New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,297
    Wintermute

What is the guy at the end hinting at? What game are they making?  :o
    Do you think valve subbed 2 games out (cloud head and bone works) and did one themselves? 

if it is cloudhead we will  get a brilliant game 2 hours long.

Yeah that is plausible to me, many many people online on YouTube etc believe Boneworks is working on the Half Life game because they've already made a fantastic sandbox with a Half Life feel to it and they have some of the Valve/Half Life assets. So would make sense to me.

I know this is all just speculation but it does get me excited.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Zenbane said:
    What is the guy at the end hinting at? What game are they making?  :o

Probably Part 3 of 'The Gallery.' I completed 1 & 2. They were decent.

Oh I loved those games too, I didn't complete the 2nd one but I got pretty far, I need to go back to it. That game has so much going for it, decent gameplay, graphics story etc, but did you guys notice how absolutely amazing the sound was? on my CV1 I remember thinking WOW! The sound just blew me away! Like they really put effort into amazing audio quality.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,747 Valuable Player
    I like how "2 hours" is now seen as an accomplishment for a game! I remember when we were lucky to get 4-6 hours.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Zenbane said:
    I like how "2 hours" is now seen as an accomplishment for a game! I remember when we were lucky to get 4-6 hours.
    How long was that Vadar Immortals game? Or was that just a tech demo?

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,232 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

That's more of an experience than a game, although it does have more content if you fancy doing all of the dojo stuff to be fair. But then, when are you ever fair with regards to anything Oculus, Atmos..?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    I enjoyed the Gallery 1 and 2 and to be fair the second one was a good bit longer. I think it took me like 3 or 4 hours compared to the 90 mins or something on the first one. I hope for even more in the 3rd.

Until VR takes off, it's kind of hard to be mad at small developers making short games to make the numbers work. They have to eat too. That said, if Valve infused them with cash and we still only get a 2 hour short game, can't say I'd be pleased lol. 
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 351
    Trinity
    I bought mine within the first 2 minutes, so I'm definitely in the first wave of shipping. :) 
    i7 X5960 @ 4200Mhz, 16GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
    Evileyes said:
    I bought mine within the first 2 minutes, so I'm definitely in the first wave of shipping. :) 
    Yea I was late and 18 minutes after. I hope I get mine by end of the month. It just sank in yesterday that I might have it in 3 weeks. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    If you ordered and they took your money you should be in the first wave I think it says ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 2019
    Techy111 said:
    If you ordered and they took your money you should be in the first wave I think it says ?
    Yep. They took my money, I was just saying since I'm at the end of the first wave, I'm probably gonna be one of the last to ship out. But you never know. The whole wave may go out together lol. 
    Wintermute
    So when are the first people getting their Valve Index? End of June?
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    By 28th but don't know when first will arrive although could be from 15th.
    So when are the first people getting their Valve Index? End of June?
    Supposedly

So after 3 years of trolling Oculus products, you're now using an Oculus Exclusive to justify a 2-hour Valve experience? You make me chuckle.
    pyroth309 said:
    I enjoyed the Gallery 1 and 2 and to be fair the second one was a good bit longer. I think it took me like 3 or 4 hours compared to the 90 mins or something on the first one. I hope for even more in the 3rd.

I beat them both, and if we're being honest... Part 2 was rather lame compared to Part 1. It was very lazily put together and involved a lot of repetition. I love Puzzle/Adventure games, but that one was damn lazy.
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Has anyone seen how much the pre-orders are going for on ebay?  2,500 bucks!
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:

I beat them both, and if we're being honest... Part 2 was rather lame compared to Part 1. It was very lazily put together and involved a lot of repetition. I love Puzzle/Adventure games, but that one was damn lazy.
    Fair enough. I did think the teleport mechanism and walking around time filling was lazy and the puzzles were all on the easy side but I still enjoyed it overall personally. 

Damn. I knew I shoulda bought 5 or 6 of them to resell lol.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,280 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:

Fair enough. I did think the teleport mechanism and walking around time filling was lazy and the puzzles were all on the easy side but I still enjoyed it overall personally. 

Damn. I knew I shoulda bought 5 or 6 of them to resell lol.

You can get mine for 2K now, soon it's 4K on eBay  B)

PS. Just joking, of course I'm not gonna sell my pre-order for less than 5K! (Or a really nice couch ;))

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Index-VR-Kit-June-28th-Preorder-Headset-2-Base-Stations-2-Controllers/163701507296

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    How the waiting time for the Index truly feels  <3

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 2019

Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:

I've never really played a game like that before, so I found it quite confusing and difficult. Most of the time I had no idea what to do, I even went to YouTube to try see what other people did to solve puzzles etc. I was cheating but I still couldn't do it sometimes lol.

I don't think I have the right mind for these type of games. (I'm just a yorkshire idiot who likes to shoot things haha)
    RuneSR2 said:
    Children of Abrash

(I think CV1 is in the front)

Seems like I'm not the only one saying that Index is a child of Abrash, like the CV1 and Rift-S ;) (hint: Index is the truck in the picture B) )

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    So what your saying is Index is the truck? Noisy diesel, smelly and slow ? Lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 2019
    Techy111 said:
    So what your saying is Index is the truck? Noisy diesel, smelly and slow ? Lol
     Yup, Index is 809g, Rift CV1 is 470g and Rift-S 600g. Now it's not completely irrelevant to note that the picture is showing some transformers ;) But yeah, the Index does have a lot of horsepower - and great fov, look how high the truck driver is placed above ground, what a great view! :D I don't think the Optimus Prime transformer truck is slow and smelly - but it is loud and makes a lot of sound, like very deep roaring bass sounds  B)  

pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:

It started off really strong, but the ending story got really weird for me. That monster baby thing was kinda gross (lol) and I didn't expect the story to go that way considering how strong the first one ended. The puzzles began great, but then it relied so much on walking back and forth between the same locations; which is where it started to feel very lazy.

In contrast, the First Episode had the player continuously moving forward and experiencing new locations with a great climax.

I plan to buy Episode 3 of course, I'd like to see how the story ends. I just hope that they make it more like the first and not so much like the second.

RuneSR2 said:

This video and the Tweet for Arizona Sunshine are showing that the extra 2 fingers are being "tracked," but not in any meaningful way. There's nothing that they are doing that impacts what's actually being done in the software. Wiggling your fingers while holding a bow isn't an actual bow shooting strategy! lol

Unless I missed something... there's literally only one VR App that takes full advantage of tracking all 5 fingers: Rock, Paper, Scissors.

And based on the news I recall when Knuckles were first announced, Episode 3 of 'The Gallery' is the closest to a high-end experience that will be built for Knuckles. Although now that Portal game is being revealed so that may help; but no release date.

I'm keeping a close eye on both Rift-S and Index, but so far I haven't seen anything overly compelling one way or the other.
This discussion has been closed.