Looking for program to model large maps...help — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Looking for program to model large maps...help

CylissCyliss Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi, I am looking for the best program to build large scale but low detail maps.

Totally a beginner to 3D modeling. I am writing a fantasy novel about adventurers exploring dungeons filled with monsters and I want to model the dungeon. This  requires large amounts of floors, walls, ceilings and a bit of decoration. Right now I'm not concerned with monsters but instead want to focus on the dungeon itself.

Should I get Medium? Quill? Something else?

Also, I think it would be cool to export it somewhere my readers could explore it themselves, maybe in VRChat. Is that possible?

-Thanks a bunch

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    it depends on what you're intending the final solution to look like.. I'm not aware of anything specifically for VR in the market, but some options for normal flatland modelling are:

MapTool - good server/client campaign mapping solution, that also has scripting engine built in, LOS, Day/night/light sources built in, and so on..

Campaign Cartographer - old tool that lets you make large maps for campaigns; has a lot of modules/options

Dunjinni - old tool that is good for making dungeon maps with shadows and so on.. most corrent version is many years old but still an excellent tool.

Neverwinter Nights modding tools - apparently these are awesome for building dungeons in 3D, but I've never used them.. good luck

Finally, as a general mapping resource, check out the Cartographers Guild; they have a mass of resources for people wanting to get into map drawing/building/creating. lots of tutorials for photoshop, gimp, et al..
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • CylissCyliss Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thank you for your suggestions. I may use some of those tools for other projects, but I really wanted to create things in VR. Both to give them more life and also because art in VR is more appealing to me than 2D art. I think I'm probably going to have to go with Oculus Medium or Quill. There doesn't seem to be many other options at the moment.
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited April 19
    Cyliss said:
    Thank you for your suggestions. I may use some of those tools for other projects, but I really wanted to create things in VR. Both to give them more life and also because art in VR is more appealing to me than 2D art. I think I'm probably going to have to go with Oculus Medium or Quill. There doesn't seem to be many other options at the moment.
    Sort of depends on what you are looking for in terms of large scale, low detail maps.  Oculus gets heavy pretty fast when doing high volume areas, such as walls and whatnot.  Workable at room scale, for individual spaces.  If you just want corridor plans, and things like that, the gridsnap/angle snap and line tools can line those kind of things out pretty fast.  Another alternative might be something like google blocks, which lets you draw out large low-poly spaces pretty easily.  Haven't worked with quill much, but it might give  you the best balance if you're looking at a large area dungeon, with areas of detail.  Look and feel are definitely unique to each program.  There's a vr extension for sketchup, called VRsketch which might be good for doing the architectural model aspects, but I haven't tried it, and don't know if its any good or not.  Images on their page look like they could work, especially if you want to do towns and things as well.

One thing Medium is really good for is making organic things.  If you want dungeon inhabitants, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better way to model them.  If nothing else, it is a lot of fun to work with, so you might want to give it a shot for that reason alone.