New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift Purchase Options After Rift S?

So I'm planning to get an Oculus Rift with touch in May this year. The plan for the Rift S is to replace to Rift. After reading reviews and looking into it, it seems that the Rift is still the better option over the Rift S. Does anybody know if there will be any problems purchasing the original Rift after the S is released? 

Comments

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 510
    Trinity
    it's already being discontinued, if you can find stock get it now
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,298 Valuable Player
    Try to get your hands on them now, 'cause they are going bye-bye fast.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,488 Valuable Player
    …or see what used Rifts become available. I probably wouldn't be keen on a used VR headset personally as they're pretty complex and delicate (compared to a mobile phones at least) so I suppose you'd need to know how well one's been treated.
    But in advance, if I buy an S and end up not using my CV1, I can honestly say mine is perfect and would make an excelent used purchase ;) 
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 859
    3Jane
    edited March 26
    So I'm planning to get an Oculus Rift with touch in May this year. The plan for the Rift S is to replace to Rift. After reading reviews and looking into it, it seems that the Rift is still the better option over the Rift S. Does anybody know if there will be any problems purchasing the original Rift after the S is released? 
    Your new to VR and Rift so I would say get a Rift S as Rift S is designed for YOU, it has better optics then the first Rift edition so I think it's a much better option for you, and I also think you will be happy with the tracking also.

Rift S is a refresh of Rift CV1 and if your coming into VR for the first time then I would highly recommend Rift S with Touch 2.0, I believe you will be very happy with your purchase, it's a bargain at £400. :)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,567 Valuable Player
    Per forums rules I don't think I'm allowed to say that I would sell you my spare rift for $400 + shipping...

Buuuuut if you really don't want a Rift-S, there are certainly people you could buy a CV1 from.  :innocent:

Anxiously awaiting the Rift-S.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,212 Valuable Player
    edited March 26
    Honestly - if you are just now getting into VR - I would recommend getting the Rift S as it'll still be a good starting VR headset unless you had a taste of the current tracking - you will have a fresh start on how VR works and over all for the price feel like it's amazing to get into. Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.
    edited March 27
    Mradr said:
    Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.

I saw none of this "amazing jump" sentiment from first-hand reviewers like Tested and MRTV. Quite the opposite, in fact. Nor is it an "amazing jump" based on its specifications.
    edited March 27
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.

I saw none of this "amazing jump" sentiment from first-hand reviewers like Tested and MRTV. Quite the opposite, in fact. Nor is it an "amazing jump" based on its specifications.
    In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras, making sure they point in the right direction, and running cables around the room. Like I said, for what it is. It's still a downgrade/trade off in many other ways though.
    edited March 27
    Mradr said:
    In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras

A point argued and refuted plenty last week... where there are new tracking blindspots introduced with inside-out tracking, so it's not exactly "night and day" in a good way. I mean, you might as well argue that Cardboard VR is better since it requires zero setup time! Never mind the "tradeoff" of reduced immersion and lack of 6DOF.
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras

A point argued and refuted plenty last week... where there are new tracking blindspots introduced with inside-out tracking, so it's not exactly "night and day" in a good way. I mean, you might as well argue that Cardboard VR is better since it requires zero setup time! Never mind the "tradeoff" of reduced immersion and lack of 6DOF.
    Again, like I said, unless you are lucky enough to be spoiled by the current tracking methods - you wont know. Is like the saying say, never know what you got till it's gone.
    edited March 27
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

Again, like I said, unless you are lucky enough to be spoiled by the current tracking methods - you wont know. Is like the saying say, never know what you got till it's gone.

I wouldn't call it being "spoiled," I would call it understanding the phrase "360 degrees." I guess Math does spoil people lol

And people who have lost tracking with WMR - and it was their FIRST VR HMD - have talked about what they experienced. So it is noticeable. No idea why you convinced yourself that tracking loss isn't noticeable. When is the last time you tried PCVR anyway? It's been over a year right? I guess you forgot what good tracking vs bad tracking is!
    edited March 27
    Zenbane said:
    I wouldn't call it being "spoiled," I would call it understanding the phrase "360 degrees." I guess Math does spoil people lol

And people who have lost tracking with WMR - and it was their FIRST VR HMD - have talked about what they experienced. So it is noticeable. No idea why you convinced yourself that tracking loss isn't noticeable. When is the last time you tried PCVR anyway? It's been over a year right? I guess you forgot what good tracking vs bad tracking is!
    Na, I am still not a fan of the new tracking. Rift S isn't for CV1 owners at all but only because we had a good taste and being spoiled by how it works. The rest of the market seems to be going the way of mobile and the cheaper vision tracking methods. This thread is about the OP being new to VR and wanting to get a headset. Honestly, if the OP is new to VR - it's all going to be a fresh start so they wont know what they're missing in terms of how the old tracking method works - so for them - they will be more understanding on the tracking limits while CV1 owners will get a bit upset each time you do a trick shot and it goes in a different direction be trying to throw it from behind you.

I will miss doing silly tricks in Onward now XDD
    @Mradr - very interested in continuing the discussion based on the new findings in this video:

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your new to VR and Rift so I would say get a Rift S as Rift S is designed for YOU, it has better optics then the first Rift edition so I think it's a much better option for you, and I also think you will be happy with the tracking also.

Rift S is a refresh of Rift CV1 and if your coming into VR for the first time then I would highly recommend Rift S with Touch 2.0, I believe you will be very happy with your purchase, it's a bargain at £400. :)
    There's a few things new owners need to be aware of...like the limited IPD range, and the reduced FoV that VooDoo VR talked about in a recent Nathie video.
  • bobzdarbobzdar Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 9
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

It's not comparable to WMR, 2 cameras vs. 5.  WMR is actually quite good, when controllers are in range of the cameras (which is basically any time you're doing anything meaningful, with a few exceptions) the tracking is spot on.  Even when not, the only time you have any indication the tracking isn't spot on is if you're holding something that extends into your vision (like running with a long rifle or something).  The tracking picks up before it enters your FOV so you never actually see your hands lose tracking.  The Rift S has way more coverage and only loses tracking in a place you can't see your hands or do any actions that you'd even know they'd lost tracking.  What are you going to be doing above and behind your head that needs any kind of accurate hand tracking?

There's zero issue with head tracking and yes, it tracks you the same in all 360 degrees.  It's not just forward facing (like psvr or single camera Rift), that's what 360 means.  You can turn your body 360 degrees and the tracking is the same.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 859
    3Jane
    Spuzzum said:

There's a few things new owners need to be aware of...like the limited IPD range, and the reduced FoV that VooDoo VR talked about in a recent Nathie video.

Reduced FOV? That's been debunked has it not?
    bobzdar said:
    What are you going to be doing above and behind your head that needs any kind of accurate hand tracking?

This has been covered a lot already. Climbing, and the Echo series where you hold objects behind you to "push off" are just some examples. There are others but I'm kinda over repeating the same arguments. We've already seen confirmation that Rift-S is able to use its software algorithms to accurately track areas that the cameras cannot see over a given time-frame. So the blind spots are being covered to what appears to be an acceptable degree. Time will tell.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 258
    Nexus 6
    Spuzzum said:

Yup, it was debunked.

The Rift S has a new feature being the Eye Relief (allowing the screen to move closer or further away).  This is mainly for eye glass users and comfort.  It could be that VooDoo had the Eye Relief incorrectly set.
    I believe in VooDoo's PAX East Rift-S video he said the FOV was similar to Rift CV1
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• foldalefoldale Posts: 7
    NerveGear

• foldalefoldale Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Just make sure your IPD is within the smaller range of the S. I use the Rift CV1 and have the mechanical IPD adjustment all the way in to get clear visuals, with an IPD of 58 the S won't give me that 
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 680
    Neo
    edited April 21
    Every Youtube reviewer I've seen says it might not be worth buying the S if you already have a Rift, but the S is a better overall headset if you are getting into VR fresh. There are a lot of naysayers out there dishonestly critical of the S because it wasn't the Rift2 upgrade they were hoping for, so the review bombing ensues. I'm selling my Rift for an S.
    Edit: Rift Sold!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 562
    Neo
    Of course those who were expecting a Rift 2 will slag off the S, it's the way things are nowadays... those of us who already are rift owners will have to decide if we stick with the headset and update to the next generation somewhere in the future or to play with the S just for the sake of it.
    Other headsets are coming in the near future which may be ahead of the Rift technically, will the die-hards currently supporting Oculus (I have no particular loyalty to brand - but did choose my Rift over the other available tech at the time) still wait for the announcement of something better from them, no matter how long?
    We, as consumers, are empowered to change track on a whim, granted to change track after a considerable investment in Oculus store may be painful...   I for one will look at the tech this year/early next to see if it is worth buying, but will retain my Rift until it dies, just to use the stuff already invested in, the rest is on steam so should be supported by the competition :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,708 Valuable Player
    Just get the Rift S.  You're new to VR, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to set up.  It'll probably be available for sale by the time you have the money if you're planning to pick it up in May.  Support will at least be there for you for the foreseeable future, not so much with CV1.  The tracking is going to be a lot better than those who freak out over it are assuming or it couldn't be released.  Then if you want to get a CV1, buy one from someone on ebay after Rift S is released, they'll probably be real cheap by then and Ebay has their Buyer protection that sucks for sellers but insures that you won't be stuck with someones broken problem item.
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras, making sure they point in the right direction, and running cables around the room. Like I said, for what it is. It's still a downgrade/trade off in many other ways though.

Am I the only one who had no real problems with setting up the sensors?  Maybe it's because I bought the Inatek card and installed it prior to even installing the rift.  My brother and two of my friends also bought Rift after trying mine out and none of them had issues with Sensors either.  Is this problem blown out of proportion on these forums or is my tiny sample group just fortunate to have 100% issue free setup with these sensors?  Maybe it's because all of us were computer savvy.... even though we didn't do anything out of the norm to set this up...
    Spuzzum said:

Reduced FOV?  Is the FOV lower than on CV1 now?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,869 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

Am I the only one who had no real problems with setting up the sensors?  Maybe it's because I bought the Inatek card and installed it prior to even installing the rift.  My brother and two of my friends also bought Rift after trying mine out and none of them had issues with Sensors either.  Is this problem blown out of proportion on these forums or is my tiny sample group just fortunate to have 100% issue free setup with these sensors?  Maybe it's because all of us were computer savvy.... even though we didn't do anything out of the norm to set this up...
    Never had a sensor set up problem here either, they have been flawless for me since getting the Rift.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,869 Valuable Player
    RattyUK said:
    Of course those who were expecting a Rift 2 will slag off the S, it's the way things are nowadays... those of us who already are rift owners will have to decide if we stick with the headset and update to the next generation somewhere in the future or to play with the S just for the sake of it.
    Other headsets are coming in the near future which may be ahead of the Rift technically, will the die-hards currently supporting Oculus (I have no particular loyalty to brand - but did choose my Rift over the other available tech at the time) still wait for the announcement of something better from them, no matter how long?
    We, as consumers, are empowered to change track on a whim, granted to change track after a considerable investment in Oculus store may be painful...   I for one will look at the tech this year/early next to see if it is worth buying, but will retain my Rift until it dies, just to use the stuff already invested in, the rest is on steam so should be supported by the competition :)
    I would have considered myself a Die Hard - I hung in there for the next version of Rift and was convinced I would order it on the first day it was available to order.

Strongly looking elsewhere now, though I may end up getting an S later on in addition to what other headset I go with. Will see.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 20
    Spuzzum said:

fast forward to 6:42 if it doesn't automatically.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 309
    Trinity
    You can get mine, 4 sensors, many extension cables, Startek USB card with 4 USB controllers. Still doesn't track the volume I want. Rift S will be awesome for me.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,277 Valuable Player
    @falken76 - well said :)