New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.37 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,657
    Project 2501
    edited April 2019
    Digi, please do not feed the trolls.  Thanx

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Behave Tom!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Didgi, please do not feed the trolls.  Thanx
    Didgi?  Who is Didgi?

• sford52sford52 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I've got a couple questions on the update cycle- I'm currently on 1.36.0.215623

Is there a way for me to know that the update has started to download?  I know I can check in the updates for games either in Notifications or Library->Updates, but I dont know how to check if the current rift update itself is scheduled, started, finished and installing.
    Does Oculus window have to be running? I have the services running all the time, but do I need the window open for the update to be triggered?
    Does the hardware (hdmi and 3 usb) need to be plugged in?
    Is there a way to request the current version be updated? my laptop is normally on wifi but if I know something big is going to happen I can connect using LAN ethernet.
    Thanks
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
    Project 2501
    In order to get 1.37 right now you need to go to your Oculus pc app settings/beta tab and select the public test channel.  It should start downloading this almost immediately.  Go to your Oculus app library tab/Updates and you should see it’s download/install process.  There are 11 parts to download and it might take a while to complete.  I think mine took about 10-15 minutes to download, install, and restart.

If you want to go back to 1.36, prior to 1.37 going non test channel, just deselect the public test channel option and it will roll back to 1.36

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

Art3mis
    edited April 2019
    @TomCgcmfc - thanks, working like you said. I was under the mistaken impression 1.37 was rolling out to everyone, not just PTC. But, I did as you said, and it is downloading and does indeed show up in Library->Updates. Knowing beforehand (thanks to you) I am LAN connected and all is very good!  Thanks for your help
    PS I Remembered to turn off virus protection  before doing it, and it seems the update wants to load some new drivers.

EDIT: O for cripes sake. I just reread the thread title, and note it says "PTC" in big bold letters. Not general release.  PTC.  Sheesh, whadda maroon. Sorry folks.
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
    Project 2501
    Ya, looks like new headset firmware came with my 1.37ptc update.  All still working great for me.  Thanks Oculus.

• fridounefridoune Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The communication on the ASW 2.0 is quite strange
    it seems to be an absolute great improvement for me with the PTC 1.37
    unless all the games i've tested have been optimized since the last time i launch them, it's quite clear for me that ASW 2.0 is in action
    config I5 GTX 1070 8go ram
    Robo Recall all set to the max pixel density x2 + antialiasing and the game is fluid
    same for Lone Echo and The Climb
    Lucky's Tales is gorgeous now and blaze rush also
    Big Screen Beta set to the max and i can watch 1080p 3d movies and HEVC x265 release
    On steam Beat Saber with mods put on max with ease, Skyrim the same
    Maybe i'm wrong but 1.37 is a blast as far as i'm concerned! ^^
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,983 Valuable Player
    Jumping in to shed a little additional light on ASW 2.0 for you all. ASW 2.0 functionality is enabled for all Rift users at this time - it is not dependent on a specific software version. We called out four apps in our blog post that currently utilize ASW 2.0 (Oculus Medium, Robo Recall, Red Matter, and Oculus Home / Dash). It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day. As to the question of "how do I know if it's working," the best way to know if a game is using ASW 2.0 is to have the game open and then hit the Oculus button to bring up Dash. If the game or app stays rendered behind Dash, it's utilizing ASW 2.0. If you get the big white / grey grid instead, it is not. You should see an overall smoother experience with less reprojection artifacts in ASW 2.0 apps. I hope this information is helpful!
    Very good info to know, thanks much for the clarification !
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Jumping in to shed a little additional light on ASW 2.0 for you all. ASW 2.0 functionality is enabled for all Rift users at this time - it is not dependent on a specific software version. We called out four apps in our blog post that currently utilize ASW 2.0 (Oculus Medium, Robo Recall, Red Matter, and Oculus Home / Dash). It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day. As to the question of "how do I know if it's working," the best way to know if a game is using ASW 2.0 is to have the game open and then hit the Oculus button to bring up Dash. If the game or app stays rendered behind Dash, it's utilizing ASW 2.0. If you get the big white / grey grid instead, it is not. You should see an overall smoother experience with less reprojection artifacts in ASW 2.0 apps. I hope this information is helpful!
    I played Red Matter & there was still quite a lot of artifacts. Same in oculus home itself. How much of a reduction are we expected to see?  
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    edited April 2019
    ... It is ultimately up individual developers as to whether or not they flip the switch for their app, but we're encouraging more devs to utilize the tech every day...
    So ASW 2.0 require the game to use native Oculus SDK (vs SteamVR ones)? Please note this is absolutely not a reproach, I understand it need more info from the game (ZBuffer AFAIK). Just trying to be sure I understand well.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I just got a new patch and driver updates, even though I was already on 1.37 PTC. Any updates?
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 472
    Trinity
    I got it too, I'm also on PTC.
    I wonder if 1.37 went live on the official channel
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Project 2501
    FolkSong said:
    I just got a new patch and driver updates, even though I was already on 1.37 PTC. Any updates?
    I got it too, I'm also on PTC.
    I wonder if 1.37 went live on the official channel

Pretty sure it's still PTC since the title of this thread still says PTC.  This will normally be edited when final.

It's pretty common to get a few minor PTC updates before final.  Unless there is some major change on the 1.37 changelog you will not see or need to know all the details imho.  Too many details just provide more fodder for Oculus haters/Trolls, lol!

Aside;  As far as ASW 2.0 goes;

From showbizdonkey's explanation on how to see if ASW 2.0 is implemented in an app, this seems to work well and it's very handy.  I think it would be usefull to document a current list of apps/games that are ASW 2.0 ready and update this occasionally. 

Interesting to see that some Oculus store games have this implemented (like robo, toybox, ultrawings, lucky tails, and google Earth VR, to name a few).  I personally do not see any difs with these.  Some like Moss, aircar, and Voxel Fly are not ASW 2.0 ready.  I only tried one Steam game so far (glider island) and it seems to be ASW 2.0 ready.  Also, an independent one (X-Plane 11, which struggles with 45fps in VR) seems to be ASW 2.0 ready but to be honest I do not see any improvement with it over ASW 1.0 (still lots of artifacts when flying fast/low) so I just disable it as per usual ctrl+num1.

Just my opinion but for people with decent PC specs  that are able to maintain 90fps ASW 2.0 is a non-event.  For those with low-spec PC's hopefully it will help.

• 71st_Mastiff71st_Mastiff Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Oculus App taking 3 to 5 minutes to start up the application after turning on the computer.
    " any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater comeback " Asus z370 MX||i7x8700k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||AX1200 Corsair||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G15 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR \ 32" Samsung|| 1x9inc||
    Project 2501
    Oculus App taking 3 to 5 minutes to start up the application after turning on the computer.
    Mine only takes about 10 seconds.

Maybe open your windows task manager and see if can find anything running in the background that is hogging resources.  Also some virus checkers do not play well with Oculus.  I just use Windows Defender no problems.

Otherwise, contact Oculus Support and see if they can help sort this out. Good luck.

Project 2501
    edited April 2019
    Got another 1.37ptc incremental update earlier today.  I have not noticed any diff's.  All still continues to work great for me.  Thanks Oculus.

Art3mis
    I think I am also in the process of getting an update- here is what I see in my notifications:

Is it typical to take 7+ hours?  Is there a way to see how far along the download is?
    If I go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Downloads\oculus-client I see a folder named 1556093924 which is time stamped about 7 hours ago but it is empty.  Note both staging and support are also empty and my oculus root is on C though my games are on a different drive.
    Project 2501
    edited April 2019
    sford,  I think you will find it’s already finished and installed.  Most Oculus ptc incremental updates do not get reported installed in the notification tab.

Just look at your Oculus app library update tab and you should see it.

Wintermute
    Wintermute
    edited April 2019
    Now if this UPDATE does not fix the current (for over 3yrs now already) issue of Games Not Updating then they all need new jobs! If any personnel don't agree with this they need fired.
    Project 2501
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    This!
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Now if this UPDATE does not fix the current (for over 3yrs now already) issue of Games Not Updating then they all need new jobs! If any personnel don't agree with this they need fired.

Just more Mac-crap imho.  I have never had any updating problems.  I normally do not answer to any of Mac's posts.  Mainly because they are crap imho.

Wintermute
    Tom you are an inciting idiot with your attacks. Why bother posting whilst others are here reporting problems. 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Chill dudes ... I love reading memes from both of you and would hate to see you get banned.
     Don't ruin my popcorn hours. :(

Be good, die great !
    Project 2501
    KlodsBrik said:
    Chill dudes ... I love reading memes from both of you and would hate to see you get banned.
     Don't ruin my popcorn hours. :(

Ya we would all hate to miss out on all those entertaining MAC Asian women music videos, lol!

Seriously, I apologise and I'll try to be more tolerant to power-posters like MAC in the future.

Project 2501
    edited May 2019
    I got another 1.37ptc update earlier today (May 1).  I think it's the 2nd ptc update.  At least I think it’s still ptc?  My first impression is that overall performance is down a wee bit.  In home my cpu usage is up ~3% and when I first start up I get a bit of screen and controller stutter.  Seems to settle down after a minute or two.  My initial view is that this update is not as stable as the previous one.  

I'd guess we will see a final/stable version of 1.33 prior to Rift-S deliveries. 

Edit/Update;  Seems to be settling down now with just a hint of stutter when home starts up.  Also, prior to this I had just gotten a new 3rd sensor (direct from Oculus w/usb 2.0 extension cable) and my Laptop's limited USB bandwidth capacity was having a hard time with it.  I removed/uninstalled the 3rd sensor and this clawed back most of any performance losses and significantly reduced any start up stuttering.  

So for now my nice new 3rd sensor is only useful as a spare.  Probably will be useful if one of my original ones fail, lol!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,042
    Wintermute
    @TomCgcmfc  - do you have a powered USB hub to plug in for your laptop?  It may just be a USB power issue.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Project 2501
    RattyUK said:
    @TomCgcmfc  - do you have a powered USB hub to plug in for your laptop?  It may just be a USB power issue.
    Thanks Ratty, I already have a 4 port powered usb 3.0 hub.  It's actually part of my Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/gtx1080ti gpu.  I just plug in 2x sensors into it.  I plug my Rift into a laptop usb 3.0 and it's hdmi into the AGA's gtx1080ti.  All this works great.  

I've tried the 3rd sensor (with stock usb 2.0 cable) into all the diff usb ports (AGA  and laptop, including usb-c 3.1 w/adapter) and it did not seem to make any difference.  It connects fine but my tracking is not always as good with it in operation.  Also, When I am in home I occasionally get a bit of stuttering and when I check task manager it seems to be taking up an additional ~3-4% CPU usage.

I don't think it's a power issue, probably a bandwidth limitation that is typical with most Laptops.  I really don't play any room scale games anyway so it's not a real problem.  I just thought I'd try out a 3rd sensor for fun.  At least I now have a spare sensor, lol!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,042
    Wintermute
    That's a shame.  I know it was an obvious one, but easy to overlook.
    Not tried my laptop with 3 sensors, only ever 2 so maybe I'd get the same issue.  Now that my sensors are on the wall I may skip the experiment though :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)