Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 26 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    I can see it being useful in social VR situations where hip-hop hand gesturing is a must. For example Tonedeff's Fast Finger Piano-playa gesture. Maybe Valve can code that into one of there games, homies.
    I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I have no idea what you're talking about Lol. I look forward to being able to give proper Metal Horns though. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    In other Valve news, VNN/Valve News Network seems pretty confident that the 3 Valve VR games are Half Life, Left 4 Dead, and a coop VR stealth game codenamed citadel. While that sounds all well and good, I won't care about them much if they're under 5 hours of gameplay.

I wonder what that means for the fan based HL2 VR mode

PS this fecking forum software.. once it decides my curser should be in the quote I can't get the damn thing out.

Easy fix, cut your response and delete the quote and press enter a few times in the box to make some blank lines. Click in the first line and then do quote again and you can move cursor out. Then just paste your comments back and then delete the extra lines. Yea forum sucks lol.  
    Thanks. This is not so bad on a pc but on a tiny phone (not a fan of phablets I like a pocket device) it is bloody murder
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    I personally cant wait to get my hands on the Index controllers and try to do irl stuff while wearing them.
     Hardware will always fail if it´s hard to get on / off. Hard to setup ( sensors !? ).

If people can't have a drink or masturbate while wearing "knuckels", they are doomed.
    Remind me never to use your "knuckles" without wearing rubber gloves ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited April 29
    I always press enter a couple of times before placing my quote in between these extra lines.
     That assures I wont get stuck in the quote box.

I will @bigmike20vt , just dont buy any used hardware if you see my nick present.
     But to be fair I always clean them properly with tissues "after use".
    Be good, die great !
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,794 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 29
    pyroth309 said:
    I can see it being useful in social VR situations where hip-hop hand gesturing is a must. For example Tonedeff's Fast Finger Piano-playa gesture. Maybe Valve can code that into one of there games, homies.
    I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I have no idea what you're talking about Lol. I look forward to being able to give proper Metal Horns though. 
    As a 50-somthing year old, I feel very close to the younger generation (in the hood) when giving them a yo gesture. Just need to work out if a middle finger response means something different in hip-hop. 
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    It's too bad Oculus beat them to the Marvel partnership;  imagine the immersion in a Spiderman game if you had to actually do the gesture to shoot webs.
    :wink:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 29
    CrashFu said:
    It's too bad Oculus beat them to the Marvel partnership;  imagine the immersion in a Spiderman game if you had to actually do the gesture to shoot webs.

Partnership for what? Far as I know - there really isn't a partnership - just they help to release the game for their store first. What would stop Valve to try and get a game from them instead? Plus Touch wouldn't allow you to do that - Index controllers would be more the gesture feature.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    edited April 29
    Any idea how and where valve host these kind of announcements. I doubt Facebook live 😀

ooo I want to try lone echo with 135 degree fov and vive resolution, then onto fully modded Skyrim drooooools
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    CrashFu said:

Partnership for what? Far as I know - there really isn't a partnership - just they help to release the game for their store first. What would stop Valve to try and get a game from them instead? Plus Touch wouldn't allow you to do that - Index controllers would be more the gesture feature.

So you took the word "partnership" and replaced it with the phrase "they helped"?? lol

That's not how Intellectual Property works. There was very much a partnership involved, and Marvel did more than just "help." I'm not even sure what you mean by "help" considering it was Sanzaru who did most of the heavily lifting.

There would be plenty in place preventing Valve from getting their own Marvel game, such as a non-compete clause which is quite common. You have not been playing anything in VR for a long time so you probably don't know that Marvel Powers United is being constantly updated with new content. Even this year. So Marvel is still presently very actively involved in this Oculus exclusive. Yet you think that Marvel would suddenly sign a contract to compete against themselves??

No dude.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    Any idea how and where valve host these kind of announcements. I doubt Facebook live 😀

Valve does advertise heavily on Facebook. Here's two of their FB pages:
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Zenbane said:

Valve does advertise heavily on Facebook. Here's two of their FB pages:

Yep, companies rarely engage in silo mentality if it means not using the best marketing tools at their disposal. There's a fare amount Facebook dislike in the forum (I'm no fan) but business is business.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,502 Valuable Player
    DaftnDirect said:

Yep, companies rarely engage in silo mentality if it means not using the best marketing tools at their disposal. There's a fare amount Facebook dislike in the forum (I'm no fan) but business is business.

The locked FB forums for the Steam_Dev community seems very vibrant. 
    I am interested @DaftnDirect on your take why there is so much dislike, is this the whole Steam moderation, or something else?  

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    DaftnDirect said:

The locked FB forums for the Steam_Dev community seems very vibrant. 
    I am interested @DaftnDirect on your take why there is so much dislike, is this the whole Steam moderation, or something else?  

I think a big part of why people dislike Facebook is just down to the way people sometimes (perhaps most times) use Facebook in a way that exhibits and exaggerates our human failings.... namely self-promotion and self-obsession. It's easier to focus dislike on the company that facilitates that behaviour rather than on the people who behave that way, it's harder to be critical of ourselves.

But if criticism of the company leads to additional scrutiny and removal of the worst kind of user, then criticism is a good thing.

There's also an element of pervasiveness that gives people a sense of loss of control or loss of choice (maybe that's the same thing), regardless of whether that sense is justified or not.

I think facebook and Valve are great, Free communication and great place to play and buy games, lots of sales and both heavily investing in VR. 

I am of course a simple soul.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,266 Valuable Player
    edited April 30
    So what time GMT are we likely to know what the Valve index specs are tomorrow?
    I am running a training course tomorrow damn it. I hope they have enough stock by the time I get to order.
    edited April 30
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    CrashFu said:

So you took the word "partnership" and replaced it with the phrase "they helped"?? lol

That's not how Intellectual Property works. There was very much a partnership involved, and Marvel did more than just "help." I'm not even sure what you mean by "help" considering it was Sanzaru who did most of the heavily lifting.

There would be plenty in place preventing Valve from getting their own Marvel game, such as a non-compete clause which is quite common. You have not been playing anything in VR for a long time so you probably don't know that Marvel Powers United is being constantly updated with new content. Even this year. So Marvel is still presently very actively involved in this Oculus exclusive. Yet you think that Marvel would suddenly sign a contract to compete against themselves??

No dude.
    Show me where they are partner in a way that any games made from Marvel are lock into the Oculus store then. I didn't say Marvel help - I said Oculus help - that could include but not limited to funding the game they made for the Oculus store, buying the rights for that game for the Oculus store, etc. That doesn't mean they are LOCK into the Oculus store though and as such is not a "partnership" by the same meaning. There for - Marvel could tomorrow release a game buy-able for on Steam store if they wish. They did NOT sell the IP of Marvel to Oculus. That would be 100% stupid on Marvel side:) They are NOT competing with themselves - they are just selling software. No one is competing other than the store themselves for rights to game titles. As such - the software stores are who need to lock customer into their store fronts - not the companies that make the games. Game companies could care less (short of sells rates) how they sell it or to whom. They just want as many customers using their software as possible so they make the most profit they can.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,573 Valuable Player
     CrashFu said:

While cool that sounds like a royal pain in the ass. :#
    WAAAGH!
    edited April 30
    Soo full bundle is 999$ - headset 499$
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,163 Volunteer Moderator
    120hz and 144hz experimental.....interesting 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

£919 no chance
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,574 Valuable Player
    edited April 30

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

'high resolution' and 'high frame rate' is a little non-comital (do they mean high refresh rate?). Controllers at £250 is a little steep. 

Yup and nope

Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    £919 no chance
    That I espected :lol
    Be good, die great !
    I like the design though.
    edited April 30
    The big cost being the controllers lol. You could setup both Oculus tracking and the Vive tracking at this point for cheaper than the new controllers cost XD 250$ for the pair is a big outrages.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    Huh. Steam page says "not available in your country." If it's 1000 USD for the bundle, then I'll pass anyway.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Wintermute
    edited April 30
    I like the design though.
    I definately agree. I hope I get a chance to try it out when it releases.

Be good, die great !
This discussion has been closed.