Valve Index - Specifications released. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,191
Wintermute
edited April 30 in General

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 29
    Whoa..is that inside out tracking or just a passthrough? And a physical IPD adjustment...shots fired lol. 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    edited March 29
    Finally knuckles and HL3 as well ? .. No seriously ??

Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    Pcgamer point´s out that /sale/ is part of the link, so can be bought soon as well.

Be good, die great !
    edited March 29
    KlodsBrik said:
    Finally knuckles and HL3 as well ? .. No seriously ??

Lol lets not get crazy here. Knuckles probably though. 

I said in one of the Rift-S threads that they left the door open for Valve by just replacing the Rift and not doing a true "1.5" improvement. It looks like Valve agrees. Hope we get some specs. Rumors were 135 FoV when it was a prototype. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,871 Volunteer Moderator
    Interesting... I don’t know anything about it, but at least it has a date (well, a month, anyway). Definitely would like to hear some details. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB

They added 2 extra cameras to the top it appears that weren't on the prototype. Would explain why Knuckles and base stations 2.0 never came out if so. Rip Vive Pro users that spent all that money lol. 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    And......another enters the ring....place your bets!!!

i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Wintermute
    That had me laughing like crazy :D
    Be good, die great !
    edited March 29
    Zenbane said:
    Yea it's definitely not a sexy design lol. 
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 450
    Trinity
    edited March 29
    I'm willing to wait until May.
    Key points are gonna be Specs and Price.  It's a no good for me if it's a $800+ headset
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Zenbane said:
    2019 really is the year of De-evolution for VR isn't it?

Not just these headsets, but even the way people are responding to Rift-S. Not to start that debate over here (and I certainly don't agree with a lot of negativity around Rift-S). But the fact is that all the headsets depicted in this thread, coupled with the main backlash of Rift-S, doesn't it feel like 2019 is plagued with going backwards in VR? Weather that feeling of de-evolution is real or imagined, the overall theme is alive and well this year!
    Kind of depends on the specs of that Valve headset, but yea I think that was a big driver for people's disappointment. After 3 years, people are ready to leap forward, even if it isn't possible or feasible yet. 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    Soon some of us will have a HMD for every day of the week... hmmm, which one should I use today!!!
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Soon some of us will have a HMD for every day of the week... hmmm, which one should I use today!!!

I'm more than halfway there now!
    Wintermute
    edited March 29
    Valve Corporation's long-rumored VR headset is finally real. After allying with HTC to launch the Vive as a SteamVR product in 2016, Valve has moved ahead with plans to launch its own headset, the Valve Index, in "May 2019."
    The news came on Friday in the form of a single teaser image, shown above, of a headset with the phrase "Valve Index" written on its front. The front of the headset is flanked by at least two sensors. This shadow-covered hardware matches the leaked headset reported by UploadVR in November of last year. That report hinted to Valve's headset supporting a wider, 135-degree field-of-view (FOV), as opposed to the roughly 110-degree FOV of the original HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.
    I get disoriented all the time ..
     Wtf came up with that domain name and why ?
    Be good, die great !
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,519 Valuable Player
    Meanwhile on the Valve Knuckles forum?

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Wintermute

Be good, die great !
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,519 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 29
    On a serious note, LZ's take about HTC is probably right on the money. I can't imagine many people who use the Vive sticking with them. If that Valve headset is any good, and it should be, HTC is in big trouble. 
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    Honestly all Oculus had to do is put the same screen as the Odyssey plus in the Rift S and it would have been an instant buy for me... I will truly miss the Rift ecosystem but if this HMD has a better screen and FOV well I will have to jump ship... It's sad, it was such an easy thing to accomplish 
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
     Iv'e seen some disturbing comments on different forums who seem to belive that Valve are the first to deliver the non cardboxVR hmd out there. I used to be worried with average iq of humanity and their ability to read up on news. Guess that by now iv'e just given up.

Both HTC and Oculus might be in trouble if their marketing material has sparkling videos with half naked womans in it.

Just saying.

Be good, die great !
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,707 Valuable Player
    Meanwhile at HTC

Reminds me of my ex-wife. Seriously. lol
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    But what about their secret weapon...HL3 VR? 

And will this come with the knuckles controller? 

If the screen is better + knuckles + HL3 VR then I'm buying. Probably $800+ but I'll still get it. 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited March 29
    So what, they're just going to start selling this thing without revealing the specs or features or any specific planned content ahead of time?  Well that's not shady at all. 

Also, "Valve Index" was the best name they could come up with???  :neutral:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    CrashFu said:

Also, "Valve Index" was the best name they could come up with???  :neutral:
    Yeah, worst name ever. What does index have to do with VR? I would call it the Valve Portal.

I still don't believe it will be out in May until it's fully confirmed. 
This discussion has been closed.