High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath - Page 10 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,948 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    To be honest is actually a crap phrase and i should have used better but i was in a rush... but you posted that knockout blow (which was just a light hearted post i know) but i was just giving valve a bit of credit...... maybe the rift did knock out the vive, but if i am being honest (deliberately using that word now to show  the context i meant ) rather than just for comedy value, it is only fair to say that i believe they are part of the reason we got 360 degree tracking of controllers in the rift.

so yeah in my opinion would have been better... you see i am now (literally) putting my hands up and admitting it was poor use of words!.

jesus that is a lot of typing for a nothing post!.

I see your point, buddy! And to be fair, snowdog and a few other posters often say "tbh" (to be honest) as a catch phrase. I've noticed it a lot. And it's always used in situations that have absolutely nothing to do with truth or honestly.

Like:
    • To be honest, orange pants are the best pants.
    • Ribeyes are the best cut of meat tbh.
    Is it a European thing to use that phrase in that way?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    To be honest with you its going to be announced  minutes before launch the rift s will have eye tracking and 150 fov
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,089 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    At the end of the day Oculus are the ones trying to get more people into VR by making headsets cheaper and also making some great games. Valve and other company's are just making headsets and relying on revive to allow you to play these great Oculus games. 

Yes, it would have been nice if Oculus had a headset that only people with a Geforce 2080Ti card would get much use out of, but I don't blame them for not catering for this market yet when it's not large enough. According to Steam stats there's not a great percentage of people using a Geforce 2080Ti. I'm sure in 3 years time when Nvidia drop their crazy prices for Graphics cards, then we will see Oculus create a headset for something like a Geforce 2080Ti, if there's a large amount of people using these cards.

The good news for now though is people with higher end cards do have options. There's HP Reverb and we are yet to see the specs of Valve index.

RedRizla said:
    At the end of the day Oculus are the ones trying to get more people into VR by making headsets cheaper and also making some great games. Valve and other company's are just making headsets and relying on revive to allow you to play these great Oculus games. 

Yes, it would have been nice if Oculus had a headset that only people with Geforce 2080Ti card would get much use out of, but I don't blame them for not cater for this market yet when it's not large enough. According to Steam stats there's not a great percentage of people using a Geforce 2080Ti. I'm sure in 3 years time when Nvidia drop their crazy prices for Graphics cards, then we will see Oculus create a headset for something like a Geforce 2080Ti, if there's a large amount of people using these cards.

The good new though is that people with higher end cards do have options. There's HP Reverb and we are yet to see the specs of Valve index.

Agreed. If Oculus has focused on a massive leap in Hardware specs for the new Rift, then they would fall in to the same path that lead HTC to the Google buyout and the same path that has Pimax relying on a Kickstarter for their 2nd VR HMD. The only real benefit would have been online... where Rift owners could continue to brag about having the best lol. But that's not a tangible benefit to an organization.

I love Software (just look at all my VR Software Reviews). And what Oculus is doing will help fund the software ecosystem in VR even further. There's nothing to complain about here once we remove the console-war style mindset. Which, I'm guilty of fueling myself.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I'm sure in 3 years time when Nvidia drop their crazy prices for Graphics cards, then we will see Oculus create a headset for something like a Geforce 2080Ti, if there's a large amount of people using these cards.
    The thing is - the 20s cards are a short live card - by that - they release late meaning the 30s should be coming late this year or early next years dropping the prices and improving performance all while getting a shrink too on the node side. 
    edited April 16
    Zenbane said:
    Agreed. If Oculus has focused on a massive leap in Hardware specs for the new Rift, then they would fall in to the same path that lead HTC to the Google buyout and the same path that has Pimax relying on a Kickstarter for their 2nd VR HMD. The only real benefit would have been online... where Rift owners could continue to brag about having the best lol. But that's not a tangible benefit to an organization.

I love Software (just look at all my VR Software Reviews). And what Oculus is doing will help fund the software ecosystem in VR even further. There's nothing to complain about here once we remove the console-war style mindset. Which, I'm guilty of fueling myself.
    I agree - but what does that mean for the CV2 future in terms of specs is my only question now? Snowdog and I for example really believes that they will release a higher "tock" headset - but base off these realizations - I dont think they will now and just trying to aim for compatibility and keeping it low cost still - aka - skip out on important features if they can't fit into the price bracket. The fact we will have to wait 3 years is a bit of a unhealthy request in faith if you ask me... Anyways - we wont know unless Oculus says anything now till then - I will end on that note for now:)
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

I agree - but what does that mean for the CV2 future in terms of specs is my only question now? Snowdog and I for example really believes that they will release a higher "tock" headset - but base off these realizations - I dont think they will now and just trying to aim for compatibility and keeping it low cost still - aka - skip out on important features if they can't fit into the price bracket. 

To be honest,

just kidding.

As it stands now, Facebook and Oculus will likely remain a notch below the market cap for Hardware Spec's in an HMD. With HTC and Pimax fighting for that title, it seems that Facebook-Oculus are content focusing on getting mass consumers instead of appeasing the niche enthusiast crowd. We probably won't see a change in that for awhile. The market is what is dictating all of this.

Which is why it is completely invalid for anyone to claim that this is a "course correction." There is no set course when it comes to market and industry. There are only "industry indicators" and ones ability to react and adjust accordingly. Once the market itself demands higher-end hardware, we will see it. That's not pivoting, that's not course correction, that's corporate strategy when profit, revenue, and sustainability are the target goals.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,959 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    How about, this is the current port Oculus are in. Who knows where they are sailing next.
    How about this is the current port Oculus are in. Who knows where they are sailing next.

Agreed. This is how the Stock Market has worked since its inception. There is no set course. There is only randomness. The winners are those who can respond quickly and effectively.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,812 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    Zenbane said:

I see your point, buddy! And to be fair, snowdog and a few other posters often say "tbh" (to be honest) as a catch phrase. I've noticed it a lot. And it's always used in situations that have absolutely nothing to do with truth or honestly.

Like:
    • To be honest, orange pants are the best pants.
    • Ribeyes are the best cut of meat tbh.
    Is it a European thing to use that phrase in that way?
    certainly a British thing... i cant comment on the rest of Europe
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited April 16
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:
    I'm sure in 3 years time when Nvidia drop their crazy prices for Graphics cards, then we will see Oculus create a headset for something like a Geforce 2080Ti, if there's a large amount of people using these cards.
    The thing is - the 20s cards are a short live card - by that - they release late meaning the 30s should be coming late this year or early next years dropping the prices and improving performance all while getting a shrink too on the node side. 

What you have just said here, it means you have just proved Oculus right for not going highend yet. If Geforce 30 are coming this year that means over a 3 year period Geforce 2080 Ti cards will start to drop in price. That's when Oculus will start to look at bringing a higher end headset to the market, which will cater for the millions of people who have just purchased a Geforce 2080 Ti card. 

All this might change though if they master eye tracking and the tech is cheap enough to go into a VR headset.
    inovator said:
    To be honest with you its going to be announced  minutes before launch the rift s will have eye tracking and 150 fov
    but will use VGA input only ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited April 16
    RedRizla said:
    What you have just said here, it means you have just proved Oculus right for not going highend yet. If Geforce 30 are coming this year that means over a 3 year period Geforce 2080 Ti cards will start to drop in price. That's when Oculus will start to look at bringing a higher end headset to the market, which will cater for the millions of people who have just purchased a Geforce 2080 Ti card. 
    True, well for right now - things scale with time - so if that is true right now - by then - VR demand for specs will also increase meaning we will be back in the same boat we are right now in terms of what our future selfs will demand and what the hardware at that time can give us. For example, I know 4k by 4k eye tracking is going to be out price and cost too much PC hardware demand for it to be viable. In 3 years - I am sure that will be possible - but by then (if someone didn't already come out with 3k by 3k) my demand will be 6k by 6k or 8k by 8k. It's no different than the people 3 years ago that wanted 1440p.
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,959 Valuable Player
    edited April 22

Maybe you should watch this YouTube video and listen to someone who has had hands on using the Rift -S for an hour. Unless you have a Geforce 2080Ti that is in which case you've got other options. HP reverb, HTC Vive Pro. I can't include Valve index because specs are unknown.

Do you own a Geforce 2080Ti?

Here's the HANDS ON review of the Rift -S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cxTJgbRi1E
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,875 Valuable Player
    JESUS MURPHY you guys!  go play some computers games instead :lol:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    You might be barking up the wrong tree there @RedRizla. I'm pretty sure that poster is just here for the fireworks!
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist

edited April 16
    @RedRizla @Zenbane @DaftnDirect
    Yes I know its theory crafting - but I like to get your thoughts - anyone can jump in - but going off the scale of hardware and the current reasoning that Oculus wants to keep it low price as possible for VR - 

What if the 30s is more than powerful enough to run 6k at 80hz even go as far as to say they did get eye tracking working for the 20s and 10s cards to be supported, but the problem is that the 6k cost WAY too much even though the hardware could support it. Would your argument that keeping price low still be valid or should they try and push something a bit stronger out? I bring this up because scale of screen technology is going to hit a wall sooner than our GPUs or future improvements to VR will hit. Our biggest cost in a HMD is the screen(s). Eye tracking sort of resets FOV cost and a percent of resolution demand. With a time scale of 3 years - that be almost 2 generation of video cards depending on release dates. Personally - I dont think this question too wild of what might happen by then. 4k already a thing at around 80-144fps  - with 5k already hitting 30-45Hz - 2 more gen + software improvements along with eye tracking doesn't sound too far off to already be supporting 6k by then.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    How I hope so much, we could get total ban of the user when we ban someone. Like _TOTAL_.
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
    edited April 16
    Netheri said:
    How I hope so much, we could get total ban of the user when we ban someone. Like _TOTAL_.
    ? not sure who or what you are getting at to be honest.....  other than a little drifting around OT i am not seeing a problem and  nothing banworthy has been said has it?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
    possibly paradox's post is a bit cringeworthy, especially if Netheri is French
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    edited April 16
    @Mradr - Lets take televisions as an example. New televisions are about to be brought out and some will be 8k this time around. But whose going to buy them while they are ridiculously expensive? Even Oled and QLed television are expensive, so most people settle on purchasing a television that has just 4k. 

Once these 8k televisions arrive then Oled & Qled 4k televisions will start to drop in price and the majority of people will then start to buy these televisions and not 8k televisions. So do you now see what Oculus is doing? They are catering for the majority and not the minority.

edited April 16
    possibly paradox's post is a bit cringeworthy, especially if Netheri is French
    hmmmm, ok potential foot in mouth comment incoming but.... it is a shame, it was / is / will be again a beautiful building with a history... but AFAIK no human life was lost, it is bricks and mortar at the end of the day...... Had it of been an image of grenfell tower or similar I would have agreed with you but..............................

edit.. well i did warn foot in mouth... 1 person injured - a fire fighter.

edited April 16
    RedRizla said:
    @Mradr - Lets take televisions as an example. New televisions are about to be brought out and some will be 8k this time around. But whose going to buy them while they are ridiculously expensive? Even Oled and QLed television are expensive, so most people settle on purchasing a television that has just 4k. 

Once these 8k televisions arrive then Oled & Qled 4k televisions will start to drop in price and the majority of people will then start to buy these televisions and not 8k televisions. So do you now see what Oculus is doing? They are catering for the majority and not the minority.

I see, so you feel like screen technology will be able to keep up even if we hit 6k that 8k will be around the bin next? The question isnt about a majority or a minority I feel - but the hard limits we're about to hit with screen resolution. Right now - phones are hitting 4k and possible 6k - but talks has been they might just stick with 4k for a long while.
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:

I see, so you feel like screen technology will be able to keep up even if we hit 6k that 8k will be around the bin next?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?