New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    logotomie said:
    rumored resolution is 1913x2125 per eye

things are getting interesting. Lets see what kind of screen it is.
    ...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

Is this good or bad??
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

...if i just had faith in valve building hardware, so far they constantly failed in that department....

Is this good or bad??
    If the resolution is that high...RIP Reverb lol...but also Rip everyone's GPU unless they have foveated rendering or something.

*edit* I'm not serious about the last part lol.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,227 Valuable Player
    If it requires another gpu as well there is a chance I won't get it until prices come down.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??
    If the resolution is that high...RIP Reverb lol...but also Rip everyone's GPU unless they have foveated rendering or something.

I dont think the render is res is that high - Most people are saying that matches the current Vive Pro right now and others are saying it matches a higher res screen from BOA, but still lower res than target.
    edited April 2019
    Mradr said:
    pyroth309 said:
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??

I dont think the render is res is that high - Most people are saying that matches the current Vive Pro right now and others are saying it matches a higher res screen from BOA, but still lower res than target.
    Yea the GPU comment was tongue in cheek. It's all speculation until we see the official specs.
    edited April 2019
    Good thing intel has our back guys: https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-unleashed-gpu-lineup-leaked-xe-power-2-flagship-graphics-card-roadmap-and-more/

WccftechIntel Xe 2 GPU
    Process107nm (Intel)
    Architecture Xe
    Stream Processors12288 (6144 x2)
    Core Clock (Boost)1600 MHz (2718 MHz)
    Memory32 GB 4D XPoint
    Bandwidth 8 TB/s
    Peak Performance66.8 TFLOPs
    Die Size600mm2 (x2)
    GPU TypeMCM
    InterconnectUnknown (TSV based)
    Feature LevelDirect3D 14_2
    TDP350W
    Power Connectors3x 8-pin
    Expected MSRP$699 (TBC)
    Launch6/31 2020

(BTW - this is a joke - just encase someone really believes this XD)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,165 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Also RIP my wallet. 
    I reckon now the devs might actually have to get their shit together and use all the tricks in the book to properly optimize their PCVR titles, to make them run MINIMUM half the panel refresh rate.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited April 2019
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Also RIP my wallet. 
    I reckon now the devs might actually have to get their shit together and use all the tricks in the book to properly optimize their PCVR titles, to make them run MINIMUM half the panel refresh rate.
    This is why it's fake and no one really knows xD I can see it being Vive Pro res (maybe they went in as a deal with HTC) - or even a little higher - but short of that - I have a hard time seeing them go much higher then Reverb without eye tracking. I mean they also have a increase in FOV that already going to be more demanding anyways:) That be nuts!

I mean it is possible - dual layer screens with one screen adding as sub pixels to another screen - it doesn't increase resolution (unless you want it to) - but it does increase pixel fill rate much like RGB vs Pentile layouts. Yet, I don't think they know how to make something like that let alone tell/give information to a screen maker to produce such a screen:) It's a neat idea if anything if you compare that to the logo too. 
  • logotomielogotomie Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2019
    pyroth309 said:
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??

Its about as high as the hp reverb, so its good (minus missing info on whether its pentile.)

If the quest is reasonable at 1/10th or lower the rendering power of the min spec for cv1, why should it RIP the GPU, in the worst case you will not fully utilizing the resolution. HP demoes the 2kx2k reverb with a card slower than the 1080.
    Also intelligent Lens design can potentially lower the distortion.

Speaking of Lenses: having a double lens design could allow the construction of an achromatic lens, further lowering the color fringing issues. 
    logotomie said:
    pyroth309 said:
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??

Its about as high as the hp reverb, so its good (minus missing info on whether its pentile.)

If the quest is reasonable at 1/10th or lower the rendering power of the min spec for cv1, why should it RIP the GPU, in the worst case you will not fully utilizing the resolution. HP demoes the 2kx2k reverb with a card slower than the 1080.

Speaking of Lenses: having a double lens design could allow the construction of an achromatic lens, further lowering the color fringing issues. 
    I was joking about the GPU. HP's minimum spec is a 1080 which I have so I'm sure I can power it enough to play on it. Will it be a great experience on a 1080 is the question. With the Index, I don't know enough about this screen tech to say one way or the other with certainty. There's always supersampling down to 0.5 also.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    edited April 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    "From leaks, rumors, and speculation, here's what we know:
    • 135-degree FoV

OMG, 135 FOV, I'd be in heaven! 

This changes all my plans as I was originally planning on buying Quest and Rift S but now I think Quest + Valve Index seems more likely. :smile:

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.
    • Do you guys reckon that Valve will have designed decent lenses to match Oculus lenses and have zero god rays?
    • Regarding the new lenses that Oculus uses for GO, Quest, Rift S, do those lenses belong to Oculus which means all these different companies have to design their own lenses or do they share lenses from the same manufacturer?
    • And my last question is, when is the next VR event coming up, is there something going on in May as they said the release date is May? And do you think we will get further announcements throughout April regarding specs and games or we'll just have to wait for May press conference?
    Thanks in advance! I'm very excited!!! :)

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited April 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    • 135-degree FoV

This changes all my plans as I was originally planning on buying Quest and Rift S but now I think Quest + Valve Index seems more likely. :smile:

• Do you guys reckon that Valve will have designed decent lenses to match Oculus lenses and have zero god rays?
    • Regarding the new lenses that Oculus uses for GO, Quest, Rift S, do those lenses belong to Oculus which means all these different companies have to design their own lenses or do they share lenses from the same manufacturer?
    • And my last question is, when is the next VR event coming up, is there something going on in May as they said the release date is May? And do you think we will get further announcements throughout April regarding specs and games or we'll just have to wait for May press conference?

1) We don't know - possible - and very likely they are. If rumors are correct though - it should be a pretty clear lenses with a large sweet spot and less color distortion. 
    2) They belong to Oculus - they tell the manufacturer how to make them to order - but that is the only thing that manufacturer can do. I am sure they're under gag orders to never talk about how they are made.
    3) VR news can happen any time. Oculus next will be next October unless they feel the need to come out to some x event to talk about something.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,471 Volunteer Moderator
    Mradr said:

The O is the Oculus:))
    Wait, they've put a choking hazard warning on a cereal box?
    Oh ok it's for the toy.

Do these things make your shit purple? that would be more fun than a plastic toy imho.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
    edited April 2019
    lol I saw that when we went up to comic con this weekend xD it's a gift that keeps on giving if you know what I mean ;P
    pyroth309 said:
    logotomie said:
    pyroth309 said:
    vannagirl said:
    logotomie said:

Is this good or bad??

I was joking about the GPU. HP's minimum spec is a 1080 which I have so I'm sure I can power it enough to play on it. Will it be a great experience on a 1080 is the question. With the Index, I don't know enough about this screen tech to say one way or the other with certainty. There's always supersampling down to 0.5 also.
    How much meaning does min.spec. have on WMR devices?
    I understand Oculus can do it for apps in their own store with their own HMD, but HP has fuck all influence on Steam titles that support WMR.
    edited April 2019
    Not sure how much minimum spec means to be honest, never been at minimum spec for WMR. You can supersample and change render target. WMR also has its own version of ASW as well. It's kind of experimental but it works pretty well. Revive I'm less certain of what you can do with the oculus games but I haven't felt the need to do anything as just supersampling it looks good. I've never been under like 140% on my Odyssey
    Afaik Oculus enforces that you should be able to play ANY Rift title on the store with a min.spec. rig running at least 45fps (with ASW) using the right settings. 
    That MEANS something - and it played a part in them not upping the default render target for the Lenovo.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,297 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    • 135-degree FoV

1) It'll probably have decent lenses.

2) Generally lenses are bespoke ones, unique to each brand of headset, so unless we're talking about WVR headsets which share the specs from Microsoft's licence Valve would have designed lenses specifically for their Index headset.

3) Well the next thing that I can think of is Facebook's F8 event so we'll get news of the Quest and Rift S release dates on the 1st May if I'm remembering correctly. Valve have a thing for Steam developers too I think but I can't remember when it is.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,297 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Also RIP my wallet. 
    Yea, this is probably going to hurt my wallet. There's no way I can buy a headset like that and not go all out on the PC to power it lol. RIP my stripper money. Sorry ladies.

@vannagirl will NOT be happy!!! :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited April 2019
    snowdog said:
    3) Well the next thing that I can think of is Facebook's F8 event so we'll get news of the Quest and Rift S release dates on the 1st May if I'm remembering correctly. Valve have a thing for Steam developers too I think but I can't remember when it is.
    Is it May 1st or April 30th? I have a feeling this is why they want to delay information about Index till then - this way they can steal the thunder from Oculus just a bit xD Though if they wait till then - I wonder how well it will go. I mean you want to show off your stuff at events - are they going to show up at a F8 event:)? I am wondering if this will be more of a spec release than a full on release of the HMD.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,023 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    Mradr said:

The O is the Oculus:))
    Now we know what Zenbane eats for breakfast. This is the key to his power.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,023 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    Interesting the discourse in this thread, but it doesn't seem to fit the forum ideology. So, let me be the first (excuse the obvious sarcasm and contradiction) but.

This is the Oculus forum, can't you post this stuff on the Valve Index forum? Discussions right now should be about the Rift S and Quest, not competing headsets.

:p 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited April 2019
    Interesting the discourse in this thread, but it doesn't seem to fit the forum ideology. So, let me be the first (excuse the obvious sarcasm and contradiction) but.

This is the Oculus forum, can't you post this stuff on the Valve Index forum? Discussions right now should be about the Rift S and Quest, not competing headsets.

Well it's under general - and we are talking about news / VR related topics - so it's not against the forum rules. People want to make a inform decision - and talking about the products is a good way to discuss what is out there. As long as people don't try and be butts about it to each other - nothing wrong about discussing about other products out there that are VR related. I mean if that was the case - half the forum would be ban and or deleted.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,599 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    nalex66 said:
    Sandcracka said:
    I managed to scan the QR code on the front of the headset and it turned up something fascinating.  A number: 1213977778783.  I googled this number but it did not turn up anything.  What can this number mean?
    Most likely a serial number or part number. 
    Date of arrival ?
     I love speculating, but seriously.
    December Thirteenth, 2097.  Followed by the phone number to Valve's customer service department.   Sounds about right. :smile:

Exactly - bundled with Half-life 3! 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • logotomielogotomie Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    I

to quote the forum:

General

Discussion for Oculus and all things VR.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,471 Volunteer Moderator

I think if Atm... I mean he who shouldn't be named were still here, this thread would have descended to the point that we'd be saying the same thing!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
This discussion has been closed.