New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Battery

RazerstarRazerstar Posts: 8
NerveGear
I don't know if my right and left controller is broken, but recently I switched my batteries out and they stopped working. I don't know if the controllers only want one specific type of battery. I was using Rayovac and I'm trying to switch to Duracell I just want to know if there is a fix, buy the same battery, or get a new pair of controllers.  

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    edited April 5
    Any good quality alkaline AA battery should work fine, no matter what the brand.  Maybe try a fresh/new set of batteries and make sure you are putting them in correctly (flat side on spring).  After changing out batteries you need to press your A/X controller buttons to reactivate them.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • RazerstarRazerstar Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I put fresh ones in and try to turn them on now it just doesn't do anything 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 965
    3Jane
    Does the Oculs App show how much battery is left on the controller, empty / fully charged and or, off / standby ?
    Be good, die great !
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,786 Valuable Player
    Hate to ask this but it has happened with a few of my customers.....but here it is.  You did put the batteries in the correct way right?

I know I know.....you’re not an idiot however a LOT of people are sadly. 

The brand of battery does not matter. Power is power and any device will accept power as long as it is not too much or too little. Rayovac AA batteries are the correct voltage. 
    NerveGear
    lol I made sure it was the right way and it just says off
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,484 Valuable Player
    edited April 11
    Digikid1 said:
    Hate to ask this but it has happened with a few of my customers.....but here it is.  You did put the batteries in the correct way right?

I know I know.....you’re not an idiot however a LOT of people are sadly. 

The brand of battery does not matter. Power is power and any device will accept power as long as it is not too much or too little. Rayovac AA batteries are the correct voltage. 
    I like to see a big battery orientation pic in the compartments but these days manufacturers tend to go for tiny markings in the plastic. The CE & FC compliance marks seem to be the priority!

Doesn't sound like this is the problem here though. Strange that both controllers stopped working, could that be a headset problem? @Razerstar I don't suppose you know anyone with a Rift you can borrow the controllers to test? or you can test your controllers with their headset?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    NerveGear
    No, I don't know any one who gas a rift, but what do you mean by it could be a headset problem
    NerveGear
    the left one works it just doesn't use the other batteries besides its current one
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,484 Valuable Player
    edited April 11
    Ok I thought you meant both controllers as you said 'they' stopped working. If both weren't working, it could have indicated a problem with the headset's ability to communicate with them.

I've never heard of a problem with only one type of battery working. I've used alkaline and different rechargables with no problems even though they have slightly different voltages (rechargables being 1.2V to compensate for a reduced internal impedance).
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    NerveGear
    Well I mean eventually the left controllers battery will run out like my right one and do the same thing. If you can I would still like to know  
    NerveGear
    I have a question when the oculus app opens when it says would you like to set up rift does that mean there is something wrong with it
    Razerstar said:
    I have a question when the oculus app opens when it says would you like to set up rift does that mean there is something wrong with it
    That happens when the HDMI cable is unplugged and plugged back in. Happens EVERY time and it’s extremely annoying and will not go away until you relent and go through it again. 

At this point though I would go ahead and do it. What do you got to lose?  Besides if you got ahold of ACTUAL Oculus support ( this forum is not Oculus Support ) they would tell you to do a repair install and/or run the setup process again. 
    NerveGear
    thank you for helping but it hasn't worked I just given up now and i will just buy a new one 
    Let us know if it works for you.