Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Forum Dark Mode

kojack
MVP
MVP
No longer working!
This was for the old forum.

Here's a mostly working version of a dark mode for this forum.
It features the following:
- generally dark theme for everything
- posts by moderators are coloured orange
- posts by oculus staff are coloured blue
- avatars have been enlarged from 40x40 to 60x60
- emojis in posts are half size
- quotes are coloured a dark cyan, increasing in brightness as they are stacked (quoted quotes, etc)
- code blocks are a greeny colour
- spoilers are a red-ish purple
- in the edit box for a new post, you can now see where quotes are (previously they were invisible)
- signatures are darkened so they don't look like normal post text
- like, lol and awesome counts are yellow
- the flag post button is red
- announcement posts in the thread list page are coloured a dark greenish cyan

There are a few broken bits at the moment. The oculus forum does some tricky stuff, some of its combo boxes use css that is injected after the page is loaded, which I can't override. So for example I currently can't change the community combo box correctly (the one where you pick community / developer / vip / foreign language boards).
I also can't currently correctly colour the OculusSupport account's first post in a thread, for some reason that one account is an admin but isn't given admin css. I can detect it in some situations, but not all (css is rather limited).

There's also a bunch I probably haven't noticed is missing. It's a work in progress.

To use

First install Stylus or similar (Stylish probably works too). You can get it from here:
Stylus will detect the script and ask you if you want to install. In theory (not tested) it should by default auto update if I make changes. Done.
The repo is here if you want to check for changes manually, It's in my previous grease monkey repo: https://github.com/rajetic/oculusforumtool

Apparently I may be able to add configuration variables for easy customising of colour and turning features on/off. I'll look into that later.

Here's an example:
3rvzpfbm46jb.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
18 REPLIES 18

Digikid1
Consultant
Will try this later on. Love dark modes. So much easier on the eyes. 

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Oh my god. What a bliss!
 Seems to work really well on the fly.
eegkdub7tvg7.jpg
Thanks a lot for this @kojack !
Really really appreciated.
Be good, die great !

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Looking forward to testing 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nekto2
Superstar
Do you have ... cookies? 🙂

Nekto2
Superstar
Could you make a style which is ok for VR browser?

Digikid1
Consultant
This is MUCH better!!!!!!!  Thanks @kojack

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oddly enough, I don't like dark themes, except on youtube (so it doesn't distract from the video). 🙂
I am going to make an option where it has everything except the dark theme, so I can use it to get the new quote stuff.

I haven't tried the forum from a vr browser, I'll take a look.

I just tested, the dark mode works in Firefox for android too. After installing Stylus (there doesn't seem to be a chrome android version, but Firefox has it), go to the github link I gave above. It won't install though. Go to the firefox menu and select  "Request Desktop Site". Now it will pick up the script and install. Go back to the menu and turn off the desktop site option.

I may need to modify it a bit for mobile though, the bigger avatars mean less post area on screen.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Tried to get it to work on the mobile but no dice, any chance further down the line mate ?? 
Edit NM I just read above doh !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
hm9mgfxa77do.jpg

NICE !!!!