New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Vacation Simulator is available in the Oculus Store - $30

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,780 Valuable Player
Not sure this game deserves its own thread - but it does look like fun, maybe especially if you got kids:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1818689078164305

Now there's no need to pay for expensive holidays - just put on the HMD! Awesome!  :D
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,445
    Project 2501
    Man I hope they havd waiting in long lines.
    Rude tourist groups.
    And last but not least Time Share siminars for free tickets!
    WAAAGH!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,792 Valuable Player
    edited April 9
    Thanks for the heads up 

Hmm....$34.99CDN.....May wait till it’s on sale. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,780 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Thanks for the heads up 

Hmm....$34.99CDN.....May wait till it’s on sale. 

I was thinking much the same - these kind of games don't have a lot of value to me - I'd primarily buy it for the kids. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I'm weak and slightly bored this evening - and the first reviews are great - so I bought the game. I blame Paradise Decay  B)  It's just 1.14 GB download.

edited April 9
    The game is running great - I get solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0. There're no video settings in the game, so super sampling is the only option to improve graphics. The game is teleport only - graphics look like Windlands 2, but way more simple. I'm not that impressed so far - maybe my 7 year old son will like it. The game is super-polished though.

Over here it's 11:50 PM, I won't be able to test the game more before tomorrow.

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,567 Valuable Player
    Don't you love it when long-awaited games just release all of a sudden, with no warning?

Was expecting this to come out as a Quest launch title, so releasing a few weeks(?) early on Rift is a surprise.
    Anxiously awaiting the Rift-S.
    Interesting.  Watched the latest JackSepticEye video about this....and he is the voice of one of the characters.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,714 Valuable Player
    Wonder if you'll have to buy it again for quest? 
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    edited April 10
    Wildt said:
    Wonder if you'll have to buy it again for quest? 

Definitely feels like a game for Quest - not sure the reduced levels of polys and lack of true textures make this a Rift game - probably the game's more designed for PSVR (and maybe Quest). Right now I'm just focused on the technical aspects - I have no idea if the game could be ... fun? Then again, who cares about gameplay these days :D (Then again building stuff in sand and playing simple games on the beach with a ball don't feel like something that adults with age-matching cognitive abilities should do for many hours... I got the impression that this game may be better suited for young kids).

BTW, could be worrying if we start to see many new games for Rift(-S) designed to fit the ultra-low capabilities of Quest. But then I might be able to enjoy solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 for many years to come... B)

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,237
    Wintermute
    edited April 10
    I bought Job Simulator. It was cool as a first VR game but it's not interesting as a game. I don't see the appeal. 

Rick 'n Morty and Accounting+ are much funnier and cooler that's their appeal. Kids would much rather play Marvel Powers United.

I would rather play something like Just In Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VjEo00H-Q
    My 7 year old son really likes Vacation Simulator, he likes eating all the food and just being there. I also spent some time in the game, but pure teleportation and no turning with the thumb stick is very old school - and annoying (you turn using the HMD and teleport by pressing down the thumb stick). The only cognitively challenging content I've found so far was building ice structures, $30 seems way too high for that, price should have been $15 or 20 - but we're keeping the game, I even supported Oculus  o:)

I rated the game 4/5 in the Store. The colors and the atmosphere are great - I enjoyed just being present in the world, seemed to counteract stress more than several of the VR mindfulness-like experiences... 

Note that I may just be a grumpy old guy - the average rating in the Oculus Store is about 96% right now - must've been made by the devs kids ;)

I'm a couple hours into my VR Vacation (VRcation?) now, and having a blast.   Taking a break to get some laundry done, before I hop back in.

So far I've only goofed around the Hotel(?) area and tried out (but not fully exhausted) the activities in the main beach area.   Haven't checked out the Diving sub-area, or anything in the Camping / Mountain zones, and that's making me think that Vacation Simulator has significantly more content than Job Simulator had.   Anyone who liked the original will absolutely love the sequel.

Also, I made Virtual Avocado Toast.  Because why not. 

• TadinTadin Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    My 11 year old son is certainly enjoying it (half term right now)

I havent been able to get near my Rift since it came out :-)
    Hmmm, 96 % average rating based on 23 ratings - don't people understand that teleport movement and no way to turn using the thumb stick need PUNISHMENT?  :D

Intersting if CrashFu will still like the game when he's finished eating  ;)

edited April 12
    Yesterday my 7 year old son cried in anger when his 11 year old brother went on vacation. They both agreed to cancel ordinary summer vacation. Sigh, seems like I'll need another VR rig soon... And it seems that the high average rating is warranted...

RuneSR2 said:
    Yesterday my 7 year old son cried in anger when his 11 year old brother went on variation. They both agreed to cancel ordinary summer variation. Sigh, seems like I'll need another VR rig soon... And it seems that the high average rating is warranted...
    My girls are 7 and 9 (soon to be 10) - how do your boys cope with all the spoken english?
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    RuneSR2 said:
    Yesterday my 7 year old son cried in anger when his 11 year old brother went on variation. They both agreed to cancel ordinary summer variation. Sigh, seems like I'll need another VR rig soon... And it seems that the high average rating is warranted...
    Well that varies. Variation has a lot of variables. :D 

Spelling errors are FUN. :D 

Digikid1 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Well that varies. Variation has a lot of variables. :D 

Spelling errors are FUN. :D 

Indeed. Wrote that post on my phone. Now I curse the build-in auto correct. Seems like Sony won this time  :D And on the phone I can't get rid of these gray boxes...   :#

Wildt said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    My girls are 7 and 9 (soon to be 10) - how do your boys cope with all the spoken english?

It's not a problem for the 11 year old, he's been learning English in school for several years, but I help the youngest. I'm always there anyway, I never let them use VR alone in case one should fall or pull the rig on the floor  :#

You're absolutely right that all the talking in Vacation Simulator is a great problem for kids who do not speak English, the devs really should consider translating the game to other languages. Summer Fun Land works much better due to almost no language skills required.

Yeah, I'm also present, but it's quite the chore to yell the translation at a kid who's busy exploring  :)
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, I'm also present, but it's quite the chore to yell the translation at a kid who's busy exploring  :)

Most instructions seem to be when you enter one of the 3 levels, so it's not that bad. Many tasks are self-explanatory - and you can prepare food many places (requires no instructions).

Personally I bought the game, tested it myself for 30 min, then I let the youngest play it for about 1 hour - so there was still time to get a refund. 

Well, playing Job Simulator was an endless loop of "Hva' ska' jeg nu?"
    Wildt said:
    Well, playing Job Simulator was an endless loop of "Hva' ska' jeg nu?"

Vacation Simulator is more: "Das ist so toll! Der perfekte Urlaub! - Ich will immer hier sein!"

Hope my spelling is correct, you're from Germany right? 

Or to put it differently:

Nine year old daughter's rating of her dad, who doesn't lets her play Vacation Simulator: 2/10.

Nine year old daughter's rating of her dad, who lets her play Vacation Simulator: 10/10.

Of course that means you'll no longer be able to use the Rift much - time for some Netflix?  :D 

;) 

edited April 14
    Fun observation - there're no god rays in Vacation Simulator. Either that's just awesome design, or the devs are just lucky that the bright colors and backgrounds don't (or extremely rarely) cause any god rays.

Since my sons love the game so much, I've change my rating from 4 to 5 stars. Also after making more sandcastles, actually *long dry cough!* there may be some cognitively challenging content in the game even for adults - or my uncle Alzheimer just arrived early  :#

BTW, be careful when playing ball on the beach with the robot - I just knocked out one Touch controller against the ceiling. Had to take out the battery and insert it again, now the controller works again - phew! 

edited April 16
    Even though I - as a grown man - an adult - of course don't spend a lot of time painting in kids' games like Vacation Simulator :blush: I've heard - or read - *cough!* :blush: that you can paint in a rather awesome way in Vacation Simulator - in fact this article is spot on! (or so my sons say... maybe also their dad :blush:)

https://www.roadtovr.com/vacation-simulator-virtual-reality-paintbrush-design/ 

Maybe this video isn't the best example, but you get the idea...  :D

I've also heard :blush: that you can have fun skipping rocks in the game - anyone got 7 or better?  B)

Today Vacation Simulator has an average rating of 96 % in the Oculus Store based on 50 ratings (making it the 4th best Rift game of all Rift games with 40+ ratings) 

My high score in the rock-skipping game is 8, but I only managed to get it that high once.   Totally unrelated, you can skip your stone using the slingshot, too!

The painting mechanics are pretty nice.  I like how you can use photos as the base.. or even dip your brush into a magic photo-colored spot to paint bits of it over whatever else you're doing on the canvas, lol.

Apparently I've enjoyed this game for over 8 hours now!  Tried out all of the activities at least once, but haven't 100% completed all of them.   Sadly, I've run out of cooking tasks to do; Clearly my favorite of all the activities, and I was kind of hoping that even after I got all the memories, there'd be like.. randomized tasks available just for the heck of it.  Like the "Infinite Overtime" mode in the original.   But I guess nothing is stopping me from just making random food items for the heck of it, huh?     

Anyone want a (screenshot of a) sandwich, or anything?  :tongue:

I guess there are also a number of actual VR cooking games out there for me to buy.. anyone have any favorites?
    Patch 1 has arrived - although I haven't experienced any issues with the game so far:

Patch 1 Notes

16 APR @ 12:10AM - BUDDINGMONKEY
    We just pushed Patch 1 live for Vacation Simulator! Here are the patch notes for this update:

Changes:
    • There are now 5 Guest Passes (save games) available for players
    • The fish now can breathe flames and/or bubbles, just like a human can!
    • Minor VO additions and modifications to clarify specific cases of player confusion
    • Spectator Headset View FOV now defaults to 60
    • Spectator Headset View now mirrors screen fade
    • Bathtub tap now turns off when leaving zone
    • Added haptics to treasure chest lock
    • SuntanBot now respects all cooling items
    • VacationBot will now accept food order from Forest/Mountain/Overlook/Divesite/Hiking as well as Beach now
    • Shampoo fluid now causes the player to spit bubbles that match bubbles being poured in the bath

Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed a bug where VacationBot could end up in an incorrect position during the introduction
    • Fixed an issue where audio could be duplicated when returning to the museum
    • Trash cans can no longer destroy living things, and other fixes involving creature destruction
    • Fixed an issue when attaching lenses to the handheld spectator camera
    • Fixed an issue where WildBot wouldn’t hand the player a memory
    • Fixed an issue where handheld spectator camera light was appearing in photos
    • Fixed an issue with the Unicorn Horn hat clipping hair
    • Fixed an issue where Skiing wouldn’t cancel when dropping on of the poles during the intro
    • Fixed an issue where hats and mittens in small play spaces would return to the wrong position
    • Fixed an issue where puzzle pieces could fall through the table
    • Fixed some item icons and descriptions
    • Fixed an issue where the tortilla chip would not cook
    • Fixed an issue where the “Castle Blaster” game would not clean itself up properly and would curse future games and the bathroom mirror
    • Updated beach order board to say PhotoBot2 to match mountain order board which says PhotoBot3
    • Fixed an issue with saving paintings between sessions
    • Fixed an issue where you could shred a guest pass and have it not respawn until restarting the game
    • Fixed an issue where captain hat would appear on boat after you have taken it
    • Fixed a few Vacay-pedia issues
    • Additional minor bugfixes