New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Microstuttering after few minutes on my VR Ready Asus Rog Laptop

jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
NerveGear
I just installed my rift headset with 2 sensors configuration and touch controllers on my Asus Asus ROG Strix GL703VM 17.3” - specs:
i7 7700hq 16gb ram gtx1060, 4x 3.1usb (this notebook is certified VR ready). Basically the first 2-3 minutes in game or rift lobby works perfectly, but after that when moving head I have microstuttering (like the image is moving slightly left and right) that forces me to take the headset off, it's unusable. I noticed that when that appens if I check device page in oculus program I have the "poor tracking quality" warning on the headset icon in "device" tab. 
- I tried to clean up nvidia driver and perform a clean install 
- tried to switch all usb ports on my pc
- uninstalled and reinstalled oculus software
- tried different sensors setup (with 2 and 3 sensors)
Should I try something else? I also opened a ticket today...
Thank you

Comments

  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    edited April 9
    Pretty hard to say for sure but it sounds like a USB-related problem.  Maybe check your device manager for all your usb's properties, power management, and make sure the 'allow computer turn off device to save power' box is unchecked.  You may also want to check your power plan and make sure that any usb power saving options are disabled.

    With laptops is sometimes helps to us a powered usb 3.0 hub to connect your 2x sensors into.

    Hopefully Oculus Support will help you sort this out.  Good luck.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Pretty hard to say for sure but it sounds like a USB-related problem.  Maybe check your device manager for all your usb's properties, power management, and make sure the 'allow computer turn off device to save power' box is unchecked.  You may also want to check your power plan and make sure that any usb power saving options are disabled.

    With laptops is sometimes helps to us a powered usb 3.0 hub to connect your 2x sensors into.

    Hopefully Oculus Support will help you sort this out.  Good luck.
    Thank you, Oculus Support adviced exact same things. This evening I will check the option in device manager.
    I also found some other advices: run oculus software as administrator, turn off shadow play and remove asus bloatware (I only have sonic studio installed). 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    edited April 9
    I don’t know about running it as administrator, I do not do that.  Also not sure about shadow play because I don’t use that.  Also probably a good idea to go to your windows settings/gaming and disable Game Mode.  

    Try to make sure you do not have any unnecessary processes running in the background.  Also, some virus checkers don’t play well with the Rift.  I just use Windows Defender and this works fine for me.

    Probably get rid of all asus software imho.  Good luck mate.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • sford52sford52 Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    I also have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (GL702VS-AH73).  I'm curious about what is classified as bloatware.  I am aware of a "ROG Gaming Center" but I have left it as is, I vary rarely open it, and don't know what affect (pro or con) it has on the Oculus Rift.  In addition to this Gaming Center, what other ASUS programs should I consider removing?  Thanks
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 309
    Trinity
    edited April 9
    Can you try with just one sensor and no Touch? It should be fine if you sit in front of the sensor.

    If it returns, you only have headset and one sensor to troubleshoot. If it works, build from there.

    It might be your laptop getting hot and throttling something? You can monitor FPS using oculustraytool, also this program has other nice features you might use in the future when you get the headset working.

    Btw if you keep your head still and move only the controllers, are they also jittery?
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 9
    You may be suffering from a known bug with ASW, where the compositor timing breaks after a few minutes.
    Oculus is aware of it and there should be a patch in the future, hopefully sooner than later.
    So right now, us unlucky people who are suffering from this bug, have to wait for a patch from Oculus, there's no way to fix it from "our end".

    One workaround is to disable ASW entirely by pressing Ctrl+Numpad1 (make sure Numlock is enabled when you do that).

  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    sford52 said:
    I also have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (GL702VS-AH73).  I'm curious about what is classified as bloatware.  I am aware of a "ROG Gaming Center" but I have left it as is, I vary rarely open it, and don't know what affect (pro or con) it has on the Oculus Rift.  In addition to this Gaming Center, what other ASUS programs should I consider removing?  Thanks
    Thmoas said:
    Can you try with just one sensor and no Touch? It should be fine if you sit in front of the sensor.

    If it returns, you only have headset and one sensor to troubleshoot. If it works, build from there.

    It might be your laptop getting hot and throttling something? You can monitor FPS using oculustraytool, also this program has other nice features you might use in the future when you get the headset working.

    Btw if you keep your head still and move only the controllers, are they also jittery?
    Orkel said:
    You may be suffering from a known bug with ASW, where the compositor timing breaks after a few minutes.
    Oculus is aware of it and there should be a patch in the future, hopefully sooner than later.
    So right now, us unlucky people who are suffering from this bug, have to wait for a patch from Oculus, there's no way to fix it from "our end".

    One workaround is to disable ASW entirely by pressing Ctrl+Numpad1 (make sure Numlock is enabled when you do that).

    Hi guys and thank you for your answers. Yesterday I tried to do everything I could and I finally got to use the rift almost fine. First I uninstalled ALL Asus software, includinc Sonic Studio, Aura (the keyboard RGB software), gift box. Then I turned off usb power managment from device manager, uninstalled  geforce experience, turned windows game mode off, started oculus as administrator. I played fine almost 20 minutes after which the stutter came back... 
    then I remembered that I had read somewhere to press ctrl+1.... after that everything fine, no more stuttering I finally enjoy the oculus after 2 days of going crazy. I really want to say thanks to all of you even though I actually read your advice afterwards. They have to release the patch as soon as possible, it's absurd....
  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hi guys, after 2 days the wow effect is gone and the "almost fine" experience is not really that fine. With ASW eneabled is really unusable, but without ASW mostly with the more demanding games, I have a little stuttering (I think that with asw I got jittering,for me it's a bit difficult to understand the semantic differences, I'm Italian). If I check the devices in oculus program I still see the yellow warning that says poor tracking quality. I just bought a powered usb 3.0 hub from amazon to check if I can see any difference... I didn't understand if the problem is performance related or tracking related.
    The support closed my ticket as solved, I've sent him the link about ASW and he explained that the problem is CPU related beacause there is some problem with single core performances in laptop CPUs. I wonder if @sford52 had some similar problems with usb or tracking with his laptop. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    jnnar said:
    Hi guys, after 2 days the wow effect is gone and the "almost fine" experience is not really that fine. With ASW eneabled is really unusable, but without ASW mostly with the more demanding games, I have a little stuttering (I think that with asw I got jittering,for me it's a bit difficult to understand the semantic differences, I'm Italian). If I check the devices in oculus program I still see the yellow warning that says poor tracking quality. I just bought a powered usb 3.0 hub from amazon to check if I can see any difference... I didn't understand if the problem is performance related or tracking related.
    The support closed my ticket as solved, I've sent him the link about ASW and he explained that the problem is CPU related beacause there is some problem with single core performances in laptop CPUs. I wonder if @sford52 had some similar problems with usb or tracking with his laptop. 
    With your laptop PC specs (similar to mine) you should be fine with most AAA VR games, but maybe not at the highest graphics settings imho.  You def want to keep ASW off and try to get 90fps if possible imho.   Even if it means lowering each game's graphics settings a bit lower.  If you push the graphic's settings too high, it will of course stutter.

    I also have a laptop with similar specs and I found that a powered external usb 3.0 hub helped quite a bit.  In my case (AW 17r4, i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6gb, 32gb ram) I found that it was best to connect my external powered usb 3.0 hub to my laptop's thunderbolt port using a usb 3.1/3.0 adapter.  I even found that I could connect all 2x sensors (I do not use 3 sensors and I doubt they a 3rd one would work well with my laptop) plus the Rift's headset usb's to the hub, no problem.  Good luck mate.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    jnnar said:
    Hi guys, after 2 days the wow effect is gone and the "almost fine" experience is not really that fine. With ASW eneabled is really unusable, but without ASW mostly with the more demanding games, I have a little stuttering (I think that with asw I got jittering,for me it's a bit difficult to understand the semantic differences, I'm Italian). If I check the devices in oculus program I still see the yellow warning that says poor tracking quality. I just bought a powered usb 3.0 hub from amazon to check if I can see any difference... I didn't understand if the problem is performance related or tracking related.
    The support closed my ticket as solved, I've sent him the link about ASW and he explained that the problem is CPU related beacause there is some problem with single core performances in laptop CPUs. I wonder if @sford52 had some similar problems with usb or tracking with his laptop. 
    With your laptop PC specs (similar to mine) you should be fine with most AAA VR games, but maybe not at the highest graphics settings imho.  You def want to keep ASW off and try to get 90fps if possible imho.   Even if it means lowering each game's graphics settings a bit lower.  If you push the graphic's settings too high, it will of course stutter.

    I also have a laptop with similar specs and I found that a powered external usb 3.0 hub helped quite a bit.  In my case (AW 17r4, i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6gb, 32gb ram) I found that it was best to connect my external powered usb 3.0 hub to my laptop's thunderbolt port using a usb 3.1/3.0 adapter.  I even found that I could connect all 2x sensors (I do not use 3 sensors and I doubt they a 3rd one would work well with my laptop) plus the Rift's headset usb's to the hub, no problem.  Good luck mate.
    Thank you for sharing Tom. This weekend I had a little time to try but amazon delivered the usb powered hub and the usb c\usb converter. First thing I discovered that my usb c is NOT thunderbolt so it's basically useless. I don't know if it's connected to the same usb board but doesn't seems to make any difference, same thing about the powered hub. So it's not a power issue... I also discovered that my room is too small and full of reflective surfaces, so I tried another room and sensor placement and it was a bit better. I also updated to "beta" oculus software (that should have ASW 2.0) but the ASW but is still present.
    Now the situation is:
    - I can run flawlessy almost any "simple" game, like vacation\job simulator, beat saber, toy box, hoculus ad steam home ecc. disabling ASW
    - if I run some more demanding game (roborecall, arizona sunshine, lone echo) until the ASW "starts" it's perfect, then I have to disable it instantly but I still get some stuttering and also "slow charging image" like if I turn fast sometimes the oculus doesn't render the image in time...
    Can I use some tweaks to boost performance? How can I check if it's a performance related or some other bugs?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 738
    3Jane
    junnar, I would contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Hopefully they can inspect your log files and see what may be the problem(s) and/or bottleneck(s).  Sorry I cannot be of more help.  Good luck.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • jnnarjnnar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    junnar, I would contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Hopefully they can inspect your log files and see what may be the problem(s) and/or bottleneck(s).  Sorry I cannot be of more help.  Good luck.
    Thank you, I'm going to open a 2nd ticket and send logs. Anyway I think that is only a ASW bug related and need to wait that they fix it. I will update the topic if I get some news.
Sign In or Register to comment.