New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hellsplit: Arena - trailers, pics, introduction, reviews & impressions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,940 Valuable Player
edited September 11 in Games and Apps
Announcement trailer just arrived - looks potentially awesome  B)

Should be out in 2019, but I can't find it on Steam yet. The game has been in development at least since 2017. 

Some pics:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,940 Valuable Player
    Surprisingly, the game is set to launch in just 2 days - September 9:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1039880/Hellsplit_Arena/

The game now supports Rift too. It's looking quite good (click to enlarge):

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Some dudes just let me know that Index is working in Hellsplit, even though it's not officially supported (you just don't have finger tracking) - still reviews aren't very good. But it's just $25 and I can refund it if I don't like it - I've just bought the game, downloading now!  o:)

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,809 Valuable Player
    Looks like they have a great combat model but I don't know if they built a proper game around it. I've seen MERP play this a lot of YouTube. Let us know what you think. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    Looks like they have a great combat model but I don't know if they built a proper game around it. I've seen MERP play this a lot of YouTube. Let us know what you think. 
    I will - hopefully I'll find some time this evening.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Looking at the 'censored' picture, I wonder who will be the first to post a youtube vid of one of the bad guys getting a certain part of his anatomy hacked off :)

This looks so good, if anyone buys it before the end of the month, please post a review!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RattyUK said:
    Looking at the 'censored' picture, I wonder who will be the first to post a youtube vid of one of the bad guys getting a certain part of his anatomy hacked off :)

This looks so good, if anyone buys it before the end of the month, please post a review!
    I don't have a lot of patience, I'll give the game 600 seconds to impress me, or it's refund time, lol. I'll be opening the HellSplit Portal for the first time in a few minutes  B)

edited September 11
    Whoa - I was prepared to refund this game due to all the bad reviews, and then ... it was like the most awesome experience I've had for some time. 

Where do we start....

1. Hardware: The game does not officially support the Index, but it works perfectly nonetheless - only thing missing is full finger tracking support. 
    2. Settings: I maxed out everything in-game, ss 100 %, got solid 90 fps. I have not tried to increase ss for now, so I don't know my limit. Performance was awesome. Game looks great ss 100% (Index). Note settings are low or med, high doesn't exist. But high is something you make by starting to crank up ss  B)
    3. Presence - game character: You've got a full body - just like Lone Echo and Marvel Powers United. VR games where you got full arms and body are rare, so I was extremely thrilled to see this. So you have legs, and using the thumbstick (my right, but it can be changed) I could kick my opponents - that's a first and quite original I think.  
    4.Presence - textures and lighting: Awesome, much like Mage's Tale and far beyond Vanishing Realms. These are true PCVR textures, not horrible Quest-like surfaces. Not sure these textures are much worse than Lone Echo - try to see your hand in HellSplit, close-up you can see incredibly fine hairs and tons of detail (check your fingernails). A lot of love went into making this level of textures. Check out the clothes covering your arms, and the weapons - simply looks real. Zombies and other undead opponents look truly scary - like 10 timesmore scary than Arizona Sunshine. These ghouls (or whatever they are) come really close to you - felt gruesomely real - for the first time. The above screenshots fully represent to quality of the graphics - especially I assume if ss can reach like 150+ %. 
    5. Presence - animations: The best I've seen in a long time, looks like great motion capture - opponents move not perfectly, but close. You can break stuff, physics have been nicely implemented. I've only had time to kill the first 10-15 opponents, which all were the same, and I only had a club. Still this was probably the most realistic fighting I've done in VR. Even better (or similar to) Vanishing Realms. You can smash open the skull and become covered in blood - simply awesome. You also have a full mirror image = you can see yourself in a mirror just like in Wilson's Heart. Not many VR games allow you to see yourself - full body - in a mirror. I can only think of Wilson's Heart as one other game (maybe Lone Echo)...
    6. Sound - great, nice music and voice acting. Great sound quality using the Index. 
    7. Controls: No problems using Index. There's full locomotion and snap turning, but I didn't investigate it fully, I'll check later for smooth turning. Knuckles work like Touch, I didn't notice anything different. Love the skeleton hands you have in the game menu. There's support for both right and left handed persons.
    8. Gameplay: Felt like some sick and twisted form of Virtua Fighter or maybe more Mortal Kombat without super-moves or combos, lol. You're placed in an arena and fight the living dead. It's not at all for kids - tons of blood and dismemberments - but what's not to like about that!
    9. Dress code: Only t-shirt and shorts. I think I'm getting sick with a cold and a sore throat, maybe some fever - so I started HellSplit wearing normal pants and shirt + sweater. That was a bad idea, already fighting the first ghoul I could feel my skin pores opening and right now my shirt feels kinda wet. In short dress like you're going to play Box VR, lol. And be careful of your real world surroundings, because this game easily helps you remove (framed) paintings, lamps and other obstacles in the real world. Don't take this warning lightly  ;)
    10. Price: Spot on. This isn't what you should get for $10. Tons of work went into this title and I read that most of the game was done by one person. It's totally worth $25 - pay up and get over it.

BTW - I liked this review - this dude played the game longer than me - for now:

I had basically given the game a hard pass based on all the negative feedback I was seeing on the store page, but decided to give it a go knowing that I could refund it if I didn't like it, and literally NONE of the things people were complaining about were evident in my 114 minutes of play time.

The controls are basically the same as B&S minus the jump functionality and the inability to cast spells, but using weapons in this is similar to how weapons were used in B&S before it got nerfed to make it more "casual friendly". That said, I personally prefer the weight and balancing of the weapons in this game, and to the people that said using weapons in this game is "too realistic" and that you can't cut off limbs etc because it's too difficult - BS. I was hacking off limbs and heads left right and centre.

There's also a really nice selection of weapons, shields AND armour that you unlock as you progress and can then buy with the spoils of your battles in the arena. The points of contact between weapon on weapon and weapon on enemy is PERFECT and you can hit an enemy anywhere on their body and they'll recoil as though they were actually hit in that location.

Visually, the game is stunning and as someone that plays VR games on YouTube for a living and owns pretty much every single one in existence, I was very impressed. Even more so that this game is apparently made by one guy with no budget behind him? If that's true, bloody unreal stuff.

My only gripes are the lack of enemy variety, though as you progress there does appear to be some slight variation as the zombie things come out wearing different types of armour, and the boss battles are also a nice addition, and that you fight 6 or 7 battles in exactly the same arena before you move on to the next one, where the majority of them feel very similar to the one that came before. A bit repetitive in that regards.

TL;DR - game has a ton of potential and is definitely worth checking out.

edited September 11

Just got a response to my HellSplit review on Steam (which was similar to the above):

Of course finger tracking and maybe pressure-sensitive grab would be even more awesome, but since you primarily hold weapons there's no reason to wait for full Knuckles support. BTW, this game wasn't made by just one person - there're at least 3 devs in the "How we do it" video in the first post. Does make sense - having to make this level of textures, combat, sound etc. probably would be extremely time consuming if there was just one dev. 

Another review that seems to get it:

"This Game is one of the best arena games ever made for vr and whoever says that it isn't is just too picky and there isn't alot of vr games like this one so use this to an advantage and buy it. Its got amazing graphics and an awesome combat system. There is alot of things that make this game an amazing experience for vr players that like horror fighting games. Just a tip if you do buy this game the boss is hard so buy a mace and some new armor to make it easier for yourself."

- and a long review using Touch (Rift-S?):

Hey everyone, I've completed the campaign in normal mode and am half way through it on the hardcore mode. I'm here to share my thoughts. I use the Rift S. This is also my first serious review.

(Oddly steam refuses to track my hours after the second time launching this game)

If you want to know, the length of the campaign is roughly 

Please Note:
    Before you consider buying this, please note that this is not Blade and Sorcery, and as shown by many reviews by those that enjoy playing that game, you may not enjoy it if you keep thinking that as you play it.

Also I'd like to mention that I've run into none of the issues any negative review here so far has.

The Review

The Controls

I'll only list what I don't like, other wise the controls are similar to most VR games
    • Pointing with the touch controllers expects you to have your hand in a position where you thumb would be to the side, instead of finger guns.
    • ABXY are your kick buttons, which is inconvenient for me as I keep my thumbs on the thumb sticks. However I never really had a situation where kicks felt necessary anyhow.
    • Snap Turning only. Some of you might not like that, some of you might. I personally don't mind either.
    • Trigger to grab... Seriously? I don't like this

The Combat
    Initially, being used to Blade and Sorcery, it does feel strange. Weapons have a little more drag than they do in BnS, however they are easier to use at the same time: swinging too fast does not render your weapon to sometimes be useless. It was a weird feeling at first, however as I played through the first few levels of the campaign it began to not bother me at all.

Parrying and deflecting feels amazing. Enemies, unlike in Blade and Sorcery will not recoil a step or two back upon contact with your block. In most cases the enemy will open up for a second or two upon being blocked, allowing a small window to attack. In some cases, they will collide with your weapon, but may opt to continue attacking afterwards. There are also some special cases where you cannot 'physically' block and attack. The weight and power behind an enemy's attack appear take part in deciding whether or not they would smash through your defence or not. If there's a way I could describe this, it would be Mordhau's blocking system.

There appears to also be a perfect block mechanic (unsure if that's what it actually is), where parrying at the right time will generate a bassy sound effect and the enemy will be stunned for a certain amount of time or until you follow up with an attack.

Grabbing. You can only grab the enemies by the face as far as I can tell. There isn't much you can really do with grabbing, however it does guarantee you a kill, as it allows you to freely bash an enemy's face in. Personally I try to not use this unless I'm struggling.

The blood splattering is fine with me, as it wears off in the same amount of time it takes me to "wipe my eyes", however the blinding effect you get when you're low on health is ridiculous.

The Graphics
    They're good, really. The game appears to run quite well as also. Not much to say but it does look quite similar to the pictures and the videos.

My Verdict
    I think the price could be a tad lower, personally. However overall the game is an amazing experience and I think you should give it a chance, if not now- in the future, when it goes through some very crucial changes and improvements mentioned in other reviews.

If you do decide to buy this, don't be discouraged by your first moments. If you play Blade and Sorcery, take a second and remember that you're not currently playing that, you're playing Hellsplit. It'll take a little while to finally get used to the game, only then will you be able to enjoy it for what it is.

Also note that it takes a while to actually get the game to play like it does in the trailer, I'm almost there, myself.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Thanks @RuneSR2  - both for your own review and posting the other, looks like this may join my collection!
    Nice to have something a little different >:)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Forgot to post the launch trailer, better late than never - and it's such a beautiful movie, it touches me deeply everytime  <3:D

edited September 14
    More impressions here - maybe a bit boring video that doesn't show the different environments much, but it does show some fighting techniques and physics - so this is how we play Ghouls n' Ghosts in 2019 (or Dark Souls 3 Limited VR Edition) :D

edited September 16
    [Viewer discretion may be advised]

I fear for the sanity of this reviewer - he doesn't sound completely well psychologically, but nonetheless a fun review...  ;)

Not sure this reviewer is less mentally affected by the game - I guess that's the true spirit of Hellsplit  :D 

Fun thing - maybe - did some people ever think that Gorn was a sick, too bloody and twisted game?  :D 

Hellsplit is today's best-selling VR game on Steam:

Seems like Hellsplit is a candidate for 144 Hz! Some dude just posted this:

Congrats to this game engine! 144Hz second boss.
    I accidently had 144Hz (index) activated, and it ran without framedrop. Although I have a powerfull system (2080ti, Ryzen 3700x) I could not achieve that with for instance b&s. Really cool!

• A.ForceA.Force Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    Honestly this looks too gruesome for me to play. It would degrade my mental health : p
    More Hellsplit - but may contain spoilers, at least I haven't been to this location yet and have not seen this video:

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,809 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like Hellsplit is a candidate for 144 Hz! Some dude just posted this:

Congrats to this game engine! 144Hz second boss.
    I accidently had 144Hz (index) activated, and it ran without framedrop. Although I have a powerfull system (2080ti, Ryzen 3700x) I could not achieve that with for instance b&s. Really cool!
    He's running a 2080ti. Good reason to get one ;)
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited September 21
    More Hellsplit videos - at least the middle one was made using Rift-S:

Although I believe the chicken is correct - should a chicken play this game?

Just asked the chicken if he tested the game using the Index - he replied:

"I didn’t test it personally, just asked around and looked through the discord."

Seems like some parents are still doing a great job, Hellsplit isn't for kids at all. Nonetheless the chicken does have a lot of skills making videos and I appreciate his enthusiasm. 

This time a nice review by an adult who actually played the game ;)

Asgard's Wrath is awesome - but Hellsplit is still the King of VR sword fighting in my mind - here's a boss fight:

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,110 Valuable Player
    Looks nice, but damn there are some major stutter/lag going on when he gets close to the enemies.. :hushed:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    Looks nice, but damn there are some major stutter/lag going on when he gets close to the enemies.. :hushed:

Strange - never noticed that - I wouldn't worry about that. I normally get perfect 90 fps using the Index. 

Another review of maybe the best VR fighting game - I like the fighting better in Hellsplit than in Asgard's Wrath and Until You Fall: