Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 39 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,943 Valuable Player
    So long story short, buy knuckles :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,234 Volunteer Moderator
    Ok, I did some testing, @Spuzzum is right, the tracking stops if the headset isn't moved, even if the proximity sensor is on. For me it took somewhere over 10min for it to stop 6DOF tracking, I've never left it that long doing 6DOF without the headset. I've used it with 3DOF longer, which is fine since that never stops if the controller is powered up.

That does spoil an aspect of the next project I'm going to work on.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited May 6
    Why not just send fake updates to the software making it look like it move very slightly back and forth? Or block the single saying it turn off there for nothing turns off? I would assume it's not at the headset level that makes this decision to turn it self off but the service api.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,234 Volunteer Moderator
    The problem is that the part making the decision is going to be the oculus service. We could send fake data to games, but tricking the service would require injecting fake usb data from the headset to simulate IMU movement.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,576 Valuable Player
    You crazy fools.

It's obvious how to solve the problem. Bloody idiots. Just duct tape the Rift to your body. Job done. B) :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    kojack said:
    Ok, I did some testing, @Spuzzum is right, the tracking stops if the headset isn't moved, even if the proximity sensor is on. For me it took somewhere over 10min for it to stop 6DOF tracking, I've never left it that long doing 6DOF without the headset. I've used it with 3DOF longer, which is fine since that never stops if the controller is powered up.

Actually, 10 minutes sounds right. It's been a while since I tried it, and I couldn't remember how long exactly.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    edited May 6
    Spuzzum said:
    kojack said:

Actually, 10 minutes sounds right. It's been a while since I tried it, and I couldn't remember how long exactly.

I thought of putting it in a backpack, but I think strapped to an oscillating fan should be enough. Literally just a flick of my finger was enough to wake it up. I just don't have a secondary headset to test it with yet.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,849 Valuable Player
    Ben has been doing a AMA regarding the 4 new HMD's, and amongst other things he comments some more on the god rays on the index.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/blfbpl/hi_again_roculus_ive_now_reviewed_or_previewed/
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    edited May 7
    'With that in mind; on Index god rays themselves don't look worse than your typical modern fresnel lens like what we see in Rift S and Quest. The original Rift does have more pronounced god rays if you look at it side by side with the newer Oculus headsets.

The thing I saw more than I was expecting on Index was internal reflections, the general scattering of light about the lenses, which can often come from bright objects in the periphery. This didn't strike me as being quite as sharp as the concentric circles seen through Vive / Vive Pro, but a bit more like a general glare. This effectively reduces the contrast of what you're looking at because it brightens what is behind the glare. Without a true side by side, or being able to test my own content, it's hard to quantify how it compares to other headsets, I only know that as someone who uses headsets many times per week, it stood out to my eyes as being bothersome at times.

Like most of these things, it was only overt in high contrast scenes (where you have bright areas near dark areas). Content which is on average bright or lower contrast isn't impacted as much.'

Does not look too serious to me. If god rays are the only issue then I am happy and it says the original Rift is actually worse. For me it was not an issue with the CV1. He also says it is comparable with the Rift S also.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,284 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 7
    Hmmmm, looks like someone needs a life - then again, maybe this time is the best, right now Index can be anything you can imagine - perfect lenses, 144 Hz, awesome sound, Revive works better than playing on the CV1, Knuckles are god-like controllers etc.
    Then the real world problems start when you get the Index, you can't get a good fit, got too close with your glasses and scratched one lens, one base station doesn't work, no output on the bloody display port - and when you get the damn thing running games are lagging and you just don't know why  :# :D

"I live for the Valve Index right now

Seriously, my only interest right now is the Index. The first thing I do in the morning is check this sub, still half asleep.

I don't know if I'm lazy, or depressed or whatever, but right now I go to work, go home (watch the new Game of Thrones episode on monday) eat something, force myself to go shower, then lay in bed browsing reddit or youtube until I fall asleep. Rinse and repeat.

I never have the energy to play something or do anything after work, on weekends just a bit more, but I mostly do the same if I don't have any plans to go out. Anyways, the point is, the Index is the only thing that I'm looking forward to in life. So thanks for that Valve. Now if I could only order it in my country, that'd be swell."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bl8tab/i_live_for_the_valve_index_right_now/

Now I got a life - I don't *cough!* check the Reddit Index sub several times each day... :blush:  :#

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I have been waiting since 2013 to be honest for the Index lol. Im F5ing youtube in case somebody posts an actual video of it.
    edited May 7
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'm sold ... again :) Although the guy has never tried either :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,757 Valuable Player
    If you have the budget have you looked at the XTAL headset? Out of my league but if I had the cash hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPY_XNpn08

Better off with the Varjo - i've tried both - one is mahoosive, one isn't.  Although one does have a huge FOV
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,757 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I can't even find a video on it let alone get a demo and I just signed up for a 1000 dollar headset lol.

lol well I recently bought a $2000 kitchen table! And that doesn't even include the chairs. fml

Price is fine as long as it is within your budget. My issue with all headsets right now (Pimax, Index, Rift-S) is that they are all so heavily focused on "trade-offs." The Rift has tracking trade-offs and Pimax/Index have design trade-offs (bulky as hell wands and knuckles).

If there was a headset out right now that had the following features, then I'd easily pay $2000-$3000:
    • The visual quality of the HP Reverb.
    • The external tracking power of the HTC Vive.
    • The sophisticated hand-controller design of Oculus Touch.
    • Full finger tracking of Knuckles.

But alas, all we get in 2019 is a poopoo platter buffet. I'm just going to enjoy the ongoing software releases (Defector, Stormland, etc) and wait until 2020 for some hopefully REAL hardware upgrade releases.

We'll get there eventually.  So, so close.    :s
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,576 Valuable Player
    Life? Don't talk to me about life. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to open a door.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,394 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Life? Don't talk to me about life. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to open a door.

Ignore him, he's just called to wash his head at us!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,023 Valuable Player
    What Graphics card do you reckon you need for the Valve index? I'm thinking you would get by with a Geforce 1080 given the CV1 did alright with a Geforce 970 at first. Or do you think it's going to require a Geforce 2080ti for games like Fallout 4 etc? 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,405
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    What Graphics card do you reckon you need for the Valve index? I'm thinking you would get by with a Geforce 1080 given the CV1 did alright with a Geforce 970 at first. Or do you think it's going to require a Geforce 2080ti for games like Fallout 4 etc? 
    I think you need at least a 1080ti
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,432
    Project 2501
    edited May 7
    RedRizla said:
    Depends, I bet it will work great with a 1080 at 90hz like the Vive Pro/O+ do. To get 120hz without the games looking like crap though, you will need more muscle than that. 
    pyroth309 said:
    RedRizla said:
    Depends, I bet it will work great with a 1080 at 90hz like the Vive Pro/O+ do. To get 120hz without the games looking like crap though, you will need more muscle than that. 

I don't know - I'm confident Flappy Flappy VR, Beat Saber and Vacation Simulator will fly on the Index using a GTX 1080 even in 144 Hz  :D About 50% of my games (and most apps) work in solid 90 fps on my CV1 ss 2.0, especially the PSVR ports often work perfectly.  

Seeking Dawn might be a different ballgame, but that game needs more than a 2080 Ti to fly  :#

I'm more worried about the lack of ASW 2.0 on the Index, I think I'm starting to notice ASW 2.0...

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,023 Valuable Player
    Do you get a 2 year warranty with Valve index in Europe? I'm edging towards getting one and a Geforce 2080Ti, but I'd like to think a £920 VR headset has a 2 year warranty.
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    Do you get a 2 year warranty with Valve index in Europe? I'm edging towards getting one and a Geforce 2080Ti, but I'd like to think a £920 VR headset has a 2 year warranty.
    If they sell it to you directly, it would be whatever your law says it has to be. They preface their warranty page with this.

AGREEMENT

LOCAL APPLICABILITY

IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER WHO LIVES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, THIS DOCUMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. INSTEAD, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THE STATUTORY WARRANTIES AND LEGAL RECOURSES PROVIDED BY YOUR HOME JURISDICTION.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,806
    Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:

According to this article the rift s like the rift has 95° fov. I alway read mixed opinion 100 105 etc. Oculus position has always been 110 fov. Any opinions. If it's less than 110 it would mean Oculus lied to us.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    edited May 7
    inovator said:
    RuneSR2 said:

According to this article the rift s like the rift has 95° fov. I alway read mixed opinion 100 105 etc. Oculus position has always been 110 fov. Any opinions. If it's less than 110 it would mean Oculus lied to us.
    That's not an article.  That's some random fanboy writing a biased comparison.

*edit* There's a lot of un-needed commentary, and their comparison lacks a lot of information (the so called expert didn't even mention the Index has various refresh rates - 80hz, 90hz, 120hz, 144hz. How could someone not mention that?). And they base their entire premise of Rift S based on WMR and PSVR headsets (seriously wtf?)
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Project 2501
    I stand corrected but there have been many opinions through the years that oculus wasn't 110. I'm not saying it's true but my Playstation vr feels no smaller and it's supposed to be 100. 
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    edited May 7
    inovator said:
    I stand corrected but there have been many opinions through the years that oculus wasn't 110. I'm not saying it's true but my Playstation vr feels no smaller and it's supposed to be 100. 
    Ya sorry I forgot to edit out your reply, that was directed at Rune's post.

Regarding FOV, I believe Oculus has 110 listed, but it's agreed by the community Rift CV1 falls between 90-100 (probably closer to 100).
    Similarly I was just playing PSVR today (Borderlands 2VR, since I'm Riftless until my S arrives) and the FOV feels the same as Rift.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Project 2501
    inovator said:

Regarding FOV, I believe Oculus has 110 listed, but it's agreed by the community Rift CV1 falls between 90-100 (probably closer to 100).
    Similarly I was just playing PSVR today (Borderlands 2VR, since I'm Riftless until my S arrives) and the FOV feels the same as Rift.
    OMG I'm also playing boarderlands 2 on PSVR I'm tired of moving furniture so I retired my Rift while waiting for my Rift S and quest. I think oculus has lied about the fov. If index is truly the fov they say, it can be even a greater difference than the  rift. I don't think oculus should have lied to us if the fov really is smaller than 110.
    Project 2501
    inovator said:
    inovator said:

OMG I'm also playing boarderlands 2 on PSVR I'm tired of moving furniture so I retired my Rift while waiting for my Rift S and quest. I think oculus has lied about the fov. If index is truly the fov they say, it can be even a greater difference than the  rift. I don't think oculus should have lied to us if the fov really is smaller than 110.
    Every headset I have tried so far has been less than the stated fov. For my face and using the ipd at the correct positioning, I get 95 degrees in my cv1. I get 105 in my Odyssey+. I don't have a way to actually measure my PSVR fov that I have seen. It feels a little wider than my Rift though but definitely not as wide as my Odyssey. Most people seem to agree the Vive is around 100 actual and if index is 20° wider than that actually we're looking at around a 120 degrees I would imagine

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,752 Valuable Player
    What I keep wondering is...  if you divide the resolution of a headset by its FoV, you essentially get the pixel fill, right?

IE the Index sounds impressive at a horizontal resolution of 2880, but divided by the alleged 130 FoV you get ~22 ..

But when you divide the Rift-S 2560 horizontal resolution by, let's say 100.. you get ~25.

So wouldn't that mean that the Rift-S theoretically has better visual quality than the Index, despite its lower FoV?  Kinda like watching a 1080p video on a tablet vs watching a 1080p video on a large TV?  (obviously not as extreme a difference, but same principle)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
This discussion has been closed.