New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Upgraded Graphics and Motherboard and Oculus Rift 'freezes' for a second or two

MartynJKMartynJK Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi Everyone.

I have just upgraded my Rift system to a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor and AMD board, and updated the graphics card to a Red Dragon RX Vega 56 8GB GPU, so it should be as good as you can get for the Rift.  But since installing it I had 'freezing' screens requiring a complete reboot, and often i get short freezes, lasting a couple of seconds, and the guns (in Dead and Buried) slide away to the left. This lot replaced a GTX1060 which worked without any of these issues.

I put a dedicated USB 3 card in, and I use a 3 sensor setup, and all the setup and diagnostics say that they are working OK.  I use a USB 2 for the third sensor, so as per the recommendations.

I have used DDU to clean all the drivers out and reinstall, and even reinstalled windows from scratch, but still getting an issue.  On the AMD GPU, it recognises the Oculus as a game in the control panel, so that seems OK. I also get a USB error 10 every now and then, that stops the headset sound working, but if I restart the computer it generally goes away.

IS there any settings I could check, or any recommendations on settings that I am missing?

Thanks

MartynJK

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,209 Valuable Player
    edited April 13
    Because you just upgrade I would do the following:

1) Reset your CPU and GPU. Sometimes if one of the pins doesn't connect it can cause some weird issues. Same with RAM as well.

2) Make sure RAM is stable with your new CPU. Reports about Ryzen and memory sometimes not always working together can cause some issues like stutter in games.

3) Upgrade Windows, BIOS, and Drivers. Again, Ryzen still consider new - so it wont hurt to make sure everything is up to date.

4) It's possible and has happen - that you upgraded outside of your PSU limits as well and is just having a hard time keeping up. Maybe spec your whole PC for us?

Is it only with VR games - have you tried it with none VR games? How far did you break down into this?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,454
    3Jane
    edited April 13
    Also check if any more Win Updates needed but also Update USB hubs then reconnect all Devices, Disable any Sound Drivers not used, Uninstall unused items. My mouse was double-clicking on singles and was due to USB Hub needing Update which already had done when installed fresh.
  • MartynJKMartynJK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks guys - let me run through the above, one thing on memory is that I upgraded that to  2 x Corsair  (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz, but on the bios settings it defaulted to 2200, I changed it to 3000mhz but then it seemed to make things worse.  In the end I left it on auto, all the other bios settings are as default. I will rerun all the updates and see if that makes a difference, and I will get the full PC spec - maybe there is an incompatibility somewhere.  This system is dedicated to the Rift, there are no other Apps or games on it.

• djwqvedjwqve Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Try to reinstall motherboard chipset drivers.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,454
    3Jane
    Try reconnecting Rift whilst Powered down also.
  • MartynJKMartynJK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    So I ran some tests, and the RAM was showing 8GB, for some reason one of the memory boards had come unseated, so reset that, so well spotted and thanks for getting me to check it, and the 'freezing' has gone, but the graphics still glitch. I am going to do a complete reset of everything again.  For a dedicated fast system its still very glitchy, and feels like something is still not running correctly.

Out of interest the Memory is rated at 3000mhz, and the auto function sets it at 2200mhz, if i get the bios to fix at 3000mhz then the Rift just locks and crashes.  Does that sound right? Might I have some dodgey memory?  Any way to test it?

Thanks

MartynJK