Tested HP Reverb hands-on — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tested HP Reverb hands-on

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,573 Valuable Player
edited April 5 in General
Here ya go.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• logotomielogotomie Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    matches my experience. Its really sharp. I can totally agree to that statement about crossing a certain treshold there.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,573 Valuable Player

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,148 Volunteer Moderator
    What about the $599 consumer version mate? Any news on release date for that?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,253 Valuable Player
    I'm not buying it, but if I was I'd have to get the Pro version. I wish all headsets used PV instead of that horrible uncomfortable material they use. 
    I wonder if this will have the same audio problems like the Rift did for some people. It's built like the CV1, so I presume it's using a ribbon cable for the audio.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    I like how I was the first to post this in the other thread :D
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,904 Valuable Player
    edited April 6
    Unless the EU price is off the charts I'm buying this. Just went through my game library, and there are quite a few of the old Oculus "sponsored" gamepad titles that are gonna look AWESOME on this thing.

EDIT: The point I'm trying to make is that I know the controllers and their tracking is shite, but there are really quite a few good titles that don't require motion controller, but have great visuals, and therefore REALLY worth replaying on the HP.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Just gonna mention a few, that I feel require good motion tracking, and playing them with a gamepad degrades the experience a lot:

The Climb - this is a title that I predict the Lenovo will have trouble with. You often look away from your hands that are close to your chest, and their tracking is important.

Windlands - it's just a whole different thing with motion controllers.

Doom VFR - Who wants to play this with a gamepad?
    Batman Arkham VR - ditto

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    edited April 6
    Yea this is exactly why the Reverb isnt' ruled out for me either. If the Index is 1440x1600 there's a good chance I still grab a Reverb. There's a lot of games that the extra clarity will be great to have. I'd also say, stuff like Doom VFR is fine with the WMR tracking. You don't really need to do anything behind you. Stuff like the climb.. yea no chance lol.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Now I'm kinda jealous of anyone who gets to play Chronos or E:D on this thing. :confused:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    Yea Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Robinson the Journey would all be incredible to go back and revisit.

To further add:

I never got into Windlands other than playing for about 20 minutes, but I would imagine it would be terrible on WMR too since it seems like you're doing a bunch of overhead stuff...which is a bad blindspot for WMR. I think in something like To the Top, you could probably still get away with it as long as you looked where you grab.

Standard shooters, puzzle games, adventure games, and most RPG's are doable and of course all cockpits and gamepad games. It's enough to justify a purchase.
    edited April 6
    I might just go with Valve index if it's got higher resolution & buy a Geforce 2080 Ti. I'll just stick them both on my credit card and cut my credit card straight up. I think I'll have a couple of years to pay for it until Rift 2 arrives. I'm not getting any younger and I just want to see VR at it's best while I'm here :)

That's the last I'll say on the matter until I've seen these headsets now.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,743 Valuable Player
    I'm refusing to buy another GPU for another couple of years at least I think, and I'll be getting either a Rift S or a Valve Index in November when I have 500-odd quid handy. I'll pay that 500 quid off my credit card then put a headset on it. If the Index is over 600 quid I'll definitely be getting a Rift S though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited April 7
    Well given my old man pays £800 a year to walk around a golf course, I think it's this that made me have a rethink. VR has become my hobby and is much better then a round of golf imho.
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    RedRizla said:
    I wonder if this will have the same audio problems like the Rift did for some people. It's built like the CV1, so I presume it's using a ribbon cable for the audio.
    I have the same doubt. In my CV1 the headphones lasted less than 1 year.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,500 Valuable Player
    Obviously on a Oculus VR forum I would not expect to see many openly claiming they would be moving onto the HP Reverb - but I have to say having clients that operate CV1's in their sites, the Reverb is offering a strong alternative to move too. Especially now with the wholesale abandoning of the previous CV1 design set - the had has been forced for these operators to find an alternative and Rift-S is just not particle. The Reverb feels like the CV1.2 that Oculus VR should have built, even down to its form factor!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • BigC208BigC208 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I’m moving to the HP Reverb for flight sims. If Oculus is not making what I want I get it somewhere else. If or when CV2 ever shows up we’ll reevaluate.
    edited May 4
    @BigC208 - Let us know what it's like when you get it. I hope you have a geforce 2080Ti though because if not the fps will look a bit like this this.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,574 Valuable Player
    BigC208 said:
    I’m moving to the HP Reverb for flight sims. If Oculus is not making what I want I get it somewhere else. If or when CV2 ever shows up we’ll reevaluate.

CV2 will be awesome and carry a HP instead of Lenovo logo  B)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,148 Volunteer Moderator
    Just saw this on reddit =

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Fuuuuck  :(
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,573 Valuable Player
    edited May 4
     :'(  seems a bit vague "next few weeks". Surely they should have nailed down a definitive release date by now.

edited May 4
     :'(  seems a bit vague "next few weeks". Surely they should have nailed down a definitive release date by now.
    Yeah, but it IS the same people who had an "Available April" sign up in May.

Damn slackers...  :angry: