  coupling the HP with a Vive tracking system or just going for the Vive Pro are really your only real alternatives if you want a full Rift like experience and you will pay a big premium for them. 

pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:

Yea  coupling the HP with a Vive tracking system or just going for the Vive Pro are really your only real alternatives if you want a full Rift like experience and you will pay a big premium for them. 

And lose finger tracking with hand comfort. FML
    Personally I am on the side of 99 percent seated so am swinging towards the HP offering for flight sims, as for the others, well......

Was hoping some new HMD's might of been discovered and posted here, I for one didn't know about Qualcomm's offering ;)

edited March 21
    If Valve really has a headset in the works, there's no better time to release something than now. There's a huge opportunity for them or someone else to jump in. As much as I find WMR fully playable in 90% or more of my games, it's not Constellation or LIghthouse. 
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    I mean you're right but how many games really even utilize finger tracking enough that it matters. Just a handfull from my experience. Plus there is a finger tracking option for Vive Pro releasing if it's that important. It's gloveless though so you lose haptics. It's not an ideal alternative, but it's an alternative lol. 
    edited March 21
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    I mean you're right but how many games really even utilize finger tracking enough that it matters. Just a handfull from my experience. Plus there is a finger tracking option for Vive Pro releasing if it's that important. It's gloveless though so you lose haptics. It's not an ideal alternative, but it's an alternative lol. 

Each and every Puzzle/Adventure game I play, and every VR RTS, and most VR RPG's. I could write up a list, it's more than half my library. The Unspoken is a great example.
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:

Each and over Puzzle/Adventure game I play, and every VR RTS, and most VR RPG's. I could write up a list, it's more than half my library. The Unspoken is a great example.
    Fair enough, you do play a lot of games that I don't. 
    He's a game monster !!!

pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:

Each and over Puzzle/Adventure game I play, and every VR RTS, and most VR RPG's. I could write up a list, it's more than half my library. The Unspoken is a great example.
    Fair enough, you do play a lot of games that I don't. 

And I'm not just over-hyping hand-controllers for this debate. I wrote lengthy reviews about both The Unspoken and SkyrimVR. I praised the implementation of hand-controllers in The Unspoken, and I complained about the lack of proper finger tracking in SkyrimVR. I even took a screenshot in Skyrim of a weapon that my hands couldn't grab.

During times like this a lot of people complain just for the sake of complaining. Hopefully my lengthy history of writing in-depth reviews helps remind people that I'm not jumping on a band-wagon. I really do have a strong preference towards certain features in VR, and I've openly demonstrated them for the last 3 years.
    :)
    Wasn't trying to imply overhyping, was just generally curious as it hasn't been my experience. Most of the games I tend to gravitate to it's either not included or it's so basic that a simple button mapping covers it.