New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,201 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    inovator said:
    It's going to be a lot of fun when the shit hits the fan and all the headsets are out including index. 
    We will see - I really don't know what to think about Index yet or what it brings to the table. Just not enough information on the table yet. If some of the rumors are true - then maybe they will have something, but who knows XD?
    Well we know it will have - uh hum - audio!
    ;) 
    Pretty good start.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,563 Volunteer Moderator
    I other news Quest pre-order was available for 1 minute on Amazon UK .. is gone now ;(
    After your April 1st post, no-one is going to believe you.

I did check though.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    vannagirl said:
    Can I ask what everyone who is upset with no high end, what spec they were expecting from oculus and what price point.

for me, every new oculus hmd that improves on the last in the key areas of tracking, visual, sweetspot, godrays is going in the right direction still.

this threads kind of left me all confused what we all want from oculus, have they announced no more pcvr, did I misunderstand??
    I was upset over it not being so much an upgrade, audio is worse - tracking remains to be seen - FOV is basically the same - small bump in resolution. Looks like a WMR headset using the Oculus Eco System. Downgrade in refresh rate, though in reality might not necessarily make a difference so that remains to be seen.

For me and how I use my Rift, it would have been totally different and very exciting if they had improved a little on the display, fov, audio, and at least as good tracking ( regardless of lighting)  if not better( tracking of course remains to be seen). Would not necessarily needed to have been a major improvement in each of those categories, just some.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,258 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    vannagirl said:
    possibly paradox's post is a bit cringeworthy, especially if Netheri is French

Are we all still pretending we don’t know who Paradox really is ??  :p
    I don't know, 16 posts without any long loopy tangents,  jabs at the former Oculus execs, proclamations about owning shares of Facebook, and claims of having given Luckey the idea for the Rift... I think it's a false flag. Our old friend just doesn't have the restraint to last this long without showing his hand.
    mmm, I had my own theory that 100% anti-Oculus bait posts may be an indicator of another previous friend of ours who doesn't want to say too much and give the game away.
    That I could see... you might be onto something.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,894 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    vannagirl said:
    Can I ask what everyone who is upset with no high end, what spec they were expecting from oculus and what price point.

for me, every new oculus hmd that improves on the last in the key areas of tracking, visual, sweetspot, godrays is going in the right direction still.

this threads kind of left me all confused what we all want from oculus, have they announced no more pcvr, did I misunderstand??
    I was upset over it not being so much an upgrade, audio is worse - tracking remains to be seen - FOV is basically the same - small bump in resolution. Looks like a WMR headset using the Oculus Eco System. Downgrade in refresh rate, though in reality might not necessarily make a difference so that remains to be seen.

For me and how I use my Rift, it would have been totally different and very exciting if they had improved a little on the display, fov, audio, and at least as good tracking ( regardless of lighting)  if not better( tracking of course remains to be seen). Would not necessarily needed to have been a major improvement in each of those categories, just some.

My only disappointment now is the IPD adjustment given that I'm in the extreme end. 

This video by SweViver convinced me that LCD is better than OLED. I would buy the Rift-S if it had IPD adjustment.

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 485
    Trinity
    ^^^^
    Ya, the only real issue I have with the Rift S is the lack of a mechanical IPD adjust. 
    However, I'm still getting a S because I can use the GO just fine.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    dburne said:

@dburne -  I don't think you can have seen many hands on Rift -S reviews or the latest updates about it. First of all the audio is something they are looking at including, but the clip on headphones will be an extra if they are not already included in the box.

The Lcd screen is a miles better the CV1 display, it reduces screen door effect and adds pixels. If you watched that YouTube video I put up then you would know most of what you have said is incorrect. The display is improved, the tracking is good without requiring sensors. The audio will be good, so it's only the Fov you are correct about.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    vannagirl said:

For me at the start was the trade offs - but I was ok with them - but I thought everyone else was over or under valuing the trade off as good things as well. I mean for example, the new tracking as the 2nd coming saying it works perfect and as good or better than the current tracking - while in videos - that wsn't the case and show the flaws of the new tracking method.

Following that - the comments Oculus made over Rift S and Quest interviews saying that no one would pay over 450 and that the price point kept them having some smaller things like hings. This is maybe like 90% of my post in this thread talking about it. Like what does that mean for future headsets?

Last, if price is going to be a limiting factor - what does it mean when we start hitting hardware walls for specs of the headset where cost just wont be going down instead be increasing. For example, when screen technology stop improving as quickly and the cost will just continue to get higher for higher res ones even though the majority would have the hardware (though raw power or from tricks like eye tracking) to run said screens.

As for a headset that would be nice - 800-600 the included some nice extras like a hing for easy in and out VR, switch back to dual panels over a single one (to get IDP back), and 1,440 x 1,600 per eye full RGB LCDs (they do make them). Also the return of our audio - just with a better design to remove the issues other people had with their headset (I didn't have the issue knock on wood - but I can understand why others would be upset here). Everything else is fine as far as a trade off in terms of what you get for what it takes away such as the lower refresh rates (means less work for the GPU), vision tracking (No more cameras/easy in and out VR/problems with tracking in the back), and the halo head-strap (Comfort - but cost extra / not as tight of a fit). 

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't feel like this would have been too unreasonable of a request. The thing is - they can't wait 3 years to release something like this - it be too little too late and by then there will already be new things that will flip vr on its head by then. On the flip side - they can't even wait a year because if they release a CV2 - it'll be too soon. They almost have to say they are releasing two headsets instead going forward - one for entry and the other for enthusiast at this point. At least then they can release a 1.5 in 2020 and a 2.0 in 2023 while they release a entry headset in 2019 1.3 and again in 2022 1.7
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,368 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    vannagirl said:

Looks can be deceiving though. The DCS World dev was wetting his pants over how good the displays and lenses are and Ben from Road To VR said that it was only a notch down from the Vive Pro in terms of clarity. It's pretty obvious that Oculus are still ahead of everyone else when it comes to lenses.

Being an LCD headset the blacks aren't going to be great but then again they're not too good on the Rift CV1 either tbh.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Being an LCD headset the blacks aren't going to be great but then again they're not too good on the Rift CV1 either tbh.

Just to add to this look at the YouTube video MowTin put up above and you can see what deep blacks do to images you are supposed to see in the background, but can't because it's to black. So using Lcd is much better then using Oled displays. With Lcd you get to see the background images you are supposed to see.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 485
    Trinity
    edited April 2019
    The LCD screens used by Oculus are also Lower Pixel Persistence than OLED.  So they have less blurring/smudging of colors/blacks. The LCD probably doesn't need the 90 hz to fix those issues, that's probably why 80 hz is enough.
    https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-low-persistence/

Rift S has a lower refresh rate than the Rift- 80 Hz vs 90 Hz. But unlike with smartphones and monitors, in VR refresh rate is only half of the equation for how smooth motion will be. The other far less discussed (but just as important) aspect is the pixel persistence.

https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-low-persistence/

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Those of you old enough may have forgotten how long it took from 1st generation video games to develop into what b it is today. DECADES!!!!! Modern day Vr is just an infant.
    1981 - ZX81
    1982 CBM64
    cbm amiga 1985

I dunno.... i thought back in the day things moved very fast.. indeed so much so i would never expect that level of evolution these days

sadly yes i am old enough..... (though i never had a zx81, my 1st computer was the 48k speccy xmas 1982
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited April 2019
    Hard to believe how far we have already come in VR. I first purchased a DK1, 6 years ago now and it was the blurriest pile of poop I'd ever seen. I still used it though because the immersion was great.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Those of you old enough may have forgotten how long it took from 1st generation video games to develop into what b it is today. DECADES!!!!! Modern day Vr is just an infant.
    1981 - ZX81
    1982 CBM64
    cbm amiga 1985

I dunno.... i thought back in the day things moved very fast.. indeed so much so i would never expect that level of evolution these days

sadly yes i am old enough..... (though i never had a zx81, my 1st computer was the 48k speccy xmas 1982
    The 1st consumer video game was a crude tennis like game called pong by atari in 1971 that I owned. Yup those were the beginning days. I remember the famous atari failure et. Boy did atari get it wrong  728,000 et cartridges were buried in a landfill. It did take decades before we saw HD quality games. The young whippersnappers are expecting to much to fast with vr. It's going to happen gang. Don't worry.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,050 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I don't think it is fair to claim that Oculus should "come clean" about their "pivot (course correction)" when you have yet to come clean about your pivot (course correction) regarding the role Facebook and Oculus are playing in making Location-Based Entertainment a viable business model. Many of us read your posts from 2016-2018 where you argued that Consumer VR would only become mainstream if Location-Based Entertainment was able to "help drive it forward." Yet that never came to fruition. Now the world has witnessed Facebook and Oculus make Location-Based Entertainment more viable than ever with the launch of Oculus Quest. Prior to that, multiple articles have been released about the financial struggles and closures of LBE facilities around the world. LBE remained a struggling business model until very recently thanks to Oculus Quest.

Yet anytime someone brings this up, you take offense and deny the situation. Which, much like you enjoy accusing Oculus of doing, means you do not come clean about this serious pivot (course correction).

I think people should lead by example, especially if they are going to continue chastising public figures.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited April 2019
    snowdog said:
    dburne said:
    vannagirl said:

Looks can be deceiving though. The DCS World dev was wetting his pants over how good the displays and lenses are and Ben from Road To VR said that it was only a notch down from the Vive Pro in terms of clarity. It's pretty obvious that Oculus are still ahead of everyone else when it comes to lenses.

That is true, but also Wags was using a Rift S Oculus sent him to check out with an NDA signed. He stated he could not say any more than he already had...

Understand I will likely get a Rift S - very begrudgingly I would add - to have for my Oculus games and future Oculus games. But I will also likely get another headset for my main gaming being flight sims.  I am still just very disappointed in what they are bringing us with the S.

Don

inovator said:
    inovator said:
    1981 - ZX81
    1982 CBM64
    cbm amiga 1985

The 1st consumer video game was a crude tennis like game called pong by atari in 1971 that I owned. Yup those were the beginning days. I remember the famous atari failure et. Boy did atari get it wrong  728,000 et cartridges were buried in a landfill. It did take decades before we saw HD quality games. The young whippersnappers are expecting to much to fast with vr. It's going to happen gang. Don't worry.
    Yep I had Pong also as a young adult. It was awesome at the time.
    Don

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,368 Valuable Player
    I hate rich people so much that I'm going to send MYSELF a turd in a box after I've won the Euromillions jackpot.  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    snowdog said:
    I hate rich people so much that I'm going to send MYSELF a turd in a box after I've won the Euromillions jackpot.  :D
    LOL better start sending it xD it looks like people are saying the cost of the Quest 128GB version cost too much now. *rolls eyes*
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    indeed.... a bit before my time (Jan 1976 vintage) although i know the history as it is super interesting imo.

I did have one of these tho, picked up from a carboot sale for £3 - i have no idea why but i remember it clearly. dunno how old i was but not very.... 10 maybe.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Great memories!
    kojack said:
    I go to bed, wake up the next day and there's 5 more pages in this thread!

vannagirl said:
    For my personal use, what I wanted from an Oculus headset is to at least equal the specs of the lowest of the recent competition. Every Windows MR headset from 2017 is higher res than the 2019 Rift-S.
    Ok, the Rift-S has better tracking than a WMR headset, but I'm not a fan of inside-out for my personal situation anyway.
    Removing the headphones is a backwards step. I've got good headphones here (such as my $300 audio technicas or my corsair wireless hs70), but using them with a vr headset is annoying. As large circumaurals, they won't even work with a RIft-S due to it's large thick headband.

Plus my IPD is 68mm, which is outside the recommended range of the Rift-S.

But from a professional point of view (as a game dev teacher) the Rift-S is great for classroom use. Quick setup, less fiddling with cables and stuff. Also easier to dev for than the Quest (I hate android dev).
    With lower refresh rate and only marginal increase in res, my work laptop should continue to handle VR fine.

For new users who don't own a CV1, it seems like a sensible headset. For CV1 owners who hate the sensor setup, it also seems ok.

Because of the sensor setup I went from using the rift almost daily to just weekends. I used my psvr during the week. Now that all changes. I'll be in hog heaven.
    inovator said:
    kojack said:

vannagirl said:
    For my personal use, what I wanted from an Oculus headset is to at least equal the specs of the lowest of the recent competition. Every Windows MR headset from 2017 is higher res than the 2019 Rift-S.
    Ok, the Rift-S has better tracking than a WMR headset, but I'm not a fan of inside-out for my personal situation anyway.
    Removing the headphones is a backwards step. I've got good headphones here (such as my $300 audio technicas or my corsair wireless hs70), but using them with a vr headset is annoying. As large circumaurals, they won't even work with a RIft-S due to it's large thick headband.

But from a professional point of view (as a game dev teacher) the Rift-S is great for classroom use. Quick setup, less fiddling with cables and stuff. Also easier to dev for than the Quest (I hate android dev).
    With lower refresh rate and only marginal increase in res, my work laptop should continue to handle VR fine.

For new users who don't own a CV1, it seems like a sensible headset. For CV1 owners who hate the sensor setup, it also seems ok.

Because of the sensor setup I went from using the rift almost daily to just weekends. I used my psvr during the week. Now that all changes. I'll be in hog heaven.
    I have been fortunate with my sensors, set them up one time and they have been great ever since. One on each side of my desk but they never get really moved. Well I set them up again though when I built this new PC in Jan. They have been very trouble free for me and tracking has been excellent.

Don

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,638 Valuable Player
    edited April 2019
    dburne said:
    I have been fortunate with my sensors, set them up one time and they have been great ever since. One on each side of my desk but they never get really moved. Well I set them up again though when I built this new PC in Jan. They have been very trouble free for me and tracking has been excellent.

Yea they don't have many problems if you use the included cables or short runs. It's when you introduce long extensions that all the problems arise lol. I had my setup working error free for about a year but I keep having cables fail or start getting intermittent problems. I had enough. I'm actually using the HTC Vive Linkbox at the moment for my O+ and it works great. I have the USB hub I linked earlier which I used for two months with no issues as my backup in case this fails.

*edit* whoops forgot what thread I was in.
    dburne said:
    inovator said:
    kojack said:

vannagirl said:

My brother is like u in that way. Unfortunately most people don't have that tremendous advantage. I have to move my coffee table then move 3 table like shelves in position for the sensors and since they are moved everytime u have to do the sensor set up every time. Then when I finish you have to move everything back. OMG sometimes I'm so into the game it's all of the sudden 1:30 in the morning and my heart sinks when I realize I have to put everything away. I will feel so free with the rift s.