cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end oculus vr.. don't hold your breath

bigmike20vt
Visionary
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=de&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=...

Pretty bleak reading imo excuse long link Google shortener not working on it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
401 REPLIES 401

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Don't know what to make of that really. I'm already aware they want to keep the cost of VR headsets down which isn't a bad thing. But if Rift 2 isn't being worked on they could have bumped the resolution of the Rift -S to that of the Oculus Quest at-least. 

That's quite a short interview though and I'm a bit confused by it tbh. You could read into it that there isn't a Rift 2 being developed, but I'm sure there must be one if Oculus want to continue with PC -VR?

ShocksVR
Superstar
I think we can expect future Rifts to be around the $400 price point; that's a good thing IMO.  And with Rubin hinting the Rift refresh cycle may now be closer to a cell phone refresh cycle, perhaps they'll release a new model every 2 years.

Either way, I believe Rubin said somewhere that the market just isn't there for $450+ VR headsets (that isn't to say VR super enthusiasts won't pay $800+ for VR from other competitors).  And if any company has the data to know what consumers want and their spending limits, it would be Facebook.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

CrashFu
Consultant
Fortunately, I think the specs of Rift-S will be more than good enough for the large majority of people.

But for the ones who think they absolutely NEED something "better"... I hope Oculus will either consider adding third-party headset support to Home in the near future, or continue being supportive of programs like Revive.

'cause even high-spec tech snobs shouldn't have to miss out on the best content and community that VR has to offer. :kissing_heart:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Richooal
Consultant
It seems to be as I feared. Oculus was always about leading edge VR experiences. Facebook was always about leading edge social media.

Facebook's huge financial backing has been more than helpful to develop the hardware and software, but it looks like now they have hobbled the VR experience part in favour of the social media part.

Facebook searched the world to find the best people to work on VR. They have many employees who are used to working at the forefront of technological development. I'm wondering how many more will jump ship.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Rubin also mentions the he doesn't consider 2nd generation unless it has full body tracking so it's going to be Rift-S and Quest  foreseeable future for 6DOF.

Dang.  That's a bad outlook.  I'm all about slowing down increments to provide meaningful upgrades and revisions but why not decent increased resolution, eye tracking, and FOV as a 2nd generation goal for Rift.  I'd rather see that happen first.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

CrashFu said:

Fortunately, I think the specs of Rift-S will be more than good enough for the large majority of people.

But for the ones who think they absolutely NEED something "better"... I hope Oculus will either consider adding third-party headset support to Home in the near future, or continue being supportive of programs like Revive.

'cause even high-spec tech snobs shouldn't have to miss out on the best content and community that VR has to offer. :kissing_heart:

Nailed it (but without the shot a cross the bow of the high end users). Imo it's not a problem if Oculus can get official support for high end VR hmds but if they don't it really sucks for those happy to invest a little more into VR but realise that oculus still have the best software infrastructure
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't worry too much. You don't spend millions developing new technology like that shown in the Half Dome prototype and not use it.

Oculus need high end PC VR, I suspect something may have been lost in translation. We'll get our Tock in three year's time.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
3 years is a hell of a long time snowdog. It was not so long ago you were saying oculus would never release a very minor upgrade and that it would be madness to wait till 2021 for a CV2 😞
I am not knocking rift S. Getting affordable reasonable quality VR for mass adoption is vital but imo a product to excite at the high end too keep people excited (as well as develop tech to trickle down) is also good imo. There is a reason Nvidia sell rtx 2080ti even tho most people don't want to spend beyond an rtx 2060 (and I am being generous at that).
It may not matter, ideally I do not want to leave oculus infrastructure however for that to happen I think all my eggs are going in the openXR basket. 
It really is valves move now, however with even windows MR offering higher resolution , higher FOV devices than rift AND with adjustable IPD my confidence in oculus hardware is at an all time low even though their software rocks

saami81
Rising Star
I believe that Oculus did Rift-S because there are no good and cheapish inside-out tracking headsets yet. Samsung odyssey+ is close, but with only 2 cameras it fall short to deliver. Not sure, if controllers are as good as touch controllers either.