High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath - Page 12 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,045 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    Can I ask why higher resolutions in VR headsets concern people so much? I get it if you are playing flight sims that require you to see all the cockpit instruments, but for games in general even the PS -VR, with it's low resolution screens has sold 4 million VR headsets. That's because it produces some good games that people enjoy despite them having low resolutions.

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripes.

So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    edited April 16
    I was going to buy one anyway, it fixes everything that I had an issue with CV1

Sensor tomfoolery (I can actually now use my 1070 MaxQ Laptop in any part of the house without moving those darn sensors from room to room)

Much less SDE, no god rays and comfort.

Ticks all the boxes.
    Yea, the USB cables were the thing I disliked most about CV1 but was usually a lone cricket on this forum about it lol. I packed up my CV1 and retired it because I'm tired of USB problems due to my long runs of extensions. I think most people upgrading from CV1 will be happy with the Rift-S.
    Project 2501
    edited April 16
    RedRizla said:
    Can I ask why higher resolutions in VR headsets concern people so much? I get it if you are playing flight sims that require you to see all the cockpit instruments, but for games in general even the PS -VR, with it's low resolution screens has sold 4 million VR headsets. That's because it produces some good games that people enjoy despite them having low resolutions.

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripe. So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?
    And how many of those 4 millions actually play PSVR regularly though? I don't play mine, not one of my friends who bought it still use it regularly. They'll dust it off for hyped titles but it goes back to collecting dust after. Sony has that data and I think that's why they're still making short games. Resolution makes things feel more lifelike so it's important for some.

For me you already answered the question, Sims.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    RedRizla said:

CV1 has some great games, so why do people want such high res screens right now? The Rift -S reduces screen door effect more because of the Lcd screen, which used to be one of most people's gripes. The God rays have just about gone which was another one of people's gripe. So @Mradr, why is resolution and screens such a big thing for you right now?
    Sure, main reason is I want to switch over to VR as my main monitor. I love how I had soo many screens ready to use when I had my CV1. The problem with is was that I couldn't make out details after a while as I added more screens. It wasn't so much a SDE issue as I just need more pixels to fill in what I was see in the first place. I monitor and maintain quite a few devices ranging from PCs to cell phones to Email/App/Server servers. Along with that - I program and spend most of my day switching between many monitors so my neck hurts after a while:) With the CV1 I could move my focus monitor around without having to move my head:) was super nice.

The problem is like I said - I couldn't make out enough detail though. Text was blurry most of the time, some of the graphics I couldn't make out what was being shown, further monitors were hard to make out what was going on in them, and over all just wasn't pleasant switching back and forth between my real monitors and the VR world. Granted - some of that isn't so much a res problem as I just need a easier in and out method when using VR.

I mean I do play flat games too - so comparing my monitor to a flat screen game also just ... wasn't up to what we have now in monitor land. I had fun being in my VR computer room playing starcraft 2... but again - just hard to make out details in the game, etc, etc.

At the same time - I love eye candy. I am like that weird guy that loves standing by waterfalls in games just because I love how they look and the detail devs put into them at times. For VR - it was just another level even with the CV1 - but as always - we want more:) so I want to see more detail with VR games as well. I played a lot of Onward and Robo Recall - for me it was a lot fun just spending time looking at the small details the game provided that you wouldn't think was there - but as I look at these objects - SDE was very plain to see sadly =/ and following that - as the same above - it was just too hard to see some of these details in these objects as well. Granted once the game starts - you forget about that to a point - but when trying to snipe someone down and all you see is a few pixels - it reminds you again that we need more resolution. 
    edited April 16
    pyroth309 said:
    RedRizla said:

And how many of those 4 millions actually play PSVR regularly though? I don't play mine, not one of my friends who bought it still use it regularly. They'll dust it off for hyped titles but it goes back to collecting dust after. Sony has that data and I think that's why they're still making short games. Resolution makes things feel more lifelike so it's important for some.

I don't know how many people are still using their PS -VR headset, but neither do you unless there's a link to these stats somewhere? For all we we know there might be millions using their PS -VR headset, it certainly has good reviews on Amazon.Uk.

I don't use my CV1 that regular, but I still really like it. I love my Motor Cycle, which I rarely use, but it's there when I want to use it. The point is you don't have to use something regular just to show that you still like it. Why don't your friends sell the PS -VR, if they don't like it, or do they still like it but just don't play it that regular?

@Mradr - I think you need to be looking at a business headset then and not one geared towards gaming and some apps. They will cost a lot of money though. I'm not sure what resolution you would need to see loads of monitors in VR and be able to read text on them. Probably 8k per eye at a guess.
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RedRizla said:

I don't know how many people are still using their PS -VR headset, but neither do you unless there's a link to these stats somewhere? For all we we know there might be millions using their PS -VR headset, it certainly has good reviews on Amazon.Uk.

I don't use my CV1 that regular, but I still really like it. I love my Motor Cycle, which I rarely use, but it's there when I want to use it. The point is you don't have to use something regular just to show that you still like it. Why don't your friends sell the PS -VR, if they don't like it, or do they still like it but just don't play it that regular?
    Fair enough. My point was it's not good enough to replace the TV for most people yet, resolution is a big part of that. Not just the res of the screens but also the resolution of the rendered game.

As for why my friends never sold theirs, well 4 of them are console collectors and have a bunch of console stuff they never play I guess just to say they have them I guess lol. I never understood it tbh. The other 3 are too busy playing MMORPG's to care. 
    edited April 16
    RedRizla said:

@Mradr - I think you need to be looking at a business headset then and not one geared towards gaming and some apps. They will cost a lot of money though. I'm not sure what resolution you would need to see loads on monitors in VR.
    Oh I have - most want you to pay extra fees though to use their device in a creative way - but I am not and I dont want to be force into that xD I was looking at StarVR really hard up until they went belly up sadly:) Even Oculus has a business model on some of the products - but you are not really paying for the headset - you are paying for extra terms that may or may not work with your end goal. I would be consider still a customer grade user - but at the same time - I am the other market VR needs to get into at some point outside of just gaming and entertainment. 

I dont know - I mean I want this - but at the same time - leaving the Oculus software ecosystem and looking at else is there - you just go meh - So even if I  do find the perfect headset - you be leaving a ecosystem that so far (even with its faults) has been a big game changer. Over all - all I can say is - win some - lose some , right?
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    It's going to be a lot of fun when the shit hits the fan and all the headsets are out including index. 
    edited April 16
    inovator said:
    It's going to be a lot of fun when the shit hits the fan and all the headsets are out including index. 
    We will see - I really don't know what to think about Index yet or what it brings to the table. Just not enough information on the table yet. If some of the rumors are true - then maybe they will have something, but who knows XD?
    Project 2501
    edited April 16
    Mradr said:
    inovator said:
    We will see - I really don't know what to think about Index yet or what it brings to the table. Just not enough information on the table yet. 
    This, need more info.
    Project 2501
    When I say fun when the headsets hit the market I mean what all the squabbling and points of view will be brought up.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,997 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    When I say fun when the headsets hit the market I mean what all the squabbling and points of view will be brought up.
    It will be a bloodbath hahaha
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    possibly paradox's post is a bit cringeworthy, especially if Netheri is French

Are we all still pretending we don’t know who Paradox really is ??  :p
    Project 2501
    vannagirl said:
    Can I ask what everyone who is upset with no high end, what spec they were expecting from oculus and what price point.

for me, every new oculus hmd that improves on the last in the key areas of tracking, visual, sweetspot, godrays is going in the right direction still.

this threads kind of left me all confused what we all want from oculus, have they announced no more pcvr, did I misunderstand??

Since u haven't been up to date I'll try to give u the short story. 1.  Members upset the next Gen headset not released  (cv2) but a mid range is being released instead.

2.the other side argues some upgrades is better with affordability, with   ease of use can better attract people to make the number of users larger.

3  more and better software 
    Is the main thing at this time to attract a bigger base.
    Project 2501
    vannagirl said:
    inovator said:
    It will be a bloodbath hahaha
    Well said  lol
    inovator said:
    vannagirl said:
    Can I ask what everyone who is upset with no high end, what spec they were expecting from oculus and what price point.

for me, every new oculus hmd that improves on the last in the key areas of tracking, visual, sweetspot, godrays is going in the right direction still.

this threads kind of left me all confused what we all want from oculus, have they announced no more pcvr, did I misunderstand??

Since u haven't been up to date I'll try to give u the short story. 1.  Members upset the next Gen headset not released  (cv2) but a mid range is being released instead.

2.the other side argues some upgrades is better with affordability, with   ease of use can better attract people to make the number of users larger.

3  more and better software 
    Is the main thing at this time to attract a bigger base.
    Thank you Inovator

cliff notes ftw
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,468 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 16
    My only deal-breaker in a new HMD is lack of mechanical IPD adjustment (lenses AND screens). I'd be happy with everything else about the Rift S and I'd buy it with no hesitation.
    People keep saying it will probably be okay in the Rift S, but not if the screen is the same size as the one in the Go. The lens sweet spot might be adequate, but the FOV is reduced because the lens spacing is so much lower than my eye spacing. Eye relief adjustment might help a little (assuming it allows you to get the screen any closer to your eyes that CV1 or Go), but it will not be enough. The Go's FOV looks much narrower to me than the CV1. If I remove the face ring and push it tight to my face it's a little better, but I can see the edges of the screen and it's still a narrower FOV than the CV1 with the lenses as wide as they'll go. This is the one trade-off in the Rift S that I just can't accept.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,809 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:

Honestly I have no idea. 

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,880 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    Zenbane said:
    In related news,

Coming out of GDC, I was pretty much convinced that I would NOT purchase Rift-S. Now, however, after reading all the negative hyperbole against it... fml, I know I'm gonna buy it. Rift-S is in my future. Thanks, naysayers!
    :p

Excellent, where would we be without you entry levels consumers plumping up the market. You have my eternal thanks for your sacrifice and low standards :p 

I can afford all standards. Both high and low. The problem is that what many of you argue as "high standards" really only exists in your minds. Show me a true tangible high standard VR HMD and I'll surely buy it!

Until then, it's all theorycrafting. And where would the forum be without you... entry level thinkers. ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,468 Volunteer Moderator
    vannagirl said:

I don't know, 16 posts without any long loopy tangents,  jabs at the former Oculus execs, proclamations about owning shares of Facebook, and claims of having given Luckey the idea for the Rift... I think it's a false flag. Our old friend just doesn't have the restraint to last this long without showing his hand.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,956 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    vannagirl said:

Well, I do not know for sure how anything that is above the Rift S in specs got labelled "high end".

I think it began after everybody realised how disappointing the S was and then gradually, over many arguments and weeks turned what was previously our reasonable feature hopes for a new headset into 'high end'.

If I had been away for a month and logged on here I would thought the body snatchers had run loose in the forum.

I just wanted a reasonable upgrade in resolution and if they had given us even 10 or 15 degrees more FOV, I would have bought it. The DK1 was probably about that more and unless you have experienced it, you can't realise how much difference that makes to immersion.

But 3 years and no FOV increase (if I count back to the reduction from the DK1 FOV that is about 5 years). That was the deal breaker for me. 

With regard to price, I would probably go up to 800 for the right headset (considering I have to get a graphics card also). However if Oculus had even made that small effort to make the upgrade worth while, I would have happily paid 450-500 for just that modest of increases. (Still luv ya Oculus though)
    People will be all over the Valve forum if index costs the earth and isn't very high resolution. I've just tried looking for the Valve forum and can't find it?
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,956 Valuable Player
    edited April 16
    I am not looking for high resolution though but a reasonable increase in resolution and a higher FOV. You can't have both at the moment realistically.
    Project 2501
    Those of you old enough may have forgotten how long it took from 1st generation video games to develop into what b it is today. DECADES!!!!! Modern day Vr is just an infant.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    I'll take increased clarity over FOV anyday. 
    As a GO owner I can vouch the GO optics are really really good.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,721 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    vannagirl said:

I don't know, 16 posts without any long loopy tangents,  jabs at the former Oculus execs, proclamations about owning shares of Facebook, and claims of having given Luckey the idea for the Rift... I think it's a false flag. Our old friend just doesn't have the restraint to last this long without showing his hand.
    mmm, I had my own theory that 100% anti-Oculus bait posts may be an indicator of another previous friend of ours who doesn't want to say too much and give the game away.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)