Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 19 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,450
    Project 2501
    edited April 8

But what if because Gabe doesn't know how to make VR mechanics because VR is so new so he employed these guys to get the basics right, like the guns, shooting, physics, animations, etc, and then his team at Valve finish off the rest with the good story, characters, game world etc.That would explain why he asked them to help. And on the first YouTube video they ever posted with the guns the guy said "we're trying to make the best weapons ever made in VR" and I truly believe that one we get our hands on their game it's going be true that their guns shoot, reload and perform with physics better then any other current game in VR like Onward/Pavlov etc.

I would imagine Valve would know more than just about anyone regarding VR mechanics. They've been experimenting with it forever. That said, I did some digging and I missed a key piece of information. I didn't realize they showed up on Valve's Game Master Package on steam. Normally that's only games Valve have funded or published or made themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if Gabe threw them some money considering their connection. I'm still skeptical that it's one of the 3 Valve games previously talked about especially since Valve isn't listed on the Steam page. Valve likely funded some or all of it.  

I think we're going to see a much more aggressive Valve with Epic throwing fortnite money around and Oculus producing such high quality games. I could see them funding a lot of studios to push VR stuff out. I've been critical of Valve for not doing this for the Vive...but perhaps they were simply waiting for their own headset to be ready.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

I think we're going to see a much more aggressive Valve with Epic throwing fortnite money around and Oculus producing such high quality games. I could see them funding a lot of studios to push VR stuff out. I've been critical of Valve for not doing this for the Vive...but perhaps they were simply waiting for their own headset to be ready.
    Not saying VR games are easy to make - god no - but I just can't believe we haven't seen any real work done for VR or more life like game engines yet. The amount of work that went into their game shows you can totally start producing games at a much HIGHER quality than we do now. There is a LOT of room still open for VR and for it to grow into. Once more stuff like these gets out onto the market - the better VR as a whole will be and really each store will push each other harder to product better stuff.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    Mradr said:
    pyroth309 said:

Not saying VR games are easy to make - god no - but I just can't believe we haven't seen any real work done for VR or more life like game engines yet. The amount of work that went into their game shows you can totally start producing games at a much HIGHER quality than we do now. There is a LOT of room still open for VR and for it to grow into. Once more stuff like these gets out onto the market - the better VR as a whole will be and really each store will push each other harder to product better stuff.
    Mass market adoption = better and more life like games.
    edited April 8
    inovator said:
    Na, people like Node that care about VR is what matters - we need more devs and people like that that will push what we have now forward and take the risk so bigger companies can learn and try produce more "safe" games using the same ideas. That has nothing to do with mass market - that has everything to do is caring about what VR can bring to the table. Mass market will come much like the saying "if you build it - he will come".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3c_pJ_CLJQ
    Project 2501
    Mradr said:
    inovator said:
    Na, people like Node that care about VR is what matters - we need more devs and people like that that will push what we have now forward and take the risk so bigger companies can learn and try produce more "safe" games using the same ideas. That has nothing to do with mass market - that has everything to do is caring about what VR can bring to the table. Mass market will come much like the saying "if you build it - he will come".
    We will agree to disagree on this one. Sony for example has 100s of people working on individual games and spend millions of dollars to produce games like God of war, horizon dawn etc. It's the what comes 1st the chicken or the egg.  
    edited April 8
    inovator said:
    Mradr said:
    inovator said:
    We will agree to disagree on this one. Sony for example has 100s of people working on individual games and spend millions of dollars to produce games like God of war, horizon dawn etc. It's the what comes 1st the chicken or the egg.  
    O.o nani? That isnt a chicken or a egg problem - They are not a big company - they are not even looking at massive amounts of current users - yet they made a game that is above and beyond what current titles did. Their vision of what a VR game should be was their main goal - they went and talk about some of this. Yes they want to make money for their software - but they did the hard work to be show off their work can be greater than anyone else did. That is what a small company does. They bring out new ideas - sometimes it works really well and sometimes it falls on its butt- but going off what we have seen they did an amazing job and brought the VR software to the next level.

What came first was the hardware follow by software XD PS1 wasn't out on the market yet - so they had to create games first before mass market adoption could take place. Much like here - software will come first. Software is King at the end of the day. People go to software ~ Also the egg came first - known fact - it was the thing born with the mutation to be a chicken.

Anyways - the only argument really left is really what will help mass market to take off - is is going to be cost/entry or features/stats. We should know in 6 months what hardware sells more for PC. Granted - over all mass market will be with Quest and GO as it offers the best tick for tack ratio of both worlds.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    edited April 8

I was trying to remember where I had heard of Stress Level Zero before.   Found their website and said, "Oh right, Duck Season.."   then scrolled down a bit and.. "Wait, what?  They made Hover Junkers, too?"

So now it makes sense to me that they'd be working on a launch title for the Index, considering Hover Junkers was one of the first SteamVR exclusives.  In fact, that's one of the only professional-quality games I can remember them boasting at launch, apart from Job Simulator and Budget Cuts... and of the three, Hover Junkers is the only one that still hasn't gotten an Oculus Home release.   (Considering it's been about three years since I've heard anyone even mention the game, I wonder if anybody still plays it?)

Side topic:  So does Valve have a patent on eye-tracking, or just one very specific means of doing it?  I hope all those patents aren't the reason Rift 2 had to be put on the back-burner.

:grimace:

Mradr said:

Anyways - the only argument really left is really what will help mass market to take off - is is going to be cost/entry or features/stats. We should know in 6 months what hardware sells more for PC. 
    Pretty sure that argument was already solved, when the $1300 Vive Pro tried to compete with the $400 CV1.  :wink:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Project 2501
    CrashFu said:
      (Considering it's been about three years since I've heard anyone even mention the game, I wonder if anybody still plays it?)

Nah Hover Junkers died early on. It got hard to find games after awhile and there wasn't enough to do to keep people logging in. Same story as a bunch of other multiplayer only games. 

Pretty sure that argument was already solved, when the $1300 Vive Pro tried to compete with the $400 CV1.  :wink: 
    I know this was probably a joke but the only thing that proved is people aren't going to overpay for a product that should have been priced at least 600 lower than the $1400 sticker. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,591 Valuable Player
    Any developer releasing an online VR game is asking for trouble this early into the third commercial generation of VR (normal people were able to buy VR systems in the first commercial generation in the 80s and the second in the 90s, contrary to popular belief).

The problem is that it's a lot quicker and easier to develop an online multiplayer game than it is a single player campaign.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    Honestly, I doubt most developers realized how much competition they would have in such a (relatively) short amount of time.  I'm sure at least some of them we're thinking  "We'll be the first big competitive multiplayer game!"   but by the time their games were ready, there were at least dozens of almost identical games, all struggling to keep an active playerbase.

Until the market grows to a few times this size, VR devs would be WAY better off making single-player or even co-op games  (and I'm not just saying that because I like those kind of games 100x more than competitive shooters. :wink:  But seriously, if you make a good co-op game I guarantee I will buy it.)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Project 2501
    edited April 8
    Yea, they did go back and add a single player experience but the game was long a graveyard by that point. I had logged in for a free trial for it and there was literally 5 people online. I don't think people that owned it even noticed.

Still, if you do own it, it's something to mess around with lol. 

I also agree that multiplayer only is a big risk in any early tech. For every onward or Pavlov, there's a ton of failures. 
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea, they did go back and add a single player experience but the game was long a graveyard by that point. I had logged in for a free trial for it and there was literally 5 people online. I don't think people that owned it even noticed.

Still, if you do own it, it's something to mess around with lol. 

I also agree that multiplayer only is a big risk in any early tech. For every onward or Pavlov, there's a ton of failures. 
    I think this is Valve last stand after what happen with HTC Vive. If their headset doesn't sell well this time though - they might give up in PCVR. In a way I dont want that to happen - but they are lacking on some key points that Oculus has gotten right for VR though such as ASW - putting money into get VR titles - creating software design for VR - etc. Valve has all that already so the fact they got side track isnt good and I feel lost them a lot of customers as well. They're going to have to play catch up just a bit - but hopefully that means software titles wont get left in the dust in the future.
    Project 2501
    Mradr said:
    I think this is Valve last stand after what happen with HTC Vive. If their headset doesn't sell well this time though - they might give up in PCVR. In a way I dont want that to happen - but they are lacking on some key points that Oculus has gotten right for VR though such as ASW - putting money into get VR titles - creating software design for VR - etc. Valve has all that already so the fact they got side track isnt good and I feel lost them a lot of customers as well. They're going to have to play catch up just a bit - but hopefully that means software titles wont get left in the dust in the future.

This is the only headset that bears Valve's name on it. I don't think the Vive has any lasting impact on Valve, good or bad. The vast majority of people that have anything negative to say about the Vive blames HTC.

Agreed on ASW. While SteamVR does have motion smoothing which is ASW 1.0, ASW 2.0 seems to be a step ahead. I'm curious if the Index will do anything special here

Also agree on software for the most part, thus far Valve has been quiet and I don't know if that's just distraction/disinterest or they have a plan for the Index. Time will tell. I'm also not sure they'll have to do much catching up if the Index is as advanced as rumors think it is and also when you consider how many VR sales are happening on their storefront from both Oculus and Vive users. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,877 Valuable Player
    Agreed. This is Valve's "first" headset, so it can't be their "last" stand. lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited April 8
    Zenbane said:
    I mean as far as keeping users in the steam store - at some point Oculus will have a majority of users in terms of what store most people should use in terms of what will be coming out for it. I mean a lot of good titles already start out on the Oculus store now then at a later time show up on steam. That problem seems like it can only grow if the headset doesn't do so well for Valve along side the extra work into the SDK put in with Oculus software. I mean it be pretty hard - but it is possible they just out price themselves or really mess up on the build quality of the headset. So in a way, I think yes we could say its it last stand if it doesn't do well. More people would consider Oculus as king and with them already having a lead - that be a majority rule as far as voting with your money on what headset to get xD 
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    I mean as far as keeping users in the steam store - at some point Oculus will have a majority of value in terms of what store most people should use in terms of what will be coming out for it. I mean a lot of good titles already start out on the Oculus store now then at a later time show up on steam. That problem seems like it can only grow if the headset doesn't do so well for Vive along side the extra work into the SDK they put in with Oculus software.

I have seen the exact opposite. Cross-Platform titles appear on Steam first, and Oculus afterwards. It's been this way since 2016. People have complained about it quite a bit. The only titles that Oculus gets first are Oculus Exclusives, and those do not end up on Steam. I have no clue what titles you've seen on Oculus first and then Steam later. In all sincerity, I think that has happened like... zero times.

There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.
    edited April 8
    Zenbane said:
    There are too many other headsets that rely on the Steam Store for it to go away completely. All the WMR Headsets and of course, Pimax. The Oculus Rift also has a substantial lead on Steam's Hardware survey. It's been this way for over a year. I'm not a fan of SteamVR, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.
    I didnt say the store would - just that they wont worry about creating new VR headsets for it. So far comparing the other headsets - in terms of scale - Oculus should still be seeing more sells. Pimax also use the Oculus store too. I heard there was talks even with MS to start using the Oculus store.

Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first. Many of those titles are worth the value for most headsets to try and get them even if they have to go over another method to get them to work. That is slowly become a thing. Nothing wrong with it - just what it will be. 

I hope though this creates competition though between the stores so that VR users still win at the end of the day:) I can't wait for the software that might come out of this little spat between headsets and the stores:))
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,807 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    There's nothing better than Index hype  <3  :D

Fuck that!!! :o

If you have to pop one or both of your eyes out of your fucking face I'm not going anywhere near the bloody thing!!!
    And here I was thinking you were an enthusiast and you can't even be bothered to get a rusty spoon and pop out an eye or 2.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,807 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    I didnt say the store would - just that they wont worry about creating new VR headsets for it. So far comparing the other headsets - in terms of scale - Oculus should still be seeing more sells. Pimax also use the Oculus store too. I heard there was talks even with MS to start using the Oculus store.

Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first. Many of those titles are worth the value for most headsets to try and get them even if they have to go over another method to get them to work. That is slowly become a thing. Nothing wrong with it - just what it will be. 

I hope though this creates competition though between the stores so that VR users still win at the end of the day:) I can't wait for the software that might come out of this little spat between headsets and the stores:))
    Some people with  none oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure, hell my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited April 8
    Some people with one oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure he'll my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)
    I agree in lots of ways - it's just really interesting to see how both stores are setup to support the VR echo system. I mean in theory you can say that about both stores. Just from a position of number of units out there - Oculus does have a lead at this time base off the same store that was design for their hardware. Yet, I can remember people being upset games were on the Oculus Store that Vive users couldn't own officially for a while and even then had to use a 3rd party way in doing so. 

At this time there just nothing stopping people from using the steam store only - they all have access to the Oculus store too if they wish. Because they can do it - it should put pressure on Steam that they are not the only store a HMD can use and that means they need to be on their game if VR is going to continue to grow.
    edited April 9
    Mradr said:
    Oculus Exclusives is still the same as it starting there first.
    Oculus Exclusives release to the Oculus Store and "stay" on the Oculus Store. Can you name a single Oculus Exclusive that started on Oculus Store and was released to Steam?? I can't think of a single one.

Earlier you said that they release on Oculus "first" and then on Steam "second." But that is not true, because they don't go to Steam. Lucky's Tale, Farlands, Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Robo Recall, The Unspoken. All Oculus Exclusives, not on Steam.
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Some people with  none oculus hmds buy oculus games, for sure, hell my mate with a vive has spent 100s on there..... However so long as other hmds can't access the store officially and a non endorsed app is needed, then steam have a massive advantage there. (And no I am not going down the rabbit hole of speculation about who benefits from that)

Precisely. Non-Oculus owners must buy Oculus Exclusives from the Oculus Store and use a 3rd Party App to make it work because Steam does NOT carry them. On top of that... coming out of the Rift-S debacle, many people are upset with Facebook's direction and therefore want to move away from the locked Oculus ecosystem and over towards Steam. The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store.

SteamVR is definitely looking better and better to many VR consumers. And with WMR growing in popularity, so will SteamVR.
  • jabjab Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    The locked 'trying to make your PC into a console' Oculus ecosystem is exactly what turned me away. And I am no Vive shill, I own every Oculus device possible, except the Quest (was released after I jumped ship).
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,307 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Precisely. Non-Oculus owners must buy Oculus Exclusives from the Oculus Store and use a 3rd Party App to make it work because Steam does NOT carry them. On top of that... coming out of the Rift-S debacle, many people are upset with Facebook's direction and therefore want to move away from the locked Oculus ecosystem and over towards Steam. The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store.

SteamVR is definitely looking better and better to many VR consumers. And with WMR growing in popularity, so will SteamVR.
    Yes it is - I have one combat flight sim that I have to use Steam VR for - and it is the one I play the most.
    Never really had an issue with it. I don't care all that much for Steam myself and having Steam VR for this game is only reason I have it. But it has always worked just fine and trouble free for me.

So when I switch to the Index having to go through Steam VR will not bother me all that much. I think I would rather use Steam VR  than WMR based off feedback I have been seeing.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

I agree with some of the things you say but where you said: The manner in which Rift-S "appears" to make Rift CV1 and its tracking system a "phased out" product, this has catered to the sentiment of those who fear being locked to an Exclusive Store. I believe the current tracking system is being phased out. Like you said the wmr headsets are becoming more popular. That may be due to the pain in the ass set up process, and due to sensors  being eliminated. When you say many people are upset due to the debacle  (I guess you mean the disagreement on how much  the s will be  improved) and will move on to steam vr. You may find the many moving to steamvr for the reasons you state may be the minority. That we won't know for a period of time after the release. Maybe I'm wrong and your right but I think I'm strongly in the running.

edited April 9
    Zenbane said:

Yes, agree, that is what I been saying - but that is what is happening. More titles are showing up on there and they can do that because they own most of market share. It's no different than NV doing weird shit too to control the market away from AMD products. Still, Non-Oculus devices still has access to them if they wish and they know that as well or else we still would have people fighting that. I mean we already threaten them as a community to still allow or we simply mask/steal software.

Hopefully though Valve will be able to steal or gain market share back in its favor and we have two competing stores again along with two HMD going head to head.
    Project 2501
    Mradr says:Hopefully though Valve will be able to steal or gain market share back in its favor and we have two competing stores again along with two HMD going head to head.

Absolutely: sony makes it the 3rd. The more competing the better it is for us all. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,307 Valuable Player
    Don't know that Rift S can go "head to head" with the Index.
    Maybe with the Reverb.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    inovator said:
    When you say many people are upset due to the debacle  (I guess you mean the disagreement on how much  the s will be  improved) and will move on to steam vr. You may find the many moving to steamvr for the reasons you state may be the minority. That we won't know for a period of time after the release. Maybe I'm wrong and your right but I think I'm strongly in the running.

You may be "strongly in the running" in your own mind, but SteamVR has always been more alluring for anyone who has been afraid in to being locked to a single ecosystem. Remember that if you buy a title on Oculus Home, you don't automatically get a Steam Key for the same game. Some developers give these out, but those are rare exceptions. What Rift-S has done is remind people that if you stick with an Exclusive Platform, there is always a chance that the Company will make a Hardware move that no longer suits your needs. So if you move to a competitor, your Software is stuck in that Exclusive Software.

Everyone moving away from the Oculus Rift and towards something like HP Reverb or Valve Index will face this challenge.

Also, you cannot be "strongly in the running" because Steam's VR numbers already show the Oculus Rift in the lead. So your arguments are based on pure personal inventory theory, not actual facts.

This discussion has been closed.