New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How much is a refurbished CV1 headset GOING FOR at Oculus?

WildtWildt Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player
During the end of the warranty period on my CV1, I RMA'ed it because of the well  known audio strap issue. I got a refurbished replacement, which now has a broken IPD sensor.
Warranty has expired, but the good folk at Oculus are offering me to buy a refurbished headset with 6 months of warranty. No controllers or sensors - just the HMD.

How many Euros do you guys think they're charging for it?
Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,770 Valuable Player
    €250 - 300? Probably won't be cheap...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 965
    3Jane
    A google search gave a pricerange of between €125 - €259.

Be good, die great !
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player
    Actual footage of me seeing the number
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    3Jane
    Was that the price Oculus wanted for a refurbished, or are you reffering to pricetags in this thread ?
    Be good, die great !
    What they want.. seriously wtf. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,307 Volunteer Moderator
    You'll get cheaper on Ebay with controllers and sensors mate !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 983
    3Jane
    Wildt said:
    What they want.. seriously wtf. 

3Jane
    Are you sure you can¨t fix it yourself ?
     It's just the mechanical slider for the IPD that seems disconnected ?

I would find some CV1 teardown videos on youtube and try to fix it myself if I were in your shoes.

Be good, die great !
    edited March 31
    KlodsBrik said:
    Are you sure you can¨t fix it yourself ?
     It's just the mechanical slider for the IPD that seems disconnected ?

I would find some CV1 teardown videos on youtube and try to fix it myself if I were in your shoes.

I did a lot of digging - and I've read about people with way better fix it skills than me give up on this. I'll surely break something beyond repair.
    The value is stuck at 59, which is somewhat appropriate for my 9 year old daughter, so it's still of some use I guess.

But it's REALLY an easy fix in the software if Oculus cared. Just implement a registry value that overrides the sensor readout, and I could 1-click swap between the IPDs of my family members.

EDIT: @klodsbrik it's not the mechanical slider that's broken - it's the sensor that tells the software what position it's in. The software needs this to setup correct viewports for the rendering. If the value is off, the world scale seems off - especially things close to your eyes.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,295 Valuable Player
    Oculus sells refurbished CV1 themselves? Since when? Link?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    They offered him a refurbished. Seen that happen in many threads. :)
    Be good, die great !
    KlodsBrik said:
    Zenbane said:
    As part of an RMA, right? They keep your broken Rift in the process?
    3Jane
    edited March 31
    Wildt said:

EDIT: @klodsbrik it's not the mechanical slider that's broken - it's the sensor that tells the software what position it's in. The software needs this to setup correct viewports for the rendering. If the value is off, the world scale seems off - especially things close to your eyes.
    Oh, broken sensor .. I can do shitload of cool stuff with my hands. Don't think thats one of them.
     And if your kid can stil have fun with it, hell, spend time educating her with vr while you figure out what upgrade you need ! :heart:
    Be good, die great !
    Zenbane said:
    They send you a "personalized" link to a store item.
    Zenbane said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    Zenbane said:
    Well, I was hoping for them to offer repairs, or perhaps a HMD swap + cash, but nopes. Just a stupidly expensive refurbished headset with just 6 months warranty. But it DOES include a new cable!
    Surprised they aren't just giving them away in these situations now that they are being "phased out"
    :|
    3Jane
    Might as well buy a new one even thou it´s sort of expensive.
    https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/pc-gaming/OCULUSBUNDLE/oculus-rift-vr-bundle

Love elgiganten. They always give me great support. But my backlog of purchases might be why.

Be good, die great !
    edited March 31
    Wildt said:
    Zenbane said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    Zenbane said:
    Well, I was hoping for them to offer repairs, or perhaps a HMD swap + cash, but nopes. Just a stupidly expensive refurbished headset with just 6 months warranty. But it DOES include a new cable!

Divine forces are trying to tell you to get the Rift-S and leave the Rift for your daughter - but you probably have already considered that option.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited March 31
    In case someone thinks I'm FOS:

KlodsBrik said:
    Might as well buy a new one even thou it´s sort of expensive.
    https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/pc-gaming/OCULUSBUNDLE/oculus-rift-vr-bundle

Love elgiganten. They always give me great support. But my backlog of purchases might be why.

I'm actually gonna prowl all the local online stores for some leftover/demo sale.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    Zenbane said:
    KlodsBrik said:
    Zenbane said:

Divine forces are trying to tell you to get the Rift-S and leave the Rift for your daughter - but you probably have already considered that option.
    I cannot go back to wired VR for standing experiences, so until there's a working wireless adapter for one of the new HMDs, I'm sticking with the CV1.
    RuneSR2 said:
    €250 - 300? Probably won't be cheap...

Have we discussed what kind of Grand Awesome Award the winner of your price guessing competition shall receive?   :D

Admitted, this is not a first for me - read about another guy who also got a refurbished HMD offered from Oculus for a similar high price. Ebay may be your best option if you want another Rift. 

You can have the new cable if I decide to bite the bullet :lol:
    3Jane
    Free cables are awesome, also .......

Be good, die great !
    *sigh* .. you guys ever tried raising a bid that's already a tad too high for you (just a teenie bit), in a moment of frustration that the object apparently had a higher value than you were hoping for... and then end up "winning" ? :unamused:

Wildt said:
    *sigh* .. you guys ever tried raising a bid that's already a tad too high for you (just a teenie bit), in a moment of frustration that the object apparently had a higher value than you were hoping for... and then end up "winning" ? :unamused:

Hopefully you did end up saving some money compared to buying directly from Oculus... 

I use Gixen - 6 seconds before the end, no one can react to your bid - but you have to be sure about the max bid ;)

https://www.gixen.com/index.php

edited April 3
    Wildt said:
    *sigh* .. you guys ever tried raising a bid that's already a tad too high for you (just a teenie bit), in a moment of frustration that the object apparently had a higher value than you were hoping for... and then end up "winning" ?

Nope, because with Auctions... I differentiate between the current "going for" price and the final "went for" value.

ZING!!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 853
    3Jane
    edited April 3
    Wildt said:
    During the end of the warranty period on my CV1, I RMA'ed it because of the well  known audio strap issue. I got a refurbished replacement, which now has a broken IPD sensor.

Mate I'm pretty confident in saying, if you send Palmer Luckey a message on twitter he will either fix this for you or send you a new one. I know at the moment he's only mentioned doing this for headphones that have broken on our Rift's but I'm sure when you ask he will accept. He's that type of guy and still wants to remain involved in Rift's future and supporting VR.

I'm being serious here too, this isn't a joke, if mine ever breaks I will message him too to fix mine. 

Message him on twitter and then let us know what he says when he gets back to you? Don't forget he already said he will fix headphone issues for free, I'm sure he won't charge you, you'll just have to pay for postage.
    edited April 3
    Wildt said:

Mate I'm pretty confident in saying, if you send Palmer Luckey a message on twitter he will either fix this for you or send you a new one. I know at the moment he's only mentioned doing this for headphones that have broken on our Rift's but I'm sure when you ask he will accept. He's that type of guy and still wants to remain involved in Rift's future and supporting VR.

I'm being serious here too, this isn't a joke, if mine ever breaks I will message him too to fix mine. 

Message him on twitter and then let us know what he says when he gets back to you? Don't forget he already said he will fix headphone issues for free, I'm sure he won't charge you, you'll just have to pay for postage.
    Good advice, but I hear that he's (understandably) batching the repairs, so there's quite a long turn around on a fix. I can't wait that long I'm afraid. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 853
    3Jane
    edited April 3
    Wildt said:
    Good advice, but I hear that he's (understandably) batching the repairs, so there's quite a long turn around on a fix. I can't wait that long I'm afraid. 

Oh I see. Well whats your situation right now? Can you still use your Rift right now or is the IPD too low for you to actually use it?

Was it one of your family that adjusted the IPD? I just wondered why it was changed from what you set it at originally, just out of curiosity? I've never let anyone adjust my Rift IPD lol.