No Man's Sky coming to VR — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No Man's Sky coming to VR

NeloDiavoloNeloDiavolo Posts: 41
Brain Burst
I'm excited to check this update. They have made a lot of progress since release and I always thought it would make a great VR experience.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/03/no-mans-sky-beyond-vr/

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    I was excited, until I saw the part about it specifically being for PSVR and SteamVR.

If the VR support is available in the GoG version, and supports Oculus hardware, I'll get it then.  Love me a good exploration game.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,488
    Project 2501
    I'm pretty excited, this game seems like it would be perfect in VR. I picked it up for like 15 bucks a year and a half ago and have hardly played it. This will renew my interest for sure.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,495 Valuable Player
    Awesome news, can't wait. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
    edited March 26
    I bought it a while back but it's one of a number games I haven't played yet, mainly because it isn't VR. So very good news.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    Will have to put money where mouth is when this drops. I hope it gets native oculus support as well.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    edited March 26
    Awesome news, can't wait. 

Agreed, I've always been a great fan of the game concept, although the devs did encounter massive problems and bad reviews when the game launched. I haven't followed up on the game - but I just saw that recent Steam reviews have been quite positive. 

Potentially this could be one of the top releases in 2019 (the devs plan to launch the VR version Summer 2019).

- maybe better trailers if some don't known the game - or to refuel the original hype  B)

I've long felt that this game would be perfect for VR. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    pyroth309 said:
    I'm pretty excited, this game seems like it would be perfect in VR. I picked it up for like 15 bucks a year and a half ago and have hardly played it. This will renew my interest for sure.
    I picked it up in a sale when there were rumours of a VR release a long time ago and was disappointed when it didn't happen.

Now I am happy :smiley:
    This is an interesting article:

https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-no-mans-sky-vr-is-a-world-of-limitless-possibilities/

Maybe it can be considered some kind of non-exclusive launch title for the Index  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    edited April 2
    Hmmm,  I can't see if there's anything saying there's extra content or not.  Now that it's almost winter it might not be a long wait, but I'm about ready to start up a new game, just about to finish Subnautica.  I think I'll replay NMS.

Hmmm, Last played August 2017.  Looks like there's been 3 major updates since then.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    TwoHedWlf said:
    Hmmm,  I can't see if there's anything saying there's extra content or not.  Now that it's almost winter it might not be a long wait, but I'm about ready to start up a new game, just about to finish Subnautica.  I think I'll replay NMS.

Hmmm, Last played August 2017.  Looks like there's been 3 major updates since then.
    Oh, hey, I haven't played Subnautica in years.  Did the developers eventually get the VR support all sorted out?  Seemed like they really abandoned it for a while (especially on Oculus Home, which they weren't even bothering to apply major updates to, for a time)  and with their new game not even having VR support planned, I kinda lost hope.

If the text is as un-readably small as it was before, maybe I should wait until I get my Rift-S to get back into Subnautica. :tongue:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    CrashFu said:
    TwoHedWlf said:

Oh, hey, I haven't played Subnautica in years.  Did the developers eventually get the VR support all sorted out?  

No - not at all. And it's really a shame - but you may be able to install some mods and fix many issues including the interface - I haven't tried it though. 

Nice preview by IGN:

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,245 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    CrashFu said:
    TwoHedWlf said:

Oh, hey, I haven't played Subnautica in years.  Did the developers eventually get the VR support all sorted out?  

No - not at all. And it's really a shame - but you may be able to install some mods and fix many issues including the interface - I haven't tried it though. 
    I installed the VR Experience mod and it fixed every issue I was having with Sub Nautica, except for the horrible framerate once you've explored a bit. (Such as below 20fps at times on a 2080TI & Threadripper)

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,488
    Project 2501
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    CrashFu said:
    TwoHedWlf said:

I installed the VR Experience mod and it fixed every issue I was having with Sub Nautica, except for the horrible framerate once you've explored a bit. (Such as below 20fps at times on a 2080TI & Threadripper)

Yea there was some areas even near the top that crushed my gtx 1080 and made me feel nausea...and I almost never get it in VR lol. 
  • DilipDilip Posts: 248
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:
    Nice preview by IGN:

This is awesome

Super video, exploration and leaving planet sequence every thing just top modeled, i honestly doubt even PS4 PRO can handle it in VR at full quality, Great Job by SONY to bring such amazing piece after AstroBot and Moss, I think the game will be even more beautiful with RTX2070 and Vive Pro/Samsung Oddyssy+/Rift S. Great news for VR.  
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,489 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm getting more and more interested in this. I should have perhaps grabbed NMS when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. I've added it to my Steam wishlist and also my Green Man Gaming wishlist, so hopefully I'll catch it next time it's on sale (it's got a small 15% discount on GMG currently, but it was going for 50% off recently).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,866 Volunteer Moderator
    Yup now on my wishlist ta
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    edited April 3
    nalex66 said:
    I'm getting more and more interested in this. I should have perhaps grabbed NMS when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. I've added it to my Steam wishlist and also my Green Man Gaming wishlist, so hopefully I'll catch it next time it's on sale (it's got a small 15% discount on GMG currently, but it was going for 50% off recently).
    its been 50% off before, and it will be again.  That said, it may be an idea to get it sooner rather than later...  I never thought of this till just now, but often if a game comes to oculus store when previously only on steam, anyone who had a steam key already BEFORE oculus home launch get a free key!.

Oculus are not daft and i have a feeling they will want this on their store once it launches.

@RuneSR2 are they a legitimate supplier? there are a few key sellers i trust (CDKeys for one) but i have been stung by a few keysellers who have sold me stolen keys so am wary until i know they are legit.

(ie do not use G2A or kinguin, if you do that you may as well pirate the game, that way whilst the devs dont gain anything, they do not actively loose anything either, which they do when they have stolen keys sold from G2A etc)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
    Has any news dropped yet about this having native Rift support on SteamVR? (if that's the only place it's sold)
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • thejustchadthejustchad Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    CrashFu said:
    I was excited, until I saw the part about it specifically being for PSVR and SteamVR.

If the VR support is available in the GoG version, and supports Oculus hardware, I'll get it then.  Love me a good exploration game.
    Will it work if you add the GOG version to your steam library maybe?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,095 Valuable Player
    kojack said:

Why would it drop to 20fps on a Geforce 2080ti? It can't be a well optimized game in the first place if it's doing that. I mean the graphics are alright, but they arn't exactly Skiyrim graphics etc.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 673
    Neo
    Has any news dropped yet about this having native Rift support on SteamVR? (if that's the only place it's sold)
    Currently there has been no further information bar the 'coming Summer' WRT controllers compatibility.  We all have to wait and see!  My hope is that HOTAS support will appear but I'm not holding my breath...
    My gut suggests that the VR opdate will coincide with the deliveries of Index HMD's into the hands of players...
    Looking forward to it nonetheless :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)