cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pimax LCD vs OLED

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Clnp1afIU

Saw this today - wow he cover what LCD vs OLED differences pretty well. He gives though the lens screen shots and over all I feel like it covers the base of the differences. As with most things LCD vs OLED is a trade off until OLED can get full RGB and I feel like the screen shots cover what most have have been saying though:)

I would still prefer the OLED base off the screen shots, but at either case - I hope this video gives more information on why LCD isn't a bad choice either.1b5ip6dwq7a7.png
8 REPLIES 8

MowTin
Expert Trustee
The SDE in the 5K XR is very apparent. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

Yes, the XR is using OLED. It's about the same look CV1 had even though its a higher resolution. It's one of the trade off with currently found in OLED. Until OLED gets full rgb you get a bit more SDE. On the other hand - you do trade color and blacks over what LCD gives you in return. Keep in mind these images are zoom in like he said - so you see a bit more SDE then you normally would.

Not saying one is better - just talking about the trade offs and what we see. Over all - both sides are correct from what it looks like in terms of what OLED and LCD bring to the table and what trade offs they present.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I just saw this video. I didn't notice the video in your link. (Do you know why sometimes YouTube links are just links instead of a thumbnail?)

Anyway, 

SweViver convinced me that LCD is better overall than OLED for VR. You lose black blacks but you gain better clarity. And I wasn't even aware of the black crush issue that OLEDs have. And now SweViver really shows you what "black smear" is which explains why Oculus uses spud or whatever to preven the oled pixels from going complete black. 

We just have to live with black that are not truly black. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
meh. SweViver is a trend hopper. His videos have zero redeeming qualities imo.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

His review of the Pimax was exceptionally detailed and critical. He does great work and puts in a lot of work. But you're entitled to your opinion. Everyone can watch this video for themselves and judge.

https://youtu.be/w5Clnp1afIU?t=467

bigmike20vt
Visionary

MowTin said:

indeed it is, we really need a shot to show the strengths of the oled i think.  elite dangerous or affected or summat.
from those shots the oled is the worst of the bunch, but that is luckys tale, which is not a good look for oled (oleds struggle with orange, something elite dangerous players come to understand quickly)

The 8k really shines in that shot tho!
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

That I would agree with. I put no stock in his reviews.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I read SweViver's posts on the official Pimax forums. He was an absolute trainwreck.

I'm not judging anyone who enjoys his videos. I just can't separate my view of him personally from whatever it is he tries to accomplish with his channel.