Why as Rift and Go user, I welcome the S — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why as Rift and Go user, I welcome the S

LollosoLolloso Posts: 55
Hiro Protagonist
Pretty much while I consider the S an iterative approach, kinda like the yearly iphone/android device refresh; I still believe that there is value in getting the S, even if I own the Go and the Rift. I am actually waiting for them to put out the actual "BUY" button, to get my hands on the S.

I had all the oculus models from the dk1; and one consistent pain was the sensor placement. I do not have a living room where I can set up the cameras and be done with it; I have an office with a desk in the middle of the room, it is a weird shaped room and have a good mix between seated experiences and standing up/room scale experiences has been impossible even with 3 sensors.

So I welcome the sensor-less tracking, itself alone is worth the 400 dollars price tag (selling the old oculus may be an option to get something back of course). I can plug one cable, not 5  (3 sensors plus 1 usb for the Rift plus the HDMI), and I am good to go; I can sit at my desk, stand up and go around the room freely, as long as I don't pull the main cable.

And if I want to play in the main room, where I keep another computer; I can do that, just carrying the headset. No need to recailbrate the sensors, no need to move around a bunch of stuff; extension cables and all this mess.

Another great thing for me is the improved lenses and the mask, which I hope is the same as the GO. I have the GO on top of the rift (different device, different usage), and the best part of that device is the mask and lenses. So I welcome the new lenses, the new mask and the higher resolution.

Many did complain about the fact that the S is a side step and not an upgrade; but that is subjective. To me, getting rid of the sensors and have a better clearer experience, is worth the upgrade. And yes, it is 80Hz instead of 90; big deal for some; but not for me. I can handle the Go that is 75HZ so I don't see a problem there.

Was tempted to get the quest, but that is useless for me, since it is a standalone rift without the power of a pc; so it is a Go on steroids; but when I saw the S announcement, I was really happy. I still hope that Oculus will release a 4K headset with improved FOV and tech improvements of course, but I don't mind to wait 2-3 more years for it, if the experience will be incremental from the current one. By that time the Rift will be old enough to justify 800 dollars purchase for a new headset and controllers; although from what I understand, Oculus is not that interested in high end devices at this point, but wants to go for the iterative yearly device way.

Call it "the game-as-service approach" but for hardware. I don't mind...if I like what they make I buy, otherwise I do not buy; it really doesn't change my life or make me loose sleep to be honest :) I welcome good devices that last years; because I feel there is value in long term ownership of a device, but these days, things are different
Tagged:

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,250 Valuable Player
    Good feedback, but we definitely don't need another new thread about this.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LollosoLolloso Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    We don't need more human beings either; although, population increase :)

Jokes aside; if there is a create post button, I would expect to not receive replies that point out that we don't need posts about a topic. I know that it is hard for some, to just move on without post a comment; but remember what grandma used to say: if there is nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all" ;)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,250 Valuable Player
    edited March 22
    Lolloso said:
    We don't need more human beings either; although, population increase :)

Jokes aside; if there is a create post button, I would expect to not receive replies that point out that we don't need posts about a topic. I know that it is hard for some, to just move on without post a comment; but remember what grandma used to say: if there is nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all" ;)

It's simply forum etiquette. You already posted in a thread about this topic, and then you went out to intentionally create a new thread on the exact same topic. If you scroll the forum, you'll see that other people have had their threads closed for the same reason, like this one:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74399/rift-s-stupendously-underwhelming

Grandma taught several things yes, which includes how to avoid pollution! Multiple threads over the same topic creates unnecessary noise pollution.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited March 22
    Most of the existing threads have very negatively biased titles,  so I'd argue that this thread does need to exist to balance those out.   Someone just scrolling down the first couple page of the forums right now would get a skewed and inaccurate impression of the overall opinion of the Rift-S,  thanks to the small-but-vocal fringe group that keeps making rant-threads.  One or two of them have been closed, but they're still there.

If someone fully deletes all the rant-threads firstthen they can worry about this positive one. :wink:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.