New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Acer OJO 4320 x 2160 display

pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 983
3Jane
edited April 11 in General
Pretty sweet looking headset. And no that's not per eye lol.  It's going to be 2160x2160. I know Kevin mentioned this in the Index thread awhile back but there's a new article on it. And yea it's WMR.

Tagged:

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,248 Valuable Player
    Yeah the story had broken but none of the Western mainstream seemed interested till the Japanese media ran with it. I feel that the Western VR media had a narrative they were handed and are loathed to consider alternatives unless bidden into covering it. The same thing with Valve - the number of "shock horror" this is a thing from sites that had written off the leaked images of the Index as fake (sites that normally jump at leaked info!) 

Just back from presenting at VRX Europe and got serious time on the Reverb and a new system using a highres screen and tracking solution (image), the Enterprise scene is really catching fire post OSVR and StarVR.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,770 Valuable Player
    edited April 12
    StarVR could be awesome with 210 degrees fov, 450 grams of weight and eye tracking - if the price comes down:

- and the display is OLED (AMOLED), no cheap-ish LCD ;-). 

One minor problem may be the price... (and lack of headphones):

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,209 Valuable Player
    edited April 12
    I thought StarVR was out?  IF it wasn't - I want this :O It was one of the lowest price headsets for the feature sets (eye tracking, high FOV, 4k by 4k res, etc). At 3k it wasn't that bad of a deal for business customers for all the advancements it was getting. If one headset could rule them all it was the that headset xD too bad the company just couldn't keep up. As far as getting the price down - they still had a few options - such as switching to LCD over OLED just to get it under the 2,800 mark for the most part. Less plastic design could've also shave off some of the manufacturing cost.

In all good faith - its one of the best spec headsets I wish wasn't lost in the sea of business. I hope they sell or someone buys their IP that can make use of it in the future.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 983
    3Jane
    edited April 12
    StarVR is owned by Acer so who knows.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 357
    Trinity
    Modular design, what a fantastic idea, imaging keeping your earphones and headset that you are happy with and just replacing the Screen or lenses to a better res.....i love that idea.
    Mradr said:
    I thought StarVR was out?  IF it wasn't - I want this :O 

Alive and kicking right here:

https://www.starvr.com/

This may be the one HMD that even the Index can't touch (much ;-) But 3k would be dead in the water even for gaming enthusiasts.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,209 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    Modular design, what a fantastic idea, imaging keeping your earphones and headset that you are happy with and just replacing the Screen or lenses to a better res.....i love that idea.
    The problem with modular design is cost and over all - just too many options for the end customer in a way. I am ok with upgrades of course - but as we saw with HTC - it can also feel a bit disappointing getting the base model to only have to keep throwing more money to upgrade to the highest tier of the same headset.
    RuneSR2 said:

The definition of "alive and kicking" may be mute - the situation over the "undisclosed of missing funds" from the Starbreeze too Acer, in the court filing may mean that StarVR may not be able to reemerge, but from past experience I am prepared to wait and see till November - then the bet is off!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

The definition of "alive and kicking" may be mute - the situation over the "undisclosed of missing funds" from the Starbreeze too Acer, in the court filing may mean that StarVR may not be able to reemerge, but from past experience I am prepared to wait and see till November - then the bet is off!
    Maybe I was too positive - but they do have a website up and running, interesting to see what'll happen later this year.

I understand that the executive board are working hard to run a "everything is normal" in order to secure new business, but it s best to look beyond the hyperbole. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 357
    Trinity
    edited April 18
    Mradr said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    The problem with modular design is cost and over all - just too many options for the end customer in a way. I am ok with upgrades of course - but as we saw with HTC - it can also feel a bit disappointing getting the base model to only have to keep throwing more money to upgrade to the highest tier of the same headset.
    Yeah i just found out recently the Vive only comes with earbuds, and i hate those, don't like anything in my ear canal, and the deluxe strap thing is over £100, so that was the final nail in that coffin for purchasing a Vive, as i was going to trade in my Dell visor towards a Vive, but after finding out about the vive earbuds i just stipped down a pair of my Betron overear headphones and stuck them onto the Dell visor, so total cost to have a WMR headwet with proper earphones connected to it like on the Rift......a £10 Betron headphones. ha

I am now in a good position to happily wait a year and see what Vr has to offer in again in upgrades. :)