Trover Saves the Universe - looks awesome, out for Rift June 4 (2019 ;-) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Trover Saves the Universe - looks awesome, out for Rift June 4 (2019 ;-)

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
edited March 26 in Games and Apps
Trailer:

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051200/Trover_Saves_the_Universe/

ABOUT THIS GAME

From the co-creator of Rick and Morty comes Trover Saves the Universe.

Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic named Glorkon who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. You're partnered with Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster who isn’t a huge fan of working or being put in the position of having to save the universe. He’s also not that big a fan of you quite frankly, and neither am I. (Jk, you’re great)

Only you and Trover can save everything in this bizarre comedy adventure, created by Justin Roiland!

• A comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices. See how the best intentions can go horribly awry.

• You control Trover's movements, but not his mouth. He’s got a lot to say about what’s going on in the game.

• Travel the cosmos to experience a variety of weird alien planets and bizarre characters with big personalities.

• Upgrade Trover AND YOURSELF with new abilities to (hopefully) defeat Glorkon while evading awkward situations.

• You'll be immersed in weirdness, no matter which display you use. Switch between TV, monitor or VR headset displays* whenever you want.

*Additional hardware required.

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION

The developers describe the content like this:

Blood and Gore
Drug Reference
Mature Humor
Strong Language
Violence

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    Now when you say "Out for Rift June 4" do you mean an Oculus Home release is confirmed for that date, or are you just talking the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    edited March 26
    CrashFu said:
    Now when you say "Out for Rift June 4" do you mean an Oculus Home release is confirmed for that date, or are you just talking the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR?

It's the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR :blush: The devs have not mentioned Oculus Home support - but we'll see. And we don't know yet if it's really half-assed - Polybius was totally awesome on the Rift - the devs even ran the game outside SteamVR - even though the game needs to be bought through Steam. Trover will probasbly not have this kind of Rift support, but I'm not sure it'll be a big problem, SkyrimVR and Doom VFR actually work great in SteamVR. 

I do get the feeling that Trover and I will do our best to save the universe, even if we have to go through Steam  B)  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    Come on mate this is almost as bad as some of the anti oculus sentiment some give. Steam is a storefront just like oculus and there are plenty of titles which the Devs have clearly spent a lot of time getting working just right in VR on steam including the rift .

Even IF it is steam store only title it does not necessarily mean half assed.

(Of course it might be but we just don't know)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    CrashFu said:
    Come on mate this is almost as bad as some of the anti oculus sentiment some give. Steam is a storefront just like oculus and there are plenty of titles which the Devs have clearly spent a lot of time getting working just right in VR on steam including the rift .

Even IF it is steam store only title it does not necessarily mean half assed.

(Of course it might be but we just don't know)
    If a game's devs have actually gone to the effort of proper Oculus support, they'd have no reason not to release on Oculus Home, especially considering the market dominance of the Rift. That's been the case with almost every multi-platform VR game worth playing.

If a game releases exclusively on SteamVR, that's a sign that it either wasn't good enough to pass Oculus' minimum quality standards, or that it was developed exclusively for the Vive, and the Rift support is just incidental or an afterthought  (in which case it probably won't work well, if at all)

I have no doubt that Trover passes the quality check, so the question is whether the developers give a rat's ass about Rift owners. Considering their previous VR games were advertised very prominently as Vive-exclusives when they first came out, and only got Oculus releases long afterwards,  I would bet on them making us a distant afterthought yet again.    (That, or Valve paid them for limited-time exclusivity.  Not that they'd ever admit to it, after how much of a stink Newell made over Oculus-funded games not being on Steam)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    ........ WOW that trailer pretty much screams adult.
    WAAAGH!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,869 Valuable Player
    Too much swearing. 
    Just noticed this is also available (for preorder) on the Epic Games Store, so I guess I'll get to play it after all.  :wink:
    Oh hey, look, Trover preorders temporarily $16.99 on the Epic Store:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/trover-saves-the-universe/home

(And every other game that is $14.99 or above, including preorders and games already on sale, get an automatic $10 discount.  Yes, that's $10, not 10% )
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,488
    Project 2501
    edited May 18
    I like games like this, they usually keep me entertained and laughing. 
    edited May 19
    CrashFu said:

(And every other game that is $14.99 or above, including preorders and games already on sale, get an automatic $10 discount.  Yes, that's $10, not 10% )
    How does the VR support work when buying through Epic Store? Maybe it's like GOG, the game would be more or less worthless to me without optimal VR support though. If I'll soon have 2 HMDs connected, maybe there're some advantages supporting Steam instead of Epic Store (or Oculus, but this game does not look like being available in the Oculus Store).

RuneSR2 said:
    CrashFu said:

How does the VR support work when buying through Epic Store? Maybe it's like GOG, the game would be more or less worthless to me without optimal VR support though. If I'll soon have 2 HMDs connected, maybe there're some advantages supporting Steam instead of Epic Store (or Oculus, but this game does not look like being available in the Oculus Store).
    It should be like running a VR game off GoG  (or any other third-party platform, or a standalone .exe).   IE you'll just launch the game, put on your headset, and it'll work.  Worst-case scenario you might have to set a "-vr"  launch parameter or activate VR mode in the game's menu or somesuch.

Games on Steam (and Viveport, which is based around SteamVR) are really the outlier, because they force SteamVR to run in the background regardless of which VR device you're using, and for Rift-users that can screw with game performance, cause crashes, and prevent VR apps from opening successfully.  Not exactly what I'd call "optimal VR support".

Once that OpenXR thing comes out that should make things better, since it'll supposedly bypass SteamVR entirely and ensure only the correct runtimes are used,  but in the meantime I would avoid anything utilizing SteamVR.
    Project 2501
    Oculus runs in the background while playing also so I don't see how Steam is the outlier when the vast majority of people play their VR games on one or the other or both. 
    It's a great price in the Epic Store, but for now it's one of the games I'm looking forward to try on the Index, so I'll buy it on Steam.

pyroth309 said:
    Oculus runs in the background while playing also so I don't see how Steam is the outlier when the vast majority of people play their VR games on one or the other or both. 
    The difference is that the Oculus runtimes actually enable useful features such as Dash, whereas the SteamVR processes do nothing for Rift except eat up resources and prevent some games from running properly.

There's really no comparison between useful software and unwanted malware; one belongs on a Rift-user's PC and the other doesn't.

But hey, it's your PC, install whatever you want on it.
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    CrashFu said:
    pyroth309 said:
    The difference is that the Oculus runtimes actually enable useful features such as Dash, whereas the SteamVR processes do nothing for Rift except eat up resources and prevent some games from running properly.

There's really no comparison between useful software and unwanted malware; one belongs on a Rift-user's PC and the other doesn't.

And SteamVR has a lot of useful features for headsets native to it. Oculus Home does nothing useful for someone on SteamVR that's playing Rift games, but you still have to run it to play the games. 
    pyroth309 said:
    CrashFu said:
    pyroth309 said:

And SteamVR has a lot of useful features for headsets native to it. Oculus Home does nothing useful for someone on SteamVR that's playing Rift games, but you still have to run it to play the games. 
    In one scenario, you're using a third-party program to trick Oculus Home into thinking you're using a Rift, so of course it launches the Rift's supporting software... YOU ASKED IT TO.

In the other scenario, Steam specifically promises direct support for Rift on many games and apps, knows you're using a Rift, but then mandatorily launches background processes that have nothing to do with it, and which often cause so many technical issues that the alleged support is essentially false advertising to begin with.

And not only that, but SteamVR has a habit of automatically running itself in the background when a Rift-user launches Oculus Home apps.  Even while Steam and all of its regular background processes are closed. You can't tell me that's not shady as ****.     Any time one of my games failed to launch,  ctrl-alt-delete, oh look it's SteamVR  (eating up a ton of background resources).  Anytime a game crashed, ctrl-alt-delete, oh look it's SteamVR again.   Uninstalled SteamVR, and what's this?  Significantly fewer issues.

One of these programs is dedicated support software for a specific Oculus device.  The other is invasive malware disguised as pointless bloatware.  That's so far beyond an apples-to-oranges comparison, it might as well be apples-to-orangutans.
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    CrashFu said 

In the other scenario, Steam specifically promises direct support for Rift on many games and apps
    Which is a already an extra feature over OH. 
    In the other scenario, Steam specifically promises direct support for Rift on many games and apps, knows you're using a Rift, but then mandatorily launches background processes that have nothing to do with it, and which often cause so many technical issues that the alleged support is essentially false advertising to begin with.
    Half of my library of VR games is on Steam, the other is on OH and I've never had a problem with SteamVR launching when launching OH games but I actually do have a problem with the Oculus App opening sometimes when running apps with Windows Mixed Reality. The Oculus Service is always running behind the scenes... "you can't tell me that's not shady as ****." to use your term. 

Anyway, I was just pointing out that Oculus software is also running while playing games which SteamVR does when you launch games on it (when it's working properly anyway). They are not much different and both have ways to defeat the opening when not using them. I can manually force a stop on the Oculus Service, and in SteamVR i can just uncheck Start SteamVR when a VR application starts. 
    edited June 3
    Tomorrow is Trover Day - only on SteamVR - 20GB, I already bought the game  o:)

New trailers:

87/100 according to IGN:
    "Trover Saves the Universe is a short and sweet VR platformer wrapped in one of the most ridiculous video game stories you’ll ever see. Justin Roiland and Squanch Games have done an excellent job of taking the ludicrous, freeform humor of Rick and Morty and molding it around a straightforward but enjoyable 3D brawler – even if it’s lacking the complex and well-crafted plots the best episodes of that show are known for. It loses something when played in 2D, but takes such great advantage of its unique VR mechanics that it’s one anyone (or at least anyone over 17, given its rating) with a headset should try."

90/100 - Shacknews:
    "Trover Saves the Universe is an ambitious and solid first outing from the team at Squanch Games. There’s a real game here with some actual replayability thanks to hidden power babies, a few branching paths, and the crazy amount of voice acting that went into it. It looks good, it plays good, and it is guaranteed to make you laugh out loud several times during your adventure. At a price point of $29.99, you’re getting quite a deal considering the amount of content being delivered, especially for a VR experience. While Trover has a few flaws, the overall package executes what it sets out to accomplish remarkably well."

This is the PS4 version - Metascore 77 right now - find more reviews here:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/trover-saves-the-universe/critic-reviews

RuneSR2 said:

Still not true.  It's launching on Epic Store tomorrow as well, and still can be purchased there for $16.99.. nearly half the price of the Steam version.

For anyone worried about supporting the game's developers, that difference in price is being covered entirely by Epic, Trover's devs still get the same amount they would if you bought it elsewhere... 

Actually, no, that's not true. Epic only takes 12% of the profits of any sale, compared to Valve's 30%...  so you'd actually be supporting the devs more by buying it for less on Epic Store. 
    :wink:

I'm buying it now, myself.  It'll be the first VR game I've run off the Epic Store, so I can make sure there isn't any weird catch (like how Viveport requires you to install Steam and SteamVR)
    CrashFu said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Still not true.  It's launching on Epic Store tomorrow as well, and still can be purchased there for $16.99.. nearly half the price of the Steam version.

For anyone worried about supporting the game's developers, that difference in price is being covered entirely by Epic, Trover's devs still get the same amount they would if you bought it elsewhere... 

Actually, no, that's not true. Epic only takes 12% of the profits of any sale, compared to Valve's 30%...  so you'd actually be supporting the devs more by buying it for less on Epic Store. 

I'm buying it now, myself.  It'll be the first VR game I've run off the Epic Store, so I can make sure there isn't any weird catch (like how Viveport requires you to install Steam and SteamVR)
    My bad, yes it's also available in the Epic Store. As I'm considering getting the Index, I'm thinking there might be advantages getting the Steam version, but of course the Epic version may be the same.

RuneSR2 said:
    CrashFu said:
    RuneSR2 said:

My bad, yes it's also available in the Epic Store. As I'm considering getting the Index, I'm thinking there might be advantages getting the Steam version, but of course the Epic version may be the same.
    Interesting to note, there's a FAQ on the (Epic) store page for the game, stating that it will support not only gamepad, but also Touch and the Index Controllers as well.   But apparently not the Vive Wands, because they just don't have enough mappable buttons.
    :tongue:

The list of supported headsets also lists Vive, Rift, and Index.   Rift-S isn't specifically listed, but I assume it will work just fine.

I'll be the guinea pig tomorrow..  if I have any trouble with the Epic Store version, or specifically using Rift-S, I'll let you all know.
    CrashFu said:
    Interesting to note, there's a FAQ on the (Epic) store page for the game, stating that it will support not only gamepad, but also Touch and the Index Controllers as well.   But apparently not the Vive Wands, because they just don't have enough mappable buttons.
    :tongue:

The list of supported headsets also lists Vive, Rift, and Index.   Rift-S isn't specifically listed, but I assume it will work just fine.

I'll be the guinea pig tomorrow..  if I have any trouble with the Epic Store version, or specifically using Rift-S, I'll let you all know.

Support for Touch and Knuckles is awesome, didn't see that one coming - having to use a gamepad was my main argument for not buying this game. Looking forward to install it in 5 hours!

PS. I think CV1 is the winner here when it comes to audio - compared to Rift-S and Index. The language in Trover may not exactly be something you want your spouse or kids to hear :D  

Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:

Support for Touch and Knuckles is awesome, didn't see that one coming - having to use a gamepad was my main argument for not buying this game. Looking forward to install it in 5 hours!

PS. I think CV1 is the winner here when it comes to audio - compared to Rift-S and Index. The language in Trover may not exactly be something you want your spouse or kids to hear :D  
    I picked it up on Steam too. Looking forward to checking it out in 4 hours. Hope it's hilarious. 
    edited June 4
    Seems like it's just a 3.1GB download, I'm ready for my VR language lesson later tonight  o:)

Trover is also just now available in the Oculus Store. Kinda annoying that it just pops up like out of nowhere, no way to plan ahead... 

Project 2501
    edited June 4
    yea I played a bit, it's not real VR controls. It's like some of the older VR games that let you use Touch but you're basically using it like a Gamepad... No real benefit to it at this point. Game does look awesome in my Odyssey. Lots of vivid colors. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,877 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    yea I played a bit, it's not real VR controls. It's like some of the older VR games that let you use Touch but you're basically using it like a Gamepad... No real benefit to it at this point. Game does look awesome in my Odyssey. Lots of vivid colors. 
    I'm hoping it'll look crisp AF on my reverb :smiley:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    RuneSR2 said:
    Trover is also just now available in the Oculus Store. Kinda annoying that it just pops up like out of nowhere, no way to plan ahead... 
    Yeah, weird that it wasn't featured in the "upcoming games" list.   Makes you wonder what else will just quietly appear on the Oculus Store without warning?  :confused:

Also, can confirm that the Epic Store version works just fine with the Rift-S.

In fact, there are launch options for SteamVR, Oculus VR, and OSVR.   Just have to launch the appropriate one and put on the headset.

Already played through the first full level (Shweeny World, or something like that?)  and even collected all the green power babies. Having a good time, so far.

I'm curious about the "censored" mode.. I'll have to try it out, it might actually be funnier than all the cussing, who knows?