Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 42 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,950 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    dburne said:
    Hmm kind of telling how the Valve Index has the vast majority of  views and comments on the Oculus forums. Guess that is partly why they are backlogged now for so long.

I am not beating on Rift, I have a Rift S on order and holding out for a while before considering another headset. Just an interesting observation. Maybe Oculus will take notice.

The only thing that Oculus will notice is the Rift S considerably outselling the Valve Index.

I'm not getting an Index because it's way too expensive, I'm not getting a Reverb because the tracking won't be good enough. I'm getting a Rift S because the price is right, it's a decent step up in visuals (just a notch below the Vive Pro in terms of clarity) and the tracking is decent.

Oculus and especially Facebook are continually doing what's best for VR so they're getting my money. Valve are a bunch of wankers, so they're not lol. And I would have bought an Index if they hadn't taken the piss with their pricing too!
    Of course in the same way a Ford Fiesta outsells Mustangs ;)

But if the price was the same as the Rift you would have bought it, simply because it is a better headset (Allegedly) . Although the half hearted altruistic comment on supporting Oculus at the end was a nice touch  :D 

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,540 Valuable Player
    edited May 10
    Worst outbreak ever!

WAAAGH!
    edited May 10
    Ah now you see Zenbane posted that pic but his had burning tassels :)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,443
    Project 2501
    edited May 10
    I ran across this on the Revive Discord and I already assumed this but it was nice to hear it from the dev himself. 

ClingingMars05/02/2019

@CrossVR is it possible to map Steam Index controllers as Touch controllers in Revive?

Dragoboss05/02/2019

You can basically bind any Touch features to Index Controllers, yes
    you'll not have Index's extra features, though.

May 3, 2019

CrossVR05/03/2019

@ClingingMars Yes, Valve has sent me knuckles before and I've provided bindings for them for a while
    @Dragoboss You won't get extra features beyond what the Oculus Touch offers, but since the Oculus Touch is kind of in between a Vive and an Index controller you'll get a much better mapping when using an Index controller.
    Nice to see that Index can indeed mirror Touch functionality. Is it June yet lol.
    edited May 12
    So no new news so I’m copying this link in again to help us stay strong https://youtu.be/2SI_3jlAV9M

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    No news today really - but a small Sunday movie "for those who wait"  o:) 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,809 Volunteer Moderator
    In 3D of course ;) lmao
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    Anyone have a time machine?  The 21st needs to move a little faster.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,034 Valuable Player
    Do you get a 2 year warranty with Valve index in the Europe?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Do you get a 2 year warranty with Valve index in the Europe?
    Yes, as far as I know.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,871 Valuable Player
    I stand corrected!
    Rock, Paper, Scissors

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Project 2501
    Maybe one day we'll get as advanced as PSVR :neutral:

edited May 12
    Don't fret Zenbane, you will still be able to enter the Rift Touch, Rock Paper Scissors tournament in the special Olympics.  :D
    RuneSR2 said:
    No news today really - but a small Sunday movie "for those who wait"  o:) 

Episode 2 ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Does seem nice.. 

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    Im impressed so far with a few more reviews that came out and if it had inside tracking I would buy it. But the rift s ease of use with at least some visual improvements makes me happy with my choice. The quest will be a bonus and some money left for a few games.
    Project 2501
    edited May 12
    RuneSR2 said:
    Does seem nice.. 

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I went for Index. It was designed from the ground up for comfort and for wearing it long periods of time. That means a lot to me and is worth some extra premium. The audio lifted off the ears were not only for better fidelity of sound and bass but for comfort as wearing ear phones for hours can irritate some peoples ears. The lenses were designed to be easier on the eyes and the straps and padding seem to be quality. Physical IPD is self explanatory and a larger sweet spot like the Rift was also a focus. And also Knuckles that strap to your hands reducing the fatigue of holding controllers for hours. All in all it should be a great all around experience.

For me, Knuckles finger tracking is just icing on the cake....icing that costs 280 f'n dollars.... 
    edited May 13
    inovator said:
    Im impressed so far with a few more reviews that came out and if it had inside tracking I would buy it. But the rift s ease of use with at least some visual improvements makes me happy with my choice. The quest will be a bonus and some money left for a few games.
    I am sure you will be pleased, Quest looks like an amazing bit of kit. 

I was watching tested where he said he turned off Guardian system and it let him walk the length of his house in game, even climbed the stairs and he also moved up inside the game above the VR scene. 

I would imagine if you found a large indoor space and played something like Orbus VR that would be incredible. YOu could go there with friends also.

Rift S versus Index ease of use though, I am not so worried about. Both are still tethered and the lighthouses just need an outlet, so not as much fuss as the Oculus Rift setup with USB extension cables etc.

Project 2501
    edited May 13
    inovator said:
    I am sure you will be pleased, Quest looks like an amazing bit of kit. 

I was watching tested where he said he turned off Guardian system and it let him walk the length of his house in game, even climbed the stairs and he also moved up inside the game above the VR scene. 

I would imagine if you found a large indoor space and played something like Orbus VR that would be incredible. YOu could go there with friends also.

Rift S versus Index ease of use though, I am not so worried about. Both are still tethered and the lighthouses just need an outlet, so not as much fuss as the Oculus Rift setup with USB extension cables etc.

Yep, I couldn't pass on the Quest and bought it as soon as preorders went up. I have a VR room so my Index will never move. If friends want to try it they need to come to my house which is a problem sometimes as I still have some that have never seen my Rift lol. The Quest though, I like that I can bring it anywhere and bring it to them, use it in my office, use it on vacation, use it at my family's house, and use it anywhere in my house that I want. Being untethered for some of those games is really going to be great. I said early on that i felt bargain wise the Quest was a no-brainer, that's a lot of tech you're getting for $399. 

As far as Rift-S, there's things I like about it and there's things I don't like about it. I think it's going to be great for most people though. For me, after using a CV1 and then an odyssey+... I wanted the best of both merged into a single headset and that's really what I feel the Index is and why I jumped in. 
    edited May 13
    If I wasn't shelling out so much for the index and a new PC would probably get one myself. Maybe once the throbbing in my wallet decreases.

I do go away fro business, so clear a few bits of furniture in the hotel room and bam instant VR goodness.

As mentioned before, whatever I spend on my next VR system my wife and daughter want a weekend away for just them to the same value. So I reckon I am up to 4000 pounds so far lol.

My Son (the other twin) he is more than happy with a new PC and headset so phew.

Wednesday still no news pfffft
    Project 2501
    Probably be the story until mid june lol
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,177
    Wintermute

Be good, die great !
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,402 Valuable Player
    ....Its really interesting to see two big players go in complete opposite directions in the VR market place. You have Oculus with the Rift-S focusing on mainstream adoption - with ease of use at the forefront of their [Lenovo] design. And Valve pushing the boundaries in specs, and targeting the enthusiast market.... 

He is not wrong there!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
This discussion has been closed.