Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 41 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,954 Valuable Player
    I got that date 3 hours after orders went live. I am pretty sure they are not accurate.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,327 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    But the shipping date is now August 31 

That's what date I got too, that's unbelievable! It feels like we're waiting a thousand years...lol  :'( o:)
    But that's a nice thing - we need some proper reviews before feeding Valve  ;) And there're not really any games I want to play on the Index right now, but if I can revive Asgard's Wrath in July that could be something  :o

BTW, Racket Fury just received an update - going to try it now - and this entire post was written on my virtual keyboard in Oculus Home  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,877 Valuable Player
    edited May 8
    Page 36 under a spoiler from Zenbane, very funny.

Morgrum said:
    ..... Sigh this is what I get for not going through an entire tread and just posting what I see on that last page....
    Just saw it.
    His was much better.

I liked yours too Morgrum. It was just missing the added Sexay.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    Hmm kind of telling how the Valve Index has the vast majority of  views and comments on the Oculus forums. Guess that is partly why they are backlogged now for so long.

I am not beating on Rift, I have a Rift S on order and holding out for a while before considering another headset. Just an interesting observation. Maybe Oculus will take notice.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    I’m just waiting for Zenbane to order an Index.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,811 Volunteer Moderator
    And I'm waiting patiently for you to admit to something or prove otherwise.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,045 Valuable Player
    edited May 9
    dburne said:
    Hmm kind of telling how the Valve Index has the vast majority of  views and comments on the Oculus forums. Guess that is partly why they are backlogged now for so long.

I am not beating on Rift, I have a Rift S on order and holding out for a while before considering another headset. Just an interesting observation. Maybe Oculus will take notice.

HP Reverb through the lens thread has had the same amount of views and it hasn't been up a day.
    edited May 9
    dburne said:

True but have you seen the number of new members? I think they already gambled that they would lose a lot of their original backers but pick up a lot more who are new to VR.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,050
    Wintermute
    edited May 9
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    But the shipping date is now August 31 

That's what date I got too, that's unbelievable! It feels like we're waiting a thousand years...lol  :'( o:)
    But that's a nice thing - we need some proper reviews before feeding Valve  ;) And there're not really any games I want to play on the Index right now, but if I can revive Asgard's Wrath in July that could be something  :o

BTW, Racket Fury just received an update - going to try it now - and this entire post was written on my virtual keyboard in Oculus Home  B)

You know the person that made that famous quote "Good things come to those who wait", well, I want to find this person (IN VR), and rip their arms and legs off! (Just like in Robo Recall) hehe  :p

EDIT: Racket Fury sounds good, I'll have to give that game a shot, I might get it tonight if it's not too expensive.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,050
    Wintermute
    True but have you seen thee number of new members? I think they already gambled that they would lose a lot of their original backers but pick up a lot more who are new to VR.

Where does it show how many members the forums has, and how many have recently joined?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited May 9
    dburne said:

It's not telling at all because it's simply untrue. The Valve Index thread does have high view and comment counts:
    15.3k views, 1.2k comments

But not when compared to every other thread talking about Rift-S and Quest. I mean, the Rift-S thread I created a few weeks ago has 11.3k views and 1.1K comments, and Techy's "I ordered a Rift-S/Quest" thread has 2.7k views and 103 comments, and the first 10 pages of the General Forum are practically flooded with Rift-S and Quest topics.

All together everything far exceeds this single Index discussion. We saw this with the Pimax thread as well. I think most of us simply have "topic fatigue" after discussing Rift-S and Quest for so long. Valve Index is the shiny new toy so sure, it will get some attention for awhile. And then it will likely fall in line next to Vive Pro and Pimax. Business as usual.

The only thing "telling" about non-Oculus product discussions getting high activity on an Oculus forum is that... this is the Internet and people love controversy. There are no other conclusions to draw from that. If I head over to the Steam forums or Pimax forums and started antagonizing those communities with pro-Oculus banter, I guarantee that I would get the most activity as well. Hardly telling of anything related to sales numbers.

True but have you seen thee number of new members? I think they already gambled that they would lose a lot of their original backers but pick up a lot more who are new to VR.

Where does it show how many members the forums has, and how many have recently joined?
    I'm not sure if it shows the actual New Member counts, but if you click on "Activity" you can see all the new member badges. The forum has been flooded with new members for months now. Which is great for the platform. And yeah, we'll probably see lots of original backers try some greener pastures for awhile.
    edited May 9

I'm still waiting for you to let the community know which VR HMD(s) you even own. This is my 3rd time asking you and I notice that you keep intentionally avoiding the question. I wonder why?
    ;)
    edited May 9

The old forum used to but this one does not. I was just looking at the number of new users in the Rift S / Quest threads. NOt everybody will be commenting either just looking.

@Techy111 do you know the number of members before and after launch?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,811 Volunteer Moderator
    Mate it changes so much on a daily basis so no, haven't got the foggiest.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:

I'm still waiting for you to let the community know which VR HMD(s) you even own. This is my 3rd time asking you and I notice that you keep intentionally avoiding the question. I wonder why?
    ;)

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,327 Valuable Player
    edited May 9

EDIT: Racket Fury sounds good, I'll have to give that game a shot, I might get it tonight if it's not too expensive.

It's an awesome game for masochists who love getting some serious spanking by robots in table tennis :blush:

BTW, after the patch I think the devs removed some shaders, now the game runs perfectly in 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 no matter the scenery (all settings maxed out, before only the scene with the giant planets gave me solid 90 fps). Nearly made me wonder why I pre-ordered the Index  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 9

I bet he owns a Vive, you can just tell! Vive owners are sneaky, never trust them around the cookie jar! hahaha  :p

I bet he owned the DK1 or DK2 first, then the Vive, then Pimax, and now planning in Index.
    ;)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,591 Valuable Player
    dburne said:

The only thing that Oculus will notice is the Rift S considerably outselling the Valve Index.

I'm not getting an Index because it's way too expensive, I'm not getting a Reverb because the tracking won't be good enough. I'm getting a Rift S because the price is right, it's a decent step up in visuals (just a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity) and the tracking is decent.

Oculus and especially Facebook are continually doing what's best for VR so they're getting my money. Valve are a bunch of wankers, so they're not lol. And I would have bought an Index if they hadn't taken the piss with their pricing too!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,757 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

I bet he owns a Vive, you can just tell! Vive owners are sneaky, never trust them around the cookie jar! hahaha  :p

I be he owned the DK1 or DK2 first, then the Vive, then Pimax, and now planning in Index.
    ;)

Nah mate.  Pretty sure he just watches youtube videos about them, opens up the Oculus Forums tab and vents.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute
    Does labo vr run youtube ?
    Be good, die great !
    edited May 9
    Spiteful YouTubers are all the rage, especially in VR. We have MRTV, SweViver, and even reputable folks like Tested to thank for that.

"I saw da YouTubes so I'm an expert and voting wif ma wallet."

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,591 Valuable Player
    He would end up getting The Scarlet Claw if he tried picking my little monster up lol  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    A post on the Steam forums suggests wantboard.ca. $1506.99 CAD plus tax, total for my province of BC comes to $1584.34 CAD. That's not too bad, seeing as $999 USD comes to $1345.27 CAD, plus 5% HST, and whatever % your province's PST. In BC, the total comes to $1506.27. So the broker's charging ~$80 for their service.

https://www.wantboard.ca/search?q=Valve iNDEX*&type=product
    edited May 10
    Sounds a bit dodgy how do you know you would get it?
This discussion has been closed.