New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    r/ValveIndex is born:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/

Some nice stuff from my first sightseeing tour:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know why but it's posting my comment in your quote lol.

I managed to scan the QR code on the front of the headset and it turned up something fascinating.  A number:
    1213977778783.  I googled this number but it did not turn up anything.  What can this number mean?

• phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    I'm going with this altered sensor usage image. Sorry for the potato lines.

Alternate link https://imgur.com/ch386Zz
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,020 Volunteer Moderator
    Sandcracka said:
    I managed to scan the QR code on the front of the headset and it turned up something fascinating.  A number: 1213977778783.  I googled this number but it did not turn up anything.  What can this number mean?
    Most likely a serial number or part number. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    snowdog said:
    Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) :D

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!
    Oh my ... Falling Down. One of my favorite movies for sure.
     That scene is hillarious !

You should all watch it !!

Seen it many times, great flick. They don't make films like that anymore.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    edited March 31
    nalex66 said:
    Sandcracka said:
    I managed to scan the QR code on the front of the headset and it turned up something fascinating.  A number: 1213977778783.  I googled this number but it did not turn up anything.  What can this number mean?
    Date of arrival ?
     I love speculating, but seriously.
    Be good, die great !
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    KlodsBrik said:
    nalex66 said:
    Sandcracka said:
    Date of arrival ?
     I love speculating, but seriously.
    December Thirteenth, 2097.  Followed by the phone number to Valve's customer service department.   Sounds about right. :smile:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,112 Valuable Player
    Ah!! no customer service numbers.Don't get me started.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/b7vcow/new_icon_for_valve_index/

Someone captured the Index Icon. That's only showing the two forward cameras, knuckles and light house 2.0. 
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    pyroth309 said:

Someone captured the Index Icon. That's only showing the two forward cameras, knuckles and light house 2.0. 
    I'm really hoping the Valve Index will have hybrid tracking. 
    edited March 31
    pyroth309 said:

I'm really hoping the Valve Index will have hybrid tracking. 

I'm skeptical that it willl based on how the cameras are installed. Unless there's some other trickery Valve is using, the tracking coverage will be quite poor with the way the cameras are. I think it's for passthrough and maybe some AR. 
    edited March 31
    There is one last thing and I'm done reading news for the day . 

This guy did a bunch of digging on those prototype shots and discovered some interesting things. He found  BOE and JDI markings. BOE has been pushing flexible screens. IE phones that can fold the screen in half to double as a tablet when you unfold it. JDI has been specializing in curved screen tech.

He also zoomed in and noticed that it's using Slimport ANX7530 HD receiver from Analogix which states that it supports 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 at up to HBR 2.5 speeds meaning the Index will have 27Gbps of bandwidth. A single 4k 60hz screen requires about 12 Gbps for reference possibly indicating high res screens. The pimax 5k+ has two 2560x1440 displays at 90hz and require 7.4Gbps each.
    He also pretty much confirmed Dual Fresnel lenses. 

Given the amount of tech in this thing, Valve would probably have to subsidize a hefty amount for this thing to even be 700 bucks. It's looking like Rift-S is going to be the entry level and Valve is going to destroy the top end for now. 

There's a lot more info here.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/b7x7ws/some_more_valve_index_findings/
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,914 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

This guy did a bunch of digging on those prototype shots and discovered some interesting things. He found  BOE and JDI markings. BOE has been pushing flexible screens. IE phones that can fold the screen in half to double as a tablet when you unfold it. JDI has been specializing in curved screen tech.

He also zoomed in and noticed that it's using Slimport ANX7530 HD receiver from Analogix which states that it supports 4 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 at up to HBR 2.5 speeds meaning the Index will have 27Gbps of bandwidth. A single 4k 60hz screen requires about 12 Gbps for reference possibly indicating high res screens. The pimax 5k+ has two 2560x1440 displays at 90hz and require 7.4Gbps each.

Given the amount of tech in this thing, Valve would probably have to subsidize a hefty amount for this thing to even be 700 bucks. It's looking like Rift-S is going to be the entry level and Valve is going to destroy the top end for now. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/b7x7ws/some_more_valve_index_findings/

Agreed, Knuckles and lighthouses look expensive too, I might have to up my estimate of 599. Then again, MS and Sony initially lose money on each new generation of consoles, but I'm not sure Valve is ready to play that game... Oculus has learned their lesson producing expensive HMDs, HTC seems struggling to get it... Interesting what Valve will do...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    edited March 31
    I hope  VALVE will not make sour the deal with Horrendous HTC like pricing. I really can't find the reason to buy HTC Vive Focus neither against Quest nor even Go, even Focus Plus.
    Nexus 6
    snowdog said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    Im hyped for sure, love the adrenaline rush !
     But the most likely outcome is we will get dissapointed.. lol

Reminds me of Falling Down and the excellent McDonalds scene (yes, I know it isn't a McDonalds place by name but we know what it's supposed to be lol) :D

One of my favourite films, I might have to watch that again now!
    Please see link below...

What you see in advertisement actually cant eat..(its way beyond human consumption quality) 

edited March 31
    Dilip said:
    I hope  VALVE will not make sour the deal with Horrendous HTC like pricing. I really can't find the reason to buy HTC Vive Focus neither against Quest nor even Go, even Focus Plus.

My main thing about headsets is the Value. Is what you are giving me worth the cost? So far, if all of this speculation is true, it's going to have to be pretty pricy for me not to grab it lol. I'm hoping it's not Vive Pro crazy is all. 
    edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

Agreed, Knuckles and lighthouses look expensive too, I might have to up my estimate of 599. Then again, MS and Sony initially lose money on each new generation of consoles, but I'm not sure Valve is ready to play that game... Oculus has learned their lesson producing expensive HMDs, HTC seems struggling to get it... Interesting what Valve will do...

The good news is the cost of Light house 2.0 were cut by like 60% from 1.0. $140 to $60 OEM were the last numbers I heard last year. I have no idea what Knuckles will cost. Considering the Reverb is going to cost 599 and most of that cost is the HMD and the Rift-S at 399. I'm thinking 699-899. I'll be ecstatic with less. I think anything above 899 is going to relegate it to niche of a niche lol. 
    edited March 31
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

The good news is the cost of Light house 2.0 were cut by like 60% from 1.0. $140 to $60 OEM were the last numbers I heard last year. I have no idea what Knuckles will cost. Considering the Reverb is going to cost 599 and most of that cost is the HMD and the Rift-S at 399. I'm thinking 699-899. I'll be ecstatic with less. I think anything above 899 is going to relegate it to Niche of a niche lol. 

Trying to regain some faith I played Lone Echo ss 2.0 for something like an hour last night - and it was nearly as awesome as ever. Nearly because I notice the SDE much more now than when I played it in 2017. But fps were great even though I often got 45 asw - didn't really notice that, felt like 90. Rift-S is probably going to be quite awesome for most users, so even though the Index may provide some true next-gen stuff, setting the price much above Rift-S might be a great problem for Valve. I might pay 50% more for an awesome Dead Citadel experience, but 100%... Hmmmm.... (And of course there's Valve's 3 VR games surprise pool bomb)... And the average Steam user does not have a 2080 (Ti), more like 1060 or worse...  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited March 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    Trying to regain some faith I played Lone Echo ss 2.0 for something like an hour last night - and it was nearly as awesome as ever. Nearly because I notice the SDE much more now than when I played it in 2017. But fps were great even though I often got 45 asw - didn't really notice that, felt like 90. Rift-S is probably going to be quite awesome for most users, so even though the Index may provide some true next-gen stuff, setting the price much above Rift-S might be a great problem for Valve. I might pay 50% more for at great Dead Citadel experience, but 100%... Hmmmm.... (And there's Valve's 3 games bomb)... And the average Steam users does not have a 2080 (Ti), more like 1060 or worse...  
    I was actually going to comment on the steam target audience but didn't want to type a novel.. I'll do a quick summary. I would expect Valve to try to go after the 35% of Vive users that are still using the OG vive. It would be smart to get as close to that as possible which still sells for $499. Conversely, the Vive Pro makes up 0.02% of VR users...so going too high is going to meet a similar fate. 

Then you have those who haven't jumped in VR yet. 62.07% of their platform...are still gaming in 1080p lol. Only 1.46% are in 4k (I feel special now lol), and around 4.7% are in 1440p. 13% are still in 768p...

I show about roughly 5.5% of their survey users have at least a 1080 or RX Vega 64 or better. Steam has around 100 million monthly users so you're looking at a maximum of 5 million to potentially sell to currently but less than half will even consider it. Pretty tight margins. 

So yea, it's going to be interesting. 

• bags1911bags1911 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I think the name “index” is a double entendre for the Knuckles finger tracking as will as native pupil tracking.

I firmly believe this will launch with eye tracking. It makes sense considering the FOV size that is being speculated. This would allow use of foveated rendering to utilize that FOV without having enormous system requirements to render it. Also, HTC is already bringing this tech to market. 
    edited March 31
    People standing in line for 2 hours to play Asgard's Wrath more or less confirms how important the software is. My personal guess is that most of these persons waiting don't care much about the HMD, they want to experience the game - and Oculus is more or less dominating VR regarding awesome upcoming titles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b7sdnq/2_hour_line_to_play_asgards_wrath_on_rift_s_at/

Of course Valve knows that. The last thing Valve wants is probably a HMD that sells 50% better than Vive Pro - like 0.03 % of VR users ;) It'll be very interesting to find out exactly how Valve will enter the VR battle arena... 

RuneSR2 said:
    People standing in line for 2 hours to play Asgard's Wrath more or less confirms how important the software is. My personal guess is that most of these persons waiting don't care much about the HMD, they want to experience the game - and Oculus is more or less dominating VR regarding awesome upcoming titles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b7sdnq/2_hour_line_to_play_asgards_wrath_on_rift_s_at/

Of course Valve knows that. The last thing Valve wants is probably a HMD that sells 50% better than Vive Pro - like 0.03 % of VR users ;) It'll be very interesting to find out exactly how Valve will enter the VR battle arena... 
    Yea I saw that. Since Knuckles are so close to the Touch, Revive should be able to play those flawlessly as well, so there's that factor and Vice Versa for Rift users playing on SteamVR. 
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said: more like 1060 or worse...  
    I consider my self occasional gamer, i do have 1060 3gb only..most games i  play fair enough with this..VR may not.
    Nexus 6
    pyroth309 said:
    Then you have those who haven't jumped in VR yet. 62.07% of their platform...are still gaming in 1080p lol. Only 1.46% are in 4k (I feel special now lol), and around 4.7% are in 1440p. 13% are still in 768p...

I show about roughly 5.5% of their survey users have at least a 1080 or RX Vega 64 or better. Steam has around 100 million monthly users so you're looking at a maximum of 5 million to potentially sell to currently but less than half will even consider it. Pretty tight margins. 

This whole resolution thing has interesting angle...from my point of view resolution matters when the artist actually made details over those many pixels. if the original art was made for 1920X1080 then drawing it over 3840 x 2160 is just increasing viewable area not adding too much value. so unless game made from ground for 4K packing details that actually span over 3840 x 2160 where if you play it 1080 is dumb down the picture is only the case where 4K matters. upscaled 4k is just non sense.
    edited April 1
    Dilip said:
    pyroth309 said:

This whole resolution thing has interesting angle...from my point of view resolution matters when the artist actually made details over those many pixels. if the original art was made for 1920X1080 then drawing it over 3840 x 2160 is just increasing viewable area not adding too much value. so unless game made from ground for 4K packing details that actually span over 3840 x 2160 where if you play it 1080 is dumb down the picture is only the case where 4K matters. upscaled 4k is just non sense.
    No disagreement here. You need high res textures but there's plenty of games out that are 4k from the ground up nowadays and only 1.5% are even seeing it. Some of that is choice because it's a disadvantage in competitive gaming for example to run above low settings and 1080p . Some of those guys are playing on 2080TI's like that and pushing for 240 fps. 
    Nexus 6
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,150 Valuable Player
    It maybe the coffee talking but for the first time in years I am actually excited. 

Edit: Sorry my mistake it was the Viagra :)

Because of my diabetes I can get Viagra for free!!! A mate of mine 15 years or so ago wanted me to go to my doctor and get some so that we could split the takings but I wasn't prepared to go to my doctor and tell them I have a Mr Floppy problem lol  :o:D

And just for the record I still don't need it just in case @vannagirl was wondering!!!! B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,056 Valuable Player
    edited April 1
    It maybe the coffee talking but for the first time in years I am actually excited. 

Edit: Sorry my mistake it was the Viagra :)
    :D:D:D
  • logotomielogotomie Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    rumored resolution is 1913x2125 per eye

things are getting interesting. Lets see what kind of screen it is.
    ...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

This discussion has been closed.