How do I run multiple apps on rift — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How do I run multiple apps on rift

SumatchiSumatchi Posts: 7
NerveGear
I am trying to run a twitch chat probram like OVRdrop to be able to see my twitch chat while streaming, however, If I load chat and then try to load my game, it comes up with a message saying "running multiple apps may cause performance issues. " and it forces me to close my game to use chat. Anyone have a workaround for this?

I know I can popout the twitch chat window and pin it, but this is much less useful than having it on the back of my hand. 

Answers

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,139 Volunteer Moderator
    The games you run must be pure steamvr ones. Games with oculus native support (even if started from steam) will go direct to the rift and not allow any other vr apps to run. OVRDrop is a steamvr overlay and only works with games running in steamvr mode.

• SumatchiSumatchi Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    The games you run must be pure steamvr ones. Games with oculus native support (even if started from steam) will go direct to the rift and not allow any other vr apps to run. OVRDrop is a steamvr overlay and only works with games running in steamvr mode.

So is there a way to do this or no? I'm trying to play pavlovVR and also use OVRdrop or another chat capturing program, but rift won't let me run both
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,629
    3Jane
    Run other non VR APPs no problem, Discord, Skype, etc. and can use "Pull Out" to see them in game if you like also.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,139 Volunteer Moderator
    Sumatchi said:
    kojack said:

So is there a way to do this or no? I'm trying to play pavlovVR and also use OVRdrop or another chat capturing program, but rift won't let me run both

A little background:
    Games can be built to use two different ways of running on a Rift - Oculus SDK (the best way) or SteamVR (less efficient since it stacks on top of the Oculus SDK anyway).
    All games on the Oculus store are Oculus SDK only (they aren't allowed to support SteamVR in the Oculus Store files).
    Games you buy on Steam have several choices:
    - only uses Oculus SDK
    - only uses SteamVR
    - has both, either the game or you pick the one to use

I've taken a look for Pavlov info (I don't have it). Apparently the Steam version is the third kind, it supports both Oculus and SteamVR and you can right click on the game in Steam and select the sdk to use. BUT, it's broken and ignores that, always using the Oculus SDK if you are on a Rift.

The problem is OVRDrop is a SteamVR app that uses the SteamVR Overlay feature. This is not available to games running on the Oculus SDK. So OVRDrop and Pavlov aren't normally compatible if you run on a Rift.

Although there might be a way to do it. I did read that if you find the pavlov.exe file, right click on it, select properties, select compatibility tab, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box and select Windows 7. That makes the oculus sdk fail and SteamVR is used instead, which might make it compatible with OVRDrop. Worth a try anyway.

• SumatchiSumatchi Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I shall give this a shot, thanks