New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    When revealing the upcoming Index headset, Valve was clear that their goal was to move the bar forward for VR fidelity, even if that meant a premium pricetag. The company said that its internal game developers working on “AAA VR content” pushed to VR hardware team to reach the fidelity they wanted.

Be good, die great !
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,195 Valuable Player
    edited May 19
    I just watched the West World 3 trailer, god I would like them to make Red Dead VR compatible.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    I just watched the West World 3 trailer, god I would like them to make Red Dead VR compatible.

Just finished Season 2

yes that would be something!
    My dream is when cyberpunk 2077 comes it is playable in some way
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    "There isn’t one single factor that makes this HMD great, it’s all of these things together that contribute,” a member of the VR hardware team said.
    This is what I have been saying all along and why I bought one. Pretty cool to actually hear that was the design goal.

Oh my god  :o
    Meanwhile in the index thread

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,914 Valuable Player
    edited May 23

The press is working hard just now ;) Here's a photo from Game Informer: 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 968
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:

Virtual Pee'ing on your shoes?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited May 23
    Better shot, click to enlarge, HMD looks quite awesome - like some kind of super-Rift..

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited May 23
    So box on floor, press just got theirs?

Headset looks a lovely quality product.
    RuneSR2 said:
    RattyUK said:

Virtual Pee'ing on your shoes?

I think he's with a virtual girl :blush:
    Lol that's what I was going to say, we might not want to know what he's looking at. 
    edited May 23
    Actually he is looking at a spider or a rock that looks a little like one, check out the screen :)
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does anyone know if the speakers can be removed if you want to use your own headphones?
    Yes I think you can there is a headphone jack. Although everybody has said the audio is fantastic.
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah I get that people say the audio is good but I prefer to use my Astro A40 TR headset.
    edited May 23
    Yeah I get that people say the audio is good but I prefer to use my Astro A40 TR headset.
    @Sandcracka Yes you can remove them link here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-near-field-off-ear-headphones-innovation/

'Spec wise, Valve claims the following on the speakers: “37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz – 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.” Also worth noting, if for some reason you hate Index’s headphones, they’re removable, and the headset includes a 3.5mm audio jack for plugging in your own.'
    This was cool too, a walk through the evolution of knuckles. 

edited May 25
    pyroth309 said:

I was just going to post that  :D Well, that video is just perfect for a nice Saturday History lesson!  o:)  

PS. Why is that dude wearing a hat? Is it cold? Is it some strange form of male fashion? Is he covering up some weird tattoo? Am I getting too old? - I easily worry these days, sigh...  ;)

edited May 25
    RuneSR2 said:
    Better shot, click to enlarge, HMD looks quite awesome - like some kind of super-Rift..

I think we're all wrong about what he's doing. Now I totally remember standing exactly like that every time I mentally tried to ready myself for another Doom VFR Cyberdemon battle  :D

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 823
    3Jane
    edited May 25
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

I was just going to post that  :D Well, that video is just perfect for a nice Saturday History lesson!  o:)  

PS. Why is that dude wearing a hat? Is it cold? Is it some strange form of male fashion? Is he covering up some weird tattoo? Am I getting too old? - I easily worry these days, sigh...  ;)
    To hide his bald head. :P

3 days
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

Thanks for sharing - that was a really interesting look at one side of the evolution of the Knuckles (INDEX Controllers). I think these are a revolution in the application of room-scale VR, no matter how some fain disinterest, I think these could take the next phase of VR adoption to a new level. The best being they are planned to be agnostic of hardware so even Oculus users should get their chance to use them.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,615 Valuable Player
    fain <> feign

The people that I know who have a lack of interest in Knuckles are not feigning (there's no such thing as "fain disinterest" btw), as they formulate their honest opinion from actual hands-on experience with VR Kits. As opposed to say, someone feigning expertise in the field of VR in order to act as if they can dismiss honest opinions.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited May 26

Yeah I think they are going to add a lot to immersion. They look pretty clumsy but I hope after a while it will just becomes second nature. 

Yeah I think they are going to add a lot to immersion. They look pretty clumsy but I hope after a while it will just become second nature. 

They work surprisingly well compared to what they look like - I think its the level of finger tracking that surprises users who suddenly become unaware of their bulk when using them. I was lead to believe at OC4 that there was a prototype Touch controller pair with enhanced finger tracking but it never saw the light of day.

Where many see Foveated Rendering and eye tracking as part of next-gen VR, a lot for us are also focused on detailed finger tracking and better tactility. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
This discussion has been closed.