New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,232 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    So what your saying is Index is the truck? Noisy diesel, smelly and slow ? Lol

I took that to mean something that you can use to pick up prostitutes and serial kill them on the road. But a Quest would be better for that, surely?  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,232 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:

This video and the Tweet for Arizona Sunshine are showing that the extra 2 fingers are being "tracked," but not in any meaningful way. There's nothing that they are doing that impacts what's actually being done in the software. Wiggling your fingers while holding a bow isn't an actual bow shooting strategy! lol

Unless I missed something... there's literally only one VR App that takes full advantage of tracking all 5 fingers: Rock, Paper, Scissors.

And based on the news I recall when Knuckles were first announced, Episode 3 of 'The Gallery' is the closest to a high-end experience that will be built for Knuckles. Although now that Portal game is being revealed so that may help; but no release date.

I'm keeping a close eye on both Rift-S and Index, but so far I haven't seen anything overly compelling one way or the other.

What Portal game? Have I missed something?!!?!? :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:

This video and the Tweet for Arizona Sunshine are showing that the extra 2 fingers are being "tracked," but not in any meaningful way. There's nothing that they are doing that impacts what's actually being done in the software. Wiggling your fingers while holding a bow isn't an actual bow shooting strategy! lol

Unless I missed something... there's literally only one VR App that takes full advantage of tracking all 5 fingers: Rock, Paper, Scissors.

And based on the news I recall when Knuckles were first announced, Episode 3 of 'The Gallery' is the closest to a high-end experience that will be built for Knuckles. Although now that Portal game is being revealed so that may help; but no release date.

I'm keeping a close eye on both Rift-S and Index, but so far I haven't seen anything overly compelling one way or the other.
    There's a few that do some things with them but those two fingers aren't going to add substantive game play to many situations. I think it's more about immersion and social stuff. I've seen some creative uses of the finger tracking in those social games but nothing that screams must have. For me it's just a cool to have feature as I do a lot of communicating with one finger and I do like to give horns lol.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    Techy111 said:

Didn’t you buy the HP Reverb lol
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,280 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:

There's a few that do some things with them but those two fingers aren't going to add substantive game play to many situations. I think it's more about immersion and social stuff. I've seen some creative uses of the finger tracking in those social games but nothing that screams must have. For me it's just a cool to have feature as I do a lot of communicating with one finger and I do like to give horns lol.

Agreed, it's more to support immersion. Most of us could survive without pinky, but personally I'd rather not, lol.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,747 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019

Techy111 said:

Didn’t you buy the HP Reverb lol

Yep, he did. And managed to remain himself. Crazy, huh? lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    pyroth309 said:

Giving Horns > All Things

I do think that there is some great experiences to be had with 5-finger tracking. They just haven't arrived yet! Or so it seems. Some ideas I look forward to:
    • Anything that involves "typing." The worlds of Deus Ex and Technolust are great examples. Being a "computer hacker" requires using all your fingers.
    • Fighting simulations. Everything from boxing to martial arts. How you position your fingers will greatly impact your ability to "strike" in a real life fight; so this should translate well to 5-finger tracking in VR.
    We're probably 1-2 years off before we can see this type of thing in a quality VR Game. But I have no doubt that it's coming!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Not forgetting gripping the control column in DCS and really using your pinky on the pinky switch  :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 2019

A bit sad but did anybody see the latest minecraft earth video? I wonder if the colour cameras could be used with games like that?
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18650201/minecraft-earth-demo-apple-wwdc-2019-microsoft

edited June 2019
    Seems like the devs behind Arizona Sunshine are about to present their biggest VR game yet - in 5 days... Teaser website:

https://fwdtothepast.com/

Quote from newsletter from Vertigo Games: "Keep your ice peeled as we drop some frozty hints leading up to the reveal of our biggest VR game yet on 10 / June / 2019 @ 9PM PST / 12PM EST / 6PM CEST" 

:o 

More here: https://uploadvr.com/vertigo-games-tease/

I bet the game will support Knuckles ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like the devs behind Arizona Sunshine are about to present their biggest VR game yet - in 5 days... Teaser website:

https://fwdtothepast.com/

Quote from newsletter from Vertigo Games: "Keep your ice peeled as we drop some frozty hints leading up to the reveal of our biggest VR game yet on 10 / June / 2019 @ 9PM PST / 12PM EST / 6PM CEST" 

:o 

I bet the game will support Knuckles ;)

Yeah I saw that. Considering they patched index controller in for Arizona sunshine I bet it will too

Forward to the past hmmm oh I wish it’s a west world cowboy game 😀
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

Index headphones are so good... compared to Quest and Rift S it’s like the difference between a 4:3 SDTV and a 16:9 HDTV. The floating design is also genius. You don’t even know you’re ‘wearing’ headphones.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    That's nice, thanks Atmos
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

Index headphones are so good... compared to Quest and Rift S it’s like the difference between a 4:3 SDTV and a 16:9 HDTV. The floating design is also genius. You don’t even know you’re ‘wearing’ headphones.

Yeah, but then I can hear the nagging wife and/or the kids fighting :# With CV1 I'm completely alone <3, it could be WW3 outside and I'd never notice :D

Jokes aside that's great news for the Index. 

edited June 2019
    Forward to the past hmmm oh I wish it’s a west world cowboy game 😀

I just visualized myself riding on my T-Rex, but to each his own I guess B)

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,297
    Wintermute
    pyroth309 said:

Yeah I agree, seriously it really winds me up and pisses me off when after three years you play a new VR game and the developers have added the worse hands they could possibly find????

It's like come on devs!!! Don't be lazy!!! Use advanced hands in all your games. I was playing FORM last night and that's a puzzle game where you have to use your hands to move small objects and all I've got is these big clunky hands that don't move properly!!! It's so stupid!

Oculus needs to make it mandatory to devs to use advanced hands in all games.

Do you guys agree? Does it annoy you too? Especially in puzzle games, why would you not let us have advanced hands which use all the fingers?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

Compared to CV1 Ben Lang said that the Index is "better, but not such a huge leap as compared to the audio-pipe headsets."

https://twitter.com/benz145/status/1136385077892358145

Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

Compared to CV1 Ben Lang said that the Index is "better, but not such a huge leap as compared to the audio-pipe headsets."

That’s it I’m cancelling. 
    RuneSR2 said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

That’s it I’m cancelling. 

My used CV1 is now $850. It's all about sound  o:)

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,161 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

HD TV versus 4.3 TV. That's a visual comparison of the display. not that big of a visual leap. Kind of silly.

Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

You think everything is better than an Oculus product though, so doesn't count for much. I mean... you even think your Pimax 8K is giving you 4K per eye, despite math and science telling you otherwise!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

You think everything is better than an Oculus product though, so doesn't count for much. I mean... you even think your Pimax 8K is giving you 4K per eye, despite math and science telling you otherwise!
    I didn’t realise you thought I was Ben from RoadtoVR.
    Zenbane said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

I knew you were quoting him. More like... Ben's Parrot.
    :p
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    Zenbane said:
    Ben Lang from RoadtoVR

I knew you were quoting him. More like... Ben's Parrot.
    :p
    Dont bring me into your Angry Birds fascination. 
This discussion has been closed.